IGNORED

A great start to the season!

marcofisher

After all the doom and gloom following the first match we are 5th in the table going into the international break having played the best team in the league and with 3 of our key players injured.

Anyone who is upset at this point or because of not winning today really needs to give their head a scratch. One of the most exciting times to be a City fan. 

Top job LJ and team, let's get Nagy and Kalas back over the international and there is no reason why we can't stay with Leeds, Swansea and WBA at the top of this division. 

COYR!!!

I was hoping for 2 or 3 more points at this stage, but taking the injuries into account, I think we've done pretty well.

You get the feeling that when Nagy, Kalas and DaSilva are back, we will have a team that could be challenging for a top 2 spot, let alone the play offs.

Add to that the fact that it's still early days and some of the players are still getting used to each other and I can only see great things.

Not sure whether Korey will be able to get into this team when he comes back, which will be a shame though.

A decent start, has to he very decent considering all of those injuries!

The good point is just how much depth we have. Webster sale late in the window, the number out injured to return, to add competition and quality. All is good in the main. Have to also hope that we're getting our injuries out of the way fairly early, that our depth will tell over a season.

Yet I wonder. A 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 could've suited today IMO, injuries notwithstanding- we had a lot less of the ball, a few less chances though the injuries obviously a factor again.

Could Walsh in a '3' have not brought more control, yet it'd have been at someone's expense- tricky!

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A decent start, has to he very decent considering all of those injuries!

The good point is just how much depth we have. Webster sale late in the window, the number out injured to return, to add competition and quality. All is good in the main. Have to also hope that we're getting our injuries out of the way fairly early, that our depth will tell over a season.

Yet I wonder. A 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 could've suited today IMO, injuries notwithstanding- we had a lot less of the ball, a few less chances though the injuries obviously a factor again.

Could Walsh in a '3' have not brought more control, yet it'd have been at someone's expense- tricky!

I would imagine since Walsh wasn't on the bench that he must have been injured, would be no logic in LJ not naming a centre mid on the bench otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I would imagine since Walsh wasn't on the bench that he must have been injured, would be no logic in LJ not naming a centre mid on the bench otherwise. 

What is Szmodics then? 

I thought we suffered from not being able to play 3 at the back today. In the 2nd half Assombolonga was able to come deep and exploit space in front of our defence. If we been in a 3 or had Nagy in a defensive midfield role, they would have been able to pick him up. 

7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Didn't know that- he's injured too??

He played 90 for U23s in week

IMHO His performance didn’t merit a first team chance tbh

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What is Szmodics then? 

I thought we suffered from not being able to play 3 at the back today. In the 2nd half Assombolonga was able to come deep and exploit space in front of our defence. If we been in a 3 or had Nagy in a defensive midfield role, they would have been able to pick him up. 

An attacking midfielder, not a centre mid. More in the Palmer role.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He played 90 for U23s in week

IMHO His performance didn’t merit a first team chance tbh

Yeah but we were screaming for another centre mid to come on when we were 1-0 up for Niclas to offer more defensively and help to control the match. HNM for as good as he is with the ball doesn't seem to offer much defensively:

1873637525_Screenshot2019-08-31at18_03_32.thumb.png.f5344103a9d2490d41de9b44bafc0859.png

Yeah but we were screaming for another centre mid to come on when we were 1-0 up for Niclas to offer more defensively and help to control the match. HNM for as good as he is with the ball doesn't seem to offer much defensively:

Well Walsh doesn't - no point in picking someone you don’t believe will help , or is good enough atm , purely on a positional criteria

He had the option of changing to a 5 and bringing on AW , if he wanted to - and / or , as he later did using Rowe in his more familiar midfield role 

We needed IMHO an experienced head , ideally in the middle of the pitch to organise and help control the game

Extremely entertaining but at no point did we have any control over the game and that IMHO was down more to organisation than a lack of defensive midfield weaknesses / qualities 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Well Walsh doesn't - no point in picking someone you don’t believe will help , or is good enough atm , purely on a positional criteria

He had the option of changing to a 5 and bringing on AW , if he wanted to - and / or , as he later did using Rowe in his more familiar midfield role 

We needed IMHO an experienced head , ideally in the middle of the pitch to organise and help control the game

Extremely entertaining but at no point did we have any control over the game and that IMHO was down more to organisation than a lack of defensive midfield weaknesses / qualities 

My point is, from what i've seen of Walsh (admittedly very little), he does seem a decent player in possession, and purely us having more of the ball at 1-0 would have helped a great amount. Boro were starting to really outnumber us in midfield and really just having an extra man in there would have benefitted us greatly (imo).

My point is, from what i've seen of Walsh (admittedly very little), he does seem a decent player in possession, and purely us having more of the ball at 1-0 would have helped a great amount. Boro were starting to really outnumber us in midfield and really just having an extra man in there would have benefitted us greatly (imo).

I can see what you are aiming at and I wouldn’t disagree with the point of controlling the midfield but not convinced Walsh would have helped us tbh , and LJ had various options

(My initial move when Boro took control before their first would probably have been to put AW wide in a midfield 5 and ask Palmer to sit more, with JB & HM ,  in a disciplined midfield central 3 ) and gain some control back

Have to say I’ve enjoyed the last two home games more than %95 of last seasons 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I can see what you are aiming at and I wouldn’t disagree with the point of controlling the midfield but not convinced Walsh would have helped us tbh and he had various options

(My initial move when Boro took control before their first would probably have been to put AW wide in a midfield 5 and ask Palmer to sit more in a midfield central 3 ) and gain some control back

Another solution, Eliasson was MOTM for me but I felt that he should have come off instead of Palmer. This would have helped us break back on the advancing Boro as Palmer could keep threading balls through to Afobe and is much better at holding possession in the 451 that you mentioned. 

22 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

An attacking midfielder, not a centre mid. More in the Palmer role.

1873637525_Screenshot2019-08-31at18_03_32.thumb.png.f5344103a9d2490d41de9b44bafc0859.png

5 interceptions for Moore but the own goal has killed his rating, and most clearances

Another solution, Eliasson was MOTM for me but I felt that he should have come off instead of Palmer. This would have helped us break back on the advancing Boro as Palmer could keep threading balls through to Afobe and is much better at holding possession in the 451 that you mentioned. 

Another option

Im surprised LJ didn’t change something before the goal, you could sense it coming

COD Came On Quite soon after , not sure whether he was getting ready before goal went in 

Some of our forward thinking intent and play was excellent to watch , but success will come more when we can switch modes and keep control at times

We are a young side in many parts with maybe a lack of talkers / organisers and maybe that showed today 

Bloody entertaining though

26 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

It was wise to take Palmer off imo. He’d been booked and with his tendency to slide in there’s a good chance he’d have got sent off which wouldn’t have helped

3 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I just think he’s not deemed good enough to be ahead of others on the bench.

The International break offers an opportunity to reflect on our season, with seven games played.

After being totally outplayed by Leeds, I feared the worst, however, as things have panned out I’m much more positive. I suspect that Leeds will prove to be the best team in the league so our defeat and the nature of it needs to be considered in that context. Also, as Dan Bentley said after the Hull game the defeat/performance against Leeds provided an early reality check. 

As per last season the early signs are that our away form (a point at Birmingham and wins at Derby and Hull) is going to be awesome. 

In typical Championship fashion our results (other than against Leeds) have involved ‘fine margins’ and we haven’t controlled or dominated a game or even a period of a game this season. Nevertheless, winning with a new squad bodes well as once the players grow together as a team, we are at full strength  and we establish a style of play, we have the potential to be a very good side.

The quality and depth of the overall squad is really exciting and I’m especially looking forward to seeing how Nagy and Massengo settle into the Championship. Great to see Taylor Moore showing what he can do. At this early stage it appears there is a good spirit within the squad, although of course spirits are generally good when you are winning! 

The injury list is a real downer. Can’t wait for the day when everyone is fit and competing for a place in the starting 11.

Delighted by how Josh Brownhill has responded to being given the captain’s role, an old head on young shoulders.

So with six league games played and all things considered we are, I think, in a decent place.  

Archived