Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

glynriley

RIP Buster Footman

Recommended Posts

Get well soon Buster . As a youngster seeing Buster running out in all weathers with his t shirt on was an iconic part of Bristol City for me . Now he was old school 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get well soon Buster. How many physios are remembered 15 - 20 ( when did he leave? )years on? Not many. City legend. COYR 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Mate just text to say say Buster is recovering in hospital following a heart attack. 

He's probably sat up in bed in a t-shirt...!

If true, speedy recovery Buster. 

If true?! Surely you would have checked this was genuine before placing such an emotive post on a public forum? Buster is another character whose place in our history is assured ...but surely check such a story is true before announcing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buster played bowls after his retirement for RBL Portishead and was captain with them for a season and my outdoor club play in the same league as them playing against them around three or four times over the summer - sometimes more.

Consequently we all know each other pretty well and I asked after Buster not having seen him for at least a couple of years. Sadly I discovered that he’d developed Alzheimer’s and was no longer playing. Very sad indeed.

With  advanced dementia he won’t realise just how poorly he’s become and I guess that’s a blessing in many ways.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now HERE is a guy I'd love to listen to on a Bristol City podcast!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is going to make a speedy recovery it'll be Buster.  Don't think I ever witnessed him lose a physio race with his opposite number when they would both tear onto the pitch at the same time.  Great character and part of City folklore for ever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a dorky 15 year old i got to attend a physio course with buster at ashton gate, in the old williams stand treatment room. Was a lovely guy. He would have martin Scott in doing the course with him, demonstrating the muscle groups of the legs,,, cause his legs were like tree trunks.

as someone else said, not many other physios are recalled so fondly 25 years later, buster was great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although the young 'uns won't understand it, the responses to this thread from use old geezers and gals speak absolute volumes about Buster.  Sorry to read @Robbored added news of Buster's Alzheimers.........I lost my Dad to it this week.  

Legend is a title earned by BF, from use oldies.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sums the man up when a physio and i dont mean that in a detrimental way is held in such high regard, I couldn't name our physio from 5 years ago....will never forget Buster tho, great character from our recent history.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Buster is the only physio I can ever recall.Didnt we have a lady doctor Helen or something for while?All the best Buster,a proper character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Sums the man up when a physio and i dont mean that in a detrimental way is held in such high regard, I couldn't name our physio from 5 years ago....will never forget Buster tho, great character from our recent history.

As far as I’m aware Buster had no professional physio qualifications but had learnt his trade in the army. I can’t remember when he was appointed at City but it seems as if he’d been there for decades. I really can’t remember who was the ‘sponge man’ before he was.

He has/had a typical army PI character. A mans man, personall very fit and very tough - hence why we never saw Buster sprinting onto the pitch in anything other than a T shirt regardless of the weather!  Quite remarkable when you think about it.

A unique character for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Although the young 'uns won't understand it, the responses to this thread from use old geezers and gals speak absolute volumes about Buster.  Sorry to read @Robbored added news of Buster's Alzheimers.........I lost my Dad to it this week.  

Legend is a title earned by BF, from use oldies.

Sorry for your loss. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Get well soon Buster.

A great guy, who was as popular as many of our star players.

 

More so I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Slacker said:

I think Buster is the only physio I can ever recall.Didnt we have a lady doctor Helen or something for while?All the best Buster,a proper character. 

We did. I recall a game when Shaun Taylor took one in the nads. She ran out with her magic sponge to the sound of everyone encouraging Taylor to "stay down, stay down"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well when I saw this I feared the worst, so I'm relieved it wasn't quite what I thought it was when I saw the thread title. Still very sad, and I wish Buster a full recovery. What a legend, and a proper character as @Slacker has said above.

 

Sad to hear he has alzheimers, and condolences @JackofromSanJavier 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legend

6 hours ago, Slacker said:

I think Buster is the only physio I can ever recall.Didnt we have a lady doctor Helen or something for while?All the best Buster,a proper character. 

Gill O’Shea

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Legend

Gill O’Shea

Actually that does sound a bit familiar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when I first started going down it felt like the club was built on three pillars beginning with B: Buster, Beryl and (Super) Bob! 

Get well Buster, a real legend. Saw there was a thread on here not long back campaigning to give Scott Murray a testimonial, but I honestly think (and whilst not knocking Scotty's own immense contribution to the club), that there are other great servants to Bristol City who would probably benefit more from such a gesture: Buster is an ideal example!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, iamsober said:

Didn't he have one in 1999?

I stand completely corrected - I had totally no idea, but just googled and it appears you're spot on. More so, it appears he had a couple of games (one held at Clevedon Town, and another at AG where apparently we played a Man Utd select XI. I have no memory of either game whatsoever! 

Nonetheless, no idea what his personal situation is (I'm imaging he's not the sort to spunk his money on birds, booze and gambling!), but I think a servant like that working so diligently and passionately behind the scenes is more deserving of a benefit than a former player given the rewards are likely to be have been far more modest. Then again, I don't want to deflect from the actual point of this thread which is to wish him well and a speedy recovery! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The poster who said that physios are rarely remembered us correct.

In seventy years, I can only remember, Wilf Copping 1955 promotion side, Les Bardsley who was at City for a very long time and Buster Footman.

All big characters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I stand completely corrected - I had totally no idea, but just googled and it appears you're spot on. More so, it appears he had a couple of games (one held at Clevedon Town, and another at AG where apparently we played a Man Utd select XI. I have no memory of either game whatsoever! 

Nonetheless, no idea what his personal situation is (I'm imaging he's not the sort to spunk his money on birds, booze and gambling!), but I think a servant like that working so diligently and passionately behind the scenes is more deserving of a benefit than a former player given the rewards are likely to be have been far more modest. Then again, I don't want to deflect from the actual point of this thread which is to wish him well and a speedy recovery! 

Was that the game that finished 3-3? I remember watching that in the open end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The poster who said that physios are rarely remembered us correct.

In seventy years, I can only remember, Wilf Copping 1955 promotion side, Les Bardsley who was at City for a very long time and Buster Footman.

All big characters.

Gill someone or other because a fuss was made about us having a female physio. I was surprised to see she came back and is still involved following her pregnancy. 

Apart from her and Buster I have no idea. 

I have no idea who is our current physio 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PolskRed said:

Was that the game that finished 3-3? I remember watching that in the open end.

Is that not the game a certain Ralph Milne scored a great goal, half volley on the out side of the foot to the top corner then Alex Ferguson signed him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...