IGNORED

Would you want City to be promoted behind closed doors?

ChippenhamRed

Would you want City to be promoted behind closed doors?  

401 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

51 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

You need a 3rd option: couldn't give a F either way right now.

It’s deliberately binary to explore what matters more to us fans; our personal experience or the achievements of the club. I think it’s an interesting question.

I’m not suggesting for one minute that football matters when set against the context of Coronavirus - of course it doesn’t.

Good question and I think it matters hugely. If all we're to concentrate on now is Covid 19 I think the mental hospitals will be overflowing by the time football is played again. 

I'd be ***** off if after 40 years of waiting I was to miss seeing us promoted to the top flight again, plus we might have to miss the start of our new PL campaign 

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

Yes, I want to see City promoted, a club celebration in town then delayed until a point mass gatherings are allowed again for everyone to celebrate it

Wouldn’t you feel cheated out of something special though if we won at an empty Wembley with zero atmosphere?

Football’s all about the big moments for me, the rush of adrenalin. Having waited my whole life for promotion to the top division (I was born in 83), I think I’d rather wait and savour it properly. It would always be a severely tainted achievement.

15 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Good question and I think it matters hugely. If all we're to concentrate on now is Covid 19 I think the mental hospitals will be overflowing by the time football is played again. 

I'd be ***** off if after 40 years of waiting I was to miss seeing us promoted to the top flight again, plus we might have to miss the start of our new PL campaign 

Good point - not only the play off final at stake is it. Imagine watching us play Liverpool at home at an empty Ashton Gate! I just think it would ruin the whole thing we’d waited so long for.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think I’d rather wait and savour it properly

This is the part that stands out for me, I haven't seen City in the top division either being born later, but there is no guarantee that the chance comes around again so we need to take it whenever that chance does come. 

If we could guarantee we were promoted the next season fans are back then yeah sure I'd wait, but we can't guarantee it

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

This is the part that stands out for me, I haven't seen City in the top division either being born later, but there is no guarantee that the chance comes around again so we need to take it whenever that chance does come. 

I guess it becomes more a question of gambling then; would you take the lesser experience, or gamble on a far superior experience later that may never happen?! I think I’d gamble.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good point - not only the play off final at stake is it. Imagine watching us play Liverpool at home at an empty Ashton Gate! I just think it would ruin the whole thing we’d waited so long for.

Yes, I was 12 last time we got promoted to the top flight and lived 60 miles away with parents that didn't like football. So by the time I was working and could afford to go a lot we on a steep downward spiral. 

I don't want to miss out but it wouldn't be the worse experience as a city fan*

*see May 1990 thread

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I guess it becomes more a question of gambling then; would you take the lesser experience, or gamble on a far superior experience later that may never happen?! I think I’d gamble.

The flip side is you don't go up, you can slip down the table to mid table obscurity or worse. If we went up we'd also get a season of PL money, where potentially the TV money could be increased with more games on tv, which sets us up even if we did come back down.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good point, as I said I wouldn't be too upset if it happens but I think it will happen at some point in the next few years, it would just be a tarnished memory if it happened behind closed doors. 

We could be already relegated by the time we're allowed to take our seats

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Good point, as I said I wouldn't be too upset if it happens but I think it will happen at some point in the next few years, it would just be a tarnished memory if it happened behind closed doors. 

We could be already relegated by the time we're allowed to take our seats

Dear me imagine that, our first taste of Premier League football being a dead rubber!

I've been thinking this for a while. It would be typical of the luck of BCFC to actually win promotion behind closed doors. No glory no limelight, no recognition, no gloating, no outpouring of joy. We'd have the comments such as, "you only won because others didn't take it seriously",  "It was a nothing competition", "you were lucky there was no atmosphere to influence the game", "there was no pressure on you", "you couldn't do it again". 

Well feckum, I don't give a toss, I'd like to earn some mega bucks for our club, see it invested wisely and have a successful club that my son and grandsons can support in the top flight and eat at the top table, when I'm long gone. 

Do you want chips today, or maybe some chips later, I said maybe, and maybe not in your lifetime. If you want them today, I'm afraid you aren't going to be able to see the potato get skinned, diced, fried, or salted. You'll be able to dunk the chips in tommy Source for at least 9 months though!

I love eating chips more than I do making them.

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Do you want chips today, or maybe some chips later, I said maybe, and maybe not in your lifetime. If you want them today, I'm afraid you aren't going to be able to see the potato get skinned, diced, fried, or salted. You'll be able to dunk the chips in tommy Source for at least 9 months though!

Do you want your chips in front of you so you can smell that gorgeous salt and vinegar on them before you taste them? 

Or are you happy sat at home watching a plate of chips on TV? 

16 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Do you want your chips in front of you so you can smell that gorgeous salt and vinegar on them before you taste them? 

And don’t assume you’ll get to dunk those chips for 9 months either!

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

And don’t assume you’ll get to dunk those chips for 9 months either!

grow you own.

15 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

see above

16 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Learn't something new tonight how to multi quote "see above".  but don't multiquote @ChippenhamRed post

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

I would rather wait. Don’t think it’ll be the same sitting in the living room watching City’s promotion to the Premier League on your phone. 

Haven't you got a tv? why on earth would you have to watch it on your phone?

4 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

So you would rather us not get promoted with this conundrum we have been posed because you would miss out when it’s very likely you will never see us promoted to the top league in any future seasons 

A tough question. In all honesty i would rather wait.. if this season does re-start i think its always going to be looked back at in years to come slightly tainted with the games being behind closed doors. I know promotion is promotion but in an ideal world id rather it didn’t happen in that freak season that nobody will particularly look back on with any fondness. 

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So you would rather us not get promoted with this conundrum we have been posed because you would miss out when it’s very likely you will never see us promoted to the top league in any future seasons 

Thars one way of looking at it.

A lot of people in football say Bristol City's turn is coming soon, so if it happens now behind closed doors we'll all miss out and it may never happen again in my lifetime.

If it doesn't and let's face it, over the season so far we're just not good enough, then there's a very very good chance it will happen in the following seasons when we'll all be there. 

Of course I'll be cheering on from my sofa if that's what it is but I'll always have that missing out feeling, like I did last time it happened when I was 11 tears old and lived too far away to get there. 

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Why is it “very likely”? Looking at it objectively tells you we’ve been sniffing around the top 8 consistently for a few seasons now, we continue to invest in the team and have a fantastic infrustructure. I would say we will have a decent chance in future seasons.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why is it “very likely”? Looking at it objectively tells you we’ve been sniffing around the top 8 consistently for a few seasons now, we continue to invest in the team and have a fantastic infrustructure. I would say we will have a decent chance in future seasons.

Taking Covid 19 out of the equation, I dont think we're anywhere near ready this season, we're getting there but not right now

The question will divide opinion understandably and as stated earlier when viewed against everything else related to the pandemic, football is not important.

Having witnessed promotion to the old Division 1 though, if the Chamionship continues to see out the season yes I would rather be there and be part of celebrations which would incorporate tech we didn't have then (pyrotechnics, large screen pitch side television screens, modem sound systems, floaty banners etc) but I would definitely take promotion behind closed doors.

It would be an odd atmosphere watching it all unfold on television but I could live with that and passing up the opportunity would be very brave IMO.  Yes it would be labelled by some other clubs as not proper promotion but no one likes us anyway so it would be water off a ducks back.

Archived