IGNORED

Lee Johnson Clean Slate?

Berkshire Red

3 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

I think some people forget how dull we actually were before the break. Fulham saw a slight improvement but we struggled to create much of note before that.

Here's hoping the break works out for us. Let's be honest we should be getting in that top 6.

Really enjoyed the Fulham match..

Played some very good football & it's a pity we didn't get the chance to take that momentum to Blackburn.

Were invariably shite after an international break let alone this...... could be interesting! ?....

4 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Honestly believe that we will never go up with Johnson in charge. 

The football has been extremely poor in the main, especially at home. Don’t let a few months in the 17/18 season fool you! 

We’ve become a steady championship club with LJ in charge, which I thank him & Lansdowns many millions for, but I think we need someone else to take us to the next level.

Nail on the head for me. Cannot see progression to the next level with the current set up. That’s not to say good progress hasn’t been achieved with cementing ourselves as a steady championship club but yeah i just don’t see how this management team can deliver prem football to be honest.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

I agree with that. I said during our abysmal patch (the one this season!) that he had til the end of the season before I pass judgement, but Covid has null and voided that. I'd give him 2020-21 season to make the playoffs at a minimum. Anything less and you feel the club would just be treading water at best, or maybe even declining. 

So 20/21 will be another waste of time?

We need to change if we don't want to continue the stagnation.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Sure you want to go with continue the stagnation?

'lack of activity, growth, or development'

18th, 17th, 11th, 8th and currently 7th 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair point, but our metrics in general are quite poor- think there's a middle ground between my misgivings and that one.

Our reliance on width at times- it is shown, proven that crossing is quite an inefficent way to score. Statistically. I'm not a fan of shoot on sight or for the hell of it but it still doesn't feel good enough, to me.

Our shot conversion is the highest in the division by a decent margin, at around 28%

When we take a shot it's because we are making a good chance.

So @hodges question is extremely pertinent. 

43 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We havent stagnated 

the break couldnt have come at a better time for us if we wanted to get out of the mustnt lose rut. fresh start with almost fully fit squad ready for an onslaught. its up to the players as much as LJ, if they cant give 100% commitment,it wont happen.have to see how they come out of the blocks against blackburn,soon tell if they are up for it or if they are still worried about too much contact which to be fair,you couldnt really blame them for

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Lucky Lee ?

He was under pressure to deliver a play off place at the very least. I think this strange season will save him unless we have a total surrender for the last nine matches, which I don’t believe will happen.

I like Lee , he is a good front for the club, intelligent , funny and a modern football man. I hope he delivers but would not be against a change if he doesn’t.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mark Robins tagged as a possible replacement if and when LJ goes.

I’m going to stick my neck on the line here and say we are going to get promoted. Already smacked £30 on 40/1 with sky bet 

8 hours ago, City18 said:

Firstly I hope all are keeping well during these troubling times and we are all looking forward to football being back so we can enjoy some entertainment beyond the most recently circulated whatsapp emoji quiz!

Now for the important point, to me it is very much feeling like a new season is upon us and I'm quietly optimistic that with Afobe back from injury and a prolonged break, LJ can make this season our year. For some reason I feel like we may go on another johnson winning streak and things may click into place ?

However, then I look back at the league table again and realised our current form is 1 win from our last 7 games. Can I confirm if we lose our first 2 games, am I to be in the Johnson out category again? Or is this a fresh season/fresh start approach from the fans?

Interested to gauge others opinions on the future of our manager if things do/dont go well. Or indeed if anyone really cares who manages the team given how unimportant it all seems in light of recent events.

Not sure from your post if you realise that the current season isn’t over yet?! You mention a “fresh season/fresh start” ?!

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Our shot conversion is the highest in the division by a decent margin, at around 28%

When we take a shot it's because we are making a good chance.

So @hodges question is extremely pertinent. 

We havent stagnated 

That is excellent- I like my stats but is fantastic, had no idea it was so high!

I feel it's unsustainable- 28% though is very good indeed- but we don't create enough, we don't control enough, we don't keep it tight enough at the back- IMO.

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Lucky Lee ?

He was under pressure to deliver a play off place at the very least. I think this strange season will save him unless we have a total surrender for the last nine matches, which I don’t believe will happen.

I like Lee , he is a good front for the club, intelligent , funny and a modern football man. I hope he delivers but would not be against a change if he doesn’t.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mark Robins tagged as a possible replacement if and when LJ goes.

Now Robins has not only a great track record but also the perfect surname ...I’m in ...

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is excellent- I like my stats but is fantastic, had no idea it was so high!

I feel it's unsustainable- 28% though is very good indeed- but we don't create enough, we don't control enough, we don't keep it tight enough at the back- IMO.

That’s not opinion mate. It’s fact. Anyone who’s seen us play (especially at home) would have to agree... at least you would have thought so...

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We're 37 games in, when does it become sustainable for our season? Charlton are an example of it being unsustainable and suffering as a result

It definitely feels like a fresh start, especially for all the teams hoping to make the playoffs. Form has gone out of the window. Teams have players available again. Games will be coming thick and fast.

Anything can happen. 

I think at the end of this season we can judge LJ on his performance since August 2019 but as it stands right now we have a great opportunity. We have to just let him get on with it.

He might of been under pressure if we didn’t make top 6 this season, but this virus will ensure there is no chance for a fair review of the season. There will be a armoury of excuses now. Even if we win only one or two of these remaining games he’ll still be here for next season.

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What does that mean? 28% of our shots result in a goal?!

Yes, however we take the least shots.

He said we score 28.8% of shots.

Someone did a YouTube video where they ran through a statistic that each club has the most of/their best stat (although not all were good, I think Boro's or Charlton's was most red cards)

They didnt cite a reference for where they got the stats, so I've taken it at face value.

18 17 11 and 8 we finished in this leauge last seasons. This season we hopefully be better than 8 place in the table. We may not have played good and attractive football but a table never lies. Think LJ and the Club have done a really good job and I think LJ  should be our manager next season to.. Sometimes he get it wrong but who is the manager or person who always makes the right call. Think and hope we will be top six this season.

Historically, LJ has even less of a clue about his best XI or formation when he has ‘all the clubs in the bag’. 

If he gets us on a roll and into the play-offs, great - the slate’s wiped clean. But I’m still certain he doesn’t know his arse from his elbow most of the time and needs to be replaced.

14 hours ago, The Bard said:

Bigger argument to keep him is the record of our owner making managerial appointments. Cotterill was down to Keith Dawe.  

Bear in mind, mind, that Jon Lansdown is chairman now and as we all know he’s pretty hands on, plus we have Mark Ashton as well. Keith Dawe appointing his mate worked so unbelievably well but just imagine the process for next time we find ourselves trying to appoint a new Head Coach! 

The game as we know it is in a major state of upheaval. There's not a chance he'll be replaced if we narrowly miss out on the playoffs. Think you also have to be realistic and say that not everything is black and white, especially in business....

If we miss out on the playoffs by a point has he failed the objective? Technically, yes, but is that failure the same in SL's eyes as if we'd stayed up by a point? It shouldn't be, they're vastly different results.

We need 16 points from 27 to improve on last year's points tally, which would be the conclusion of 5 straight seasons in the championship, and 5 straight seasons of increased points on the last. To sack a manager who has delivered that would be absolute madness. 

If we win 1 from 9 and end up worse off than last season, who knows - that could force SL into a decision.

Here's to 9 wins from 9 ?

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The game as we know it is in a major state of upheaval. There's not a chance he'll be replaced if we narrowly miss out on the playoffs. Think you also have to be realistic and say that not everything is black and white, especially in business....

If we miss out on the playoffs by a point has he failed the objective? Technically, yes, but is that failure the same in SL's eyes as if we'd stayed up by a point? It shouldn't be, they're vastly different results.

We need 16 points from 27 to improve on last year's points tally, which would be the conclusion of 5 straight seasons in the championship, and 5 straight seasons of increased points on the last. To sack a manager who has delivered that would be absolute madness. 

If we win 1 from 9 and end up worse off than last season, who knows - that could force SL into a decision.

Here's to 9 wins from 9 ?

Before the break we didn't look capable of 16 points from the final 9 games, so we really are hoping that we'll be a different beast post restart. 

With Benik back and firing plus Tomas Kalas finally rid of injury niggles that he's allegedly been carrying all season, I'm hoping the real Bristol city are about to be unleashed. Pity about Andi but he'll be back.

Given our squad strength, we shouldn't be fearing anyone in this league.

Just go for it LJ and stop boring me / us.

No excuses now. 

I would have thought he won't be removed in the summer regardless for the reasons given by others above.

Just go for it like the start of the 2017 season, that was superb to watch.

On another note, I'm glad we seem to have all come through this dreadful time, stay safe fellow reds.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Bear in mind, mind, that Jon Lansdown is chairman now and as we all know he’s pretty hands on, plus we have Mark Ashton as well. Keith Dawe appointing his mate worked so unbelievably well but just imagine the process for next time we find ourselves trying to appoint a new Head Coach! 

:facepalm:

:surrender:

Archived