Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Brilliant.

1970 was the first World Cup I remember, although it passed me by a bit, my dad wasn't a football fan and I was too young to really appreciate what was going on, I just remember there being a lot of football on the telly and going to neighbours houses to watch it. I remember  really enjoying the excitement of the other dads in the street in the game which looking back must have been the West Germany v England game and being a bit confused how the atmosphere was flat after.

By 1974 I was obsessed with football and watched every game I could  and cheered on West Germany (For some reason I liked Wolfgang Overath). I remember being stunned when Zaire got beat 9-0 by Yugoslavia, a score that I hadn't thought possible in football, and one I thought I never witness again (Little did I know!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Brilliant.

1970 was the first World Cup I remember, although it passed me by a bit, my dad wasn't a football fan and I was too young to really appreciate what was going on, I just remember there being a lot of football on the telly and going to neighbours houses to watch it. I remember  really enjoying the excitement of the other dads in the street in the game which looking back must have been the West Germany v England game and being a bit confused how the atmosphere was flat after.

By 1974 I was obsessed with football and watched every game I could  and cheered on West Germany (For some reason I liked Wolfgang Overath). I remember being stunned when Zaire got beat 9-0 by Yugoslavia, a score that I hadn't thought possible in football, and one I thought I never witness again (Little did I know!)

Pretty much my story mate, apart from seeing a  9-0 again obviously!

I remember them wheeling out the big telly on a stand at primary school so`s we could watch the West Germany game (?)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I remember them wheeling out the big telly on a stand at primary school so`s we could watch the West Germany game (?)

I was a bit older than you two, I remember watching the 66 world cup and getting really upset when Germany took the lead (I was eleven). I was really up for the 70 world cup, knowing a lot more about the game and the build up to that tournament. It was a popular belief that we were better than the previous winning team, probably correct. Sadly the decisions taken during the Germany game proved to be wrong, the rest is history. What a balls ache 74 was though and 78 come to that.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Welcome to the 50's club Dave, well for tomorrow anyway. 

Slightly different plans than intended.  Had a pre-50 tea in the garden tonight with Mrs F and the kids....as it’s due to rain tomorrow.  All this lovely weather and it’s gonna rain tomorrow 😡

When England lost their quarter final game after being 2-0 up at half time, I lost interest in the remainder of that tournament.

It didn't help that England then failed to qualify for the 74 and 78 tournaments.

Being a teenager in 1970, it amazed me that the first qualifying game for the 74 World Cup was played in November 1971. I thought then that instead of playing internationals throughout the seasons, why not have a six week tournament for the qualifying matches?

I remember this World Cup very clearly as most games were televized very late evening, more like midnight, due to time difference.

The England v Brasil game sticks so clearly and the scenes at the end with Bobby Moore and Pele hugging each other in great respect for each other, will stick forever.

Thank you Final 3 Star for sharing your memories with us. What a trip to win!

Anyone with Amazon Prime can watch The World At Their Feet, the official film of the 1970 World Cup, and all the other World Cup films for that matter. 

The England v Brazil game has become legendary over the years, the save from Gordon Banks, the immaculate display from Bobby Moore, and then the sportsmanship between Moore and Pele at the end.

I’m a keen autograph collector, and have that photo up in two of my most prized possessions. 

C9BE1539-10F4-47B6-B0E1-46FF64EE38BE.jpeg

C213C963-E288-4C8E-82E4-D4B75440D39A.jpeg

• Like 1
On 02/06/2020 at 20:26, Lanterne Rouge said:

LR, I'm glad you put a question mark querying if it was the West Germany game you saw in primary school.

I remember watching it with my dad! Maybe you were at a Mexican primary school in which case we are both correct! Midday KO in Mexico (7pm BST).

However, I do remember getting up early one morning to watch a match. It could well have been on repeat from a late night kick off?

Screenshot_20200606-094057_Chrome.jpg

On 03/06/2020 at 17:49, BS15_RED said:

Anyone with Amazon Prime can watch The World At Their Feet, the official film of the 1970 World Cup, and all the other World Cup films for that matter. 

The England v Brazil game has become legendary over the years, the save from Gordon Banks, the immaculate display from Bobby Moore, and then the sportsmanship between Moore and Pele at the end.

I’m a keen autograph collector, and have that photo up in two of my most prized possessions. 

C9BE1539-10F4-47B6-B0E1-46FF64EE38BE.jpeg

C213C963-E288-4C8E-82E4-D4B75440D39A.jpeg

I have that same signed Pele/Moore and the 1966 team ones on my office wall.

Also have a signed one of the Banks save from Pele.

Bigbluetube.com used to be a great source of signed photos.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

LR, I'm glad you put a question mark querying if it was the West Germany game you saw in primary school.

I remember watching it with my dad! Maybe you were at a Mexican primary school in which case we are both correct! Midday KO in Mexico (7pm BST).

However, I do remember getting up early one morning to watch a match. It could well have been on repeat from a late night kick off?

Screenshot_20200606-094057_Chrome.jpg

I wonder what game it could have been then? I distinctly remember the big telly but it was fifty years ago and the memory ain`t what it was!

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I wonder what game it could have been then? I distinctly remember the big telly but it was fifty years ago and the memory ain`t what it was!

We had a similar tv at our primary school (1966 onwards) but all I can remember watching on that were the music lessons! There was a lady who would yell 'S I N G' in any particular key. We then had to follow the music on screen but the appropriate notes would light up. Very technologically cutting edge stuff!

• Like 1