Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Coming out as homosexual in the Championship


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Lucan said:

 I'm putting forward my opinion.  "That's what message boards are for, opinion and debate."

Don't bother to engage with me again until you have something useful to add, I have no time for lightweight banter with someone like you

You're not though, you're personally attacking people for putting forward their stance. Sure, the attack is just backhanded comments but it's still there nonetheless. 

Nice effort to come back though... now,

Don't bother to engage with me again until you have something useful to add, I have no time for lightweight banter with someone like you.

(See, we can all be a dismissive dick.)

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Boris has been democratically elected by the members of the party the country democratically put into power.

 

Boris has been democratically elected by the members of the party that did not get enough votes from the country to govern and so had to agree to pay £1billion to N Ireland in order for the DUP to agree to help prop them up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, the Tories are democratically elected, whether people like that or not. 

I think it's fair to say the ones who didn't vote Conservative don't like it. ;)

The ones who did vote Conservative are likely to be happier today as they voted for a party promising at the last election to deliver Brexit and there is now a PM in place stating his absolute determination to carry out that mandate.

A solemn promise made by Labour as well of course, but that's a different story.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TBW said:

You're not though, you're personally attacking people for putting forward their stance. Sure, the attack is just backhanded comments but it's still there nonetheless. 

 

I'll make sure to run future posts via your bedwetter's sensitivity moderation panel next time 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BS2 Red said:

Boris has been democratically elected by the members of the party that did not get enough votes from the country to govern and so had to agree to pay £1billion to N Ireland in order for the DUP to agree to help prop them up.

Historically all parties will assume power by hook or by crook, that's the way it goes.

The key thing here is the country voted to get out of the widely despised E. Union, and undemocratic powers working against the people have done everything possible to thwart that mandate.

We now at last have a leader saying with conviction he will deliver on the vote of the people.

That's something all democrats - whether Leave or Remain voters originally - should support.

Let's wish Boris every success on finally delivering on the referendum result.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Historically all parties will assume power by hook or by crook, that's the way it goes.

The key thing here is the country voted to get out of the widely despised E. Union, and undemocratic powers working against the people have done everything possible to thwart that mandate.

We now at last have a leader saying with conviction he will deliver on the vote of the people.

That's something all democrats - whether Leave or Remain voters originally - should support.

Let's wish Boris every success on finally delivering on the referendum result.

Historically parties win a majority and are able to govern. The Tories won more seats than anybody else, but they certainly didn’t win the 2017 elections. Going cap in hand to the DUP is not winning.

And as the majority now support remaining in the EU, the democratic thing to do is to put the question back to the people.

 

Edit:

I keep clicking on replies and forgetting what thread this is.  If you want to chat about the EU/Brexit then I am happy to in the Brexit thread but I will stop replying in here before we get even more off topic!

Edited by BS2 Red
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Historically parties win a majority and are able to govern. The Tories won more seats than anybody else, but they certainly didn’t win the 2017 elections. Going cap in hand to the DUP is not winning.

And as the majority now support remaining in the EU, the democratic thing to do is to put the question back to the people.

Sure they do, just like the polls said remain would win the referendum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We can all agree we live in a parliamentary democracy where we don’t directly elect the Prime Minister.

However,  I think some posters are being a bit dishonest suggesting the national leader doesn’t have a significant influence on the majority of votes that are cast in any UK General Election. Certainly, it’s what gets brought out every day when people have compared the reigns of May and Corbyn over the last three years.

With that in mind, I think there is a strong argument that without calling a GE, in reality if not technically, Boris’ mandate is at best compromised.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/07/2019 at 18:13, soultrader said:

On the upside you lefties have a massive advantage in boxing !

apparently one of the only sports where it is a big advantage

 

having boxed myself I can attest to this

but if you don’t believe me, google it and see how many left handed world champs there have been.  A disproportionate amount when compared to the percentage of lefties in the population   

 

 

Cricket is very similar.

I'll give you David Gower for starters, but just have a glance at Wisden (or Google?) - it just seems that the majority of flamboyant batsmen appear to have been left-handed: there have also been quite a few gifted left-handed bowlers 😉.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2019 at 13:02, Eddie Hitler said:

It seemed a silly way to go about it; if you want to draw vast media attention to yourself then that's what you would do.

A local radio presenter has "come out" as gay, previously had a girlfriend, but has never made a big deal of it or even openly said it on the radio AFAIK and it's not referred to.  He has a public social media account which shows pictures of him and his partner on holiday.

Now I accept that the Championship is not local radio but that sort of "so what, it's not an issue" approach is surely going to be better than this "big announcement coming" tack which is only going to stoke media interest.

If one of our players did the same with no big announcement but just allowed people to pick up that their media stream was mainly pictures of him and the same bloke all the time and his response was "so what, it's not an issue" then I don't think it would be much of one.

I know it isn't an issue for OTIB, as per this thread, but I don't think anyone expected it to be so anyway.  This is a polite place.

My thoughts entirely.

I have several friends and acquaintances who have 'come out' as gay or were even openly gay when I first met/was introduced to them: it was no big deal and, almost without exception, they (and their partners) were all lovely blokes to boot - and, of course, why shouldn't they be?

But, and this is surely the crux of the matter, just imagine if, for instance, Gary Lineker or Alan Shearer were to reveal themselves as being gay.

The headline news in the media and the hot topic in the pubs would be: 'Hey, did you hear about ....?'

The subject would be headline news for days, even weeks, and is it no wonder that a humble young Championship player has perhaps decided that, at this stage of his career, he doesn't want to be the subject of (perhaps/probably negative) headline news? 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2019 at 16:10, BobBobSuperBob said:

Unlike you , I havnt got any agenda . I couldn’t give a flying **** about Brexit or politics full stop 

There is one poster on the forum who stands out as having a political agenda and including showing it  it on as many threads as possible  

Football has come on in massive leaps n bounds regarding racism

As somebody who’s been in the terraces for 40 odd years football is a relative broad church now 

I seriously can’t recall the last time  I’ve heard anything mumbled let alone shouted or chanted at football that could be constituted as racist

One poster? Just the one? Are you blind man? Deaf? Illiterate?

Seriously Bob, and quite unfortunately, whilst things have improvedsince the 1970s, there are several (numerous) posters on this forum who are still bigoted, racist, homophobic, perhaps all three....and the list goes on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2019 at 22:20, Bar BS3 said:

It’s not though, is it..?

We now have a man in charge of our country who not one single member of the general public has voted to be put there. 

How is that democracy serving the nation well..?! 

Yeah, of course.

And didn't the same sort of thing happen with Gordon Brown.

Democracy, eh? Bloody Democracy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yeah, of course.

And didn't the same sort of thing happen with Gordon Brown.

Democracy, eh? Bloody Democracy.

3 of our last 4 did not become PM through a general election. In fact of those 3, only Johnson had to contest an election. Piss poor state of affairs when there is relatively more legitimacy in Johnson's appointment than Brown's or May's.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

One poster? Just the one? Are you blind man? Deaf? Illiterate?

Seriously Bob, and quite unfortunately, whilst things have improvedsince the 1970s, there are several (numerous) posters on this forum who are still bigoted, racist, homophobic, perhaps all three....and the list goes on.  

And you have a long list, including dyslexphobia, if there is such a thing  I am I hope extremely intolerant of all those things on Phil in France's list and yet you still find time to remind  moi! that I am indeed flawed. How is it up there on that pedestal? 🤔  

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My thoughts entirely.

I have several friends and acquaintances who have 'come out' as gay or were even openly gay when I first met/was introduced to them: it was no big deal and, almost without exception, they (and their partners) were all lovely blokes to boot - and, of course, why shouldn't they be?

But, and this is surely the crux of the matter, just imagine if, for instance, Gary Lineker or Alan Shearer were to reveal themselves as being gay.

The headline news in the media and the hot topic in the pubs would be: 'Hey, did you hear about ....?'

The subject would be headline news for days, even weeks, and is it no wonder that a humble young Championship player has perhaps decided that, at this stage of his career, he doesn't want to be the subject of (perhaps/probably negative) headline news? 

 

 

You have a pretty poor view of how we are over here... I don't see the back lash you portray at all, it would be a non-story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

You have a pretty poor view of how we are over here... I don't see the back lash you portray at all, it would be a non-story.

I think Phil is spot-on about the reaction there'd be if it was Lineker or Shearer (especially if they came out as a couple!). Coming out as gay is still a relatively big deal - especially if it's someone you had no idea about. But there's a big difference between that, and feeling contempt towards it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

3 of our last 4 did not become PM through a general election. In fact of those 3, only Johnson had to contest an election. Piss poor state of affairs when there is relatively more legitimacy in Johnson's appointment than Brown's or May's.

I dunno if you can even say that. It was widespread public knowledge that Blair was going to hand over to Brown at some point, and both men confirmed it. It could be argued that those voting for Blair as PM knew they'd also get Brown as PM. Not sure all those voting for May in 2017 knew BoZo was going to go on to occupy No.10. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/07/2019 at 17:13, 1bristolcity said:

And you have a long list, including dyslexphobia, if there is such a thing  I am I hope extremely intolerant of all those things on Phil in France's list and yet you still find time to remind  moi! that I am indeed flawed. How is it up there on that pedestal? 🤔  

Firstly, I was replying, in jest, to @BobBobSuperBob, who had posted in response to an earlier post from @RedDave:

    'Unlike you , I havnt got any agenda . I couldn’t give a flying **** about Brexit or politics full stop 

    There is one poster on the forum who stands out as having a political agenda and including showing it  it on as many threads as possible  

    Football has come on in massive leaps n bounds regarding racism'.

My reply, lest you forget, was:

    'One poster? Just the one? Are you blind man? Deaf? Illiterate?

    Seriously Bob, and quite unfortunately, whilst things have improved since the 1970s, there are several (numerous) posters on this forum who are still bigoted, racist, homophobic, perhaps all three....and the list goes on.'  

My post was not addressed to you and nor did it refer to you; your views or, most certainly, seek to remind you of any flaws you might have.

Furthermore, and I apologise if I have misconstrued your post, but I get the impression that you consider me intolerant of people suffering from dyslexia: I assure you nothing could be further from the truth.

Whilst, for personal reasons, I have no desire to expound on the subject, I am sure you are aware that dyslexia is a learning disorder, an illness, if you like, and I should be insulted were you or, indeed, anybody on this forum to suspect I might be intolerant of somebody suffering from any illness. 

As somebody who has often been criticised by posters on this forum has stated:

If you are dyslexic, your eyes work fine, your brain works fine, but there is a little short circuit in the wire that goes between the eye and the brain.

I admit readily that I do get frustrated when people use what I would describe as 'sloppy' English, e.g. write would 'of' instead of 'have', and I despair when people seem incapable of distinguishing between the common words there/their/they're or your/you're, but perhaps that is a personal foible - incidentally, 😉, I don't believe the word 'dyslexphobia', which you used in your post, actually exists, although the term dyslexia phobia certainly does, and refers to the anxiety felt by people who suffer from dyslexia when they fear this might be exposed in public.

All the Best.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard my neighbour loudly describing someone (I think he works with) as being Gay going around sucking more dicks than... (x, y, z varies depending on his mood). No idea why he's so obsessed with someone else's sex life, but it's pretty sad to hear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I have heard my neighbour loudly describing someone (I think he works with) as being Gay going around sucking more dicks than... (x, y, z varies depending on his mood). No idea why he's so obsessed with someone else's sex life, but it's pretty sad to hear.

Sounds like projection to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...