IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea but Maguire also had prem experience. And agree we are no pushovers but imo there is a more reasonable price than 30m.

The record champ sale is 22.5m for Maddison an attacker. 

The record defender is Ben Gibson just last summer who was similar age(prem exp too) and a club that also did not need to sell was just over 15m. 

So no way is 30m a number we can sell to AW and his agent imo. I get honouring a contract and all that but do not think that is realistic with the wage difference. 

With Gibson in mind, imo, the 17-18m plus add ons would set precedent for championship defenders. If we are selling for record fees I think everyone has to accept that

We don’t have to sell anything to his agent or Webster he is under contract to us,

And we saw with flint if his head has been turned he will be dropped,

all the cards are in the clubs court 

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We don’t have to sell anything to his agent or Webster he is under contract to us,

And we saw with flint if his head has been turned he will be dropped,

all the cards are in the clubs court 

Think that is naive. Webster holds cards as well and as said we have a 15-20m asset. The club can’t afford for his value to drop because they won’t sell him. Reject bid, players form drops and he is worth half that. It has happened before and will happen again. Also if the club wants to buy young players with high potential to sell on you can’t turn around and reject record bids(in my hypothetical it is a record). So yea there is more on the line than we have him for 3 more years. 

Hell Kodjia got his way in the end. Not saying Webster is the same or it is a likely scenario but if Webster wanted to force through a move he could. 

48 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Problem for Webster - and us - is his injury record. Being frank, he’s had an injury free year and that’s encouraging, if he doesn’t next then he’s going to start looking like a sick note. 

As good as he undoubtedly is, there is a part of me thinking to keep we are gambling as his stock and value is so damn high. 

What us lot don’t know is how much we are gambling. How much of a fee is our profit and what goes back to Ipswich. In that regard v a £12m bid, say that even goes to £18m, we don’t know how much is Bristol City’s funds. 

I must admit, as soon as we get to £8m profit or so, I’d be tempted to say could be time to go. 

If he has an injury hit season, we could have lost it - look how Maynard’s career went; if he doesn’t, well we rely on the sell on clause and hope he gets coveted like a Maguire. 

Hold your nervs a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Hold your nervs a bit. 

For what? That’s kinda my point. If he stays here and has a good year, yes he may become a £30m player - that’s not the case now I’m sure most would agree. 

If we sell with 25% sell on and he gets coveted for an £80m move, well that sell on gets us the £30m player. Say £15m in fee and £15m in sell on: crude maths.

If he doesn’t get coveted so highly, well the buying club gambled on him and it didn’t pay off. If it didn’t for them, it quite likely wouldn’t for us. 

The question with Webster is not his ability, anyone who has seen him play can instantly see that, it’s his availability. For me; if the fee was right and the sell on clause was right, I’d let someone else gamble on his availability. If the fee wasn’t, look forward to seeing him here next year  

4 hours ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Only a matter of time. Just hope we have a good replacement lined up. Maybe LJ’s Portuguese connections will pay off.

What are you waffling on about?  Webster is going mowhere...........he is here for season 2019- 20   What might happen after then is anoher story, but for the time being he is NOT going anywhere

27 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think that is naive. Webster holds cards as well and as said we have a 15-20m asset. The club can’t afford for his value to drop because they won’t sell him. Reject bid, players form drops and he is worth half that. It has happened before and will happen again. Also if the club wants to buy young players with high potential to sell on you can’t turn around and reject record bids(in my hypothetical it is a record). So yea there is more on the line than we have him for 3 more years. 

Hell Kodjia got his way in the end. Not saying Webster is the same or it is a likely scenario but if Webster wanted to force through a move he could. 

Absolute Dinosaur Poo ?

10 minutes ago, 29AR said:

For what? That’s kinda my point. If he stays here and has a good year, yes he may become a £30m player - that’s not the case now I’m sure most would agree. 

If we sell with 25% sell on and he gets coveted for an £80m move, well that sell on gets us the £30m player. Say £15m in fee and £15m in sell on: crude maths.

If he doesn’t get coveted so highly, well the buying club gambled on him and it didn’t pay off. If it didn’t for them, it quite likely wouldn’t for us. 

The question with Webster is not his ability, anyone who has seen him play can instantly see that, it’s his availability. For me; if the fee was right and the sell on clause was right, I’d let someone else gamble on his availability. If the fee wasn’t, look forward to seeing him here next year  

There will be better offers for him this summer. 

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What are you waffling on about?  Webster is going mowhere...........he is here for season 2019- 20   What might happen after then is anoher story, but for the time being he is NOT going anywhere

Ok we’ll see. I hope you’re right 

6 minutes ago, Pezo said:

There will be better offers for him this summer. 

Ahh I see. Yes I agree; and that’s where I was pointing to with we don’t between us know what we have ‘paid’ - after paying sell on to Ipswich, and at what point the deal is worth doing. That’s where my £8m comes in, as soon as our profit is that, I’m waving goodbye personally. 

Can see today’s bid being the first of many - as soon as bids get to £20m, we will quite rightly sell!

This could be another Flint scenario.....his head gets turned and therefore he wants to go?

As long as we have a decent replacement lined up and that Kalas signs, all will be good ?

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Do you know this figure RO, or are you guessing? What does 'up to' mean?

Are you saying if Webster goes for, say 17.5m - easier for my maths - your information is we may have to give Ipswich 5.6m? 

The key is up to. Sell on clauses are graduated not just a flat percentage. (So for arguments sake 15% of the first 5M above the fee 20% for the next 10 etc etc).Take into account what we paid and how much of that has changed hands for starters. That may not actually be the figure of 3.5 which is often quoted by the press and on here as the club rarely if ever comment on fees.

Also there ‘may be’ an agreement that pays Ipswich if City receive a future sell on....Stevenage and Freeman are an example if the press is to be believed. All of this needs to be taken into account as just for arguments sake the press say we got our 30M it is unlikely to be cash on the hip unless Real Madrid and the like want him. 

What I can say is Ipswich are getting paid a sizable amount as it stands if sizable sale in excess of the purchase amount is agreed

2 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Can see today’s bid being the first of many - as soon as bids get to £20m, we will quite rightly sell!

This could be another Flint scenario.....his head gets turned and therefore he wants to go?

As long as we have a decent replacement lined up and that Kalas signs, all will be good ?

Agree. Although sad to see him leave, £20m back on a year long investment is awesome and if we can reinvest the money as well as we did last year, there shouldn't be much to worry about.

Flint > Webster / Kalas

Bryan > Dasilva

Reid > Weimann

+ in profit.

I think the club need to keep their nerve here, there’s clearly lots of clubs interested and one of them will panic soon and put in a huge bid. Bidding’s started at 12, we’ve asked for 30 so I’m guessing we’d accept anything above 20 with a decent sell on included.

We don’t need to sell and has only been here a year. We sit him down, offer him a new contract in line with Kalas & tell him that we want him to stay for a second season. We then give him the armband and say right son - lead us to the Premier League. He loves it here.

9 minutes ago, Cardy said:

We don’t need to sell and has only been here a year. We sit him down, offer him a new contract in line with Kalas & tell him that we want him to stay for a second season. We then give him the armband and say right son - lead us to the Premier League. He loves it here.

I’m sure these discussions will take place, ultimately it’s down to the player if he wants to go he’ll go.

There is no harm in the club saying , we’ve got these deals signed give us another year and if we don’t go up you can go. It’s down to whether Webster is happy with that 

10 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

When flints head got turned we gave him a new contract and sold him the following season,

if webster gets a new contract next season he’ll be off the season after 

Judging by the amount of clubs allegedly interested I would stand firm on the £30m.

I hope Webster stays but if we do get silly money for him and he leaves then I am confident the club will have covered this scenario off and have a couple of options to bring in as a replacement 

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Judging by the amount of clubs allegedly interested I would stand firm on the £30m.

I hope Webster stays but if we do get silly money for him and he leaves then I am confident the club will have covered this scenario off and have a couple of options to bring in as a replacement 

Completely agree. Ashton will get the money he wants or Webster will be here for the season. Obviously things might change if Webster's head is turned but as of now, that is the way I see it.

Having said that, I still will have to rub my eyes in disbelief if we reject £20m, but can totally, totally see it happening.

It's still odd for me to see City operate in such a ruthless and, well, magnificent way in the transfer market. We're a long way from the days of having either none or one player that other sides from higher divisions covet. 

2 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

We just need to convince him to stay this season, and that we won’t stand in his way next Summer should we not get promoted. Offer him a new contract now which would make him and Kalas our top earners, which I think they would deserve to be anyway after last season. 

New contract? He's on a 4 year deal!

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

New contract? He's on a 4 year deal!

Yep but he’s probably not the top earner & certainly won’t be if Kalas joins therefore we give him improved terms to match Kalas. We then build the team around the best centre back partnership that we have possibly ever had.

1 minute ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Who do you think is top earner? Can imagine Jds was on a wedge as are most of the chelsea lads, Kalas obviously too and probably Fammy?

Ive read a few times that Baker’s our top earner but imagine that’ll change this window.

4 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Who do you think is top earner? Can imagine Jds was on a wedge as are most of the chelsea lads, Kalas obviously too and probably Fammy?

In my opinion it'll be Weimann and Baker. Both come from big clubs, and ex Prem players. 

Archived