IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

There was some mixed opinions on Webster from Ipswich fans. They all seemed to clearly see how much quality he had on the ball. But some frustrated with his fitness record and some saying he makes mistakes.

Also mixed opinions on the money they received from us. Some think it's good deal as he was injured a lot, some think nowhere near his true value. 

Seems like he has gone onto another level defensively since joining us and has been fit the whole time. Credit to the coaching staff for what they have done with Webster. He wasn't as solid when he first joined us, but really improved quickly after a few slightly dodgy defensive displays.

People talk a lot about his ball playing skills but as a defender he is absolutely superb imo. Quick, dominant, strong, aggressive. Absolute class, what an incredible signing.

Think this proves it (how good is Kalas that he barely needs to make a tackle?)

750389BE-30BB-43A8-8670-3735F8F7B006.jpeg

48 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Agree, and probably we would have been in for Clarke at 5M if we was not going to the Prem. (not seen him play so no idea what type of CB he is to replace Webster) . I think when a few of the bigger Prem deals get done, we will see the trickle down. Harry M being one of a few defensive bug deals about to happen. What if Leicester fancy Webster for example ? I don't think City could turn down a £12 to 15M proposal (with "add ons" ) and I do think a Prem club would look at that. The only issue with Webster is his injury history, last season was , if memory serves the most games he has played, he used to miss 10 or so games. season in the past, which helped with his fee I am sure. Maybe that would hold back a bigger fee. Certainly Webster has the attributes the Prem looks for now in a CB , is a good age for a CB, has played full back. I don't think the fee will put a serious bidder off , if they are an established Prem side, plus no need to wait if interested, he either has it now or they will pass in future, he proved he can last a season of intense football . Webster will be on the radar of many a side without paper talk. He is a very good modern CB and clearly able to take another step up. I just hope we avoid a Kodja situation where we make a late sale and panic purchase . 

Leicester is a more likely suitor than either Newcastle or Aston Villa in my opinion. If they sell Maguire, which looks likely they’ll certainly have the money to shell out £15M + which I think is what it will take. I believe City would turn down £12M plus add-ons as they will not sell a player of Webster’s stature for less than they got for Kelly. 

As for Newcastle and Villa, as shrewd a manager as he is I don’t see Benitez spending £15M on an unproven Premiership CB, particularly when they need to sort out their forward line. If Villa are serious contenders I think it signals that Bournemouth and Huddersfield have shut the door on them signing Mings or Kongolo, both proven Premiership CBs. 

I really hope Webster stays here (I think he will unless £20+ million offer comes in) and on the side I hope Mings and Kongolo both stay at their clubs for the hattrick or go anywhere but Villa.

A Villa fan I know already saying in 2 years they will be top 6 - never known such a deluded set of fans. I hope they get some right spankings next season...

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think we should use these to get a discount on Kalas.

He's such a detriment to the team as he conceded fouls without making any tackles.

Got to be worth at least 25% off.

3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Any deal with Everton to include Antonee Robinson?!

Too much talk of AW leaving us for my liking - hope it’s not true! ?

It’s paper talk . They’re desperate to sell papers or get clicks.

Just to put your mind at rest the Post is part of the Mirror group and we all know how reliable they are.

I’ve been hoping if i just ignore this story it’ll go away but unsurprisingly more clubs are being linked. The only thing stopping me getting upset about it is that he’s still got a long contract so honestly couldn’t see us selling for less than £15 million guaranteed plus add ons and a hefty sell on fee.  

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Just to put your mind at rest the Post is part of the Mirror group and we all know how reliable they are.

Spot on Major.

More column filling wild speculation and rumour................:disapointed2se:

3 hours ago, daored said:

Daily mirror are reporting it., apparently £10 million is the price 

12 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Typical Daily Mirage :disapointed2se:

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Spot on Major.

More column filling wild speculation and rumour................:disapointed2se:

Agreed. The idea that we would sell a player who has been our mainstay centre half for a season for less than a player who had the potential to replace him, would be crazy.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Now known as Reach PLC, and this story certainly appears to be one.

This is all paper talk at present with the figures quoted well short of any asking price,  especially as we’d have to give Ipswich a fair chunk virtue of a sell on clause. We’ll have to wait and see what happens after July 1 but I don’t think City are in a mood to sell unless they can get someone better. 

If only Leeds or Sheffield Utd wanted to buy him. When their bids have been turned down, the headline would have to be, Webster Yorkshire Bitter.' 

I don't know if it is still made, but I had 4 pints of their excellent brew in a pub just outside Halifax's ground in the early 1980s. We won as well. I think Glyn Riley scored.

On 23/06/2019 at 09:31, Davefevs said:

Kalas, by a country mile, was our best player last season.  He barely ever gets out of 2nd gear but when he does, he still looks like he's in 2nd gear as it's so effortless.

He's mint. ?

9 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

If only Leeds or Sheffield Utd wanted to buy him. When their bids have been turned down, the headline would have to be, Webster Yorkshire Bitter.' 

I don't know if it is still made, but I had 4 pints of their excellent brew in a pub just outside Halifax's ground in the early 1980s. We won as well. I think Glyn Riley scored.

Can you remember where? The best pub near the Shay was definitely The Three Pigeons. Mind you, the Halifax supporters club had to be seen to be believed. The decor was straight out of a Victorian hotel, either that or someone had kitted the place out from a disused theatre. Plush velvet and flock everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Can you remember where? The best pub near the Shay was definitely The Three Pigeons. Mind you, the Halifax supporters club had to be seen to be believed. The decor was straight out of a Victorian hotel, either that or someone had kitted the place out from a disused theatre. Plush velvet and flock everywhere. 

The two city coaches arrived rather early as in midday! There was a young car park attendant outside the entrance. His face was a picture. I don't think he'd ever seen two away supporters coaches arrive let alone at midday!

IIRC, you left the shale car park and turned left, the pub was about a couple of hundred yards on the right hand side. IIRC, it looked like a granite type cottage that had been converted into a pub!

I am a big speedway fan as well. It was great to be at a stadium that had a decent track around the pitch. Kenny Carter was a young and brilliant rider for them at that time.

It's the only time when at half time, we were able to walk from one end of the ground to the other so we could be behind the City attacking goal! 

10 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if everton want him 15m plus Robinson and the midfielder who was on loan at bolton williams i think it was 

I would want at least £20mil. 

Which is Robinson (£2mil), Williams (£2mil) and £16mil + on top of that too.

13 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

The two city coaches arrived rather early as in midday! There was a young car park attendant outside the entrance. His face was a picture. I don't think he'd ever seen two away supporters coaches arrive let alone at midday!

IIRC, you left the shale car park and turned left, the pub was about a couple of hundred yards on the right hand side. IIRC, it looked like a granite type cottage that had been converted into a pub!

I am a big speedway fan as well. It was great to be at a stadium that had a decent track around the pitch. Kenny Carter was a young and brilliant rider for them at that time.

It's the only time when at half time, we were able to walk from one end of the ground to the other so we could be behind the City attacking goal! 

Sounds like the 3 Pigeons. 

19 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if everton want him 15m plus Robinson and the midfielder who was on loan at bolton williams i think it was 

I'd sell for that to be fair if it means getting those 2 - with percentage of profit on Webster as he could be worth 80 million in a couple of years. Yeah I know that sounds ridiculous but that's definitely a possibility. 

Robinson and Williams would be superb signings. Sign Ajayi with that money and have 3 quality players and still millions better off. As long as we can get Ajayi or someone of that quality. 

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Yes, the best pub on the circuit, back then !

Every time I come on the site I look forward to a ‘***** signs’.

Every time it’s talk of another leaving or someone we were chasing signing for someone else. 

Come on City. We know you’re keeping the Kalas signing back and will use it as a sop to the supporters when Webster departs but ... something else must be going on! 

Lummydaze.... We’ve lost our keeper, centre back, left back, reserve centre back/left back, and have the the third most wasteful striker in the division. We’ve currently got a massive hole in our first team squad. 

Getting to a time when you need to give us one decent signing to get some momentum going.

12 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Every time I come on the site I look forward to a ‘***** signs’.

Every time it’s talk of another leaving or someone we were chasing signing for someone else. 

Come on City. We know you’re keeping the Kalas signing back and will use it as a sop to the supporters when Webster departs but ... something else must be going on! 

Lummydaze.... We’ve lost our keeper, centre back, left back, reserve centre back/left back, and have the the third most wasteful striker in the division. We’ve currently got a massive hole in our first team squad. 

Getting to a time when you need to give us one decent signing to get some momentum going.

Another poster who expects the club to conduct negotiations in public? You can relax until at least 1st July since LJ said only last week that nothing would be public before then.

I'd be interested to see the list of players we have supposedly lost out on since the only players we can be absolutely certain we are after are Kalas and Dasilva. Don't believe everything you read in the tabloids or sites like TeamTalk, they just need clicks from gullible punters.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Another poster who expects the club to conduct negotiations in public? You can relax until at least 1st July since LJ said only last week that nothing would be public before then.

I'd be interested to see the list of players we have supposedly lost out on since the only players we can be absolutely certain we are after are Kalas and Dasilva. Don't believe everything you read in the tabloids or sites like TeamTalk, they just need clicks from gullible punters.

Of course you are right. The impatience of the football fan eh! 

The very last thing we want to do is get LJ/MA to panic buy as per our January windows. This is the spine of the team we’re talking about. We really don’t want them to just go out and buy more of those trusted ex Barnsley players, ‘ones for the future’ or,  heaven help us, ‘punts’ for the sake of it. They very much need to get this window right.

So. I’ll chill not just until July but deadline day itself, even if Webster goes. 

Archived