IGNORED

Converting Marley Watkins

TBW

Something has to be done with the guy ultimately and I doubt we've given up just yet.

I can't help thinking that we might take the cheap way out of finding a striker option and hope Watkins can fill the void now we've spent pretty hard already...

Not saying I want to, just that the staff might think we can pull a Bobby Reid job on him?

3 minutes ago, TBW said:

Something has to be done with the guy ultimately and I doubt we've given up just yet.

I can't help thinking that we might take the cheap way out of finding a striker option and hope Watkins can fill the void now we've spent pretty hard already...

Not saying I want to, just that the staff might think we can pull a Bobby Reid job on him?

He's played up front previously so wouldn't be massively out of the blue for him to be there this season. 

I still don't feel like I've seen enough of him to judge how good he is, a lot of people have written him off already. 

Hopefully this season we will witness the resuscitation of a great footballing tradition, when Bristol City come of age, with almost Proustian displays of modern existentialist football.

Vimally annihilating by midfield moral argument the now surely obsolescent catennachio defensive philosophy of Neil Warnock.

Cardiff indeed will be a side intellectually out argued by a City thrusting and bursting with aggressive Kantian positivism and outstanding in this fine team, the arch-thinker, free scheming, scarcely ever to be curbed, midfield coguoscento, Marley Watkins

16 minutes ago, TBW said:

That would be the top 6 gone then.

12 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Hopefully this season we will witness the resuscitation of a great footballing tradition, when Bristol City come of age, with almost Proustian displays of modern existentialist football.

Vimally annihilating by midfield moral argument the now surely obsolescent catennachio defensive philosophy of Neil Warnock.

Cardiff indeed will be a side intellectually out argued by a City thrusting and bursting with aggressive Kantian positivism and outstanding in this fine team, the arch-thinker, free scheming, scarcely ever to be curbed, midfield coguoscento, Marley Watkins

Swallowed a dictionary?

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Scored two pretty important goals in his short time on the pitch, it should be pointed out.

510 minutes if Transfermarkt is correct. Not even 6 games worth of football.

Hopefully we see the Barnsley version of MW next season rather than the Norwich version.

24 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Good evening, Brian...

36 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Have you been on the pxxx ?

42 minutes ago, TBW said:

Can we convert him into a footballer?

If yes, can we also stop him being continually injured?

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Bobby Reid showed ability and desire before his switch to being a striker. 

6 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

More likely that Semenyo will step up this season imo if we don't sign another forward.

I think that’s LJs plan and I began to suspect that when Semenyo was recalled last season.

He didn’t go to the first team straight away but was gradually introduced into the way in which the City first team squad go about things both at AG and away. It would have been like another world to the lower level he was on loan at and that type of change can take a while to adapt to. So would have the standard of training facilities and the type of training that LJ and his assistants  employ - quite a culture shock......

This coming season AS will have been fully involved in pre season training and will be going the trip abroad.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is still here as back up. He works hard and is versatile. His touch is not the greatest, but nor is Weimann's.

I reckon Marley and Weimann are similar type of players actually. Apart from Marley being stronger, better in the air. Weimann bit better technically. 

Both players like space to attack and both can play anywhere across the front line. Their work rate makes them the players they are more than what they do on the ball.

We don't know what is happening up top. But if we sell Taylor and bring in Moore then we will have 4 strikers. Johnson likes having 5, so Watkins could be our 5th option like Eisa was last season. As well as being a wide option too.

Not against that at all. We could easily get a couple of injuries up top and were suddenly worrying about how many strikers we have.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We don't know what is happening up top. But if we sell Taylor and bring in Moore then we will have 4 strikers. Johnson likes having 5, so Watkins could be our 5th option like Eisa was last season. As well as being a wide option too.

Not against that at all. We could easily get a couple of injuries up top and were suddenly worrying about how many strikers we have.

Does LJ like to have 5 strikers?  I’m not sure about that.

Last season he had Famara, Taylor, Weimann (not an out and out striker) Eisa who was never quite up to Championship quality. I reality he was forced to rely on Famara and either Weimann or Taylor as his strike force.

This coming season he’ll have Famara (if he doesn’t move the Baggies) Taylor, Weimann, Semanyo And Szmodics who LJ thinks has goals in him but is not a recognised striker.

Like some other fans I’m concerned that by not signing a recognised striker the squad looks light up top.

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Are you Tommy's Swedish cousin?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Last season he had Famara, Taylor, Weimann (not an out and out striker) Eisa who was never quite up to Championship quality. I reality he was forced to rely on Famara and either Weimann or Taylor as his strike force.

This coming season he’ll have Famara (if he doesn’t move the Baggies) Taylor, Weimann, Semanyo And Szmodics who LJ thinks has goals in him but is not a recognised striker.

Like some other fans I’m concerned that by not signing a recognised striker the squad looks light up top.

I was counting Watkins in that last season as he did play there a couple of times

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Using your own logic Szmodics can be ruled out of the first team for several months as he played L2 last season as did Semenyo .....about who's time in the said L2 you stated.  " . It would have been like another world to the lower level he was on loan at and that type of change can take a while to adapt to. So would have the standard of training facilities and the type of training that LJ and his assistants  employ - quite a culture shock......"

Just now, Robbored said:

I didn’t include Watkins because we rarely saw him.....

Because we hardly had an injury up top. If he had 2 or 3 missing then we would have seen Marley up front a lot more.

If Keifer is signed it will be as a back up player to Fam. We will only play with one forward. Fam only scores from inside the penalty area but he is not a very good header of the ball. It would be ideal to back him up with smart footballers like Weimann, Paterson, O´Dowda, Eliasson and Szmodics who can provide the killing assists. Preferably on the floor.     

2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Emmanual Kant was a real pissant,

He'd drink you under the table...

I’d like to think that a fit Marley Watkins could surprise a few people. He’s never going to set this division alight, but can certainly be a useful back up player, to cover a few different positions. 

One to upgrade on, when we can, yes - but I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him yet, so if we can’t bring in the “right” striker, I’d rather we didn’t pay big money for “just anyone” and bided our time until we can get exactly what we want. 

10 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Didn't he play as a striker those two times? 

I think he may have been on the second goal. First goal he scored against Blackburn he was wide right.

20 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Using your own logic Szmodics can be ruled out of the first team for several months as he played L2 last season as did Semenyo .....about who's time in the said L2 you stated.  " . It would have been like another world to the lower level he was on loan at and that type of change can take a while to adapt to. So would have the standard of training facilities and the type of training that LJ and his assistants  employ - quite a culture shock......"

I was thinking exactly that as posted about Semenyo and his ‘culture shock’ but didn’t include Szmodics as he’s a more versatile player, an attacking midfielder whereas AS is essentially a striker but the same ‘culture shock’ applies to Szmodics as well but is less likely to have time to adapt because of his versatility.

That said, it’ll be interesting to see how soon Szmodics features  in the starting 11 

2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

If AR has swallowed a dictionary , as Robbored suggests, we need to know which one, so we can avoid it. 

Vimally?

Catennachio?

Cognuoscento?

Where has the finger-wagging emoji gone?  Just what I needed too!

P.S. Proust wasn’t an existentialist either ?

Archived