Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

wendyredredrobin

Season Card Renewals - DETAILS NOW RELEASED

I'm told that these will be offered to existing card holders within the next couple of weeks.  What are your thoughts as to whether you are expecting to renew or are happy to renew?

Also what level of price hike are you expecting or willing to accept?

For the record. I will probably renew, but will think twice if the increase is more than the rate of inflation.  A few points between now and then would make the decision easier, of course. 😊

With a monthly direct debit set up and only 10 months to be paid, the extra 2 months not being paid out will be enough to cover any increase.

That works well for me.

• Like 2

Not really sure the amount paid for a season ticket and the dross served up is a good ratio. Throw into the mix shift work and the fact I miss half of the games anyway. This may be my last season at the gate. I’ll probably be better off picking my games and sitting wherever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I and the others around me have been going for our whole lives and it’s just part of who I am. Performances are different every year and you can never predict anything with this club apart from the fans will be there time after time. I don’t see how people would not renew based on performances when the last few seasons have seen us challenging at the top end and really exciting at times compared to some truly awful campaigns we’ve suffered through as fans in the past. If you aren’t willing to put up with some shite home games then I question if this club is for you. 

exactly, absolutely.....your either "city" or your not. take the rough with the smooth, the highs and the lows, that's what it's all about being a "supporter" of Bristol City, init for the long haul as Rome wasnt built in 1 day, wheres the fun in that. City never boring in mid table either outside chance of promotion or trying to stay up

• Like 2
  • Aubergine 1

I would like to see some loyalty from the club with s price freeze.

The benefits that come with the SC are basically crap so it really is about the rather dross home league games.

SC holders are beneficial to non SC holders with the offers all season eg mates rates tickets - about time SC holders got something and a price freeze would seem sensible.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

exactly, absolutely.....your either "city" or your not. take the rough with the smooth, the highs and the lows, that's what it's all about being a "supporter" of Bristol City, init for the long haul as Rome wasnt built in 1 day, wheres the fun in that. City never boring in mid table either outside chance of promotion or trying to stay up

This sort of thread alway brings out the uber fans 💤

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Meh said:

This sort of thread alway brings out the uber fans 💤

That's not me, dont get a taxi....I've been at AG for 40 plus years. 

Was being positive. 

• Rovers 1

Yea I'll be renewing, to be fair I've got to the point in life where the football is almost secondary to meeting up with my mates at the football and the people who I sit with at the game anyway. So although I'd prefer if we weren't gash at home, I will survive. 

• Like 5

What else would we do?😂

As others have pointed out, the football goes in peaks and troughs, but it’s not the reason I go.

1 hour ago, Spud55 said:

Yea I'll be renewing, to be fair I've got to the point in life where the football is almost secondary to meeting up with my mates at the football and the people who I sit with at the game anyway. So although I'd prefer if we weren't gash at home, I will survive. 

This. It’s a good excuse to meet up regularly with friends and family and have a bloody good night* in Bedminster. So I’ll be renewing on that basis alone. Losing don’t hurt too much when you’re already 3 sheets to the wind.

*insert appropriate time of day due to fixture changes

Edited by GreedyHarry
  • Haha 1

I won't be renewing in my current seat. I'm in the Landsown currently. First time being in there, haven't enjoyed it too much. Want to swap to the south stand, hopefully there might be an opening in S82. Which is where I had my season ticket when the new stand was first built, loved it there. Then they made it the family section and I had to move, haven't been able to get back there since! 

• Like 1

Hopefully they don't do what they've done the previous couple of years and put the renewal deadline before the end of March payday. Can't remember if they adjusted the dates after people complained or not. 

I know renewals are around about the same time every year, but it still catches some people out.

• Like 1

Not making out I’m a superfan but I will always support Bristol City. Doesn’t matter who’s in charge or who’s on the pitch. Supporting them is what I do. So I will sign up for another season of hope, expectation and (probably) disappointment as long as I can afford it. I get what people say about the quality of football at home but if I didn’t renew then I know I’d regret it as soon as the first match kicked off. 

• Like 2

I don't want to renew as only go to around half of home games, it's so dull. Nipper wants to renew so will do. 

Won't be renewing BT though. Now have 2 forms of panto - WWE and the footy. 

Obviously I’ll renew - it’s a no brainier for me, 

Only once in the decades that I’ve had a SC have I considered not renewing but I just couldn’t do it. The dross at the time was so dreary and dull that I wasn’t sure that I could watch another season of the shite but I stuck with and luckily the manager was sacked that season.

Can’t get my head around people saying they might not renew because of the football.

We’re currently the 27th placed team in English football.

By my reckoning we’ve had just nine seasons since WW2 where we’ve done better.

Of course I’ll renew. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Red white and red said:

Not really sure the amount paid for a season ticket and the dross served up is a good ratio. Throw into the mix shift work and the fact I miss half of the games anyway. This may be my last season at the gate. I’ll probably be better off picking my games and sitting wherever. 

Bloody hell, you cant have been a city fan for very long if you think this is dross 🤦‍♂️

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Negan said:

I won't be renewing in my current seat. I'm in the Landsown currently. First time being in there, haven't enjoyed it too much. Want to swap to the south stand, hopefully there might be an opening in S82. Which is where I had my season ticket when the new stand was first built, loved it there. Then they made it the family section and I had to move, haven't been able to get back there since! 

You need to renew mate. then before season tickets go on general sale, there is a specific date for transfers and tickets which have been not renewed in the south stand are up for grabs.

Edited by Riaz

28 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can’t get my head around people saying they might not renew because of the football.

Of course I’ll renew. 

League position has absolutely nothing to do with entertainment or enjoyment or “doing better.” You’ve just looked at a list of our ‘seasons’ (probably on Wiki) and counted the number of times we’ve finished higher than we are currently placed, and from that you’ve deduced this is our 10th ‘best’ season since WW2...

My happiest times following this club were watching the resurrection under Terry Cooper when we were in div 4 - I loved that team and what Terry did for us. I enjoyed going to home and away matches back then a zillion times more than I do now - give me those days over stuttering to 11th and 8th in the second tier, whilst playing boring stuff with zero ‘identity,’ any day of the week ....

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

I’ll renew and can’t imagine a time money permitting when I won’t.  Football isn’t like any other business. We get served dross at home more often then not under Lee,  games leave me bored and  frustrated and I also get to watch my football club change into a corporate machine where loyal supporters become nothing more than an income stream but I will still sign up for another year.  It’s like a drug and I’ll pay my money in the hope that next year at home, I’ll be entertained once every few games but knowing deep down that as long as we finish with one point more than the previous season entertainment isn’t the clubs priority.

10 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I'm told that these will be offered to existing card holders within the next couple of weeks.  What are your thoughts as to whether you are expecting to renew or are happy to renew?

Also what level of price hike are you expecting or willing to accept?

For the record. I will probably renew, but will think twice if the increase is more than the rate of inflation.  A few points between now and then would make the decision easier, of course. 😊

Translates to someone read this thread 

Personally if I didn't have a season ticket I would never go to a home game, price per game is simply unjustifiable otherwise 

17 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I’ll renew and can’t imagine a time money permitting when I won’t.  Football isn’t like any other business. We get served dross at home more often then not under Lee,  games leave me bored and  frustrated and I also get to watch my football club change into a corporate machine where loyal supporters become nothing more than an income stream but I will still sign up for another year.  It’s like a drug and I’ll pay my money in the hope that next year at home, I’ll be entertained once every few games but knowing deep down that as long as we finish with one point more than the previous season entertainment isn’t the clubs priority.

For me the match is irrelevant now, like you say home games have been dull and uninspiring for too long now. But what makes up for it is spending the day with like minded people from all walks of life that have a common interest 

• Like 2

What no one has mentioned is that we could be watching Premier League football next year for as little as £345. I wonder what they would do if we did go up and struggle bottom three in the Prem? Would they still get us to renew in March, because they would want to charge Premier League prices on the off chance we stayed up, but no one would pay that sort of money to probably watch Championship football the following season.

3 hours ago, MattWSM said:

You are "either City or not", so if you don't renew you're not a City fan?? What complete and utter nonsense. Is my old man not a City fan because he no longer goes due to poorer health, who has been a City fan for 70+ years? People who cannot afford to go - not City fans in your eyes? Fans who are just not excited and entertained and don't see it as value for money anymore?

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Of course I’ll renew. 

That is my reason for not renewing next season. League position has absolutely nothing to do with anything imo. Cardiff went up 2 seasons ago, and their football was overall dire, and if we were comfortably in the playoffs (higher league position than we are now) playing like that I still wouldn't want to renew next season.

Give me the "high pressing" season with the cup run and a mid table finish any day over the last 2 seasons of home form with our overall boring predictable football. Yes we couldn't keep that pace up, and yes we sold Reid who was a huge player that season, but how our style has changed so much with all the money spent on players is just a bit mad imo. There is just hardly any excitement at the moment in home games imo with probably the best squad we have had in my time as a City fan. I have missed 4 homes games already this season where I just couldn't be bothered to go (I am not the only one of my lot either).

Next season I will still go to some home games at full price, but I would rather just go to more away games if I can get tickets and have a good day out regardless of the result.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

What no one has mentioned is that we could be watching Premier League football next year for as little as £345. I wonder what they would do if we did go up and struggle bottom three in the Prem? Would they still get us to renew in March, because they would want to charge Premier League prices on the off chance we stayed up, but no one would pay that sort of money to probably watch Championship football the following season.

True - five less home games too

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

You need to renew mate. then before season tickets go on general sale, there is a specific date for transfers and tickets which have been not renewed in the south stand are up for grabs.

It's quite the price difference though, will I be refunded the difference? 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

League position has absolutely nothing to do with entertainment or enjoyment or “doing better.” You’ve just looked at a list of our ‘seasons’ (probably on Wiki) and counted the number of times we’ve finished higher than we are currently placed, and from that you’ve deduced this is our 10th ‘best’ season since WW2...

Well yes, factual history doesn’t lie. Of course you can argue there is an ‘enjoyment’ factor to football that is more important than league position, but factually speaking it’s a hierarchal system. It’s an indisputable fact that the team that finishes first has done better than the team that has finished .second, etc etc. So nothing I’ve said is incorrect.

I didn’t say it was the tenth most enjoyable season. That’s an entirely different argument. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Negan said:

It's quite the price difference though, will I be refunded the difference? 

Yes i'm sure you will. Ring and check when the prices come out.

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I didn’t say it was the tenth most enjoyable season. That’s an entirely different argument. 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

A slight contradiction?

It just isn't enjoyable to many fans. There will obviously be a huge percentage who renew, and also new people who will buy for the first time. But my group who go (of which there are 8 of us), only maybe 2 will renew as that is a mate who takes his boy, the other 6 won't be as it has already been mentioned between us.

Expect a run of shite results just before they give us the "exciting offer" to renew for considerably more money.

City always seem to badly time their renewal date and accidentally ask us for money and loyalty straight after a terrible result.

They then give you f- all time to reserve your seat and sit on your money for months before sending out the new ticket a few days before the season begins.

Oh, and sort the card fold quality out Bristol Sport, the current one is so cheaply printed that the colour has largely scratched off mine already.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wood_red said:

A slight contradiction?

It just isn't enjoyable to many fans. There will obviously be a huge percentage who renew, and also new people who will buy for the first time. But my group who go (of which there are 8 of us), only maybe 2 will renew as that is a mate who takes his boy, the other 6 won't be as it has already been mentioned between us.

I'm in a similar position,

Theres 4 of us who regularly go.

3 season card holders - 2 of us 100% renewing we like the buzz and the atmosphere of seeing your friends and supporting your team regardless of the results however  frustrating it is.

The third cant justify the style of football/results and the hassle of swapping shifts etc. So will not be renewing but instead be getting membership and cherry picking his games to suit.

4th has a half season card and will also renew. 

For the first time I can remember this will not be an automatic decision

I too often come home fed up and feeling short changed by the quality of entertainment on offer

A major drop in season ticket renewals will be the only way to show that fans want to be entertained and are fed up with Elliott Johnson the untouchable

24 minutes ago, wood_red said:

A slight contradiction?

Not really. It’s football not science. Some times the ‘product’ will be better than others. That’s the nature of live sport. You’re not buying something tangible with quality control  

With all due respect, if the primary reason you go to football is to enjoy the ‘spectacle’ every single time you go, then a historically bang average English league club isn’t the one to support!

I think this debate highlights that for some it’s a choice based on the outcome and for some it’s just an ’in the blood’ / ‘it’s what I do’ type thing. I definitely come into the latter category. I’d be there if we were in the conference and losing every week. Not saying that to be ‘super fan’ at all, I do appreciate that everyone has different motivations and reasons they go to football. 

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

With all due respect, if the primary reason you go to football is to enjoy the ‘spectacle’ every single time you go, then a historically bang average English league club isn’t the one to support!

No I certainly don't. Do I expect us to go out and beat better teams with free flowing fast football? Certainly not. Do I expect us to go out and at least "have a right go" at teams that are generally poor with the best squad we have had since I have been watching us - then yes I do. It seems (bar a handful of games) in the last couple of years we all know what to expect, which is pretty boring predictable non exciting football when we are at home - whether that is against Leeds or if it's Wigan. I, and many others find it overall pretty boring and not enjoyable as it currently is at home, and just do not look forward to going down like I have done in previous years. 

You may find that a great day out and enjoyable, but as it is I don't and am gradually falling out of love with the home games. I go away a fair bit and really enjoy that, so as long as I can get a ticket and afford some away days next season, I will spend my money doing that, along with just a few home games.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wood_red said:

No I certainly don't. Do I expect us to go out and beat better teams with free flowing fast football? Certainly not. Do I expect us to go out and at least "have a right go" at teams that are generally poor with the best squad we have had since I have been watching us - then yes I do. It seems (bar a handful of games) in the last couple of years we all know what to expect, which is pretty boring predictable non exciting football when we are at home - whether that is against Leeds or if it's Wigan. I, and many others find it overall pretty boring and not enjoyable as it currently is at home, and just do not look forward to going down like I have done in previous years. 

You may find that a great day out and enjoyable, but as it is I don't and am gradually falling out of love with the home games. I go away a fair bit and really enjoy that, so as long as I can get a ticket and afford some away days next season, I will spend my money doing that, along with just a few home games.

I get it, I really do. There’s a lot to dislike about modern football. But we’re nowhere near as bad as people make out as evidenced by our league position. 

It’s been done to death but personally I’d much rather see us play ‘bad’ football and go up than fantastic exciting football and not. Of course we all want both, but for me effective football is better than pretty football (in general, not applying this to us specifically)

Edited by BRISTOL86

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Doubtful. Dull and unentertaining home form again for second year.

I walk away dissatisfied with what I see after almost every home game this season. So will I renew? Of course I will. Never in doubt.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m expecting an increase in price for adults but I’m preparing for my piss to be boiled if they remove the free shirt from the kid’s ticket deal because of the new contract with Hummel. JL said that Hummel “share our values” but the proof of that will very much be in the pudding. 

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

I walk away dissatisfied with what I see after almost every home game this season. So will I renew? Of course I will. Never in doubt.

If only we could play our away games at home. We’d be much more exciting to watch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Expect a run of shite results just before they give us the "exciting offer" to renew for considerably more money.

City always seem to badly time their renewal date and accidentally ask us for money and loyalty straight after a terrible result.

They then give you f- all time to reserve your seat and sit on your money for months before sending out the new ticket a few days before the season begins.

Oh, and sort the card fold quality out Bristol Sport, the current one is so cheaply printed that the colour has largely scratched off mine already.

Glad you mentioned this. I thought maybe this happened because mine may have got wet. Must be poor quality this season. Ive got ticket sleeves from years back that are still in good nick.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

This is a surprisingly positive thread.

Unlike recent seasons most seem to say they will renew and I don't think I read one post with the phrase "not with LJ in charge"

100% true, there is a guy I know who have supported City over 50 years, he renewed his season ticket last summer as always, but won't come to any games until LJ is gone !

There are still people out there keeping away because of him

36 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I get it, I really do. There’s a lot to dislike about modern football. But we’re nowhere near as bad as people make out as evidenced by our league position. 

I don't think you do really get it, you have gone back to the league position as evidence to how "we are nowhere near as bad as people make out".

Cardiff went up a couple of season ago with effective football. It was shocking to watch and just not entertaining at all, one game I watched the game plan was hoof the ball high to the penalty spot - and no we are not that bad to watch. We have a side/squad of players that has so much potential, but they all just seem to be shackled and not allowed to play. We did hear about coaching themselves on the pitch though, so maybe this weekend we will see a difference.

I will leave it there as it's just going around in circles.