Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
fanjita

Defunct grounds

39 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Thats quite a high roof at plough lane, do well to see anything from a bus to be fair.

Well you'd know. as a bloke whose never lived there or travelled that road. :bored:

3 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Common sense the goalposts wouldnt be there 3 years after they left.

Was a nice story though.

Here's Plough Lane. You go past it on Durnsford Rd, where you can see those houses. H posted Wimbledon Greyhound stadium which was also in Plough Lane, but further down. I lived there for 13 years. I know the area. And yes it remained untouched for years. See picture below. Safeways bought it, failed to get PP and it wasn't developed for 14 years.

Image result for wimbledon fc ground plough lane

• Like 1

Cool if you lived in the richest area in london sw19 is it?

No need to tell me.

Cant see any goalposts in the pictures you posted?

If you could see them from a bus i find it odd no fans took them.

Just strikes me as odd!

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Cool if you lived in the richest area in london sw19 is it?

No need to tell me.

Cant see any goalposts in the pictures you posted?

If you could see them from a bus i find it odd no fans took them.

Just strikes me as odd!

Your stalking of my posts strikes everyone as odd.

Yes, I lived there for much of the time I lived in London. My original board name here was SW19 Red. Not everyone in the post code is a millionaire you know.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

26 for me, all with City.

Is it a bit out of date though? No Upton Park.

It isn't supposed to be a definitive list, a couple of the grounds on there were never even ever league grounds, it's just one of those random clickbait things, but for once, a quite interesting one ( well for us ground nerds anyway!)

If we're counting Somerton Park, White Hart Lane & Upton Park then it's 22 for me.

Highfield Road & Highbury the most memorable 2.

19 for me - 15 with City - from the highs of Wembley for the FT in 1985 to the lows of writing to the football league about the abysmal view for away fans at the old Northampton Ground. Happy days...but as other have observed - no wonder I am no longer anywhere near the 92!

29 minutes ago, allyolly said:

27 with city for me and that doesn’t include the national hockey stadium for MK Dons. 

I went there too I think. A Friday night game and Steve Brooker got the only goal quite early on?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I went there too I think. A Friday night game and Steve Brooker got the only goal quite early on?

Quite right mate! Lots still outside when we scored. Think we might have played there on another occasion too. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

They are building their new ground where the greyhounds (and stockcar racing) used to be.  It is still on Plough Lane, maybe a quarter a mile from the old ground. 

I went to plough land in the late 70's and it had big open terrace for the away fans. The photos above are of the old speedway/greyhound stadium which was a couple of miles away. My attached photo is of plough lane

IMG_2967.JPG

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I went to plough land in the late 70's and it had big open terrace for the away fans. The photos above are of the old speedway/greyhound stadium which was a couple of miles away. My attached photo is of plough lane

IMG_2967.JPG

Exactly. It was a bit like the Mem without the tents and B&Q furniture.

I paid my first ever visit to Twerton Park this year, and it reminded me of the old Plough Lane ground.

Cheap n' cheeful. A bloke was barbecuing and selling sausages actually on the back tier of one of the terraces.

Wimbledon Stadium, where they did the stock cars, greyhounds and speedway, by contrast, was a proper little stadium, with full cover and all seats.

I was surprised it closed tbh as it always got big crowds for the dogs.

That away end was big and quite steep and remember looking over the back at a massive Schweppes bottle factory. As you say the rest of the ground was like the Mem strange little stands and a high roof on the home end but the speedway/greyhound stadium in its day was quite decent just like the old white city stadium was

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MigratedRobin said:

The Wikipedia entry for Plough Lane is a bit harsh!

Opened Sep. 1912

Closed Apr. 1998

DESTROYED  2002

It was an eyesore for yonks. Eventually David Wilson Homes bought it and created the little Lego estate that is there today, but that must be about 2008.

I think Underhill, the old Barnet place, is in the same sorry state.

• Like 1

I remember going to see Somerset in a John Player League game in Bradford and the ground was next door to the old Bradford Park Avenue one. It must have been ten years after they folded but everything was still there (including the goalposts) just rotting slowly into the ground. There were small trees and scrub on the pitch. I imagine it`s been developed now though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, allyolly said:

27 with city for me and that doesn’t include the national hockey stadium for MK Dons. 

I feel I’ve seen City play there twice. Someone will tell me if I’m wrong!

• Like 1

On 19/10/2019 at 12:10, Rudolf Hucker said:

20 for me. God I feel old. 

15 for me, so feeling a little younger 😀

Strangely enough I have been to a few of the clubs old grounds but not to the new ones, eg Leicester, Boro. After Luton yesterday I ticked off 60 of the current grounds about two thirds done. 

Edit, plus two as I read the rest of the posts saying about Somerton and Upton Parks.

• Like 1

Good calls regarding other grounds missing from the list. 21 for me from the original list plus Somerton Park= 22 and all with BCFC. Saw speedway at Eastville, Somerton Park and Wembley as well.

What's sad for me is that quite a few years ago I had counted 72 grounds that I had visited with BCFC. My tally has been diminished by 22! It will be 49 grounds visited when Brentford move.

Can you be awarded 1/2 a defunct ground visited for Dean Court, Bournemouth before they turned the pitch 90 degrees? Asking for a friend...

• Haha 1

On 20/10/2019 at 02:30, Red-Robbo said:

Here's Plough Lane. You go past it on Durnsford Rd, where you can see those houses. H posted Wimbledon Greyhound stadium which was also in Plough Lane, but further down. I lived there for 13 years. I know the area. And yes it remained untouched for years. See picture below. Safeways bought it, failed to get PP and it wasn't developed for 14 years.

Can’t see Beckham scoring from half way line on that pitch (2nd photo). 31 for me if Newport & West Ham included. It’s the new grounds that present a problem for me living so far away!

Cooo...back in the day, the old Chester, Brighton, Aldershit, Oxford, West Ham, The Den, White Hart Lane, plus of course Eastville and Trumpton.  

Does the old AG count?!?!?!?  I've been in all 4 of the previous stands!

33 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

What an awful, horrid little ground Sixfields is.  4 cattle sheds in a retail park.

The pub is good though!

Surprised myself with that total - 23 for me.  Only one game not watching City, Highbury for Arsenal vs Fulham, only game that season that the Gunners didn't score at home.  Very happy days following City at the remaining 22 - Dave Smith in last min @ Gay Meadow in 89/90 promotion season, the old AG floodlights at Springfield Park, the 5-0 night win at Vetch Field, trying to burn a Rovers shirt in the away end of the Manor Ground, the hostility & 'edge'of the old Den, the brilliance of Jacki in the freezing cold at Filbert St in the FA Cup, a bonkers last minute decision to drive to Leeds Rd on New Years Day morning in the freezing cold, Scott Murray in the 3-1 win @ Ninian Park, seem to remember 'The Chief' scoring a worldie goal at the old Burnden Park, only one game at Eastville with many a gas mask in evidence.....!  And, of course, the beauty of the '86 Freight Trophy @ Wembley, Riley, Neville et al.

Beautiful memories.

• Like 1

20 of those, although I wonder if Wembley should count: in spite of the complete rebuild it is basically the same place. As mentioned above, couldn’t Dean Court be included as a rebuild? Can also claim Upton Park. 

21 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I've done 36 (including the 3 mentioned later ), not done Barnet, Burton Rotherham (Don valley), Scarboro, Wycombe and Morecomb.

37 for me the same as yours plus barnet

• Like 1

Bradford Park Avenue,                                            Shay Stadium,Halifax Town

Victoria Ground, Stoke City,                                   Maine Road, Man City

Boothferry Park, Hull City                                       Leeds Road , Huddersfield

Millmoor, Rotherham         

Park Avenue was the strangest. In the days when they used to regularly prop up the fold 4th Division year after year, they only got a few hundred supporters  in what was actually 

a once grand stadium, which was attached to one of Yorkshire Cricket Club's grounds. There was a spot where one could watch the football and a cricket match at the same time!                          

• Like 1