IGNORED

Semenyo progress

Lez

Just now, JonDolman said:

He is progressing nicely. It was a mistake to not loan him out for the whole season but I'm confident he will keep improving. Who knows how good he may become. 

Makes you wonder what the back up plan re “club developed” player was doesn’t it!

• Admin
55 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He is progressing nicely. It was a mistake to not loan him out for the whole season but I'm confident he will keep improving. Who knows how good he may become. 

Where have you witnessed this progression though? 

He certainly hasn't done it for us or Sunderland.

I'm really not wanting to turn this into a player bashing thread, I think he's been poorly managed and needs to follow those players who have been playing Vanarama football and get him game time in competitve mens football 

4 hours ago, Jacki said:

I wonder if Semenyo will turn out to be another John Akinde. Akinde was highly rated at one time as well but he’s never really done it above League Two. 

Akinde was a far better player than Semenyo and never got the chance that he should have here.

Semenyo, still a teenager in the games he played for us this season, has looked talented at times but obviously very raw and not ready yet = “he’s crap and he’s not going to make it.”

Massengo, also a teenager, shown some talent in less than a handful of matches, also looks raw and not ready yet = “Wow he’s the messiah, look at his hair, he’s going to be the best young player we’ve ever had, its a shame we’re just holding on for him until Chelsea buy him for £20million.” 

How people can completely write off a 20 year old is absurd, not every youngster is going to be like Mason Greenwood. Look at how well Walsh and Morrell have developed into potential first teamers just by actually getting games, and they are 23. He should have been allowed to finish that season at Newport, a gross bit of mismanagement. Also, the Sunderland move was not a good one, they should have given him one where there was less competition for places where he would play more. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Harry Kane at I think about the same age as Semenyo could not get in the Leicester side in the championship.

Not saying Semenyo is as good as Kane was at the same age, but it shows how far players can go from 20 to mid to late 20s. 

So you're saying Semenyo for the Euros?

When he’s started games, I form the opinion from watching him, he didn’t really know what he was doing, where he was supposed to be. The games passed him by, and for the most part he looked a bit ‘dis-interested’. Now that could be frustration, as he has been told to play a certain way, which doesn’t suit his game, or he was out of position. Perhaps, he isn’t good enough at this level?

When he’s come on, he’s ran around for a bit, which we know Johnson used to love players doing. But what’s the point if you’re not closing the opposition down, or making them make mistakes. Then the game was just passing him by. He was on his heels a lot, wasn’t reading the game much. Not really adding anything new and fresh. 

He needs a league 1 loan where he can play 30+ games. Then you can see if he has what it takes to step up against far quicker, wiser defenders in the championship. Maybe that’s a no, and he, and we, accept he might not make it with city. No embarrassment in that, he could still have a very good career. 

He did well as Newport and Sunderland fans were happy with how he performed up there. 

I think next season he needs another loan to a league one club where he will hopefully be playing every game and not just 30 minutes here and there like Sunderland. 

He is still young and is still learning, you have to remember he came from SGS college into a professional environment which is going to be a completely different level. 

He has no academy upbringing and basically had interest from Chelsea on raw ability. Need to look at him like Kodjia who was 25-26 when he arrived. He needs time, coaching and some minutes and also find his position. Maybe he never becomes a champ player or higher but think many being overly harsh on him. Not every 20 year old has the same experience and upbringing. We just need to decide how patient we are willing to be with him. Might not click until he is 23-24. 

4 hours ago, Red white and red said:

When he’s started games, I form the opinion from watching him, he didn’t really know what he was doing, where he was supposed to be. The games passed him by, and for the most part he looked a bit ‘dis-interested’. Now that could be frustration, as he has been told to play a certain way, which doesn’t suit his game, or he was out of position. Perhaps, he isn’t good enough at this level?

When he’s come on, he’s ran around for a bit, which we know Johnson used to love players doing. But what’s the point if you’re not closing the opposition down, or making them make mistakes. Then the game was just passing him by. He was on his heels a lot, wasn’t reading the game much. Not really adding anything new and fresh. 

He needs a league 1 loan where he can play 30+ games. Then you can see if he has what it takes to step up against far quicker, wiser defenders in the championship. Maybe that’s a no, and he, and we, accept he might not make it with city. No embarrassment in that, he could still have a very good career. 

To be honest, more experienced players looked lost at times, not sure what they were doing and where they were supposed to be…imagine being a rookie amongst that lot!

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see anything to suggest that his development is "progressing nicely". 

For all the talk of the lack of an academy grounding, if you're a natural you should at least look like you know how to play football. And he doesn't. 

25 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I can't see anything to suggest that his development is "progressing nicely". 

For all the talk of the lack of an academy grounding, if you're a natural you should at least look like you know how to play football. And he doesn't. 

I have to agree. He hasn't even shown flashes of being good enough for Tier Two.

Lots of players show early promise that subsequently fades. Presumably, Nicky Hunt looked pretty decent as a very young man.

I really hope this isn't the case with AS and he will just develop and reclaim the form that marked him out as promising.

But if he doesn't, he won't be alone. Not every early blossoming survives.

5 hours ago, Red white and red said:

I certainly agree with your observation in the Reading “sub” game...he looked lost.  But he’s only played 362 minutes for us this season, less than 300 in the Champ.  He did “ok” (6/10 in my eyes) v PNE and Brentford.

C5D0336F-233C-421B-9EEA-DCAD3B2AF293.thumb.jpeg.ec21baf8fd692953d364ee8b233abc8d.jpeg

He’s raw undoubtedly.  He’s a physical specimen to quote @Olé, it’s not hard to imagine him demolishing teams at Academy level, and even at Lg2 where a bit of power and pace will get you quite a way.  He needs to develop the finer arts of the game.

I tend to agree.   Needs to play.  Might need to work out his best position.  Not unusual for a young striker to have to be a wider forward in early part of career.  Take a look at Tyrese Campbell....he’s a good barometer for a powerful 20 year old making his way in the Championship.  Raw too.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Gone from Bath sub to too good for Bath.

Newport sub to too good for them according to some fans, who were gutted he was leaving. 

Gone to Sunderland and took a few games but they started to rate him at the end.

That's progression from Vanarama South to league one.

If he had not progressed then he's still be being loaned to Bath.

Sorry, but that is just utter bollocks re Sunderland.

He started just 1 game for them in the period between going on loan in January & the season ending in March, it was away to the gas, they lost (many fans reckon it was the worst they played all season).

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

No not bollocks at all. My Rovers mate said Semenyo was quality and Sunderland fans very positive about his performance.

So he had a very good game in league one. He's progressing nicely it seems.

So he had a “good game” against the gas, according to your “mate”.

That’s all right then, the fact he was a rarely used sub in his 2 months there apart from that (just 94 minutes in 6 sub appearances) suggests otherwise.

Everything I read on social media from Sunderland fans suggested they were desperate to sign Bailey Wright, Semenyo not so much..

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So Hinds take Afobe's bench seat, not Semenyo. Do we read anything into that?

Semenyo isn’t eligible to play (due to his Sunderland loan) & with Pereira & Palmer both injured & Williams suspended, we don’t have anyone else.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Semenyo isn’t eligible to play (due to his Sunderland loan) & with Pereira & Palmer both injured & Williams suspended, we don’t have anyone else.

Correct, Hinds 8 minutes v Brentford in 17/18 qualifies him as having to be picked ahead of any of the returning loanees.

Archived