Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The Nketiah Deal - behind the scenes (long article)


Recommended Posts

One part doesn’t make sense, if Dusseldorf were at the front of the queue why did city arrange a medical? 

Nothing in that article fits the narrative of last week of arsenal assuring city that we were their first choice and the transfer being all but agreed before Leeds crashed the party, rather it paints a picture of Leeds having done their homework more so than us and Dusseldorf and city then jumping the gun in arranging a medical

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When all’s said and done, It’s not what you know it’s who you know. Arsenal’s manager and the guy from Leeds have known each other for a long time. You can’t tell me that didn’t effect the outcome in some way. 

I still hope it doesn’t go well for the lad at Leeds because of the way we were messed around. 

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

One part doesn’t make sense, if Dusseldorf were at the front of the queue why did city arrange a medical?

Time frame that was left in the window probably, better to have it booked and not need it then the other way round

Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's how it panned out, no wonder LJ was left feeling downhearted.

Interesting Arsenal are setting up a transition team...pretty much what Tinman is doing.

Just shows you how much work and effort goes into making a signing these days. Months of it. 

Doesn't really fit with the transfer window system as it stands...polar opposites.

I still think Afobe could work out a better option overall though. Fingers crossed.

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I get to know how the game works, the less I like it. I reckon being ignorant/deluded and keeping a distance is best (even if it means blaming, wrongly, LJ/MA/Bailey Wright for everything, poor sods). The fawning and bowing and scraping involved, while they demand an extortionate fee as well, to these almighty PL clubs, makes my skin crawl.

 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Moral of the story? Be very wary of doing further loan business with Arsenal. If Emery’s dithering is typical of the man, and he has the last word, he could be a nightmare to deal with. The fact that it went to the wire after we’d been given reason to think we were likely to get the player seems to have had a distorting effect on our recruitment strategy, and left us scrabbling around for last minute deals. Why take the risk of a repeat of this shambles? Our well established links with Chelsea appear to be based on mutual respect and trust and we’d be better off cultivating that source than having to try to sell ourselves every time an Arsenal youngster becomes available - especially as, for all the supposed thoroughness and professionalism of the process, there remains the distinct impression that personal connections might well have swung it I the end. Screw ‘em.

Those personal connections would , normally, make a difference. Fine margins but ultimately the trust between friends wins.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like LJ, whilst impressing was ‘flying solo’ on the pitch and maybe MA was ,not surprisingly,  busy on other deals. If MA (our best closer of deals) wasn’t there then maybe that was a mistake on our part. If that was the case then I think we can be confident that next time he will be there for such a crucial deal. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Pah. It's gone. Let's just hope we get Afobe firing - I think he could be a better bet over a long season of championship football. 

Love your optimism, Reggie, but I’ll wager a tenner that Nketia is higher in the scoring charts at the end of the season. Having said that, I like Afobe and, given good service,  he could well be a 15-20 goal man by the end of the season - if we give him the service and he gets his mojo back.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Moral of the story? Be very wary of doing further loan business with Arsenal. If Emery’s dithering is typical of the man, and he has the last word, he could be a nightmare to deal with. The fact that it went to the wire after we’d been given reason to think we were likely to get the player seems to have had a distorting effect on our recruitment strategy, and left us scrabbling around for last minute deals. Why take the risk of a repeat of this shambles? Our well established links with Chelsea appear to be based on mutual respect and trust and we’d be better off cultivating that source than having to try to sell ourselves every time an Arsenal youngster becomes available - especially as, for all the supposed thoroughness and professionalism of the process, there remains the distinct impression that personal connections might well have swung it in the end. Screw ‘em.

It's quite ironic how it is being heralded as super-professional when a) Arsenal's treatment of the other clubs and b) this personal connection that may have won it for Leeds have little to do with professionalism whatsoever.

The article does a good job of dressing it up. Fortunately plenty of other clubs to do business with.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good insight into what had happened, its good to put some details to the scenario as when it was playing out nobody had a clue what was going on.

Leave Arsenal youngsters alone now, we cant be relying on them when their management is so indecisive. Time was running out for us and we are quite lucky to get Afobe in at such short notice. The best revenge we can get now is finishing above Leeds in the league and Afobe scoring more than Nketiah.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orbital said:

Love your optimism, Reggie, but I’ll wager a tenner that Nketia is higher in the scoring charts at the end of the season. 

Depends how much Leeds use him. The Chelsea boys got nowt and Bamford isn’t going to be saying ‘after you, old boy’. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Moral of the story? Be very wary of doing further loan business with Arsenal. If Emery’s dithering is typical of the man, and he has the last word, he could be a nightmare to deal with. The fact that it went to the wire after we’d been given reason to think we were likely to get the player seems to have had a distorting effect on our recruitment strategy, and left us scrabbling around for last minute deals. Why take the risk of a repeat of this shambles? Our well established links with Chelsea appear to be based on mutual respect and trust and we’d be better off cultivating that source than having to try to sell ourselves every time an Arsenal youngster becomes available - especially as, for all the supposed thoroughness and professionalism of the process, there remains the distinct impression that personal connections might well have swung it I the end. Screw ‘em.

Think in the final analysis it was the absolute detail Leeds went into on their tactics, strategy and video clips of how the lad played and how he would fit into their style of play.That and the obvious exposure on Sky (3x in first 3 games !!!) Plus the friendship with the Arsenal manager and a big cheque (over£3m)

Sure LJs presentation was polished but probably edged by the detail used by Leeds - maybe some learning for the City team.

Coming a close second will stand us in good stead should we call on Arsenal again, and good experience for future Premier League dealings.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walnutroof said:

One part doesn’t make sense, if Dusseldorf were at the front of the queue why did city arrange a medical? 

Nothing in that article fits the narrative of last week of arsenal assuring city that we were their first choice and the transfer being all but agreed before Leeds crashed the party, rather it paints a picture of Leeds having done their homework more so than us and Dusseldorf and city then jumping the gun in arranging a medical

It was probably their way of putting a foot down and implementing a deadline. Either he’s here at the medical tomorrow morning or we’re moving on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It sounds like LJ, whilst impressing was ‘flying solo’ on the pitch and maybe MA was ,not surprisingly,  busy on other deals. If MA (our best closer of deals) wasn’t there then maybe that was a mistake on our part. If that was the case then I think we can be confident that next time he will be there for such a crucial deal. 

Pure conjecture on your part.

My reading of it is all competing clubs had met the financial terms of the loan, and this was a straight footballing conversation.  No need for MA to attend.

As Major said, we've come a long way and I suspect the personal relationship sealed it for Leeds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, swanker said:

When all’s said and done, It’s not what you know it’s who you know. Arsenal’s manager and the guy from Leeds have known each other for a long time. You can’t tell me that didn’t effect the outcome in some way. 

I still hope it doesn’t go well for the lad at Leeds because of the way we were messed around. 

These are my sentiments exactly. It's a fascinating article but you can cut out all the waffle and pin most of it down to about two things: Leeds being a better side than us at the moment, and, most significantly, Emery's relationship with Orta. 

A few other points: 

- Leeds were said to have come into the frame at the last minute, and yet they scouted him 20 times? How does that add up then? 

- Why does everyone treat Bielsa like he's some sort of God? He hasn't won a lot in his career, usually resigns after about 1-2 seasons and bottled promotion last season. 

- If Arsenal's analysis was so thorough, how could they have missed Leeds' poor treatment of those Chelsea players? Then again, we've all witnessed Arsenal's misfiring on the pitch over the last 15 years. 

I think we're probably better off without Nketiah anyway. It sounds like there's hell of a lot of baggage and unwanted publicity surrounding him. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems that Arsenal have made substantial changes to the way they look at managing loans, and you can see this being the way that other top clubs will go.

It is interesting to read that clubs were required to "pitch" for the player, part of which presumably would be indicating how they would "look after him" while on loan. That being the case, it is a little strange that Leeds' track record in handling the three Chelsea loanees contrasts so markedly from our handling of Tammy, Kalas and Dasilva. I see that another poster commented that LJ flew "solo", but in the case of Tammy's loan, it was stated at the time that it was LJ's meeting with the player and his family that convinced him that we were the right place to come. 

In light of this it is hard to look past Emry's previous working relationship with Orta as being the clincher, although it is equally hard to escape the reality that Leeds' will probably be more successful than us, so giving the player more opportunities to shine, although it could equally be argued that Tammy's success in a struggling City team was the making of him!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It sounds like LJ, whilst impressing was ‘flying solo’ on the pitch and maybe MA was ,not surprisingly,  busy on other deals. If MA (our best closer of deals) wasn’t there then maybe that was a mistake on our part. If that was the case then I think we can be confident that next time he will be there for such a crucial deal. 

LJ flying solo was the clincher in convincing Tammy Abraham, and his family, that we were his best option.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

 

A few other points: 

- Leeds were said to have come into the frame at the last minute, and yet they scouted him 20 times? How does that add up then? 

- Why does everyone treat Bielsa like he's some sort of God? He hasn't won a lot in his career, usually resigns after about 1-2 seasons and bottled promotion last season. 

- If Arsenal's analysis was so thorough, how could they have missed Leeds' poor treatment of those Chelsea players? Then again, we've all witnessed Arsenal's misfiring on the pitch over the last 15 years. 

Leeds were doing succession planning in the event of losing Roofe.  That only happened late in the window.

Biesla is a respected coach.   It's all about the players development rather than winning things.  That's more of a consideration for an established pro on a perm move.

Yeah, an oversight on the Chelsea boys, but sound like they had reasons why the players didn't feature and these were accepted by Arsenal.  A message to EK that he isn't an automatic pick and needs to work hard too.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...