IGNORED

Lee Johnson Clean Slate?

Berkshire Red

17 hours ago, mozo said:

I agree with that. I said during our abysmal patch (the one this season!) that he had til the end of the season before I pass judgement, but Covid has null and voided that. I'd give him 2020-21 season to make the playoffs at a minimum. Anything less and you feel the club would just be treading water at best, or maybe even declining. 

The Prem doesn't have play-offs............?

The Head Coach and his team will be going nowhere regardless of how these games pan out and I firmly believe that would have been the case had thre pandemic not occurred.

SL was bound to say he "expected" improvements but that statement is easily brushed over if we finished say 9th even in a normal season, so the break is a reason any club owner could use to justify standing by his man.

Hopefully these three months have given Mr Johnson the time to ponder upon his team selection, structure and tactics on the pitch and man management. He is young enough to markedly improve in all four areas, and with the backing he has from SL that might be enough to get us into the playoffs, and then who know.

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

With Benik back and firing plus Tomas Kalas finally rid of injury niggles that he's allegedly been carrying all season, I'm hoping the real Bristol city are about to be unleashed. Pity about Andi but he'll be back.

Given our squad strength, we shouldn't be fearing anyone in this league.

Just go for it LJ and stop boring me / us.

No excuses now. 

I would have thought he won't be removed in the summer regardless for the reasons given by others above.

Just go for it like the start of the 2017 season, that was superb to watch.

On another note, I'm glad we seem to have all come through this dreadful time, stay safe fellow reds.

Kalas has missed 20/37 league games through injury

Dasilva missed 22 through injury

Nagy missed 12 through injury, plus a couple more with niggles

Smith missed 16 through injury, plus a couple more with niggles

Afobe missed 30 through injury, plus one ineligible 

4 of those 5 would play 90% of games if fit.

This is a good time to restart.....I hope.

21 hours ago, hodge said:

My opinion is if we just miss out on the play offs this season then it would be incredibly harsh to sack him given everything thats going on so should be allowed to continue into next season and be judged on that at the least.

judged on that? he has been with us for years. man was 2nd in dec jan and got us outside the playoffs come end of season

1 minute ago, Redwhitepurple said:

judged on that? he has been with us for years. man was 2nd in dec jan and got us outside the playoffs come end of season

If you're talking 17/18 then we couldn't sustain the high press for the whole season given the injuries and small squad as a result. Also you take it as a negative that a team that finished 17th the previous season couldn't maintain play off form? 

I'm saying it would be harsh to sack him if we just missed out by say a point or two this season on play offs given everything thats happened and he should then be judged on next season, if LJ lost 5 of 9 etc then the question gets asked. But at the same time I don't think we'd be able to bring in someone who could work better with the current crop of players from who'd be available and not able to bring in many of their own players.

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yes, however we take the least shots.

He said we score 28.8% of shots.

Someone did a YouTube video where they ran through a statistic that each club has the most of/their best stat (although not all were good, I think Boro's or Charlton's was most red cards)

They didnt cite a reference for where they got the stats, so I've taken it at face value.

Cheers James - on the whole that’s sounds like a pretty good return to me, although like you said, we don’t take many shots and we’ve had several games in the recent past where we didn’t manage a single shot on target. But take the positive - we score a goal for every 3 shots we take (well, 3.47 but that sounds silly!)

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers James - on the whole that’s sounds like a pretty good return to me, although like you said, we don’t take many shots and we’ve had several games in the recent past where we didn’t manage a single shot on target. But take the positive - we score a goal for every 3 shots we take (well, 3.47 but that sounds silly!)

I want to say the next highest was mentioned at around 22%. But that's from vague memory, and I dont particularly feel like watching the whole video again just to listen out for a line that may not have been said.

Edit- did a quick google. First result I looked at has Derby second, with a conversion rate under 21%

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/chancenverwertung/wettbewerb/GB2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Kalas has missed 20/37 league games through injury

Dasilva missed 22 through injury

Nagy missed 12 through injury, plus a couple more with niggles

Smith missed 16 through injury, plus a couple more with niggles

Afobe missed 30 through injury, plus one ineligible 

4 of those 5 would play 90% of games if fit.

This is a good time to restart.....I hope.

I'm thinking back to the start of lockdown re Kalas Dave. Didn't LJ say he hadn't been properly fit all season and had played with niggles? All being well, this downtime would mean all the 'niggles' are over.

Credit to TK for playing with those problems BTW. We all know a fit TK is some defender.

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm thinking back to the start of lockdown re Kalas Dave. Didn't LJ say he hadn't been properly fit all season and had played with niggles? All being well, this downtime would mean all the 'niggles' are over.

Credit to TK for playing with those problems BTW. We all know a fit TK is some defender.

I spoke to Tomas just before Xmas when he’s just come back, and he said he was still injured, they didn’t quite know what was wrong, so he said “I might as well play then”.  Those 5 games around Xmas he was a shadow of the player we’d seen.  Then he had another injury break, coming back at Leeds (at right back) and was steadily getting back to the form we know he is capable of.

We have undoubtedly one of the best squads in this league, Lee needs to stop filling the players heads with gobble-de-gook and let them off the leash a bit. We are a bit light in the mid-field imo and need a general to link with Smith, but a forward line to be feared if we can get the ball to them.

Get the "box entries" up and we will win, ....feed the forwards and they will score, simple.

Lee will be going no-where anytime soon and we have nothing to lose this season and everything to gain so lets go for it...... and dump the laptop Lee.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I see it differently to many. I think LJ is one of the main reasons we are in such a good position.

We've pretty much always been an upper league one or struggling championship side in my lifetime.

We are now in a position where we feel we should be getting in the playoffs.

Who built this squad of players? LJ. With Lansdown backing yes.

But it's not like he has had endless money to spend. No parachute payments like many other clubs.

There have been many very good signings. And many players are not yet at their peak.

I do agree with the progress we have made as a club under Lee, and we have become an established championship club. However, Lee has brought these players in, he’s been backed financially by the board - the style of football has reduced but out league positions have improved.

The suspension of the season will help us , nobody would have expected Afobe to play in our final eight league games add in Wells and we’ve got possibly one of the best strike forces in the league. Lee has to find a way to get the best out of these two. 

On 19/06/2020 at 07:20, CyderInACan said:

Bear in mind, mind, that Jon Lansdown is chairman now and as we all know he’s pretty hands on, plus we have Mark Ashton as well. Keith Dawe appointing his mate worked so unbelievably well but just imagine the process for next time we find ourselves trying to appoint a new Head Coach! 

Shouldn't take that long to find Nigel Clough's telephone number.

Just kidding Johnson in !!

and the LJ excuse this week is????? the ref? the fine lines? the players? they wanted it more? not enough box entries?  whichever it will be ok cause we "go again" Leave Me Alone Crying GIF by Leroy Patterson

8 hours ago, daored said:

I do agree with the progress we have made as a club under Lee, and we have become an established championship club. However, Lee has brought these players in, he’s been backed financially by the board - the style of football has reduced but out league positions have improved.

The suspension of the season will help us , nobody would have expected Afobe to play in our final eight league games add in Wells and we’ve got possibly one of the best strike forces in the league. Lee has to find a way to get the best out of these two. 

Play creative football? Not part of LJ vocabulary.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Did you not expect it to continue?

Johnson is well past his "Best Before Date".

Now I know why I haven't missed football in the last three months.

Best before date! I'd have never bought the product in the first place

A team mirrors it's manager in the end.  We have little pace, little strength, little guile, little aggression, little appetite for a battle, little players. The number of times we get outdone by teams that are strong physically is obvious that we lack a physical presence. 

Same old story with Johnson full of shite in all the media pumped out in the build up and then no evidence in the game of any structure, plan, patterns of play etc. The wages on the bench today don’t bear thinking about and then you have Nagy, Henriksen and Weimann not even in the squad of 20. Lansdown please stop wasting your money on Johnson. 

I can see why LJ uses drones and a big screen to review tactics. I'm sure they help with his only tactic of smash it long to Fammy. When he goes off the second tactic employed is smash it long to no-one!! I just don't ever see any other patterns to our play!!

Archived