IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I went to the local uni and know a few decent Villa fans, but it has to be said, it is getting to the point where being an Aston Villa fan should be illegal.

These people shouldn't be allowed to freely roam our streets until education is properly restored to all parts of Birmingham and drug use is curtailed.

Don't think I've ever come across such a mix of downright stupidity as well as being delusional. Hard to tell which affliction is more common at Villa.

I work with an Aston Villa fan- they're alright, don't seem to have ideas above Aston Villa's station yet.

Family friend with an older one too- quite fatalistic, quite humorous with it- but they seem to be very much an exception to the rule. 

Social media surely magnifies it though, but yeah they seem really quite arrogant and idiotic as a rule as you say.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

True, we wouldn't be able to flog him to Villa next season for a huge increase

Mark Ashton says " leave it to me".

Don't they understand we neither want or need to sell Webster. When you want to sell then the market will dictate the price but when a club is in our situation they, not the market, decide the value.

It may change if the player insists on moving but that doesn't paper to be the case. If Webster did go to Villa he could find himself in the same position as Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid, back in the Championship within 12 months.

And if there is any Villa fans reading this forum, there are other clubs interested who are established in the Premier League so either pay up or shut up!

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Vijay Daryanani: The problem is that everyone knows we’re loaded! I expect us to make some late signings, not good but we can’t be ripped off

Nick Cannon: Everyone is taking the p*** because we are loaded but at some point we will need to start paying over the odds if we want a proper sized squad

Chris Davies: Crazy valuations on players not even premier league proven

Michael Knott: Werent Bcfc one of the club's whinging about Villa not obeying FFP.  
So as revenge they think can screw silly money out of us. 
The 12mll is closer the true value.

Paul Russon: just forget Bristol trying to screw us cos they think we have money to burn, move on.

Related image

Just under a year ago they were struggling to pay their bills and were on the verge of the taxman issuing a winding up order. 

The news that Xiao was selling a share of the club caused their forum to collectively wet itself with relief and anticipation. Posters were commenting that the new owners money would enable them to buy top quality players  which were needed to secure promotion,  conveniently ignoring the fact that they had just been on the verge of going bust.

Suggestions by some of their own fans that they might have serious ffp problems were met with numerous comments almost suggesting that ffp didn't really apply to clubs like Vila because  the premier league wanted and needed clubs like Villa back in the fold, so it would be OK.

They are a big club with an illustrious history - one which we can only dream of- but the sense of entitlement many their fans express was, and still is,  excruciating. 

As for Webster's valuation, the bad news for Villa is that Mark Ashton has approached the valuer who valued Pride Park for Mel Morris and we are working to the figure he's given! 

5 minutes ago, numbeast said:

Don't they understand we neither want or need to sell Webster. When you want to sell then the market will dictate the price but when a club is in our situation they, not the market, decide the value.

It may change if the player insists on moving but that doesn't paper to be the case. If Webster did go to Villa he could find himself in the same position as Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid, back in the Championship within 12 months.

And if there is any Villa fans reading this forum, there are other clubs interested who are established in the Premier League so either pay up or shut up!

Can we vote for  "shut up" ?

Bristol City: Following talks with Adam Webster about his future, the football club has decided after much deliberation that we'll be prepared to consider a swap deal for Jack Grealish

Aston Villa: Are you out of your minds? Don't be so ridiculous.

Bristol City: You started it

I am a Villa fan but unfortunately it is not up to me which players we try and purchase or how much we are prepared to pay. Personally, I like Webster and I would like to see Villa buy Webster but that will be down to negotiations between the two clubs. So many fans get caught up in parochial nonsense when it comes to transfers. Outside of maybe 4 or 5 clubs in the world every player has a price and every player is for sale. If a CL club tried to buy any Vill player (not that we have CL quality players, maybe possibly one) then there is nothing Villa can do about it other than try to get the best price for him. This is just how things work. Like it or not, Villa is a more attractive proposition than Bristol as we are in the PL and have the associate PL earnings so can pay higher wages. This is not meant as a negative to Bristol City, it is just a simple fact. For the last 3 years Villa were in the Championship and every PL club had the upper hand on Villa. Look at Bryan, he basically ran out of Villa Park when he was just about to sign for us 12 months ago because a PL team came calling. 

It makes sound business sense for Bristol City to quote a higher price than they would accept and also for Villa to offer a lower price than they are prepared to pay and usually somewhere in the middle becomes the actual sale price. As it is not just Villa interested in Webster, there are a number of other PL clubs I do think it will be virtually impossible to hold on to him. Villa would probably offer him 30k+ a week and with the opportunity to play in the PL it will be very hard for Webster not to have his head turned and force a move through.

Anyway, with the cash from Kelly and probably the cash from Webster that is a lot of money to invest in a team looking for Championship promotion. Spent wisely and I expect you guys will be pushing for the PL next season.

Good luck next year, I hope u manage to get promoted, I think you were unlucky to lose out on the top 6 to Derby, things just rolled their way towards the end and not so much your way. Fulham and Leeds next year are my thoughts for top 2 but Leeds just manage to shoot themselves in the foot every year and bottle it. I can't see Derby making playoffs, Boro a big risk with JW as manager so the opportunity is there for the taking but in my opinion you need a clinical striker, you are just too weak up front. Tammy saved us last year and was worth whatever loan fee and wages we paid but you guys already know the value of Tammy. If u get a 25+ striker u are a good bet for the PL next year (I would stay away from Hogan!). Hopefully we will not be passing you next May on our return to the Championship.

32 minutes ago, Olé said:

Bristol City: Following talks with Adam Webster about his future, the football club has decided after much deliberation that we'll be prepared to consider a swap deal for Jack Grealish

Aston Villa: Are you out of your minds? Don't be so ridiculous.

Bristol City: You started it

Haha! Copying that!

35 minutes ago, Begley said:

I am a Villa fan but unfortunately it is not up to me which players we try and purchase or how much we are prepared to pay. Personally, I like Webster and I would like to see Villa buy Webster but that will be down to negotiations between the two clubs. So many fans get caught up in parochial nonsense when it comes to transfers. Outside of maybe 4 or 5 clubs in the world every player has a price and every player is for sale. If a CL club tried to buy any Vill player (not that we have CL quality players, maybe possibly one) then there is nothing Villa can do about it other than try to get the best price for him. This is just how things work. Like it or not, Villa is a more attractive proposition than Bristol as we are in the PL and have the associate PL earnings so can pay higher wages. This is not meant as a negative to Bristol City, it is just a simple fact. For the last 3 years Villa were in the Championship and every PL club had the upper hand on Villa. Look at Bryan, he basically ran out of Villa Park when he was just about to sign for us 12 months ago because a PL team came calling. 

It makes sound business sense for Bristol City to quote a higher price than they would accept and also for Villa to offer a lower price than they are prepared to pay and usually somewhere in the middle becomes the actual sale price. As it is not just Villa interested in Webster, there are a number of other PL clubs I do think it will be virtually impossible to hold on to him. Villa would probably offer him 30k+ a week and with the opportunity to play in the PL it will be very hard for Webster not to have his head turned and force a move through.

Anyway, with the cash from Kelly and probably the cash from Webster that is a lot of money to invest in a team looking for Championship promotion. Spent wisely and I expect you guys will be pushing for the PL next season.

Good luck next year, I hope u manage to get promoted, I think you were unlucky to lose out on the top 6 to Derby, things just rolled their way towards the end and not so much your way. Fulham and Leeds next year are my thoughts for top 2 but Leeds just manage to shoot themselves in the foot every year and bottle it. I can't see Derby making playoffs, Boro a big risk with JW as manager so the opportunity is there for the taking but in my opinion you need a clinical striker, you are just too weak up front. Tammy saved us last year and was worth whatever loan fee and wages we paid but you guys already know the value of Tammy. If u get a 25+ striker u are a good bet for the PL next year (I would stay away from Hogan!). Hopefully we will not be passing you next May on our return to the Championship.

Not all villa fans are that bad then ay! Remember going to Villa park as a kid and being in awe of the holt end, you beat Chelsea with pablo angel and hitzelsperger. I disagree though I think we will keep hold of webster, just like you kept Grealish. He's got three years on his contract, we don't need to sell, if we don't go up this year he will be sold next summer. 

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Hourihane’s theatrics ensured that things didn’t roll our way. 

It was never a penalty, unfortunately referring is not the best. I do think that over the course of a season these things work out. J Rod scored a ridiculous handball to get an equaliser against us for the Baggies.

I like Pep's (Manchester's one and not the Blues one) attitude towards things going against City. He always look for reasons why City were at fault and does not blame refs or player antics. Although Hourihane should not have won a penalty I think Bristol City's problem is that they don't have striker. If you had taken your chances against us in the first half you would give a shyte if we got a dodgy pen or not. Hopefully you will get a decent one this summer. With the cash from selling defenders maybe a cheeky bid to take Che Adams from our neighbours. He looks quality and would give u the goals u need

So I guess if quite a number of clubs are after Webster then a bidding war could mean we do get a pretty big final offer, whatever that may be.

Ah the days of Das Hammer and JPA, I enjoyed those.

I think the only reason we kept Grealish last summer was because we had just been sold to some rich guys. It was the very end of the transfer window and I think it was partly a PR exercise to get fans on side. I also think Spurs were probably offering way too low an offer (bit like 12m for Webster) Also, it helped that he was a Villa fan however if he has a successful season in the PL then I expect he will be gone next summer. 

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Don't think I've ever come across such a mix of downright stupidity as well as being delusional.

Oh I think we know someone, don’t we children.. I think you’ll find Pirates are Villains as well

1 hour ago, Begley said:

Own up, you ain't a Villa fan, too sensible and dare I say humble ! :cool:

Own up, you ain't a Villa fan, too sensible and dare I say humble ! :cool:

HaHaHa

I have to be associated with all the muppets out there just because a particular team but hey, all football clubs have their idiot fans. Personally, I think it is great to be able to have some banter with fans from different clubs. Not one of my mates is a Villa fan (I don't live in Brum) and we have great fun chatting about football as we all support different teams albeit the last 3 years have been hell. I know some Villa fans think because we have wealthy owners we will do a Wolves next year in the PL. If we finish 17th on goal difference and avoid relegation I will think that as a hugely successful season and will be over the moon with it.

1 hour ago, Begley said:

Good post Begley and a pretty realistic view.

Remember, we sold Bryan, Flint and Reid for decent money last summer too (£26M?) so we're in a decent position financially ourselves. Selling Webster is not a necessity due to finances, hence we can ask for a larger fee than some are valuing our best player at.

1 hour ago, Begley said:

I think the majority of this is true. Its going to be about price and as I understand it no transfer request has been received and that is unlikely anyway. 

I’m not sure that Villa are head of anyone’s list of teams that he would want in view of the clubs that are interested, however if City are seriously interested in Hogan and his wages are not nuts Villa may be in the driving seat!

Remember, we sold Bryan, Flint and Reid for decent money last summer too (£26M?) so we're in a decent position financially ourselves. Selling Webster is not a necessity due to finances, hence we can ask for a larger fee than some are valuing our best player at.

Yep, u are in a good position to hang on there for a good price which is a nice position to be in. If u are going to do a deal Hourihane thrown in would be a good addition for you. He is a good Championship player and can definitely play in a top 6 Championship team, great at set pieces too and has probably only got a value of a few million. If I was a Bristol City supporter and if you asked me would I swap Webster for both Hourihane and Che Adams I would take it. If u got Villa to give enough cash to buy Adams it would be a good deal. Then u have cash to strengthen your defence too. 

The thing about getting promotion (Wolves aside) is that you need a team for promotion and you then need a different team for the PL. Getting the balance is very difficult. IMO the Championship is more about scoring goals  rather than having the best defence. Villa's defence was awful for most of the season but we did tighten up towards the end. The key to our promotion was we scored lots of goals with Tammy and the midfield. I watched a good few games of Bristol City last year and you were just too light up front to get promoted. You should have been 2 goals up on Villa when Hourihane 'won' a penalty. Then when you gave us a chance we punished you. Fix the up front and hopefully we will be in the same league next year

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I think the majority of this is true. Its going to be about price and as I understand it no transfer request has been received and that is unlikely anyway. 

I’m not sure that Villa are head of anyone’s list of teams that he would want in view of the clubs that are interested, however if City are seriously interested in Hogan and his wages are not nuts Villa may be in the driving seat!

It is.

But I doubt Villa or any other Prem team will pay the inflated price City are wanting.

If Webster kicks off then thats a different matter.

12 minutes ago, Rapax said:

Bristol Post saying Villa wont stop. If the 2nd bid is rejected, there will be a "3rd, 4th or 5th bid".

Well if that’s the case, let’s take them for £100m if they are just going to keep offering, that’s made our job a lot easier & it’ll help ease any future FFP issues with £100m in reserve.

46 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It is.

But I doubt Villa or any other Prem team will pay the inflated price City are wanting.

If Webster kicks off then thats a different matter.

City not having/wanting to sell is the key. 

I liken it to my mates with building company’s. If they don’t want a job then they bid an inflated price. If they get the job they are quids in. City don’t have to sell. So they inflate the price. Villa have a history of unsettling players ala Kodjia but in that case no one else was in for him. 

My thought is he will become unsettled and a bidding war will begin in earnest. Villa having Hogan and if the rumors are true that LJ fancy’s him then maybe a deal can be done, but Webster still has to say yes and if Everton, Newcastle and Leicester are sniffing then he has some decisions to make. 

I expect City to be offered double the 12 before they even discuss it seriously with the player. 

Archived