Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Middlesbrough (a) - Saturday 15:00 - What Can We Expect?


Recommended Posts

What a difference a few months make.  Beating Cardiff away earlier this season cost Neil Warnock his job.  Losing to Cardiff at home cost Lee Johnson his job.  But some things reman constant....Bristol City playing teams managed by old adversary Neil Warnock.  Appointed a few weeks ago, when Jonathan Woodgate was inching them towards a real relegation scrap, Warnock has steadied the ship, albeit they still sit in 18th position, just 2 points ahead of Hull City.

image.png.a0ac5cf5157ece94f6f4d3ec9b48140e.png

The above table fails to take into account the fact that Wigan are due a 12 point deduction, so the gap could be wider in fairness.

As I said, Warnock has come in and steadied the ship in his first 4 games, two wins, two defeats, 6 vital points, albeit yet to taste victory at The Riverside.

F75DDEB7-8021-44BD-8ACD-3C22961CF4E5_1_201_a.jpeg.64eb3813361c06be09e006fc11a16d70.jpeg

How will they set up:

Typical Warnock sides of recent years have gone 4231, and we can see above that his 1st two games reverted to type, but the last two have deviated from his trusty methods, going 4132 and 352.

In the defeat to QPR at home, he retained the 4132 all game.

D002D892-E871-4B5A-814D-CC100EE77C87_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cd1e21ff28a08d572dfc39ad94ae3c2b.jpeg

In the win against Millwall at The New Den, he started 532, then added an extra midfielder, having taken the lead, to see the game out, scoring a second in the process

48A2FEA4-41AE-4DCA-83CF-6E61A176C2F8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ccb5cd03e10f850fcb56621fbfad6515.jpeg

No surprises that in 3 of the 4 games in charge Boro have not had much possession (31%, 53% the outlier v Hull, 38%, 43%).  There 5 goals have been classic Warnock in different ways:

Fletcher v Stoke - header from inswinging set-piece

Tavernier v Stoke - shot outside box after hopeful punt forward broke the defensive line

Assombalonga v Hull - penalty (Warnock seems to get a few)

Assombalonga v Millwall - breakaway from Fletcher who bundled over the left back and squared for a tap in

Fletcher v Millwall - another penalty

The Players:

GK - Dejan Stojanovic (26) - signed from Swiss team St Gallen in January.  3 clean sheets in 6 starts.

RWB - Djed Spence (19) - young full-back signed from Fulham in 2018, getting good game time this season.

LWB - Marvin Johnson (29) - former Oxford man usually found in Left Midfield or on either wing.  Quite aggressive but a bit of a play actor.  Will suit Warnock perfectly.

RCB - Dael Fry (22) - England u21 international tipped to be a Premier League player.  Come through the ranks and 100 appearances to his name.  Happy with the ball at his feet, but Ive always thought he lacks that necessary yard of pace to go all the way.

CB - Ryan Shotton (31) - player with plenty of Premier League Experience, and a long throw (another Warnock trait).  Whether his central role will see him venture forward we will have to wait and see, but it looks like he has been given that role based on Stats Zone throw-in pic (below).

image.thumb.png.14006fff45ddb5ce4c832ad687359c98.png

LCB - George Friend (32) - another experienced defender who can play Centre Back, Left Back or Wing-Back.  Rarely featured under Woodgate, but started to play again pre-Covid.  Nice left foot, a threat at set pieces too.

RCM - Paddy McNair (25) - ex Manchester United and Sunderland midfielder.  One to watch with 3rd man runs in behind the Centre Backs if their strikers try to drag ours short.

CM - Johnny Howson (32) - former Leeds and Norwich man.  Good midfielder at this level with a bit of everything.  Not one to give time on the ball around the box or in midfield where he can pull the strings.

LCM - George Saville (27) - ex-City loanee during 14/15 promotion season, who was a key part of a good Millwall side.  Nice on the ball, and added some steel since he left us.

CF - Ashley Fletcher (24) - former Manchester United whose loan to Barnsley opened the door for Marcus Rashford to burst on the scene. Can be a real handful at 6'4" with pace too.  Not a clinical finisher (famous last words) but top scorer with 12.

CF - Britt Assombalonga (27) - there's barely been a transfer window since summer 2013 where Britt hasn't been linked with City.  Strong, centre forward with perhaps a slightly worse goal record than you'd expect.  Our CBs will need to expect a lot of balls into feet or down the sides for him to roll / spin.

Other Players:

Aynsley Pears (GK) - son of long serving GK Steve Pears

Lewis Wing (CM) - good technical midfielder with an eye for a long shot

Adam Clayton (Bass U2) - another good midfielder who you don't want to let get his head up and spray passes around

Hayden Coulson (LB) - roving full-back who likes a dribble

Anfernee Dijksteel (RB) - former Barnsley full back linked with City last summer

Lukas Nmecha (CF) - young Man City loanee with a similar game to Che Adams

Patrick Roberts (RW) - ex-Man City and Celtic winger

Marcus Tavernier (LM) - young midfielder who's come through the ranks

How do we beat Boro:

You could change the question to "How do we beat Warnock"!

With Fulham playing Cardiff tonight, there is a chance that we might be on the beach tomorrow if Cardiff win.  If so, I think it will show!  A defeat might just dangle a carrot.  With Derby v Brentford tomorrow lunchtime, again that carrot might be dangling still.  Blackburn v West Brom and PNE v Forest kicking off at the same time make this weekend's fixtures a real tease.  But tonight's game is the crunch one.  You know Boro are gonna give 100% with relegation matters in hand, so we will need to match that effort should results be encouraging.  I hope Holden can drum into them this might be in front of a new manager and that they are playing for their futures in some respects

We will have to cope with Assombalonga and Fletcher's pace and power too.  I think Holden's back 3/5 will be seen again tomorrow, and it will match up Boro nicely.  Will be interesting if Baker is injured, as one more could see Taylor Moore included.

We do need to keep the ball better than versus Hull.  There were good signs, but in the final third we turn it over far too easily.  We lack a bit of patience, rarely recycling the ball side to side whilst we wait for the right ball.  Hopefully getting Paterson on the ball in those areas will help.  Think Weimann will be replaced though.

Prediction:

1-1 Draw.  Lacklustre affair but bound to be some controversy somewhere.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boro 1-0 up in the 89th, bloke goes down injured like he's been shot.

Physio on for 10 minutes.

5 minutes added time, Colin goes mental at fourth official.

City hit bar with last kick of the match, ref gives goal. Colin punches ref.

Colin sacked 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, myol'man said:

Boro 1-0 up in the 89th, bloke goes down injured like he's been shot.

Physio on for 10 minutes.

5 minutes added time, Colin goes mental at fourth official.

City hit bar with last kick of the match, ref gives goal. Colin punches ref.

Colin sacked 

Many a true word spoken in jest????

🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, myol'man said:

Boro 1-0 up in the 89th, bloke goes down injured like he's been shot.

Physio on for 10 minutes.

5 minutes added time, Colin goes mental at fourth official.

City hit bar with last kick of the match, ref gives goal. Colin punches ref.

Colin sacked 

Good God I hope not...I don’t want him sacked as there will be more chance he will end up here! 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What a difference a few months make.  Beating Cardiff away earlier this season cost Neil Warnock his job.  Losing to Cardiff at home cost Lee Johnson his job.  But some things reman constant....Bristol City playing teams managed by old adversary Neil Warnock.  Appointed a few weeks ago, when Jonathan Woodgate was inching them towards a real relegation scrap, Warnock has steadied the ship, albeit they still sit in 18th position, just 2 points ahead of Hull City.

image.png.a0ac5cf5157ece94f6f4d3ec9b48140e.png

The above table fails to take into account the fact that Wigan are due a 12 point deduction, so the gap could be wider in fairness.

As I said, Warnock has come in and steadied the ship in his first 4 games, two wins, two defeats, 6 vital points, albeit yet to taste victory at The Riverside.

F75DDEB7-8021-44BD-8ACD-3C22961CF4E5_1_201_a.jpeg.64eb3813361c06be09e006fc11a16d70.jpeg

How will they set up:

Typical Warnock sides of recent years have gone 4231, and we can see above that his 1st two games reverted to type, but the last two have deviated from his trusty methods, going 4132 and 352.

In the defeat to QPR at home, he retained the 4132 all game.

D002D892-E871-4B5A-814D-CC100EE77C87_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cd1e21ff28a08d572dfc39ad94ae3c2b.jpeg

In the win against Millwall at The New Den, he started 532, then added an extra midfielder, having taken the lead, to see the game out, scoring a second in the process

48A2FEA4-41AE-4DCA-83CF-6E61A176C2F8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ccb5cd03e10f850fcb56621fbfad6515.jpeg

No surprises that in 3 of the 4 games in charge Boro have not had much possession (31%, 53% the outlier v Hull, 38%, 43%).  There 5 goals have been classic Warnock in different ways:

Fletcher v Stoke - header from inswinging set-piece

Tavernier v Stoke - shot outside box after hopeful punt forward broke the defensive line

Assombalonga v Hull - penalty (Warnock seems to get a few)

Assombalonga v Millwall - breakaway from Fletcher who bundled over the left back and squared for a tap in

Fletcher v Millwall - another penalty

The Players:

GK - Dejan Stojanovic (26) - signed from Swiss team St Gallen in January.  3 clean sheets in 6 starts.

RWB - Djed Spence (19) - young full-back signed from Fulham in 2018, getting good game time this season.

LWB - Marvin Johnson (29) - former Oxford man usually found in Left Midfield or on either wing.  Quite aggressive but a bit of a play actor.  Will suit Warnock perfectly.

RCB - Dael Fry (22) - England u21 international tipped to be a Premier League player.  Come through the ranks and 100 appearances to his name.  Happy with the ball at his feet, but Ive always thought he lacks that necessary yard of pace to go all the way.

CB - Ryan Shotton (31) - player with plenty of Premier League Experience, and a long throw (another Warnock trait).  Whether his central role will see him venture forward we will have to wait and see, but it looks like he has been given that role based on Stats Zone throw-in pic (below).

image.thumb.png.14006fff45ddb5ce4c832ad687359c98.png

LCB - George Friend (32) - another experienced defender who can play Centre Back, Left Back or Wing-Back.  Rarely featured under Woodgate, but started to play again pre-Covid.  Nice left foot, a threat at set pieces too.

RCM - Paddy McNair (25) - ex Manchester United and Sunderland midfielder.  One to watch with 3rd man runs in behind the Centre Backs if their strikers try to drag ours short.

CM - Johnny Howson (32) - former Leeds and Norwich man.  Good midfielder at this level with a bit of everything.  Not one to give time on the ball around the box or in midfield where he can pull the strings.

LCM - George Saville (27) - ex-City loanee during 14/15 promotion season, who was a key part of a good Millwall side.  Nice on the ball, and added some steel since he left us.

CF - Ashley Fletcher (24) - former Manchester United whose loan to Barnsley opened the door for Marcus Rashford to burst on the scene. Can be a real handful at 6'4" with pace too.  Not a clinical finisher (famous last words) but top scorer with 12.

CF - Britt Assombalonga (27) - there's barely been a transfer window since summer 2013 where Britt hasn't been linked with City.  Strong, centre forward with perhaps a slightly worse goal record than you'd expect.  Our CBs will need to expect a lot of balls into feet or down the sides for him to roll / spin.

Other Players:

Aynsley Pears (GK) - son of long serving GK Steve Pears

Lewis Wing (CM) - good technical midfielder with an eye for a long shot

Adam Clayton (Bass U2) - another good midfielder who you don't want to let get his head up and spray passes around

Hayden Coulson (LB) - roving full-back who likes a dribble

Anfernee Dijksteel (RB) - former Barnsley full back linked with City last summer

Lukas Nmecha (CF) - young Man City loanee with a similar game to Che Adams

Patrick Roberts (RW) - ex-Man City and Celtic winger

Marcus Tavernier (LM) - young midfielder who's come through the ranks

How do we beat Boro:

You could change the question to "How do we beat Warnock"!

With Fulham playing Cardiff tonight, there is a chance that we might be on the beach tomorrow if Cardiff win.  If so, I think it will show!  A defeat might just dangle a carrot.  With Derby v Brentford tomorrow lunchtime, again that carrot might be dangling still.  Blackburn v West Brom and PNE v Forest kicking off at the same time make this weekend's fixtures a real tease.  But tonight's game is the crunch one.  You know Boro are gonna give 100% with relegation matters in hand, so we will need to match that effort should results be encouraging.  I hope Holden can drum into them this might be in front of a new manager and that they are playing for their futures in some respects

We will have to cope with Assombalonga and Fletcher's pace and power too.  I think Holden's back 3/5 will be seen again tomorrow, and it will match up Boro nicely.  Will be interesting if Baker is injured, as one more could see Taylor Moore included.

We do need to keep the ball better than versus Hull.  There were good signs, but in the final third we turn it over far too easily.  We lack a bit of patience, rarely recycling the ball side to side whilst we wait for the right ball.  Hopefully getting Paterson on the ball in those areas will help.  Think Weimann will be replaced though.

Prediction:

1-1 Draw.  Lacklustre affair but bound to be some controversy somewhere.

Yet to taste victory at the riverside, ---  See what you've done?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We all know deep down we’re not good enough . Even if all the results go our way tomorrow 

I know, I know....but it’s City, will probably drag it out to the final game v PNE now....aaaarrggghhhhh 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I know, I know....but it’s City, will probably drag it out to the final game v PNE now....aaaarrggghhhhh 😂

Getting to the play off final . Brentford hitting the post 6 times . Then kalas hits a thunderbastard straight into the postage stamp. 
Holden pulls off a di matteo .

camera pans LJ in the crowd 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, myol'man said:

Boro 1-0 up in the 89th, bloke goes down injured like he's been shot.

Physio on for 10 minutes.

If there's an injury in the 89th minute then only one minute of normal time lost to the injury - so five more minutes starting 90+9 might well be reasonable? 

I do expect Boro players to sit down and rest if they are ahead, as Warnock's teams Cardiff and Rotherham both did this.

But we have a good record at Boro, and like us they do better away than at home - it won't be a classic but I fancy us to win by a single goal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Getting to the play off final . Brentford hitting the post 6 times . Then kalas hits a thunderbastard straight into the postage stamp. 
Holden pulls off a di matteo .

camera pans LJ in the crowd 

is that allowed has the 45 degree been relaxed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What a difference a few months make.  Beating Cardiff away earlier this season cost Neil Warnock his job.  Losing to Cardiff at home cost Lee Johnson his job.  But some things reman constant....Bristol City playing teams managed by old adversary Neil Warnock.  Appointed a few weeks ago, when Jonathan Woodgate was inching them towards a real relegation scrap, Warnock has steadied the ship, albeit they still sit in 18th position, just 2 points ahead of Hull City.

image.png.a0ac5cf5157ece94f6f4d3ec9b48140e.png

The above table fails to take into account the fact that Wigan are due a 12 point deduction, so the gap could be wider in fairness.

As I said, Warnock has come in and steadied the ship in his first 4 games, two wins, two defeats, 6 vital points, albeit yet to taste victory at The Riverside.

F75DDEB7-8021-44BD-8ACD-3C22961CF4E5_1_201_a.jpeg.64eb3813361c06be09e006fc11a16d70.jpeg

How will they set up:

Typical Warnock sides of recent years have gone 4231, and we can see above that his 1st two games reverted to type, but the last two have deviated from his trusty methods, going 4132 and 352.

In the defeat to QPR at home, he retained the 4132 all game.

D002D892-E871-4B5A-814D-CC100EE77C87_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cd1e21ff28a08d572dfc39ad94ae3c2b.jpeg

In the win against Millwall at The New Den, he started 532, then added an extra midfielder, having taken the lead, to see the game out, scoring a second in the process

48A2FEA4-41AE-4DCA-83CF-6E61A176C2F8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ccb5cd03e10f850fcb56621fbfad6515.jpeg

No surprises that in 3 of the 4 games in charge Boro have not had much possession (31%, 53% the outlier v Hull, 38%, 43%).  There 5 goals have been classic Warnock in different ways:

Fletcher v Stoke - header from inswinging set-piece

Tavernier v Stoke - shot outside box after hopeful punt forward broke the defensive line

Assombalonga v Hull - penalty (Warnock seems to get a few)

Assombalonga v Millwall - breakaway from Fletcher who bundled over the left back and squared for a tap in

Fletcher v Millwall - another penalty

The Players:

GK - Dejan Stojanovic (26) - signed from Swiss team St Gallen in January.  3 clean sheets in 6 starts.

RWB - Djed Spence (19) - young full-back signed from Fulham in 2018, getting good game time this season.

LWB - Marvin Johnson (29) - former Oxford man usually found in Left Midfield or on either wing.  Quite aggressive but a bit of a play actor.  Will suit Warnock perfectly.

RCB - Dael Fry (22) - England u21 international tipped to be a Premier League player.  Come through the ranks and 100 appearances to his name.  Happy with the ball at his feet, but Ive always thought he lacks that necessary yard of pace to go all the way.

CB - Ryan Shotton (31) - player with plenty of Premier League Experience, and a long throw (another Warnock trait).  Whether his central role will see him venture forward we will have to wait and see, but it looks like he has been given that role based on Stats Zone throw-in pic (below).

image.thumb.png.14006fff45ddb5ce4c832ad687359c98.png

LCB - George Friend (32) - another experienced defender who can play Centre Back, Left Back or Wing-Back.  Rarely featured under Woodgate, but started to play again pre-Covid.  Nice left foot, a threat at set pieces too.

RCM - Paddy McNair (25) - ex Manchester United and Sunderland midfielder.  One to watch with 3rd man runs in behind the Centre Backs if their strikers try to drag ours short.

CM - Johnny Howson (32) - former Leeds and Norwich man.  Good midfielder at this level with a bit of everything.  Not one to give time on the ball around the box or in midfield where he can pull the strings.

LCM - George Saville (27) - ex-City loanee during 14/15 promotion season, who was a key part of a good Millwall side.  Nice on the ball, and added some steel since he left us.

CF - Ashley Fletcher (24) - former Manchester United whose loan to Barnsley opened the door for Marcus Rashford to burst on the scene. Can be a real handful at 6'4" with pace too.  Not a clinical finisher (famous last words) but top scorer with 12.

CF - Britt Assombalonga (27) - there's barely been a transfer window since summer 2013 where Britt hasn't been linked with City.  Strong, centre forward with perhaps a slightly worse goal record than you'd expect.  Our CBs will need to expect a lot of balls into feet or down the sides for him to roll / spin.

Other Players:

Aynsley Pears (GK) - son of long serving GK Steve Pears

Lewis Wing (CM) - good technical midfielder with an eye for a long shot

Adam Clayton (Bass U2) - another good midfielder who you don't want to let get his head up and spray passes around

Hayden Coulson (LB) - roving full-back who likes a dribble

Anfernee Dijksteel (RB) - former Barnsley full back linked with City last summer

Lukas Nmecha (CF) - young Man City loanee with a similar game to Che Adams

Patrick Roberts (RW) - ex-Man City and Celtic winger

Marcus Tavernier (LM) - young midfielder who's come through the ranks

How do we beat Boro:

You could change the question to "How do we beat Warnock"!

With Fulham playing Cardiff tonight, there is a chance that we might be on the beach tomorrow if Cardiff win.  If so, I think it will show!  A defeat might just dangle a carrot.  With Derby v Brentford tomorrow lunchtime, again that carrot might be dangling still.  Blackburn v West Brom and PNE v Forest kicking off at the same time make this weekend's fixtures a real tease.  But tonight's game is the crunch one.  You know Boro are gonna give 100% with relegation matters in hand, so we will need to match that effort should results be encouraging.  I hope Holden can drum into them this might be in front of a new manager and that they are playing for their futures in some respects

We will have to cope with Assombalonga and Fletcher's pace and power too.  I think Holden's back 3/5 will be seen again tomorrow, and it will match up Boro nicely.  Will be interesting if Baker is injured, as one more could see Taylor Moore included.

We do need to keep the ball better than versus Hull.  There were good signs, but in the final third we turn it over far too easily.  We lack a bit of patience, rarely recycling the ball side to side whilst we wait for the right ball.  Hopefully getting Paterson on the ball in those areas will help.  Think Weimann will be replaced though.

Prediction:

1-1 Draw.  Lacklustre affair but bound to be some controversy somewhere.

We were very closely linked to Ashley Fletcher in the recent past so that’s their front two that could have been lining up in the City team.

There is bags of experience in their squad , we need to outrun , outfight and outsmart them .  :blink:

If we turn up I believe we could take at least a point but possibly all three.

Over to you Deano.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, myol'man said:

Boro 1-0 up in the 89th, bloke goes down injured like he's been shot.

Physio on for 10 minutes.

5 minutes added time, Colin goes mental at fourth official.

City hit bar with last kick of the match, ref gives goal. Colin punches ref.

Colin sacked 

To be honest i'd imagine the odds actually being quite short on this

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Very tough game against a Warnock fuelled Middlesbrough side, I see a 2-1 loss

Nah it will be an away win for us. A great start by us and going in at half time 1-0 with a fam goal. Second half we go absolutely ballistic and score 4 more. Yes 4 more and win 5-0.

My 1st bottle of red is now empty and about to open  2nd.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Nah it will be an away win for us. A great start by us and going in at half time 1-0 with a fam goal. Second half we go absolutely ballistic and score 4 more. Yes 4 more and win 5-0.

My 1st bottle of red is now empty and about to open  2nd.

It's not even 5pm in Aus?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, City oz said:

Nah it will be an away win for us. A great start by us and going in at half time 1-0 with a fam goal. Second half we go absolutely ballistic and score 4 more. Yes 4 more and win 5-0.

My 1st bottle of red is now empty and about to open  2nd.

Fair play. I'd need 5 or 6 bottles to have that level of confidence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Getting to the play off final . Brentford hitting the post 6 times . Then kalas hits a thunderbastard straight into the postage stamp. 
Holden pulls off a di matteo .

camera pans LJ in the crowd 

 

80D9C45E-228E-413F-9771-8123DEBD7B1E.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...