Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

ncnsbcfc

Liam Walsh (Merged)

On 11/01/2020 at 12:24, Davefevs said:

No 1 year option has ever been mentioned, so we can assume he’s OOC this summer.

City’s options:

1. Offer him a new deal, which leads to other options:

• he signs it, we move on
  • he doesn’t sign it, he becomes available in the summer for either development compensation agreed by a tribunal or an agreement between us and buying club

2. Don’t offer him a deal, Walsh is free to go wherever he likes in the summer (no development compensation)

I’ll happily admit Walsh is my blind spot...I just can’t see him being a regular here at City.  He might prove me wrong.  Fair play to him if he does - i’m sure he isn’t worried about my view!!

In Coventry’s situation, they may be hoping he doesn’t sign a deal, who knows they might be encouraging him not to.

Obviously no guarantees, but the qpr free kick and that solo goal for cov, suggests he has some real quality,,,, bringing him and morrell back to replace brownhill if he goes this summer would seem very sensible to me?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m really not that interested in players that aren’t involved in the first team.

Surely a 'sage' would need to know about everything?

Unless of course....

On 25/01/2020 at 21:32, Simon bristol said:

Obviously no guarantees, but the qpr free kick and that solo goal for cov, suggests he has some real quality,,,, bringing him and morrell back to replace brownhill if he goes this summer would seem very sensible to me?

I'd probably keep one of them out on loan as we already have Nagy, Smith and Massengo.

But from what I'm reading Walsh is doing very well there. Winning motm again, this time against Birmingham in the cup. Controlling the midfield. 

Their fans are desperate for them to sign him up. But one reckons he does actually have a year option in the contract. That makes sense as I can't see how we would loan him out to only leave for nothing in the summer.

At 22 playing so well in league one. Apparently a lot better than he started. He doesn't make the mistakes he was, and it seems to be exactly the right loan for him.

Get him back here either now or next season and stick him in our side I reckon. We want to play passing football. Well we have a 2 footed classy midfielder who is still only 22 and will get better.

He should have had this loan a year ago as he might be in our side now if so.

• Like 2

On 25/01/2020 at 21:32, Simon bristol said:

Personally I would have them both back now if Brownhill goes. Apparently we are in the market for a midfield player (as well as a forward) and we have two chomping at the bit to play. I guess this week will tell.

Edited by REDOXO

LJ has just confirmed we have a one year option on him

Thought it was a Bit strange just running down his contract.

Very thankful, that it isn't the case.

I’ve always liked Walsh. Think he’s a cracking little player and will only come good. He came on as sub against Man City(a) for his debut and he didn’t look out of place then. 

Hopefully Morrell, Walsh and Szmodics will be like new signings next season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’ve always liked Walsh. Think he’s a cracking little player and will only come good. He came on as sub against Man City(a) for his debut and he didn’t look out of place then. 

Hopefully Morrell, Walsh and Szmodics will be like new signings next season.

Yay - more midfielders!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Yay - more midfielders!!!

Well Brownhill is likely to be off. LJ also said that Walsh is better in a midfield 3 so we will need options in there.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Well Brownhill is likely to be off. LJ also said that Walsh is better in a midfield 3 so we will need options in there.

Just to clear, I have no issue with your post :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

So he does have an option after all! As was obvious really

It wasn’t actually!!!

When signing his original deal, the conditions of the ‘option’ year would’ve been agreed at that point.  His first 2.5 years might’ve been £8k per week, but the option year might’ve been more, e.g. £10-12k.  Walsh might’ve said, “If you want the protection of a year option, I want higher wages”.  Walsh, then bound by City’s decision to exercise or not.  But if City chose not to exercise it, he can go for nothing, no tribunal.  So pros and cons on both sides.

Being under 24, in the summer, as long as City offer him another year at £8k (in line with existing contract), and Walsh rejected it they become entitled to development compensation.

So in fact, with this protection available they didn’t have to commit to an option year.

Not the greatest explanation from me though.

edit: forgot to add, looks like he had a very good game v Brum.  Has he lost a bit of his ‘chunkyness’?

Edited by Davefevs

3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Well Brownhill is likely to be off. LJ also said that Walsh is better in a midfield 3 so we will need options in there.

I hope the penny has dropped with him that we would probably be better full stop in a midfield 3, perhaps many of our CMs past and present under him might have been!

4-3-3 would certainly help to highlight Walsh's strengths and perhaps help mask some of the weaknesses. QPR in the Cup showcased both of these, albeit in a two!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It wasn’t actually!!!

When signing his original deal, the conditions of the ‘option’ year would’ve been agreed at that point.  His first 2.5 years might’ve been £8k per week, but the option year might’ve been more, e.g. £10-12k.  Walsh might’ve said, “If you want the protection of a year option, I want higher wages”.  Walsh, then bound by City’s decision to exercise or not.  But if City chose not to exercise it, he can go for nothing, no tribunal.  So pros and cons on both sides.

Being under 24, in the summer, as long as City offer him another year at £8k (in line with existing contract), and Walsh rejected it they become entitled to development compensation.

So in fact, with this protection available they didn’t have to commit to an option year.

Not the greatest explanation from me though.

edit: forgot to add, looks like he had a very good game v Brum.  Has he lost a bit of his ‘chunkyness’?

Course it was obvious. If we hadn’t have had an option it would have been mentioned that we were either talks for a new deal or we were looking to sell him to have value.  Neither was mentioned so it was clear there was an option. Development compensation would have been low. So low as to be quite irrelevant 

Sorry if this has allready been posted here, can't be bothered to scroll through to find out.

Just had a look on the Coventry fans forum and there's a thread about LW, the Cov fans are absolutely raving about him.

Iam hoping he will be part of our first team next season.

40 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He’s a fine player ...

Makes me think we should have just endured the bumps and bruises and played him. I don’t care what league he plays in he has obvious quality. Always thought he could be our Barry Bannan and still do. 

I have said before he needed a loan for timing purposes. Mostly defensive and the video shows he times tackles much better now. Shows he knows when to agitate and when to drop off and contain. It looks as if he has taken some extra touches out of his game as well which I think is important for a CM(Nagy big problem imo). 

@Davefevs he does look slimmer but maybe that is because he is playing 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Course it was obvious. If we hadn’t have had an option it would have been mentioned that we were either talks for a new deal or we were looking to sell him to have value.  Neither was mentioned so it was clear there was an option. Development compensation would have been low. So low as to be quite irrelevant 

Perhaps have a read of this Dave.  It’s over 3 years old, the sums are not insignificant for some of lesser know players, but also see the add-ons the tribunal sets too.

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

So, definitely not irrelevant.  We aren’t talking £18k for Alan Walsh in 2020.

Its obvious in your view.  I’m giving you an alternate view, and some factual data to perhaps suggest it’s not quite as obvious!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps have a read of this Dave.  It’s over 3 years old, the sums are not insignificant for some of lesser know players, but also see the add-ons the tribunal sets too.

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

So, definitely not irrelevant.  We aren’t talking £18k for Alan Walsh in 2020.

Its obvious in your view.  I’m giving you an alternate view, and some factual data to perhaps suggest it’s not quite as obvious!

I understand that compensation is paid but don’t believe we would get much for Walsh. With that in mind we would have heard if his contact was nearly up.  The club communicate year options or they communicate either selling or trying for new deals. If no communication then it’s highly likely that out of the three possibilities the actual is an option. 

Therefore it was obvious he had an option. The lack of communication made it obvious. 

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I understand that compensation is paid but don’t believe we would get much for Walsh. With that in mind we would have heard if his contact was nearly up.  The club communicate year options or they communicate either selling or trying for new deals. If no communication then it’s highly likely that out of the three possibilities the actual is an option. 

Therefore it was obvious he had an option. The lack of communication made it obvious. 

When you say not much, given the examples (from 3 years ago), our own Adelakun (Played Lg1 only) at £600k, I’d suggest we’d do ok.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When you say not much, given the examples (from 3 years ago), our own Adelakun (Played Lg1 only) at £600k, I’d suggest we’d do ok.

Adelakun didn’t go to a tribunal. Other teams were interested in him at the time. He had been at Scunthorpe for quite a while, from a younger age and they could show they had developed him a lot.  Not really a comparable situation.  

Have not read complete thread, but interesting comments in the press conference available from yesterday and on line. 
One of LJ better ones with less of the phrases that are trotted out. Either way he alluded to Walsh a fair bit and confirmed  the extra year and stated Walsh needed pretty much 40 games  on the bounce to get him up to speed and prepared for championship football.  And to be a top performer in league one that would assist him for the championship.  He stated he was talking to him personally the day before.
listening to that I am optimistic he has a future here.

Edited by DT The Optimist
  • Like 1

I like Walsh and always have, I’m glad we’ve got the year option in his contract and should brownhill go he should replace him 

Something about Walsh's skill excites me like no other, looking forwards to seeing him play a key role for City next season.

Here's hoping he can develop into a quality Championship player.

On 10/01/2020 at 20:09, ncnsbcfc said:

Bit of a discussion between Graham C and myself over Walsh' contract. That hopefully people on here can clear up.

When he signed from Everton, it was for 2.5 years I believe. They doesn't seem to be an option year pit in by the club.

Now Gregor and Coventry are reporting that his loan has been extended to the summer. If that's the case, he'll be out of contract? With no apparent new one on offer.

All a bit strange by City, who normally like to cover all their bases.

I'm guessing that it has to be one of three options. Either we exercise an optional year that no-one knows about. He signs a new contract before heading back to Coventry for the 2nd half of the season. Or we sell him for a nominal fee somewhere?

I'm sure LJ does rate him, just needed some experience in L1. His free kick at QPR is almost goal of the season(possibly Josh's at Cardiff, might shade it).

Anyone have any knowledge about him?

@GrahamC was a good poster. A little grumpy at times 😶 but certainly knew his stuff and had some great contributions to this site. Do you know why he doesn't post anymore?

As for Walsh - I really hope we keep him around. I think he's got great talent and the loan to Coventry has been brilliant for him. I think on raw talent alone he's more gifted than Brownhill, the issue with him is that he's not as versatile and some teams wouldn't trust him in a midfield 2 due to his size. His distribution is quality and he has a bit more vision and creativity in his passing than the others. The loan should make him ready for first team football next year.

I also really rate Morrell and think the two of them could really compliment eachother. Both play with a bit of bite and hustle - the sort of midfielders Johnson likes. 

Assuming Brownhill leaves over the next few months; I think in Nagy, Morrell, Walsh, HNM (and perhaps Smith for a bit of versatility and experience) we'd have a nice blend of midfielders with complimentary styles. I hope we give that group a chance over the next year if we're still in this league.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I also really rate Morrell and think the two of them could really compliment eachother. Both play with a bit of bite and hustle - the sort of midfielders Johnson likes. 

Assuming Brownhill leaves over the next few months; I think in Nagy, Morrell, Walsh, HNM (and perhaps Smith for a bit of versatility and experience) we'd have a nice blend of midfielders with complimentary styles. I hope we give that group a chance over the next year if we're still in this league.

Not much height there though.  I know that’s not everything, but sometimes I do think we lack a physical presence in midfield.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not much height there though.  I know that’s not everything, but sometimes I do think we lack a physical presence in midfield.

i'm not too worried about height more worried about physicality which we lack, as well as the ability to challenge for the ball which we lack 

37 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

28 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i'm not too worried about height more worried about physicality which we lack, as well as the ability to challenge for the ball which we lack 

We lack numbers in the middle of the park over anything else. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

We lack numbers in the middle of the park over anything else. 

brownhill

nagy

massingo

Smith

rowe

Palmer

Players who can fill in if needed

Wienman

O'dowda

Watkins

Players that could be recalled if needed

Walsh

Bakinson

Morrell

If anything we've got too many players who can play in the middle

Edited by Monkeh

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

brownhill

nagy

massingo

Smith

rowe

Palmer

Players who can fill in if needed

Wienman

O'dowda

Watkins

Players that could be recalled if needed

Walsh

Bakinson

Morrell

If anything we've got too many players who can play in the middle

Haha

You can’t play all of them at the same time!  Numbers as in how many people are in the middle of the park on a match day. i.e two rather than three

He is making the most of this loan, looks to have developed physically and his decision making. Three from Walsh, Morrell, Nagy, Massengo would be a strong midfield next season. 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That is true, good point and probably why that balance isn't realistic. 

I like Smith but he'd probably be the one i'd let go to bring in a taller player if anyone. Someone with experience, physicality and guile.

In the mid 2000s there seemed to be glut of midfielders floating about with the attributes we seem to miss in midfield - Marvin Elliot, Dickson Etuhu etc. I wonder if the game has moved on but there seems to be far less of that box-to-box style.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

On 24/01/2020 at 17:29, Fordy62 said:

I will be so annoyed if we have that **** stain COD in the side and we let Walsh go on a free without even trying him. 

Bit harsh 😳

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That is true, good point and probably why that balance isn't realistic. 

I like Smith but he'd probably be the one i'd let go to bring in a taller player if anyone. Someone with experience, physicality and guile.

In the mid 2000s there seemed to be glut of midfielders floating about with the attributes we seem to miss in midfield - Marvin Elliot, Dickson Etuhu etc. I wonder if the game has moved on but there seems to be far less of that box-to-box style.

Saying that @The Dolman Pragmatist, I totally forgot about Bakinson.

Can't see it happening realistically - but I'd love to see us start next season with a midfield group of Bakinson, Walsh, Morrell, HNM and Nagy - (Smith stays as useful experience/cover and fill in at play right back if necessary).

I think that blend is pretty complimentary and sends a message to young players that they can make it in the first team if they apply themselves over time.

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Saying that @The Dolman Pragmatist, I totally forgot about Bakinson.

Can't see it happening realistically - but I'd love to see us start next season with a midfield group of Bakinson, Walsh, Morrell, HNM and Nagy - (Smith stays as useful experience/cover and fill in at play right back if necessary).

I think that blend is pretty complimentary and sends a message to young players that they can make it in the first team if they apply themselves over time.

I'd start one of walsh bakinson and morrell, with the other 2 being on the bench, (unless we get promoted) 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Think we need to give Bakinson a season in league one before we start getting too excited about him 

That’s probably right and I think we will. I like the look of him though. I had heard the issue with him was more about attitude than ability so hopefully a couple of loans iron that out.

Hard to know for sure without seeing Lincoln and Coventry games. But I reckon it might be best to go with Walsh, Morrell, Nagy and Massengo competing for 2 or 3 places.

Korey maybe as well depending on how well he does from now till the end of the season. But those other 4 should be enough.

I'm only slightly concerned about Nagy and his inconsistency. But let's see how he does. Wouldn't shock me if we sold him in the summer if he isn't settled.