IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers v Bristol City Match Day 38

Septic Peg

19 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Afobe, Wells, and Palmer must all be fuming sat on the bench

I’m fuming on the seat at home, and so must be all the fans Who are watching 

8 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It’s mad isn’t it?

He one of the best centre backs in the league last season. 

The drop in form is mind boggling 

He was great alongside Webster. Maybe he just helped cover Kalas’s inadequacies. 

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

What has happened to him then Pete? So say before the lockdown his poor form was down to injury and lack of sharpness but we were told this week he was back to his best. 

Club always gonna say that mate. Generally I don’t listen to any of the club media output. MA & LJ in the week saying we look sharp, fit as fiddles, back to our best etc. Is all just soundbite stuff. Means nothing if we are gonna wait to 3-1 to bring on afobe and palmer and play wingers at Cm. 

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It’s mad isn’t it?

He one of the best centre backs in the league last season. 

The drop in form is mind boggling 

I don't think it is at all, and I don't think it's a drop in form particularly either, we play a system that makes it very very easy to exploit our weaknesses, that for different reasons lie at full back, both of our 1st choice full backs are susceptible to diagonal balls over the top. Hunt is poor positionally and is rarely in the right place, and JD is tiny. 

There is nothing wrong with this per se, but you have to therefore restrict the opportunities to get the time to play those crossfield balls. We don't we not only play 2 in the middle, we also stand off the opposition midfield and players at this level are more than capable of exploiting the space in behind our full backs adn can get crosses in, this means that Kalas and Baker are always under pressure and thus mistakes are more likely. 

We don't have Webby anymore who can bring the ball out of defence so we rely on a midfielder to drop deep to do that, again playing a 2 this means that we actually in possession often have only 1 in CM, making us more susceptible to losing possession in transition and being hit on the break. 

I would argue that almost all of our issues are not personnel related and directly relate to the system we play and the way we are set up by Johnson. 

In a nutshell.....

That was very disappointing and a poor team performance, no City player did themselves credit IMO.

Expected us to be rusty, but not totally seized-up. Blackburn looked sharper and fitter throughout.

We showed no sign of any quality or link-up play and there was little pace or creativity (other than a few glimpses from NE). We were scrappy throughout, and lacked options all over the pitch, Bentley was at fault for their first two goals. Other than gifting us a goal their keeper had no other involvement.

Trying desperately to look for positives.....there’s nothing like game-time and now we have a game under our belt, Benik back on the pitch, can’t play much worse, no obvious sign of any injuries.

Await the OTIB reaction.

Archived