IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Very bold statement @RedDave, on this basis he should be knocking on the door of the England squad very soon if he gets his move to the Prem

Excluding Webster I have the top 10 as

Gomez

Maguire

Stones

Holding

Smalling

Jones

Coady

Dunk

Keane

Lascelles

I would have Webster ahead of at least Lascelles and Keane.  

16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Excluding Webster I have the top 10 as

Gomez

Maguire

Stones

Holding

Smalling

Jones

Coady

Dunk

Keane

Lascelles

I would have Webster ahead of at least Lascelles and Keane.  

I like Webster. Personally would have him over a few of those mentioned. 

That said you can get arguments from everywhere. Ben Mee and Tarkowski have been a premier league partnership for 3-4 years now. 

Sheff U fans will be saying the same things we do about O’Connell. 

Derby fans will say good things about Tomori.

I think top championship players should make very good premier league players but it often is not the case. I don’t think many prem managers would take Webster over the ones you mentioned simply because it is so win now and proven feels safer. 

47 minutes ago, phantom said:

Very bold statement @RedDave, on this basis he should be knocking on the door of the England squad very soon if he gets his move to the Prem

He should be knocking on door now

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Webster is probably in the top 10 English centre backs in the country so would say 30m isn’t completely ridiculous 

Just off the top of my head, here are over ten that are definitely better than Webster: Tarkowski, Lascelles, Cahill, Dunk, Mee, Gomez, Keane, Maguire, Stones, Smalling, and Jones.

That's purely in the Premier League. There are probably a few in the Championship I'd rate over Webster too.

Webster is a fantastic player, but top 10 centre-back he ain't.

13 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Just off the top of my head, here are over ten that are definitely better than Webster: Tarkowski, Lascelles, Cahill, Dunk, Mee, Gomez, Keane, Maguire, Stones, Smalling, and Jones.

That's purely in the Premier League. There are probably a few in the Championship I'd rate over Webster too.

Cahill ??! Haha

Tarkowski is nearly as funny.

35 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I'd say Smalling, Jones and Stones are lucky to have international caps for England.

But I'd also say that Webster isn't a top 10 CB.

Yet.

39 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

What English centre backs would you say are better in the championship? 

33 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'd say Smalling, Jones and Stones are lucky to have international caps for England.

But I'd also say that Webster isn't a top 10 CB.

Yet.

Stones? You’re seriously stating Stones doesn’t deserve a cap. One of the best managers/coaches to grace this planet rates him as one of the beet Centre backs in the game. Incredible player, albeit a bit fragile when it comes to recovering from mistakes and criticism in the media.  

36 minutes ago, Ashton98 said:

What English centre backs would you say are better in the championship? 

I can only think of Dael Fry at Boro. I like Danny Baath at Stoke too as well as Liam Moore. 

I think Webster is better than these English rivals though, although Fry could be level pegging. 

VILLA'S WEBSTER BID REJECTED

Sky sources understand Aston Villa have had a bid rejected by Bristol City for defender Adam Webster.

We are told the offer was worth an initial £12m. Bristol City don’t want to lose last season’s player of the year and value him higher than Villa’s offer. 

2 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Sky now saying that Villa have put in an official bid of 12 million... Looooool

Well surely we haven't said 30 minimum if they only bid 12

3 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Sky now saying that Villa have put in an official bid of 12 million... Looooool

What worries me is that he'll like the idea of playing Premier League football, and so become unhappy and not want to be here anymore, and/or demand we accept a sum lower than £30m.

Maybe I've been playing too much Football Manager though ?

With this bid now having the potential to unsettle Webster I'm hoping that our club is arranging talks with both him and his agent this week. 

We need to offer him better terms on a new contract, but with a clause to say that he can leave next Summer should we receive an acceptable (agreed) bid, should we not get promotion. 

I'm hoping we've displayed enough (and informed him about our Summer transfer plans) already for him to want to give us another season, especially if it's alongside Kalas again. 

5 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

What worries me is that he'll like the idea of playing Premier League football, and so become unhappy and not want to be here anymore, and/or demand we accept a sum lower than £30m.

Maybe I've been playing too much Football Manager though ?

Doesn't strike me as that sort of character tbh. He's got 3 years left yet, really not in a great position to hold us to ransom if he was. 

I think 20m is the price we'd have to accept. 

Archived