IGNORED

Lee Johnson Clean Slate?

Berkshire Red

Firstly I hope all are keeping well during these troubling times and we are all looking forward to football being back so we can enjoy some entertainment beyond the most recently circulated whatsapp emoji quiz!

Now for the important point, to me it is very much feeling like a new season is upon us and I'm quietly optimistic that with Afobe back from injury and a prolonged break, LJ can make this season our year. For some reason I feel like we may go on another johnson winning streak and things may click into place ?

However, then I look back at the league table again and realised our current form is 1 win from our last 7 games. Can I confirm if we lose our first 2 games, am I to be in the Johnson out category again? Or is this a fresh season/fresh start approach from the fans?

Interested to gauge others opinions on the future of our manager if things do/dont go well. Or indeed if anyone really cares who manages the team given how unimportant it all seems in light of recent events.

4 minutes ago, City18 said:

Firstly I hope all are keeping well during these troubling times and we are all looking forward to football being back so we can enjoy some entertainment beyond the most recently circulated whatsapp emoji quiz!

Now for the important point, to me it is very much feeling like a new season is upon us and I'm quietly optimistic that with Afobe back from injury and a prolonged break, LJ can make this season our year. For some reason I feel like we may go on another johnson winning streak and things may click into place ?

However, then I look back at the league table again and realised our current form is 1 win from our last 7 games. Can I confirm if we lose our first 2 games, am I to be in the Johnson out category again? Or is this a fresh season/fresh start approach from the fans?

Interested to gauge others opinions on the future of our manager if things do/dont go well. Or indeed if anyone really cares who manages the team given how unimportant it all seems in light of recent events.

Feeling lucky to be well & alive...

Of course hoping we can up our game & grab a playoff spot..having said that it doesn't rank that highly in importance.

10 minutes ago, City18 said:

our current form is 1 win from our last 7 games

I'm not sure there's any such thing as form at the moment! 

Hopefully we can go on a nice winning run, it's been a terrible year and I think we could all do with cheering up.

My opinion is if we just miss out on the play offs this season then it would be incredibly harsh to sack him given everything thats going on so should be allowed to continue into next season and be judged on that at the least.

Lucky Lee ?

He was under pressure to deliver a play off place at the very least. I think this strange season will save him unless we have a total surrender for the last nine matches, which I don’t believe will happen.

I like Lee , he is a good front for the club, intelligent , funny and a modern football man. I hope he delivers but would not be against a change if he doesn’t.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mark Robins tagged as a possible replacement if and when LJ goes.

Honestly believe that we will never go up with Johnson in charge. 

The football has been extremely poor in the main, especially at home. Don’t let a few months in the 17/18 season fool you! 

We’ve become a steady championship club with LJ in charge, which I thank him & Lansdowns many millions for, but I think we need someone else to take us to the next level.

Personally I don’t think anybody knows regardless of which team you support how things are going to go. Lots of different factors to consider but a good start to this mini - league will be crucial.

I don’t think Lee will be under too much pressure if we miss out unless there is a total capitulation.

Next season however will be his last if we don’t go up then.

21 minutes ago, The Major said:

Said it before, many many times.  He's out of his depth!  His level is lower Champs or Lge 1.  Lets get the next 9 games done and then move him on so that we can progress.

A lower championship/league 1 manager who has taken what were a low championship club at the time and after this season will more than likely have had 3 top half championship finishes in a row? Slightly contradictory message there given we were no where near a top half championship club when he took over and even now are probably a mid table championship club performing above where we should be.

Something to take into account, should Johnson leave at the end of the season any new manager/head coach likely wouldn't be given funds to work with to mould the squad to their liking and would present a real challenge. Think I'd rather stick with the head coach whose got us to finishing top 10 and close to play offs who has developed this squad. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Lucky Lee ?

He was under pressure to deliver a play off place at the very least. I think this strange season will save him unless we have a total surrender for the last nine matches, which I don’t believe will happen.

I like Lee , he is a good front for the club, intelligent , funny and a modern football man. I hope he delivers but would not be against a change if he doesn’t.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mark Robins tagged as a possible replacement if and when LJ goes.

Bigger argument to keep him is the record of our owner making managerial appointments. Cotterill was down to Keith Dawe.  

30 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Personally I don’t think anybody knows regardless of which team you support how things are going to go. Lots of different factors to consider but a good start to this mini - league will be crucial.

I don’t think Lee will be under too much pressure if we miss out unless there is a total capitulation.

Next season however will be his last if we don’t go up then.

I agree with that. I said during our abysmal patch (the one this season!) that he had til the end of the season before I pass judgement, but Covid has null and voided that. I'd give him 2020-21 season to make the playoffs at a minimum. Anything less and you feel the club would just be treading water at best, or maybe even declining. 

It’s a difficult one, I get some of the sentiments on here but I don’t have much faith in his ability as a match day manager. He might be a brilliant coach as we keep being told but we need a better tactician and man-manager in my view. Easy said than done...

26 minutes ago, hodge said:

Something to take into account, should Johnson leave at the end of the season any new manager/head coach likely wouldn't be given funds to work with to mould the squad to their liking and would present a real challenge. Think I'd rather stick with the head coach whose got us to finishing top 10 and close to play offs who has developed this squad. 

There'll be a shorter turnaround gap between the seasons as well.

Unless we have a proper meltdown and barely pick up any points, he's going nowhere now.

I think that bar a total disaster in the next 9 games that he gets next season as well. This season has to really be taken as a one off. I think the break will work to our advantage. It's all down to what sort of streak we have in the next 9 games. We are just as likely to collect 19 points in the next 9 games as 6 points. Really could go either way. 

35 minutes ago, hodge said:

A lower championship/league 1 manager who has taken what were a low championship club at the time and after this season will more than likely have had 3 top half championship finishes in a row? Slightly contradictory message there given we were no where near a top half championship club when he took over and even now are probably a mid table championship club performing above where we should be.

Obviously an extreme example, but I reckon I could get man city or Barcelona to win this league.

Based on the strength of our squad he has not achieved anything special. He has got a top half quality team to achieve a top half finish. A good manager with the resources and backing he has had would have had the ability to create a higher achieving team.

That being said, having watched Sunderland til I die and watched the back room staff ignore their managers advise and pay 3 million for will grigg. If things are anything like that at City I do wonder how much say LJ actually has in how the club invests money.

50 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I think some people forget how dull we actually were before the break. Fulham saw a slight improvement but we struggled to create much of note before that.

Here's hoping the break works out for us. Let's be honest we should be getting in that top 6.

Quite enjoyed the Derby game too but tend to agree!

That's the thing though- we haven't created all that much throughout much of the season in general- our metrics in a number of respects range from below average to poor to appalling.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite enjoyed the Derby game too but tend to agree!

That's the thing though- we haven't created all that much throughout much of the season in general- our metrics in a number of respects range from below average to poor to appalling.

Guess the question is would fans prefer we take more shots from outside the box when in all likelihood they won't go in or try to create better chances where more attacks will break down before a shot in trying

He has my backing until the end of the season as no change would happen until then, then review post season.

I think with everyone fit we should be fighting for the play offs, if we put in lethargic performances, constant changes in personnel and formations and results don't follow then I would consider a change in the summer.

8 minutes ago, hodge said:

Guess the question is would fans prefer we take more shots from outside the box when in all likelihood they won't go in or try to create better chances where more attacks will break down before a shot in trying

Fair point, but our metrics in general are quite poor- think there's a middle ground between my misgivings and that one.

Our reliance on width at times- it is shown, proven that crossing is quite an inefficent way to score. Statistically. I'm not a fan of shoot on sight or for the hell of it but it still doesn't feel good enough, to me.

2 hours ago, hodge said:

I reckon any head coach / manager would love to inherit the squad we have (see below) minus all loans and players not committed to next season, e.g. Korey

E897AC8B-A14D-4CDC-8091-E9E672A99F31.thumb.jpeg.ab73b0fe23029f9c86bd17eb0dc102aa.jpeg

GK: Bentley, O’Leary, Wollacott, Gilmartin

RB: Hunt

LB: Dasilva, Pring

CB: Kalas, Moore, Baker, Vyner, Cundy (!)

CM: Nagy, Massengo, Walsh, Morrell, Morton, Bakinson, 

AM: Eliasson, Paterson, Palmer, O’Dowda, Adelakun, J.Smith, Watkins, Szmodics, Holden

FW: Weimann, Diedhiou, Wells, Semenyo, Janneh, Hinds

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I reckon any head coach / manager would love to inherit the squad we have (see below) minus all loans and players not committed to next season, e.g. Korey

E897AC8B-A14D-4CDC-8091-E9E672A99F31.thumb.jpeg.ab73b0fe23029f9c86bd17eb0dc102aa.jpeg

GK: Bentley, O’Leary, Wollacott, Gilmartin

RB: Hunt

LB: Dasilva, Pring

CB: Kalas, Moore, Baker, Vyner, Cundy (!)

CM: Nagy, Massengo, Walsh, Morrell, Morton, Bakinson, 

AM: Eliasson, Paterson, Palmer, O’Dowda, Adelakun, J.Smith, Watkins, Szmodics, Holden

FW: Weimann, Diedhiou, Wells, Semenyo, Janneh, Hinds

Just highlighting you'd need to bring in someone who likes the squad and wouldn't be looking to make many additions and probably no big money additions.

Archived