IGNORED

Manager’s post match comments

Jerseybean

LJ tends to say very similar things after a poor City performance. I would really like him to be more honest as other managers are, as for example Lee Bowyer following Charlton’s defeat at Derby last night.....https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-bowyer-derby-charlton-reaction-3692187

You can’t please all of the people all of the time. Different fans want different things. For me, too much emphasis is put on post match interviews. It’s what is said in the changing room that matters.

Bowyer seems to be losing his head which isn’t good. He has lots of injuries to contend with and the only creative player in their line up last night was Gallagher. One player. And he then moans at his players for not creating anything 

29 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I feel like if he was honest he would get pelters for calling out and singling out individual players. Agree it’s whats said behind closed doors that matters

Quite a few times he thrown players under the bus in interviews 

2 minutes ago, Highguy said:

Quite a few times he thrown players under the bus in interviews 

100% and if it’s correct then i personally have no problem with it and wouldn’t call him out for doing so. Maybe the OP meant if he admitted he got tactics or game plan wrong? 

13 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

100% and if it’s correct then i personally have no problem with it and wouldn’t call him out for doing so. Maybe the OP meant if he admitted he got tactics or game plan wrong? 

When is a manager who is under pressure from fans going come out and admit he got things wrong or his game plan and tactics wasnt right always easier to blame others

Theres mention of post match waffle on the OSIB podcast (has the Pod been advertised here yet @Shtanley ?)

Personally, I enjoy reading Johnson's transcribed post match presser in the Post. Yeah he comes out with some David Brent classics, but he also gives away details about behind the scenes stuff. Particularly training techniques, if fir example LJ wants to demonstrate his own genius!

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Theres mention of post match waffle on the OSIB podcast (has the Pod been advertised here yet @Shtanley ?)

Personally, I enjoy reading Johnson's transcribed post match presser in the Post. Yeah he comes out with some David Brent classics, but he also gives away details about behind the scenes stuff. Particularly training techniques, if fir example LJ wants to demonstrate his own genius!

Yeah just started the thread, aggressive in our simplicity is a new fav of mine. "power from the pain to show controlled aggression" is another one. Feel like we should be keeping a huge log of all of these tbh.

38 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

To clarify what I meant was simply a plea for more honesty and less ‘nothing-speak’ from LJ.

So, for example, if everyone (or at least the majority) saw a bad performance, ineffective tactics, poor passing, sloppy decision making, few decent moves, limited attempts on goal, etc, etc, LJ simply says it like it is. 

Too often for me he says something, that really means nothing much.

I was contrasting the LJ approach with the more forthright and straightforward LB quote from last night which left no doubt that he was bitterly disappointed by his teams performance. As a manager, in any profession, I would suggest you need to say what you see. Not least of all as others have seen it too! 

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Yeah just started the thread, aggressive in our simplicity is a new fav of mine. "power from the pain to show controlled aggression" is another one. Feel like we should be keeping a huge log of all of these tbh.

? That’s defo got the makings of a new huge new thread for 2020....something like ‘LJ’s phrases and quotes: the good, the bad, the ugly and the nonsensical’ Shtanley it feels like the honour of starting it off should be yours! 

27 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Hasn't been mentioned on the pod yet but my personal hobby is counting how many times Johnson says "...if you like" after a cliche. He can't help himself, if you like. 

Controlled aggression, I do understand. It means, for one example, strong in the tackle, but not committing needless fouls.

But aggressive in our simplicity is a mesmerising one. Is he trying to transfuse 'keep it simple' and 'be aggressive' into one glorious statement? Could it be shortened to aggressimple? Aggrosimps?

22 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Could do with someone like that in our side....snarling,,putting a foot in.

We're a soft touch.

I think we`ve got one or two more now than we`re used to having - Jack Hunt and Tommy Rowe for example. I don`t think Ash W is any shrinking violet either. Now JD`s back I can see Rowe for instance coming on as sub to do a bit of `enforcing` should it be needed.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Gonna take some beating, but I've not written Lee off for going one better.

Certainly a personal fav of mine too.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Could do with someone like that in our side....snarling,,putting a foot in.

We're a soft touch.

Who is the great enforcer for:

WBA, Leeds, Brentford, Fulham?

In that sense, not sure there is one. Livermore maybe but footballing sides don't tend to have them.

They have physicality of course, but more like intense pressing in spells IMO.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who is the great enforcer for:

WBA, Leeds, Brentford, Fulham?

In that sense, not sure there is one. Livermore maybe but footballing sides don't tend to have them.

They have physicality of course, but more like intense pressing in spells IMO.

Livermore and Phillips for the first two.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Livermore and Phillips for the first two.

Yeah, Livermore- Phillips is an excellent passer too though, great range.

I think also perhaps people have different ideas of 'enforcer' or 'tough tackler'...some stats for tackles or similar for either would be interesting- get the impression tackling is a lot less prevalent than even 10, 20 years ago too. Modern types of enforcers- Phillips certainly.

Edit- just looked it up a bit- Phillips it is then- but he's more modern too than a lot of ideas of a typical enforcer!

Assuming he was ever present, it was about 3-3.5 per game.

Wouldn't say tackling a dying art- far from it- but it seems less prevalent for sure than 10 years ago even.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, Livermore- Phillips is an excellent passer too though, great range.

I think also perhaps people have different ideas of 'enforcer' or 'tough tackler'...some stats for tackles or similar for either would be interesting- get the impression tackling is a lot less prevalent than even 10, 20 years ago too. Modern types of enforcers- Phillips certainly.

Edit- just looked it up a bit- Phillips it is then- but he's more modern too than a lot of ideas of a typical enforcer!

Assuming he was ever present, it was about 3-3.5 per game.

Spot on,if those two are enforcers then I’m John Gotti 

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I wouldn't say Livermore is an enforcer, he's just allowed to get away with a lot by referees.

Yes, cynical bastard.

Re previous posters - “enforcers”, yes, not in the old fashioned sense, but skilled at breaking up the play.

Archived