IGNORED

Scottish football

22A

OK, a few weeks ago the Highland and Lowland leagues were  halted and as they were so far ahead, Brora were announced as Highland Champions. Under normal circumstances, they would play the winners of the Lowland League H&A, with the winner of that game then playing the bottom team in League 2 H&A for the chance of promotion to that league.

The Scottish League have now announced a proposal that requires 75% of the clubs voting in it's favour. Needless to say, those who would be relegated or miss out on promotion are not expected to vote in favour of the proposal. 

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-clubs-to-vote-on-curtailment-of-ladbrokes-s 

9 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Is shit

It’s really not though - how much of it have you seen ‘live’ ? I’ve been going up there regularly since the 80s - I’ve seen some stupendous players - lots of whom have gone on to play in World Cup Finals tournaments and for huge clubs .... very lazy to say ‘is shit’ ...

18 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Is shit

English teams v Scottish ones in Europe would be some sort of guide I suppose.

English teams have run away with it in the past decade but up until then, Scottish teams had a slight edge.

Currently it is English wins 19, Draws 19, Scottish wins 13.

Scotland's population is a tenth of Englands and I think it is fair to say that the difference in the amount of money between the two nations is astronomical.

If it was  handicap race, I think Scotland's jockey would be smoking a cigar with a 20 length lead :)

It's getting more acrimonious up there now.

Dundee cast their vote which would be the deciding one as all others had voted and the last vote would tip the balance one way or the other.

Then Dundee withdrew their vote for further consideration.  Rangers in particular are claiming a stitch up is being arranged and other clubs are not at all happy. They want the SFA investigated etc.

Another suggestion has now been put forward. Write this season off. No relegation, just promotion and for next season have just three divisions, but of fourteen clubs each. Then revert to the four divisions.

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

It's getting more acrimonious up there now.

Dundee cast their vote which would be the deciding one as all others had voted and the last vote would tip the balance one way or the other.

Then Dundee withdrew their vote for further consideration.  Rangers in particular are claiming a stitch up is being arranged and other clubs are not at all happy. They want the SFA investigated etc.

Another suggestion has now been put forward. Write this season off. No relegation, just promotion and for next season have just three divisions, but of fourteen clubs each. Then revert to the four divisions.

Actually I quite like that, a positive move, relegated teams are happy as they don’t go down, promoted teams are happy as they still get promoted!

I'm actually a part-shareholder in Stenhousmuir! A few of us went up there in November to watch them, their ex club secretary was originally from Bristol as we found out when we got in touch with them in advance. When we arrived at the ground they were great, let us run out the tunnel & have a bit of a kickabout on the pitch. Very friendly & "old school" feel to it. We then partook of several refreshments in the "Wee Bar", watching the game & departing Larbert back to Glasgow for a night on the tiles. 

A great weekend. 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm actually a part-shareholder in Stenhousmuir! 

A few years back one of the sports shops in Peterborough was run by a Stenhousemuir fan. He has himself registered as the Peterborough Branch of the Stenhousemuir Supporters Club. And yes; you could buy Stenhousemuir shirts in the shop.

27 minutes ago, 22A said:

A few years back one of the sports shops in Peterborough was run by a Stenhousemuir fan. He has himself registered as the Peterborough Branch of the Stenhousemuir Supporters Club. And yes; you could buy Stenhousemuir shirts in the shop.

I think our shares are registered as Bristol & Bath Friends of the Warriors 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This is SOOOO unfair, if Partick had won their game in hand they’d have been out of the relegation zone with 8 games left, pathetic decision ....

Don't blame you mate, and it's hard to feel overly ecstatic when a club has been ****** over the the extent of Partick. I'd be furious in your shoes.

17 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Don't blame you mate, and it's hard to feel overly ecstatic when a club has been ****** over the the extent of Partick. I'd be furious in your shoes.

Yep and funny why Brechin hasn’t been relegated too? They are currently bottom of Div 2 - how is that fair?! This ain’t over, we’ll fight it! 

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I have an ex work mate in London who is a huge Partick fan from Glasgow (he also follows Scotland home and away so is very committed to his football) so I'd been following the situation and they have absolutely been shafted. It makes a mockery of the "points per game" when they’ve played less games, were in better form, and the team above them still has to play the runaway league leaders. Not to mention that other team - Queen of the South - was hopeless last season too and is overdue relegation.

Shouldn't forget Falkirk either below them in League One. One point off top, +20 better goal difference, and still due a home game against the leaders Raith, who instead will be promoted (nothing against Raith, decent little club). It again proves points per game isn't a fair way to end a season, I know this is unprecedented territory but someone needs to figure out some weighted projection like Duckworth Lewis in cricket or some clubs will be extraordinarily harshly treated - I'm sure the bookies didn't call it this way.

Having taken an interest in the Scottish lower leagues, the other story for me is how many of them voted for this because frankly they are all in danger of going out of business - they just need to end their season obligations (wages, operating cost), and collect whatever league position prize money would be due to keep them alive for an extended summer. I find it sad that football clubs compete tooth and nail for months but need to be this pragmatic and realistic about survival that ending the season comes first.

Like @CyderInACan I am also a nominal shareholder in a club - Montrose - a fantastic little community club in an amazing part of the world. They've had a fairytale few seasons after being pretty much THE definition of basement for decades. I got to a game there over Easter weekend last season en route to Sheff Wed (A) and booked the same for the day before Forest (A) before it all got canned. They are miraculously in the League One playoff spots again but for them better to end the season and just get paid. 

Very sad all round, always feel sorry - and a lot of admiration - for clubs that tread water and consciously have to prioritise off the pitch survival over on the pitch success. It's the very definition of a community club and in this case is most of the lower leagues.

OK, so the season has now ended with final position being decided on the average points per game. That way the club that has played 28 games will not have an advantage over one that's played one game less.

As posted, the top team in the three lower divisions are promoted, but no play  offs. for a 2nd promotion spot. Rangers are livid as although they trail Celtic by thirteen points, it is still mathematically possible for them them to pip Celtic to the title.

The advantage of ending the season now means that clubs can now be paid the sponsorship money that's paid depending on their final league position. That will help the clubs continue to exist. Will the EFL take inspiration from this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52471109

Not comfortable with this, Neil Doncaster calls on Rangers to prove their allegations of wrongdoing which is hard for just them to do, but I'm pretty sure I heard him say in an interview its their (Rangers & Stranrar) right to call for an egm but he believes that and a full investigation to be a waste of time and resources that should be directed to battling coronavirus. To me it seems like he's trying to use the current crisis to hide behind what is an obvious shambles and (in my view) wrongdoing by Dundee. 

Archived