Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

15 minutes ago, Selred said:

They always said at the earliest. So 14th June is when they will look into ending social distancing measures at the very earliest. 

They've said a lot of things though (3 weeks to flatten the curve etc). I think if data shows numbers continue to fall off a cliff like they are now due to effect of vaccinations then it would make sense not to delay the inevitable. 

2 hours ago, Selred said:

They always said at the earliest. So 14th June is when they will look into ending social distancing measures at the very earliest. 

No they said they would follow the data and if as looks very likely things are going far better than expected then they should follow that date and open things sooner, there was some one on TV from the government yesterday saying that they may only need 2 weeks between the lifting if restrictions now not the 4 they thought, 

3 minutes ago, winsaw said:

No they said they would follow the data and if as looks very likely things are going far better than expected then they should follow that date and open things sooner, there was some one on TV from the government yesterday saying that they may only need 2 weeks between the lifting if restrictions now not the 4 they thought, 

Government website says 'not before x date' for each of the changes

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, phantom said:

Honestly not heard that phrase use

I've heard/seen the phrase used.

But I expect they will want to open early for several reasons - one saves economy a bit and two will help the goldfish voters forget about the mess they have made of last year. The vaccination is starting to do the 2nd already. If they can do it based on the figures dropping off a cliff then I think they should and will.

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Government website says 'not before x date' for each of the changes

The government has already starting spinning themselves out of that it's all about the good data now, they just can't keep the country in lockdown until June if there is hardly any covid well before that, remember we are not going for a zero covid country we have already accepted that it will always be here the government just want it at a level where it kills no more than flu around 10000 a year, 

Also bojo is under a lot of pressure from his own party to speed up the opening, this will only get greater as things keep going better with the jab, 

• Hmmm 1
8 minutes ago, Super said:

Can anyone really see come August you will for example see 76,000 fans at Old Trafford? 

Yes why not? That is what the vaccine is meant to do else its a waste of time and money. We can't ever have no covid so have to get back on with life asap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yes why not? That is what the vaccine is meant to do else its a waste of time and money. We can't ever have no covid so have to get back on with life asap.

I still think there will be some sort of restrictions until the end of this year for sure.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Super said:

I still think there will be some sort of restrictions until the end of this year for sure.

I really hope you are wrong! I can't see justification for why if everyone has been offered vaccine and it works as it is working as it is right now. We know we have to accept x amounts of deaths - people die of all kinds of things and once this has been brought to an acceptable level then we have to accept the risk and carry on else pointless being alive. Might as well just be dead if we aren't willing to risk doing anything except working.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Super said:

Can anyone really see come August you will for example see 76,000 fans at Old Trafford? 

Yes, that's why restrictions are due to end on June 21st. 

All festivals in the summer have sold out Reading, Leeds, Boardmasters etc. I expect Wembley to be at full capacity for the final stages of the Euros. Fans back in stadiums next season with no restrictions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes, that's why restrictions are due to end on June 21st. 

All festivals in the summer have sold out Reading, Leeds, Boardmasters etc. I expect Wembley to be at full capacity for the final stages of the Euros. Fans back in stadiums next season with no restrictions.

Hope you are right.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Why? As I've mentioned before on this thread, never will we have such a high % of vaccinated people as this year again. If we can't do it this summer we never will. 

19 hours ago, 22A said:

PUFC look like they'll be promoted this season and will be playing City in 2021/22.

I live in P'boro' so that makes it a home game for me. 😛

Do they still have the terrace?

I can remember one of our last trips there going 2-0 up and hanging on for dear life? Was there a red card or two, or one of our players stretchered off, got a bit nasty from what I remember?

5 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I would say they will almost definitely be the opposite.

Normal life by 21st June. Wouldn't surprise me if sooner based on the data seen so far - even Scotland and Wales are going to announce lifting of restrictions sooner than expected due to it.

Time to get back to having a life again.

This is where they've tied themselves up a bit. They said it would be data driven not date - then preceeded to set a number of dates for each phase!

By then most "normal" things will be happening, you'll be able to meet upto 29 other people, go to the pub, gather at a house etc the main things left will be the big events. That will depend on testing. There's a big leap from where we'll be at the end of May to suddenly having 90k people in a field for 4 days or 90k at Wembley (we all know what its like cramming on the tube etc round there!)

I think that stage of it will depend on trials and may have to wait, but I can see everything else being pretty "normal" by then with the rate of the numbers

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Honestly not heard that phrase use

The actual wording was no earlier - but the same thing:

Step 4 - not before 21 June

Social contact

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

3 hours ago, winsaw said:

It takes at least 3 weeks for any effect on hospital admissions to come through. By giving each stage a 5 week gap you are making sure by opening another sector of economy and life you are not letting it get out of control. 

It has been mentioned a few times by government and scientists that come Autumn we may well have to have some kind of restrictions to keep it under control masks and social testing . 21st June will only happen if test events show no increase in hospital admissions and death rates. 

We have a vaccine and hopefully it will last 9 months or longer but if it is only good for 6 months then opening up can be stalled by a few weeks as we give people a booster it is all basically a big experiment that no one knows what the end result will be. 

• Like 2

Just seen that one of the final rounds of the premier league matches are to be pushed back a week to enable the little darlings to have not one but two matches with up to 10,000 fans present. Bless!

19 minutes ago, Midred said:

Just seen that one of the final rounds of the premier league matches are to be pushed back a week to enable the little darlings to have not one but two matches with up to 10,000 fans present. Bless!

Would imagine the simple thing to do would be pushing the midweek set of fixtures 3 from the end back to the weekend, being fair if the EFL was in the same position I'd expect them to do the same.

On 08/03/2021 at 18:35, Davefevs said:

The place we go in Cornwall each year runs Friday to Friday....so perfect....last day is 6th Aug.

you don't have to answer this but why do you back to the same place every year?

9 minutes ago, reddoh said:

We go (or at least try) to Looe once a year, and from there go off to a few different places around Cornwall on daytrips. If you like an area that much, then why not? 

We also try to go to a few different areas at different points in the year (maybe not so much now as we have the dog and baby), but never enjoy it as much as Cornwall/Looe.

Some people prefer to go abroad every year, some stay in the UK, some will go to one place once, and never go back again. From the sounds of it you're in the latter group, that's fine if that's what you prefer.

Also for different people, their needs/requirements will be different, and perhaps a specific area/Park/accommodation is a perfect setup for them. For @Davefevs his requirements will be more specific than for me and my family. 

With that in mind this year we're taking my mum and dad away with us as it will be their 40th anniversary, in the same week it will be our 11th. My dad can't walk far, mum had a stroke a few years ago, and as a result she can't walk far now either, in fact uses a scooter most of the time if she's out for a prolonged amount of time. The place we are going, we all like, all know, and although it's not on the flat exactly, they can still get about the site. We also know that they can cater for their needs as well as ours by having a fully accessible caravan.

That's one reason we usually go there when we do go to Looe.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1
59 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Nah, that’s ok Dave.  It’s Because we like it!  We do go to other places too.

When I say each year, this will be our third year.  As you know, with Joe, finding suitable accommodation is not easy.  We found a lovely converted barn on a farm just outside Porthtowan, where the owners had made it accessible, level access, wide doors, wet room, etc.  Both kids love it, the farm dog comes in and says hello, it’s nice and relaxing and a good base to head anywhere in Cornwall.  Porthtowan beach, although not the prettiest is fine to get Joe’s beach wheelchair on and off.  

image.thumb.jpeg.71d042de7ab22dba188caef35b124901.jpeg

For us, there’s something to be said for turning up somewhere, and not having to suss everything out, and the holiday starting the moment you arrive.

It takes a helluva lot of prep (and money) taking Joe’s wheelchair abroad, so we tend to do a big trip every few years, e.g. Oz, LA / Anaheim.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, that’s ok Dave.  It’s Because we like it!  We do go to other places too.

When I say each year, this will be our third year.  As you know, with Joe, finding suitable accommodation is not easy.  We found a lovely converted barn on a farm just outside Porthtowan, where the owners had made it accessible, level access, wide doors, wet room, etc.  Both kids love it, the farm dog comes in and says hello, it’s nice and relaxing and a good base to head anywhere in Cornwall.  Porthtowan beach, although not the prettiest is fine to get Joe’s beach wheelchair on and off.  

image.thumb.jpeg.71d042de7ab22dba188caef35b124901.jpeg

For us, there’s something to be said for turning up somewhere, and not having to suss everything out, and the holiday starting the moment you arrive.

It takes a helluva lot of prep (and money) taking Joe’s wheelchair abroad, so we tend to do a big trip every few years, e.g. Oz, LA / Anaheim.

Has Joe just run over that bloke on your right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 09/03/2021 at 13:12, Alex_BCFC said:

I really hope you are wrong! I can't see justification for why if everyone has been offered vaccine and it works as it is working as it is right now. We know we have to accept x amounts of deaths - people die of all kinds of things and once this has been brought to an acceptable level then we have to accept the risk and carry on else pointless being alive. Might as well just be dead if we aren't willing to risk doing anything except working.

I agree and apparently No flu deaths this year so far....hhhmm smells a bit fishy to me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Would imagine the simple thing to do would be pushing the midweek set of fixtures 3 from the end back to the weekend, being fair if the EFL was in the same position I'd expect them to do the same.

Trouble is they've extended the end of their season over the last few years and come October they'll all be complaining that they've not had a proper break!

Season can’t be extended for there are only 6 midweeks free for PL till end of season 

4 CL games 
Fa cup semi and final team rearranged fixtures need fitting in. 

If Tottenham make Europa league final and FA cup final they may well have 2 play 2 PL games one midweek.

Euros mid June all leagues must end by end of May.

Edited by wayne allisons tongues
9 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

My god I miss Cornwall. 

Lovely place, my grandparents had a farm just outside Looe, I used to spend my summer holidays as a kid down there, wonderful times..

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Midred said:

Not sure I see the problem, surely we all want to see the Euro's hosted here (or as much as possible). From what I've heard from people in a position that may know, there's still a very real chance of the Euro's being hosted entirely here (and that particular company are planning for this).

To do so, we'll need to have conducted trial events and assessed the risk