IGNORED

Korey Smith

BCFC_Josh

22 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He has been a very good performer for City but lately, due to two serious injuries, he has been more like a 5/10.

We need a refreshed midfield now.

Boro away he was a 9/10. His performance disguised our lack of midfield and was the base of our victory.  A lot of his work goes unnoticed and in a few months there will be a thread saying how much we miss him 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The big question for the new manager is how will he set up and what are the roles of the players in that system.

Korey is often talked about as a DM, the deepest player protecting the CBs, but when Pack was here, he was the energy in front of Marlon.

Nagy would be better in a double pivot rather than as the single deepest midfielder.  His defensive work needs help, so he is not defensively effective if you play him alone in there.  Morrell would work in a double pivot.

A lot for the new man to fathom out.

Nagy is not a holding defensive midfielder....in my opinion he should be a box to box he has been most effective when both dictating play and making forward runs.

Him in a holding role will not work as 1 he is not defsjwivly strong enough and 2 it doesnt play to his strengths.

Players come and go all the time. And the majority of players that leave has no affect on me . Whilst I think it’s time for Korey to move on and mentioned earlier in the thread IMO Portsmouth would be a great move for him . Proper club . I will miss him he’s been a fantastic player for us . He’s been our captain he’s a leader and he is genuine nice bloke . 
He’s here he’s there he’s every ******* where 

What a player he's been over the years for us and deserves praise but this season he just hasn't been fit enough(Most of the squad to be fair) to hold a regular starting line up,It's just one of those things and time comes to an end. Hopefully Portsmouth would be a ideal club for him,I wish him luck because he's one player you can't fault on and off the field.

I'd love us to keep Smith but I guess what it boils down to is we have four midfielders under contract for next season, all of whom are thought to be good enough to be in the squad, but, as others have said, we don't have an outright defensive midfielder. I think Smith, well as he has done, Nagy and Massengo have all struggled at times with doing a defensive role that does not suit them.

I don't know loads about Morrell but, unless he is a natural anchor (which I don't think he is) it's definitely something we lack.

As an aside, it's an odd thing but, whilst he wasn't our best player and it wasn't our best time, the number of times over the years that I've thought "If only we had a Kalifa Cisse-type player..." far outstrip the number of times I've thought the same about any other City player. We could do with a Cisse right now...

2 hours ago, Lez said:

Nagy is not a holding defensive midfielder....in my opinion he should be a box to box he has been most effective when both dictating play and making forward runs.

Him in a holding role will not work as 1 he is not defsjwivly strong enough and 2 it doesnt play to his strengths.

That’s what I said!  You copying my homework and changing the words around?

At least don’t make it so obvious next time, eh? ??‍♂️

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd love us to keep Smith but I guess what it boils down to is we have four midfielders under contract for next season, all of whom are thought to be good enough to be in the squad, but, as others have said, we don't have an outright defensive midfielder. I think Smith, well as he has done, Nagy and Massengo have all struggled at times with doing a defensive role that does not suit them.

I don't know loads about Morrell but, unless he is a natural anchor (which I don't think he is) it's definitely something we lack.

As an aside, it's an odd thing but, whilst he wasn't our best player and it wasn't our best time, the number of times over the years that I've thought "If only we had a Kalifa Cisse-type player..." far outstrip the number of times I've thought the same about any other City player. We could do with a Cisse right now...

Morrell is the most natural protector of the 2 CBs, either as part of a pair or on his own.  But he can be a progressive midfielder too.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

My fear remains that we don't have physically dominant midfielders. Kory is the closest thing we have and if he goes, we will need to recruit and that might lead to limitations in playing time for our rising stars.

I hope Korey Smith get a new two year contract.  He is still a very effective player and would probably be a decent right back under CH.  He's also a good guy who contributes to team spirit and we haven't got many established players who have a close affinity with the Club and fans.  That team spirit factor is always a factor with successful teams.  I  would rather move on Nagy as, unfortunately, I don't think he will settle into Championship football.  

4 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I hope Korey Smith get a new two year contract.  He is still a very effective player and would probably be a decent right back under CH.  He's also a good guy who contributes to team spirit and we haven't got many established players who have a close affinity with the Club and fans.  That team spirit factor is always a factor with successful teams.  I  would rather move on Nagy as, unfortunately, I don't think he will settle into Championship football.  

Every reason why a fan won't make it in football management is contained in the post above!

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Every reason why a fan won't make it in football management is contained in the post above!

I knew I had forgotten something, must post that application of mine before CH is appointed.  

Instead of the pointless condescension, I'd be interested in your reasoning.

So you don't think retaining a 29 midfielder who plays the defensive midfield role better than any other current City midfielder, aside from quite possibly Morrell, is a reasonable perspective?  I assume from your reply that you don't believe players who contribute to  team spirit are a key factor in successful sides?  On that point you are not disagreeing with me but you at odds with the likes of Sean Dyche and Chris Wilder.

A lot riding on Morrell and Walsh, when we all know League one to championship is a big jump. To a championship looking to get promoted next season is an even bigger jump. 

I’m hoping that they both do get up Championship standard but I think we will still need to buy another midfielder in the mould of Smith but with a bit more goal scoring ability. 

Smith will always be one of my favourites, but believe it’s time to leave. 

I know we are in Covid times but at least it’s not just us, it will also affect the teams we are trying to buy from as well. 

29 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Can't think it would be a 2 year deal, can only imagine it would be 1 year and could quite easily leave with another club offering 2 years

18 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

A lot riding on Morrell and Walsh, when we all know League one to championship is a big jump. To a championship looking to get promoted next season is an even bigger jump. 

I’m hoping that they both do get up Championship standard but I think we will still need to buy another midfielder in the mould of Smith but with a bit more goal scoring ability. 

Smith will always be one of my favourites, but believe it’s time to leave. 

I know we are in Covid times but at least it’s not just us, it will also affect the teams we are trying to buy from as well. 

Yeah well said.

We know how long it took our excellent promotion squad to settle to the Championship, so pinning too much hope on Walsh and Morrell is quite premature I think even after their rave reviews on loan  - although of course I hope they have an impact.

Hopefully they're in an around the squad, but I think two quality midfielders are essential this summer if we're serious.

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

My fear remains that we don't have physically dominant midfielders. Kory is the closest thing we have and if he goes, we will need to recruit and that might lead to limitations in playing time for our rising stars.

I agree but I think the problem lies in your words "closest thing we have". Korey isn't really a naturally physically dominant midfielder and he isn't really a holding midfielder. To my mind, he is a box to box midfielder who has been utilised as a holding player in the absence of other viable options. I think we need a physically dominant midfielder who can hold naturally and the issue then is we've got Nagy, Massengo, Walsh and Morrell under contra so do we keep six midfielders - further blocking opportunities for rising stars, try to move someone else on or move on the player who is out of contract? And I suspect the thinking will be to go for the third option...

I'd offer him a one year contract: right now he's not as strong as he was before the injuries, but he remains an experienced, clever and tactically useful player.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of trying him in defence: less space to cover, less energy drained (at least as CB). Not ideal, but with the problems we could find in the market due to Covid, high prices, etc. ...

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree but I think the problem lies in your words "closest thing we have". Korey isn't really a naturally physically dominant midfielder and he isn't really a holding midfielder. To my mind, he is a box to box midfielder who has been utilised as a holding player in the absence of other viable options. I think we need a physically dominant midfielder who can hold naturally and the issue then is we've got Nagy, Massengo, Walsh and Morrell under contra so do we keep six midfielders - further blocking opportunities for rising stars, try to move someone else on or move on the player who is out of contract? And I suspect the thinking will be to go for the third option...

Our other midfielders have yet to endure a full season of Championship football, where they are first team regulars. Kory can cover any midfield position and not look out of place. He is the devil you know - a free transfer addition may not be. Kory is settled, popular and of first rate character - an ideal club captain.

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

We need to find our 'peak' Marvin Elliot for the middle of the park. Someone to protect, but with the awareness and technical ability to launch quick attacks and counter attacks. Someone who is preferably over 6 foot and who won't be bullied too.  

Didn't think he was great technically tbh.

2 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think you've got confused it couldn't be @Davefevs you were agreeing with - guy knows nothing about football and just posts wildly unfounded crazy posts. 

His posts are thoughtful, intelligent and opinionated just as a football fans should be. 

Id be worried if he left. We have been lightweight in MF all season. Add to the we will be austere over the next 12 months i wouldnt want him leaving as there is no guarantee of money to replace. Potentially losing KS, FAM, NE, Afobe i scary. I want to see what this squad can do under Hughton, with a few additions not major wholesale surgery. 

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Boro away he was a 9/10. His performance disguised our lack of midfield and was the base of our victory.  A lot of his work goes unnoticed and in a few months there will be a thread saying how much we miss him 

I totally agree, but you have to also let your head have a shout at your heart and remember how many times he has missed huge chunks of the past couple of seasons with serious injury. Yes any player can get injured but surely these injuries have took the best out of him sadly, never mind any reoccurrence.

Archived