Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

redordead1

Pre-match Entertainment/City legends

37 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Was that ex player earlier in the thread really him? 

If so, how fitting that Maenpaa played yesterday; there’s someone who deals with losing his place in the side with dignity, grace and earns respect from everyone. In stark contrast to some! 

Flapper certainly will have been approaching the 300 appearance mark mentioned. I'm less critical of the guy as a keeper than many here would be, but he's hardly conducted himself with grace since his exit from AG.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s true - we just don’t seem to get that side of things, PR and comms I suppose, right. Including yesterday’s farce - the following all seem to get on fans nerves.

Social media behaviour by the club

7 nation army

Downsy

Anniversary kit

Tim Shires/Adam B being replaced by people who don’t necessarily support or understand the club.

There’s more than this too. They may all seem like small things in isolation, but we get it wrong so often. There’s a link with all of them in that they’re all connected to whatever our PR/comms strategy is. 

It only feels in recent years that we’ve got these things wrong. Why is this?

As a dinosaur I’m probably not the best to judge - I do some social media browsing but don’t post or use it as much as many and I understand how massively important it has become (The use of social media and general PR) more and more so with each passing year

We seem to have done some good things (The Goal gifs were good - even for the dinosaurs) , the transfer unveiling’s and some of the Club clips posted are interesting , but there is a lot of , what I find cringeworthy stuff , but I don’t know whether that’s just Anne age thing - so it’s interesting to read views of the different younger age bands)

However

Yesterdays (Shamblrs) was nothing to do with anything as complex as Social Media Strategy’s 

It was a simple (Though logistically work heavy) to strange a simple but fitting presentation of the Legends who were clearly proud enough to attend

So so sad 

I appreciate for some younger fans it won’t be a big deal , but for the vast majority it almost certainly was 

I appreciate the world of Mega Warm up sessions , Pitch preparation and Sky have become the priorities)

but for me , actually a sad bit of Club / Fan moments

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As a dinosaur I’m probably not the best to judge - I do some social media browsing but don’t post or use it as much as many and I understand how massively important it has become (The use of social media and general PR) more and more so with each passing year

We seem to have done some good things (The Goal gifs were good - even for the dinosaurs) , the transfer unveiling’s and some of the Club clips posted are interesting , but there is a lot of , what I find cringeworthy stuff , but I don’t know whether that’s just Anne age thing - so it’s interesting to read views of the different younger age bands)

However

Yesterdays (Shamblrs) was nothing to do with anything as complex as Social Media Strategy’s 

It was a simple (Though logistically work heavy) to strange a simple but fitting presentation of the Legends who were clearly proud enough to attend

So so sad 

I appreciate for some younger fans it won’t be a big deal , but for the vast majority it almost certainly was 

I appreciate the world of Mega Warm up sessions , Pitch preparation and Sky have become the priorities)

but for me , actually a sad bit of Club / Fan moments

Agreed. It’s all branches of the same tree for me, someone or a group of people at the club are making decisions that are responsible for all these cock ups and general misunderstanding of the fan base. Yesterday was ridiculously poor, such a shame. I wonder what the guests thought?

RE social media specifically - agreed on the goal gifs, that was brilliant. Started by the Flyers and capitalised on by Adam Baker. I do like the signing unveilings the new team do, it’s the silly jokes (which to their credit they’ve cut down) which people didn’t like.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. It’s all branches of the same tree for me, someone or a group of people at the club are making decisions that are responsible for all these cock ups and general misunderstanding of the fan base. Yesterday was ridiculously poor, such a shame. I wonder what the guests thought?

RE social media specifically - agreed on the goal gifs, that was brilliant. Started by the Flyers and capitalised on by Adam Baker. I do like the signing unveilings the new team do, it’s the silly jokes (which to their credit they’ve cut down) which people didn’t like.

Let’s be honest , if they were really serious about it they could have done an afternoon at the end of the season 

Make sure they invite all the greats and get as many (of proper greats )as they can and wine n dine em , maybe have a short legends game for those able and do a proper presentation of them during the afternoon

Make it free for fans or a nominal £5 -

fan village , profit in catering and beers 

‘ 125 day’ 

I’d like to think enough would go down , in the sun and make it worthy 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 6

As others have stated it was very disappointing yesterday.

It felt exactly like any other normal game, even when we got to our seats in the dolman at 12:15 I couldn’t hear anything or see any of the players. 

Even though I wasn’t born to watch City in the 80s, id of still liked to appreciate the former players. 
Luckily City did a thing on Social Media, interview with Tony Thorpe otherwise I wouldn’t of even known he was there. 

Can’t see how they can rectify this balls up tbh

2 minutes ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

As others have stated it was very disappointing yesterday.

It felt exactly like any other normal game, even when we got to our seats in the dolman at 12:15 I couldn’t hear anything or see any of the players. 

Even though I wasn’t born to watch City in the 80s, id of still liked to appreciate the former players. 
Luckily City did a thing on Social Media, interview with Tony Thorpe otherwise I wouldn’t of even known he was there. 

Can’t see how they can rectify this balls up tbh

I agree , but aside from the shambles yesterday I would like to see them to have a Guest Of the day (Ex Great) And give them an individual 5 min or so slot before the game 

Too many to ever get through , but ....we could at least start 

• Like 2

Sat in lower Lansdown at the Atyeo end and heard the announcement about the ex players, started clapping, and was looking at the tunnel for a few minutes before I realised they had gathered near the South stand.  Couldn't make out who was who from my seat. What a cock up. When they said there was no half time entertainment yesterday I thought it was because the players were going to walk round the pitch or at least go to the centre circle. There would have been plenty of time for that with no half time scores to read out either. Total shambles whoever organised that but I guess we will never know who was responsible for getting it so wrong. City, some times you make me squirm with embarrassment.

• Like 11

@JerrySLO - Do you think the club would be open to a end of season event to make up for the shambles that was yesterday?

Maybe the supporters club and other fans could help organise if it’s beyond the team at City or Bristol Sport to manage.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Always had the impression that anything pre Lansdown era is held in poor regard.

There’s been a total lack of respect shown to past servants of this club,, most notably with the Ashton Gate 8.

Tells you everything you need to know when they renamed the Williams Stand to that of his own name. There’s a huge ego there and the poor appreciation of our history reflects that. 

In the expectation that they’d do the bare minimum that’s normally involved in these anniversaries of welcoming the old players on to the pitch, I told my 8yr old on the way to our seats that I’d explain who each and every player was and that there’d be players there who I grew up watching when I was his age. I hoped to give him a sense of the history of our club and how each generation has their own heroes etc..

Instead we were treated to a vague bunch of unidentifiable people huddled together in the corner of the ground with no welcome, no introduction, no story of what they had all achieved, nothing...

it was a total embarrassment and the club should be ashamed of how they treated the former players and the fans yesterday. 

You're impression is absolutely correct, anything pre Lansdown's tenure is ignored, or buried in the past.  

I would suggest that consequently the Owners policy has sadly built a club fan base devoid of celebrating its history. It is only when fans stand up and organise it themselves that anything significant happens. i.e. Spirit of 76. Louis Carey testimonial. Gerry Gow's Testimonial and Dinner etc.

We have not had significant success granted, but we have supported the club, some of us a lifetime and deserve a club ownership that appreciates that fact. It seems that the new fans drawn in by the stadium facilities are now the focus and the old devotees, former players and lifelong fans alike are dispensable. 

• Like 3
  • Rovers 1

I was only watching on Sky yesterday,  they only showed a group of people huddled by the pitch, not just ex players but much younger people, guessing it's children etc looking like they had no clue what was going on,  it's a shame that such an opportunity was missed by the club to honour our past, especially for me the 1st division teams and also the pheonix team of the 1982 onwards, how Terry Cooper has not been honoured by the club is a mystery in my eyes, i guess i would be seen as an old nostalgic has been, but atill a shame an opportunity has been missed for me.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I was only watching on Sky yesterday,  they only showed a group of people huddled by the pitch, not just ex players but much younger people, guessing it's children etc looking like they had no clue what was going on,  it's a shame that such an opportunity was missed by the club to honour our past, especially for me the 1st division teams and also the pheonix team of the 1982 onwards, how Terry Cooper has not been honoured by the club is a mystery in my eyes, i guess i would be seen as an old nostalgic has been, but atill a shame an opportunity has been missed for me.

For the ones that couldn’t make it - You actually saw more than we did at the game !

And The families were probably the families of Gerry Gow and Billy Wedlock who were meant to be present 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

For the ones that couldn’t make it - You actually saw more than we did at the game !

And The families were probably the families of Gerry Gow and Billy Wedlock who were meant to be present 

Said on the screen John Atyeos family were there too. 

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2020 at 16:54, Rocky said:

This is the same player who referred to us as and I quote "my previous club" when interviewed about the Johnsons paint trophy semi final while playing for R****rs.

After being luckily plucked from Paulton Rovers to go on and earn a decent living for 10 years I would suggest it is him that is the **** not City

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Said on the screen John Atyeos family were there too. 

Dread to think how they all felt.

What an insult and hope they’ve received apologies from the club as surely there was some kind of cock up and the lack of any presentation, acknowledgement etc.. wasn’t planned?

3 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

You're impression is absolutely correct, anything pre Lansdown's tenure is ignored, or buried in the past.  

I

Sort of Pol Pot year zero ?

I thought of another thing. Mickey Bells name when it appeared on the screen. . . Was minus the “e” from Mickey. They’d put Micky. 

:gaah:

Thought the whole thing was an absolute mess, and that’s before we consider the fact that we formally celebrated our centenary in 1997!

Still, if it pissed off Steve Phillips then someone deserves some credit! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thought the whole thing was an absolute mess, and that’s before we consider the fact that we formally celebrated our centenary in 1997!

Still, if it pissed off Steve Phillips then someone deserves some credit! 

Could you imagine something like Saturday being done at Liverpool or United? No, of course not. The club need to address it really, I haven't seen one bit of good feedback about it at all. Their M.O for this sort of thing is to bury their heads in the sand so I don't hold out much hope. It was so tinpot and badly done.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, redordead1 said:

@JerrySLO - Do you think the club would be open to a end of season event to make up for the shambles that was yesterday?

Maybe the supporters club and other fans could help organise if it’s beyond the team at City or Bristol Sport to manage.

I reckon the hardest thing about this would be to convince the ex players and supporters that the club wouldn't balls it up again 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Could you imagine something like Saturday being done at Liverpool or United? No, of course not. The club need to address it really, I haven't seen one bit of good feedback about it at all. Their M.O for this sort of thing is to bury their heads in the sand so I don't hold out much hope. It was so tinpot and badly done.

Which is exactly what has happened since 

The silence is deafening 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Glad you mentioned this as I thought I was going mad. I've still got the centenary shirt (1897 - 1997). What's changed?

20200309_163728.jpg

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I reckon the hardest thing about this would be to convince the ex players and supporters that the club wouldn't balls it up again 

The silence is deafening 

Does @JerrySLO visit or post on here?

He's a great guy and sure he'd help get take this suggestion to the club. 

2 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

Glad you mentioned this as I thought I was going mad. I've still got the centenary shirt (1897 - 1997). What's changed?

20200309_163728.jpg

Bristol City were formed in 1897, but we started life in 1894 as Bristol South End. The club decided to honour this and changed the formation date to 1894. This date now shows on the new badge, so they made a point of this when announcing the new badge.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ashton Yate said:

Bristol City were formed in 1897, but we started life in 1894 as Bristol South End. The club decided to honour this and changed the formation date to 1894. This date now shows on the new badge, so they made a point of this when announcing the new badge.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2020 at 16:13, marmite said:

Sat in lower Lansdown at the Atyeo end and heard the announcement about the ex players, started clapping, and was looking at the tunnel for a few minutes before I realised they had gathered near the South stand.  Couldn't make out who was who from my seat. What a cock up. When they said there was no half time entertainment yesterday I thought it was because the players were going to walk round the pitch or at least go to the centre circle. There would have been plenty of time for that with no half time scores to read out either. Total shambles whoever organised that but I guess we will never know who was responsible for getting it so wrong. City, some times you make me squirm with embarrassment.

I barely knew it was going on, couldn't see anyone didn't know where they were, only thing my dad said was he saw TInman on the screen couldnt really hear him and had no awareness of anyone else there.

I think sporting clubs in the south-west are trying to out do each other in disrespecting people.

It seems pretty close-run thing this weekend as to who has made the biggest PR disaster/exhibited the greatest level of insensitivity.

0ver 2,000 people lost their jobs overnight at Flybe last week. Flybe has sponsored Exeter Chiefs since around 2012. A few, now redundant, Flybe staff were awarded tickets by their former employer for the Chief’s home game against Bath. Guess what? They were turned away at the turnstiles as the Club wouldn’t accept their complementary tickets (the ex-Flybe staff having paid car parking/travel costs to get there)!

Unbelievable crassness and insensitivity. I’ve  occasionally been to Sandy Park. Never again. 

If the Bears want to do a PR job and invite ex-Flybe staff to The Gate - the door is open!

Edited by RedRock
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been thinking since Saturday how we should celebrate our past heroes properly. How about having a Hall of Fame day each season. One game is chosen as the Hall of Fame day where existing Hall of Fame players/families are invited along.  New inductees could be elected to the Hall of Fame on that day.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Been thinking since Saturday how we should celebrate our past heroes properly. How about having a Hall of Fame day each season. One game is chosen as the Hall of Fame day where existing Hall of Fame players/families are invited along.  New inductees could be elected to the Hall of Fame on that day.

Great idea and would allow us to almost start from scratch and go some way to repairing the damage done in recent years to past player relationships etc...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phantom said:

The silence is deafening 

Every time the club mess up they bury their heads in the sand and press on.

We know they're aware of fan feedback, I don't think it's a coincidence that they've toned down the silliness on social media and (eventually) binned off 7 nation army after fairly strong negative feedback on here and Twitter. 

Unfortunately we all know they will wait for it to blow over and go back to posting "Monday Motivation" with a picture of the players training or something on Twitter. What they should do, and this would reflect really well, is acknowledge that they got it wrong and do something to make it right.

I know it's not to do with the playing side, but you'd expect a club with serious aspirations of being in the Prem to get this sort of thing right. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

The SC&T have had a hall of fame up and running for a few years now. :)

https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/heritage/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've watched City since 1981, and they have always been clumsy and amateurish with this sort of thing. It's like it is hard wired into the club.

• Like 2

Not a personal attack on Jerry as I appreciate his role etc within the club, but I find the below hard to swallow.

I was really looking forward to seeing a few old faces on the day and as requested by the club was sat in my seat in the Lansdown Stand promptly.

I can't believe it was not logistically possible to introduce each player. Did we introduce any player?

We have seen it done by many many teams before when we have been visiting and they manage to get large number of players introduced

I have no idea why SKY is relevant, in an interview with the local rag is was confirmed SKY did not impact on the proceedings

As for the feedback, well put it this way, there were a large number of those players in a well known local pub after the game and they were certainly pissed off with the way the club had treated them that afternoon.

The fact that our SLO (on OTIB) and kit man (on Twiter) were appealing for players details so late before the event rang alarm bells with me.

As for the many players that were not invited to the game that gave many years to our club, they are equally pissed off as those that made the commitment to attend

image.thumb.png.ebb7c0d621a8afa78b3329b0addc68f2.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Not a personal attack on Jerry as I appreciate his role etc within the club, but I find the below hard to swallow.

I was really looking forward to seeing a few old faces on the day and as requested by the club was sat in my seat in the Lansdown Stand promptly.

I can't believe it was not logistically possible to introduce each player. Did we introduce any player?

We have seen it done by many many teams before when we have been visiting and they manage to get large number of players introduced

I have no idea why SKY is relevant, in an interview with the local rag is was confirmed SKY did not impact on the proceedings

As for the feedback, well put it this way, there were a large number of those players in a well known local pub after the game and they were certainly pissed off with the way the club had treated them that afternoon.

The fact that our SLO (on OTIB) and kit man (on Twiter) were appealing for players details so late before the event rang alarm bells with me.

As for the many players that were not invited to the game that gave many years to our club, they are equally pissed off as those that made the commitment to attend

image.thumb.png.ebb7c0d621a8afa78b3329b0addc68f2.png

I second that! I don't care what Sky think TBH!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Dollymarie that page reads like the last inductees were in 2014, is that correct?

No there were some more entered last season I’m pretty sure. And Again a couple of years before that. Next time I’m at the ground I’ll take a pic of the honours board in the SC&T bar. 

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2020 at 16:26, oldstandrobin said:

One of the worst presentations I have ever seen. Luckily I had Ray Cashley sat in front of me and talked about that famous goal v Hull.  If this is how we celebrate our 125 years, glad I wont be here for the 200 !!! Bloody amatuerish  and players, managers should have been introduced to the supporters so we could have given them the appreciation they deserved

Il bet the old players were embarrassed by it and had to pay for their own drinks with no season ticket reduction 😄😄

19 hours ago, Ashton Yate said:

As far as most people were concerned, it always was 1894.

The club came out with the 1897 nonsense, when they realises that the 1994 centenary had been forgotten. Absolute prize bellends.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I've watched City since 1981, and they have always been clumsy and amateurish with this sort of thing. It's like it is hard wired into the club.

And there it is... we've found it... there's our identity!  ;) 

(So Prowed innit?)

Edited by WhistleHappy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I wasn't at the game due to work commitments so can't comment on what happened other than the little bits that came across on Sky. But was nice to hear Liquidator in the background and the fanfare make a return followed by 'One for the Bristol City'.

@DownsyBCFC said on Twitter it was reverted back to the old school for the 125 anniversary so no idea if it was a one off or it will remain for the rest of the season. But either way, was nice to hear it and it seemed to go down well.

Even the anniversary shirt which has overall gone down like a lead balloon actually looked alright on the TV. 

The strangest thing I've actually thought about the whole thing is the choice of date/game to celebrate the 125th Anniversary. I'd have thought it would have been done as a pre-season game or first game of the season sort of event.... rather than a random game in March. Especially as this is the business end of the season so all efforts should be focused on the first team and the results.

Also the whole thing just seemed to come out of the blue. So for that reason, perhaps the people tasked with planning it should be given a bit of slack as they probably had about as much notice as the fans! Not making excuses for anyone but just saying how I see it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tim S said:

I wasn't at the game due to work commitments so can't comment on what happened other than the little bits that came across on Sky. But was nice to hear Liquidator in the background and the fanfare make a return followed by 'One for the Bristol City'.

@DownsyBCFC said on Twitter it was reverted back to the old school for the 125 anniversary so no idea if it was a one off or it will remain for the rest of the season. But either way, was nice to hear it and it seemed to go down well.

Even the anniversary shirt which has overall gone down like a lead balloon actually looked alright on the TV. 

The strangest thing I've actually thought about the whole thing is the choice of date/game to celebrate the 125th Anniversary. I'd have thought it would have been done as a pre-season game or first game of the season sort of event.... rather than a random game in March. Especially as this is the business end of the season so all efforts should be focused on the first team and the results.

Also the whole thing just seemed to come out of the blue. So for that reason, perhaps the people tasked with planning it should be given a bit of slack as they probably had about as much notice as the fans! Not making excuses for anyone but just saying how I see it.

Agree 100% about the music, but whichever angle you look at it Tim, overall the whole thing was generally a shambles and particularly offensive to those of us "of mature years" who have actually watched the greats over the last few decades. But tbh I'm not sure what else we would've expected from Bristol Sport....

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Tim S said:

Also the whole thing just seemed to come out of the blue. So for that reason, perhaps the people tasked with planning it should be given a bit of slack as they probably had about as much notice as the fans! 

The reason for the kit looking better on TV was the fact the kids just blurred into a red shirt and wasn't possible to see the mismatched shirts put together 

I agree about how it all felt really rushed, I'm still puzzled about how the change of badge in the summer suddenly meant after over 100 years our formation date suddenly changed 

Planning for this game should have started before the season started with contacting ex players etc, the warning signs were there when Jerry was asking for contacts on here and Scott was tweeting for details 

It's amazing how far as a club we've progressed and rightly talked about as being top flight ready, but sadly we're still non league level in many many things we do

• Like 5

On 09/03/2020 at 19:08, Ashton Yate said:

Thank god - I’ve always been too scared to ask 

Let's not forget the day we unveiled the John Atyeo statue his goals and appearances suddenly changed 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Is there a list anywhere of who actually was on the pitch? 

Surely clayton fortune wasnt !

He was interviewed on the clubs Instagram account so was 100% there