Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Talksport Paul Cheesley


Recommended Posts

Hawksbee and Jacobs want to get in contact with him to chat on the show later in the week apparently. I just caught the tell end of it, they mentioned his knee injury and some shoot article he did back in the day.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the BT rerun of the Arsenal game yesterday.He looked some player.I was only 6 when it happened but a lot of older city fans I know reckon he would have gone onto play for England.

Such a shame his injury robbed him and us the chance to see what he could have achieved.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

I watched the BT rerun of the Arsenal game yesterday.He looked some player.I was only 6 when it happened but a lot of older city fans I know reckon he would have gone onto play for England.

Such a shame his injury robbed him and us the chance to see what he could have achieved.

Undoubtedly.

Such a shame for the lad - these days, he'd probably be back playing after a few months.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

I was only 6 when it happened but a lot of older city fans I know reckon he would have gone onto play for England.

Turned down an U23 Cap to play for City in the promotion run in. I think he would have been a cert for a full cap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

I watched the BT rerun of the Arsenal game yesterday.He looked some player.I was only 6 when it happened but a lot of older city fans I know reckon he would have gone onto play for England.

Such a shame his injury robbed him and us the chance to see what he could have achieved.

 

27 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Undoubtedly.

Such a shame for the lad - these days, he'd probably be back playing after a few months.

City’s treatment of his injury was scandalous. Nobody seemed to know what the problem was with his knee, so he was just told to spend weeks on his own running up and down the Dolman to try and strengthen the knee. Although he injured his knee in August the first X-Ray wasn’t until October. Then the specialist told him that running up and down the stands had made the injury worse. To compound matters he was valued at £250k (a lot in those days) but the club had only insured him for £50k which meant he only received £10k

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

In those days Norwich had a scouting network based in and around Bristol.

A bit like Southampton these days.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

In those days Norwich had a scouting network based in and around Bristol.

A bit like Southampton these days.

While we had a scouting network based in and around Glasgow and Edinburgh. Presumably, Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts were watching lads kicking a ball about in Norfolk....

  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

Yes i played for  Clevedon Town in those days, and a number of my team mates went up to Norwich for trials. The most successful  was Ian Davies, who went on to play for Newcastle and Man City.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Being born in 74 unfortunately I didn't get the chance to see him live. I have meet him several times and he is a total gentleman. He could of been the best in his generation so I'm told. Mariner was no mug.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, myol'man said:

@Dollymarie

Could Scott track Cheese down?

 

He was a hospitality host when I was in there last year, so the club must have his contact details.

Link to post
Share on other sites

M49!Yes he does do hospitality sometimes. I've also seen him Going into the ground /turnstiles with all the other fans. 

I watched him from the time he made his debut to his injury v Stoke/Shilton and his unsuccessful comeback attempt v Birmingham.

Hugely talented player, strong, fast, hard shot, brilliant in the air, and didn't allow himself to be bullied or intimidated by some brutal monster centre halves who would today be red carded within 10 minutes of every ko........and only 22/23 when he had to quit so huge potential.

As stated in the thread his treatment was badly handled by the club and each day he ran up and down the Dolman steps in excruciating agony. - and did it because he was told that was the best "rehab" and all he wanted was to pull on the red shirt again - it was actually making his injury worse each day......sports science was non existent then and he'd probably have got the same bad treatment wherever he played.

A £50M player in today's game.  To think in 1976 we had so much talent that came through the youth/reserve team : Cheesley Merrick Gow Ritchie Whitehead Collier Fear etc and now despite the millions spent on the academy and the £70M spent by LJ on 50+ players we have never produced any players as talented!

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

 

City’s treatment of his injury was scandalous. Nobody seemed to know what the problem was with his knee, so he was just told to spend weeks on his own running up and down the Dolman to try and strengthen the knee. Although he injured his knee in August the first X-Ray wasn’t until October. Then the specialist told him that running up and down the stands had made the injury worse. To compound matters he was valued at £250k (a lot in those days) but the club had only insured him for £50k which meant he only received £10k

You're right P, it was scandalous. And to make matters worse, the EP ran a back page headline - attributed to Alan Dicks - in Autumn 76, that ran something like, "Cheesley will have to go through the pain barrier for first-team return." 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Yes i played for  Clevedon Town in those days, and a number of my team mates went up to Norwich for trials. The most successful  was Ian Davies, who went on to play for Newcastle and Man City.

Norwich offered trials to a number of lads I knew and signed one, Andy Rollings from Portishead, who in addition to Norwich, went on to play for Brighton in the old First Division.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, pongo88 said:

 

City’s treatment of his injury was scandalous. Nobody seemed to know what the problem was with his knee, so he was just told to spend weeks on his own running up and down the Dolman to try and strengthen the knee. Although he injured his knee in August the first X-Ray wasn’t until October. Then the specialist told him that running up and down the stands had made the injury worse. To compound matters he was valued at £250k (a lot in those days) but the club had only insured him for £50k which meant he only received £10k

I was in hospitality for the West Brom game last season and was fortunate to be sat next to Cheese for the meal and HT. This is pretty much word for word what he told us.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Norwich offered trials to a number of lads I knew and signed one, Andy Rollings from Portishead, who in addition to Norwich, went on to play for Brighton in the old First Division.

Pro footballers tend to move to, rather than emerge from Portishead. Can't be many that make it from there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

You're right P, it was scandalous. And to make matters worse, the EP ran a back page headline - attributed to Alan Dicks - in Autumn 76, that ran something like, "Cheesley will have to go through the pain barrier for first-team return." 

Dicksy could've updated everyone via his matchday programme notes as to the bungled (if that's what it was) rehabilitation of Cheese, but he was too busy telling folk that were there at home games buying the programme and paying to get in, that not enough people were there buying the programme and paying to get in. And also, asking fans to be more patient/understanding, less vulgar/foul-mouthed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Pro footballers tend to move to, rather than emerge from Portishead. Can't be many that make it from there?

That’s true for sure! As Paul Cheesley was from Pill and went to school in Portishead, we’ll claim him as well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 17:31, alexukhc said:

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

It wasn't obvious to me, but if you say so! 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes they took the two lads from Gordano school his mate was a lad called Andy Rollings .

They had another lad from Cotham as well just before that time, can't remember his name.

But they were very active in Bristol at that time - while City were very active in Scotland.

Having said that, there were four or five lads from the Bristol Schools team that signed for City (one being Gary Collier).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...