Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Mr Popodopolous

Does Bristol City have an SLO?

On 27/09/2019 at 16:00, GasDestroyer said:

Unfortunately, the fans are just punters to Bristol Sport. But hey ho, that is the price of progress!!!

Well I can see financial benefits perhaps from the Bristol Sport developments which help the club- increasingly important in an FFP based level.

However at the same time, definitely things I'm not so keen on- 'The Seldom Seen SLO' for a start- seen fit not even to join a platform such as this, with quite a good range of fans!

If he can't or won't engage properly on the correct range of platforms- some may say he should get the 'Elbow'. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I thought the SLO role was mandated so they had to join various forums to reach the widest audience.

Clearly that isn't the case.

I believed it was the case too- pretty sure it's in UEFA guidelines for the role of an SLO!

He appears to be engaging a bit more on Twitter now though, has been for a little while in fact- 12 tweets in a week!

Can't say I've seen any that marked the 1-0 win v WMP last Monday though!

Indeed, had a brief look.

I would suggest they are not fulfilling this aspect- and arguably one more in this part.

Virtual fans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Monitoring the mood of fans on internet message boards and engaging in dialogue with them where appropriate is another important aspect of the SLO’s job. Increasingly, SLOs are also making use of social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter as part of their communications work. 

Does our current SLO use FB to engage with the fans? The first bit is or should be a running joke by now.

Potentially violent fans/hooligans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Groups of football fans often include a small minority intent on seeking violent conflict with opposing supporters, often at prearranged locations. Other fans who are not normally considered hooligans may resort to violence if they feel they are being unfairly or disproportionately treated by police or stewards, for example. While SLOs will not be able to eliminate violence from football for good, it is essential for them to have access to these groups if they are to contribute to a reduction in violence using approaches based on prevention and de-escalation.

Interesting one. He and his predecessor Matt Parsons should've been all over this case. NOT because anyone was violent but because of the prevention and de-escalation, and the disproportionate treatment element.,

Others are better qualified to answer, but how well does our SLO engage with s82 etc? Again I am not accusing anyone of violence in it but certainly there is  a case to be made that police and stewards have not always been the fairest to them- SLO should be well in there.

Edit- wasn't Rachel Lemar also SLO at one stage? She should as well as Ryan Corrigan and Matt Parsons have been all over it- she may well have been but it's hard to say- anyone know?

Fan projects                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Fan projects have been set up in various countries and concentrate primarily on social work involving cultural and education projects designed to prevent violence among young supporters. One of their major tasks is to provide a permanent line of communication between supporters (hooligans, ultras, etc.) and the club, to improve mutual understanding and thus to initiate sustainable and positive structural and ideological changes on both sides.

Will be honest and say I don't know where to start with this one, so won't even try- anyone?

I get the impression that this doesn't occur much though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I thought the SLO role was mandated so they had to join various forums to reach the widest audience.

My understanding is that our SLO is under instruction NOT to engage with fans on OTIB.

Of course, if I'm mistaken, I'd be more than happy to stand corrected and engage with him in lively debate on here.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

My understanding is that our SLO is under instruction NOT to engage with fans on OTIB.

Of course, if I'm mistaken, I'd be more than happy to stand corrected and engage with him in lively debate on here.

They one way we would know this, would be if the SLO came on here and then ran away.

Yes, we can (collectively) be a challenge, but to be giving it a complete swerve makes it sound like the club have no faith in their selected appointment as an effective communicator. 

Especially as this forum has previously operated a 'closed' sub-section with pre approved questions.

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

That was clear from the start, Any club officials have been slowly disappearing from here. 

@Mr Popodopolous I remember you being surprised when I called it. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

:o 

I know @AshtonPark alluded to staff and that being thought this might be the case but to have it confirmed such as this!!

Wow!

18 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

That was clear from the start, Any club officials have been slowly disappearing from here. 

@Mr Popodopolous I remember you being surprised when I called it. 

I was indeed and was wondering about it when you mentioned it, but a non liaising SLO with instructions seemingly to that end on a platform in particular- that's fairly stunning (in a bad way)!

You certainly called it.

I wonder why it's the case!

@Up The City! you've defended Bristol Sport on this forum in recent days, staff read it etc- might you wish to revisit this view in the wake of such a revelation?

That's not to say I am criticising every individual who works for Bristol Sport or who predated working for AG in whatever capacity but it definitely seems a change for the worse!!

23 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

What a sad sad reflection on the Club 

How many of these were around in 82 when we dipped into our pockets to save the Club

Truly disgraceful

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

26 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

wtf?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can you really not understand why he cannot engage on here? 

• Hmmm 1
  • Aubergine 1
  • Hedgehog 2

42 minutes ago, TomF said:

Under it’s independent status we’ve never had to close it down for a) abuse to the manager.  *cough Pulis* nor b) for fake reports of players involved in car crashes. 

Governance seems much better than Twitter & some of the so called "fan" pages on the Facebook. The debate can sure get lively but by and large it's (fairly) respectful and good natured (unless you stray onto the Brexit thread😉) with the mantra of attack the post, not the poster being a good way to pull back anything that becomes too personal. 

For the SLO to be instructed NOT to engage on here is, frankly, bizarre. Ever since the days of the Netcentre, there and here have been the only places to go to for all things BCFC.

Very odd indeed 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Governance seems much better than Twitter & some of the so called "fan" pages on the Facebook. The debate can sure get lively but by and large it's (fairly) respectful and good natured (unless you stray onto the Brexit thread😉) with the mantra of attack the post, not the poster being a good way to pull back anything that becomes too personal. 

For the SLO to be instructed NOT to engage on here is, frankly, bizarre. Ever since the days of the Netcentre, there and here have been the only places to go to for all things BCFC.

Very odd indeed 

Bottom line is, those jointly at the helm now don’t want to engage with the fan base unless it suits them. Quite happy to do Facebook videos asking us to get behind the team though. . . 

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

4 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Bottom line is, those jointly at the helm now don’t want to engage with the fan base unless it suits them. Quite happy to do Facebook videos asking us to get behind the team though. . . 

Agreed - but you have to question the long term wisdom of such a policy. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Can you really not understand why he cannot engage on here? 

I'll bite- Please enlighten us, oh wise one!

On a sensible note- why exactly?

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The sceptic in me wonders if it's anything to do with a certain Head of Security- but that's surely 2 + 2=3 or 2+2=5.

Nope. Dave Storr is alright from my experience.

8 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Nope. Dave Storr is alright from my experience.

Okay thanks.

2+2=3 or 5 it was then! 😀

Apologies if you ever are reading this Dave Storr!

@AshtonPark Entirely his decision though?

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The sceptic in me wonders if it's anything to do with a certain Head of Security- but that's surely 2 + 2=3 or 2+2=5.

I've just counted. 

FINAL ANSWER.

• Haha 1

Before contacting the FSF, we should all complain, to the same person at the club, hopefully in high numbers.

Mention in the complaint that we are considering contacting the FSF.

Edited by Riaz
  • Like 1

There was a post by @The Original OTIB around the time of the discontent with Johnson IIRC.

Listed these email addresses- the format seems the same for each one.

doug.harman@bcfc.co.uk

keith.dawe@bcfc.co.uk

jon.lansdown@bcfc.co.uk

ernie.arathoon@bcfc.co.uk

Format- unless he has his own funky one or is under Bristol Sport- appears to be first name.last name@bcfc.co.uk.

Could've changed since then?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Does mark ashton have an email address?

If you are going to write I’d surmise that Jon Lansdown would be a better one to write too

Would  it not be a good idea if the SC&T contacted the Club ‘Officially’ , and asked the question directly ?

And if true , their reasons ?

Just a thought / suggestion  ?

@Blagdon red

@Dollymarie

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If you are going to write I’d surmise that Jon Lansdown would be a better one to write too

Would  it not be a good idea if the SC&T contacted the Club ‘Officially’ , and asked the question directly ?

And if true , their reasons ?

Just a thought / suggestion  ?

@Blagdon red

@Dollymarie

Yes, best to do it officially. A load of supporters just sending random emails will be ignored.

• Like 3

On the Bristol Bears board Tom Tainton, from their media team, was active as recently as August on there  - so it would be a bit weird if we had one forum blackout rule for the City but a completely different approach to the Bears. 

32 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yes, best to do it officially. A load of supporters just sending random emails will be ignored.

I was thinking someone could knock up an email and we can all copy it and sent it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

This....

Yes- and...?

A single daft remark in response to a daft point- seriously though, can you tell us why you think the SLO has been instructed to stay off?

Back to the point- I wonder if this Tweet- that someone sent last night- will get a response of any kind?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes- and...?

A single daft remark in response to a daft point- seriously though, can you tell us why you think the SLO has been instructed to stay off?

Back to the point- I wonder if this Tweet- that someone sent last night- will get a response of any kind?

I don’t bother with twitter but just looked at his twitter accounts 

TWO tweets , one a re-tweet about not standing since the beginning of August !!

Hes really engaging with fans on social media isn’t he 

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don’t bother with twitter but just looked at his twitter accounts 

TWO tweets , one a re-tweet about not standing since the beginning of August !!

Hes really engaging with fans on social media isn’t he 

Replies will show more but it's piss-poor.

I did a calculation the other day that he had made inclusive of the replies 12 in a week.

It's possible he engages on FB, though I don't know for sure as I don't use it that much- not seen any evidence of it but again maybe I'm in the wrong Fans Group. I say on Twitter front 12 in a week, more like Monday 23rd September 2019 to the end of yesterday. Still it seems to be creeping up steadily...

Doesn't include DMs of course, he may do plenty of these- honestly no idea on that front though.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Replies will show more but it's pisspoor.

I did a calculation the other day that he had made inclusive of the replies 12 in a week.

It's possible he engages on FB, though I don't know for sure. I say on Twitter front 12 in a week, more like Monday 23rd September 2019 to the end of yesterday. Still it's creeping up steadily...

Doesn't include DMs of course, he may do plenty of these.

Thanks - ( shows my knowledge of twitter !)

can see ‘replies’ now 

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Agreed - but you have to question the long term wisdom of such a policy. 

Exactly.

If we ever get a really bad season and  new fans decide to go back supporting Chelsea etc then  the club may have to reconsider an awful lot of how it engages with its core support.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

On the Bristol Bears board Tom Tainton, from their media team, was active as recently as August on there  - so it would be a bit weird if we had one forum blackout rule for the City but a completely different approach to the Bears. 

That also appears to be defunct now.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

That also appears to be defunct now.

I think it was a season 18/19 thread - and it seemed that there would be a 19/20 thread pinned closer to the start of the season proper. Either way, he has been in direct "liaison" with fans (even as a media bod) until only a few weeks ago. Rugby has a much closer relationship with their fans than the nasty football - stuff like the Clubhouse etc after the game at AG bears (way-hey, pun intended) testament to that. 

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There was a post by @The Original OTIB around the time of the discontent with Johnson IIRC.

Format- unless he has his own funky one or is under Bristol Sport- appears to be first name.last name@bcfc.co.uk.

mark.ashton@bristol-sport.co.uk

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Cross reference these with LinkedIn Sales Navigator & you may be able to confirm any active emails.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/linkedin-sales-navigator/hihakjfhbmlmjdnnhegiciffjplmdhin?hl=en

(Little tip from my job hunting days & contacting bosses bosses etc, directly, to show initiative.)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phantom said:

When you look at what the role is supposed to involved there are lots of things not being done

http://fsf.org.uk/assets/Downloads/SLOs/UEFA-SUPPORTER-LIAISON-OFFICER-HANDBOOK.pdf

'5.2 Minimum requirements for SLOs SLOs should meet the following minimum requirements: • The SLO must be available as the main point of contact at the club for supporters. • The SLO manages the information flow/communications/dialogue between the fans and the club. • The SLO liaises and builds relationships with the various supporter groups, other liaison officers, the football association, league, police, etc. • The SLO must be credible with fans and therefore should have experience and contact with the networks in the club’s fan base. • The SLO gathers feedback, and monitors and evaluates the project.'

My personal view on the SLO is that they should be employed by fifa or some footballing body, not employed by football clubs. If they are employed by the club then they're already in their pockets and have to say yes to them. They should be independant of the club.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

It's been pretty much a blackout, prior to that tiny burst of posts he hadn't been seen in months despite having a thread in which he claimed he would be available through. Everything went unanswered. He then said a new thread was going to be made, the old one was unpinned and now we have nothing at all. Last year was great on that front, this one has been very poor.

Not too impressed right now. Seems Bristol Sport as a collective want to control (marketing only/yes people) rather than have genuine avenues of communications and feedback.

Edited by Rinkadink

57 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

Not too impressed right now. Seems Bristol Sport as a collective want to control (marketing only/yes people) rather than have genuine avenues of communications and feedback.

Exactly this. Want to interact when it suits them. Such a shame. 

5 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Cross reference these with LinkedIn Sales Navigator & you may be able to confirm any active emails.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/linkedin-sales-navigator/hihakjfhbmlmjdnnhegiciffjplmdhin?hl=en

(Little tip from my job hunting days & contacting bosses bosses etc, directly, to show initiative.)

Thanks- yeah used it myself once or twice, not for a while though!

Don't have it at this time- dunno if I want club officials knowing I looked at their LinkedIn however! 🙈