Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JBFC II

Massengo

Recommended Posts

To have a man of the match today would be unfair imo, to a man every player was outstanding. Big shout outs to Williams and Baker at centre back who were quality and kept Mitrovic quiet as well as Fam who put in the best performance I’ve seen from him in a city shirt. 

However, how the hell do we have Massengo playing for us? He’s only 18 (somehow) and yet he had their midfield chasing shadows whenever he was on the ball, was never off them when they were on it and put in a premier league quality performance today. 

I’ve been critical of him in the past when he’s been overworked and lacked energy in matches but wow he was awesome today. Scary to think how far he could go (hopefully with us!)

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BCFC Grim said:

Looked ridiculously good today. Him and Nagy work really well.

As they did against Huddersfield. No reason they can’t do the same on Tuesday against M’wall. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ExiledAjax said:

For me Nagy just edged him today in terms of performance. We're talking the difference between an 8.5 and an 8 though. Looks like they could form a great partnership.

It’s a tough one. Nagy was excellent for the goal and hassled brilliantly. 

Thought Massengo edges it on the ball though (not that Nagy did anything wrong...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a joy to watch.  Some of his first touches were exquisite today and bought him the yard he needed to make 91% successful passes today.

Just need to be careful to give him a rest at the right time.  Look after him LJ!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a bit of a Fam knocker, I think he has improved considerably in the last 5 or 6 games. If Eliasson continues to play he will create a lot more chances for him, though Fam does still need to convert more.

Everyone can see that Massengo is class and controls central midfield with Nagy.  I think either could work with Korey Smith too.

Great team performance.  I can't think of anyone who didn't have a good game. Pen shout was a real let off though.

442 in the last 2 games seems to be working well and should probably continue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Just a joy to watch.  Some of his first touches were exquisite today and bought him the yard he needed to make 91% successful passes today.

Just need to be careful to give him a rest at the right time.  Look after him LJ!!

That’s exactly it imo. 

Earlier on in the season he was played too much (because of a lack of options) and he couldn’t cope so at Luton he looked lost and was overrun. 

Now he’s being looked after he looks class again

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JBFC II said:

It’s a tough one. Nagy was excellent for the goal and hassled brilliantly. 

Thought Massengo edges it on the ball though (not that Nagy did anything wrong...)

The joy of having two central midfielders who in Football Manager you’d be saying are DMs, but they both have so much more about their game.  Nagy probably has more range in his running, turning up in the box on several occasions today.  It’s what we’ve missed, players who don’t play on the safe side of their man.  They are only gonna get better together too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great tireless performance from Han Noah, he looked a class above Fulhams midfield most of the game and for someone so young is incredible.

We have to get promoted to keep talent like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The joy of having two central midfielders who in Football Manager you’d be saying are DMs, but they both have so much more about their game.  Nagy probably has more range in his running, turning up in the box on several occasions today.  It’s what we’ve missed, players who don’t play on the safe side of their man.  They are only gonna get better together too.

Enjoy them now. If we don't go up they're history and a big profit for uncle Steve 

  • Aubergine 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

You know we're doing alright when there are 5 or 6 contenders for MOTM. Massengo one, Nagy, Baker, Williams, Fam, Brownhill ...

 

Diehdou had a stormer too..He battered them and got his goal....And what a goal! Not to mention Elliason....We are not bad right now!!

5 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

A young Gow, that's how good he is

Yes he is the player we have needed for 40 years!!

Edited by REDOXO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just a joy to watch.  Some of his first touches were exquisite today and bought him the yard he needed to make 91% successful passes today.

Just need to be careful to give him a rest at the right time.  Look after him LJ!!

Easily done with Korey Smith ready to come in

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The joy of having two central midfielders who in Football Manager you’d be saying are DMs, but they both have so much more about their game.  Nagy probably has more range in his running, turning up in the box on several occasions today.  It’s what we’ve missed, players who don’t play on the safe side of their man.  They are only gonna get better together too.

The latest jargon to describe such players seems to be 'positional midfielder'. Back in the day they would be called half backs, which is a bit clearer as a description.

The nearest current parallel I can think of is Jorginho. Others have mentioned Xavi, the most recent master of the classic half back role imo.

We now have 2 superb half backs, who bring a subtlety to our play. A joy, as you say.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

His dink over "20m" Cairney and cruyff turn had me almost losing my cover in the home end.

Overplayed a couple times but his distribution, ball retrieval and ball retention was real top tier today.

Nipped in and retrieved the ball so many times!

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

The latest jargon to describe such players seems to be 'positional midfielder'. Back in the day they would be called half backs, which is a bit clearer as a description.

The nearest current parallel I can think of is Jorginho. Others have mentioned Xavi, the most recent master of the classic half back role imo.

We now have 2 superb half backs, who bring a subtlety to our play. A joy, as you say.

Was that in a WM formation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Nipped in and retrieved the ball so many times!

Was that in a WM formation!

I may be old but I wasn't actually around when Herbert Chapman was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just a joy to watch.  Some of his first touches were exquisite today and bought him the yard he needed to make 91% successful passes today.

Just need to be careful to give him a rest at the right time.  Look after him LJ!!

I don’t buy the idea that Massengo will require ‘a rest’. He’s not made of glass and is only 18. At that age most of us had bundles of energy and stamina and would have played football everyday. He’s also receiving to quality coaching and has access to  top facilities and will be getting well cared for.

The boy has real ability and will only get better the more he plays. We all just enjoy watching him while he’s here,

 


 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Immense ( and I'm not talking about his hair.)

He and Nagy in the middle with Brownhill right and Elliasson left must be the starting midfield.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Andy Cole was the last player to grace a city shirt with so much natural ability that iv seen 

happy to be shot down but god this boys good ....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crackers Corner said:

When we signed him I have to admit to being bemused, it was for me the most batshit crazy signing of the summer.

It's turned into an inspired transfer and I'm sure we will be fending off offers from bigger clubs. 

 

Thierry Henry rated him, which was good enough for me. Henry being sacked was bad news for him but good news for us!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally we are lucky to have one midfielder at City who is as good as him at any one time but with Adam as well we are now blessed with two. Three if you include Josh.

At today`s crazy prices there`s £75m+ right there. Please let us have the time to enjoy them before they all move on to bigger and better things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone that watched the Champions League Youtube clip, to have come away from that and not think he would be good enough, would be crazy.

The only doubt that was the physical and speed of this league.  But players with good touch and technical ability can manipulate the ball into the position for their next touch and away from tackles.

He’ll have in inconsistency in his game, but you have to accept that, some of ours have that and he’s giving 4/5/6 years too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

Enjoy them now. If we don't go up they're history and a big profit for uncle Steve 

You think that “uncle Steve” will make a profit from being involved with Bristol City..?! 
I’d love him too, but I think you should probably be a little more appreciative that he’s prepared to lose tens, if not hundreds, of millions on transforming our club into what it’s becoming!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bar BS3 said:

You think that “uncle Steve” will make a profit from being involved with Bristol City..?! 
I’d love him too, but I think you should probably be a little more appreciative that he’s prepared to lose tens, if not hundreds, of millions on transforming our club into what it’s becoming!

It was a term of endearment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Final 3 Star said:

The only slight downside is that we don't have much of an aerial presence in midfield now. Massengo always challenges in the air, but rarely wins out. Other than that, looking really good.

He should grow his hair to give him a bit more height 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t buy the idea that Massengo will require ‘a rest’. He’s not made of glass and is only 18. At that age most of us had bundles of energy and stamina and would have played football everyday. He’s also receiving to quality coaching and has access to  top facilities and will be getting well cared for.

The boy has real ability and will only get better the more he plays. We all just enjoy watching him while he’s here,

 


 

 

Trust you to put a dampener on things. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, harvey54 said:

It was a term of endearment 

Good, rightly so, but I think you are way off the mark with thinking that he’ll make a profit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pillred said:

Trust you to put a dampener on things. 

What?   You’ll have to explain that comment.

  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

He should grow his hair to give him a bit more height 

And use strong hair lacquer................:thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Good, rightly so, but I think you are way off the mark with thinking that he’ll make a profit. 

I think that we are run as a business. John is the fan that brought Dad along and Steve invested. He's a businessman and we're part of Bristol Sport. He runs us as a business imho. Players are assets and investments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

I think that we are run as a business. John is the fan that brought Dad along and Steve invested. He's a businessman and we're part of Bristol Sport. He runs us as a business imho. Players are assets and investments. 

Yes. My point is that selling either/any players won’t see SL making any profit for himself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For anyone that watched the Champions League Youtube clip, to have come away from that and not think he would be good enough, would be crazy.

The only doubt that was the physical and speed of this league.  But players with good touch and technical ability can manipulate the ball into the position for their next touch and away from tackles.

He’ll have in inconsistency in his game, but you have to accept that, some of ours have that and he’s giving 4/5/6 years too.

To add to that Dave, i would say he must be one of the very best we've had at getting his body between ball and man.

I'd be happy if he was 28 and playing like he is. This kid can go all the way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

From another planet, to miss-quote John Motson. 

As i posted elsewhere..........he is one of rhe X-Men   ProfessorXavier can confirm that he is a super human 30 year old inhabiting an 18 year old body! 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t buy the idea that Massengo will require ‘a rest’. He’s not made of glass and is only 18. At that age most of us had bundles of energy and stamina and would have played football everyday. He’s also receiving to quality coaching and has access to  top facilities and will be getting well cared for.

The boy has real ability and will only get better the more he plays. We all just enjoy watching him while he’s here,

 


 

 

Were you watching six weeks ago? Massengo was struggling to play Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday. This is the Championship we are talking about, not the Toolstation Premier or Suburban League Division 4 or you playing five a side one day and bowls the next with your mates!!

It’s not just about having the fitness levels to run for 90 minutes but the strength and concentration aspects at that level that Massengo has to deal with are so far in excess of what your “average” 18 year old would be able to accomplish it’s laughable.

At the moment the kid is fresh and right on point but if in a month or two he is 10% off his game, LJ will quite rightly rest the boy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...