IGNORED

Congratulations Luke Ayling

Redland

32 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Are you trying to undermine every argument you ever make? This is a remarkable statement. In fact it’s so laughable I’m not sure I believe that you believe it. 

Can you imagine if a fact checking site checked your claim that Pato is a level above Freeman!!!! ????

What the hell are you talking about? Fact checking site? It’s subjective.

Let me quantify my opinion that Pato is a level above Freeman... How many outstanding games did Freeman have for us, once we were promoted?? I can’t remember any. He flattered to deceive. Whereas, Patterson has had several great games for us. 

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Total nonsense. He could'nt beat a player and every time he tried he lost the ball.

This is what I remember. I remember once in particular, Luke at home to Blackburn attacking the SS, Dolman side, he does his inevitable and predictable step over shuffle thing, he shifts the ball toward the line, but failing to create sufficient room/fox the defender he then crosses limply behind the goal for a goal kick.

The crowd behind the goal sat quietly in embarrassed silence. No jeers, no groans; just a bit of a palm-covering-the-face cringe. It was painful.

This was before Johnson arrived. 

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

What the hell are you talking about? Fact checking site? It’s subjective.

Let me quantify my opinion that Pato is a level above Freeman... How many outstanding games did Freeman have for us, once we were promoted?? I can’t remember any. He flattered to deceive. Whereas, Patterson has had several great games for us. 

It’s subjective in the same way I could suggest that Bobby Reid is a better striker than Thierry Henry.

Ok. Allow me to counter. Freeman is a Premier League player (quite literally a league above). He cost £8m. He was QPR’s POTS as soon as he left LJ’s tutelage. Coincidence?

And you’re weighing him up against a player that’d split the fan base 50/50 if we were trying to decide whether to offer him a new contract or not and doesn’t turn up 75% of the time. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s subjective in the same way I could suggest that Bobby Reid is a better striker than Thierry Henry.

Ok. Allow me to counter. Freeman is a Premier League player (quite literally a league above). He cost £8m. He was QPR’s POTS as soon as he left LJ’s tutelage. Coincidence?

And you’re weighing him up against a player that’d split the fan base 50/50 if we were trying to decide whether to offer him a new contract or not and doesn’t turn up 75% of the time. 

Freeman can cross the ball into the box, that's about it. Corners and free kicks allow him time without pressure from defenders. He used to hang on to the ball way too much, doing that 19 80s step over shuffle that foxed a few in L1 but not at this level. Johnson, I assume, wanted one or two touch football and the ball being moved around quickly. Patterson is better at this, he has a superior football brain.

QPR had Matt Smith up front for Luke to wang it over at. He was good at that. Johnson wanted him or us to play differently. I do wonder if he "managed" Freeman properly though. 

18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It's an interesting discussion. I would argue that Paterson is probably more talented than Freeman but inconsistent.

Freeman hasn't played that much for Sheffield United and I would argue they bought him not as a star number 10 and primary creative outlet, but as another 'club in the bag' in the same way they kept hold of Leon Clarke and Billy Sharp; neither of them probably Prem quality but have useful attributes. Freeman being left footed, a good age, decent dead ball player and solid midfielder who could improve further was probably seen as a sensible signing who had desirable attributes for the squad. 

It's subjective as you say of course. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's an interesting discussion. I would argue that Paterson is probably more talented than Freeman but inconsistent.

Freeman hasn't played that much for Sheffield United and I would argue they bought him not as a star number 10 and primary creative outlet, but as another 'club in the bag' in the same way they kept hold of Leon Clarke and Billy Sharp; neither of them probably Prem quality but have useful attributes. Freeman being left footed, a good age, decent dead ball player and solid midfielder who could improve further was probably seen as a sensible signing who had desirable attributes for the squad. 

It's subjective as you say of course. 

@Riaz

@Fordy62

i think with this discussion we need to decide whether we are comparing Bristol City Championship Luke Freeman vs Jamie Paterson, or a post-Bristol City Luke Freeman.

i think that sways the argument.

I think Pato is our most technically gifted player....and he’s done really well since returning from Derby.  But for 10 minutes on Saturday he had a stroll....and that 10 minutes costs us the game.  Not saying it was all his fault, just we looked pretty “together” as a team up to the half hour mark.  Swansea used to drinks break to change their press of Smith and Pato, and Pato saw less of the ball.  At that point we needed him to work harder to find space, but he didn’t, plus when we lost the ball he didn’t work as hard defensively.

He is someone I’m definitely happy to see next season.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Riaz

@Fordy62

i think with this discussion we need to decide whether we are comparing Bristol City Championship Luke Freeman vs Jamie Paterson, or a post-Bristol City Luke Freeman.

i think that sways the argument.

I think Pato is our most technically gifted player....and he’s done really well since returning from Derby.  But for 10 minutes on Saturday he had a stroll....and that 10 minutes costs us the game.  Not saying it was all his fault, just we looked pretty “together” as a team up to the half hour mark.  Swansea used to drinks break to change their press of Smith and Pato, and Pato saw less of the ball.  At that point we needed him to work harder to find space, but he didn’t, plus when we lost the ball he didn’t work as hard defensively.

He is someone I’m definitely happy to see next season.

I agree and i think the term "had a stroll" sums up the main weakness in his game.

Luke has been a big player for us this season, always liked Ayling since he joined Leeds.

Ayling's game has improved under our coach Bielsa although that is the case with all our squad. Marcelo has taken on a group of players who were a mid-table side (with a few new signings) & turned them into a championship title winning team, in the end we've romped the league, three more points v Charlton on Wednesday would takes us onto 93 points maintaining the average of two points per game

On 20/07/2020 at 12:26, Davefevs said:

Freeman likely to be moving on this summer, with Sheffield Utd looking like they’ve tied up John Swift for £3.5m!!

Is that fee a combination of Covid and / or Reading’s financial state? 

Read that Reading may now have blocked the move- maybe they're looking to hold out for more cash etc. Bidding war?

Archived