IGNORED

How FA CUP DAY has changed over the last 30 years

sticks 1969

I realise that many things often described as being better in the past do not always stand up to challenge but in this case the past really was better.

We would settle in as a family to watch from about mid-day. Everyone could choose a chocolate bar of their choice (Dad would always have Old Jamaica and mum Bourneville)  and I would go down to the paper shop on Luckwell Road to buy them. First memory for me is Leeds v Chelsea and went to the Man City v Spurs final in 1981 - didn't get to the replay though. 

The sad thing is I won't probably even watch today's unless I am at a loose end.

Biggest football day of the season when I was a kid and used to watch the build up all day with my dad.

Then recreate the goals in the street with mates after the game.

Jumpers for goalposts aaaah.

Not watched a cup final for years, just catch highlights later if I can be arsed.

20 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Just seen on tv it’s fa cup day tomorrow 

I remember when it was a big day out who ever was playing 

one of the few days when my  local pub In Bridgwater showed football on the tv ,other then england 

how times have changed....

Yup. I'm older and fatter each year. And the hair on my head is now gone and growing on my back instead...

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

I only just realised that it’s the FA Cup final today.......It was mentioned on the BBC earlier. Chelsea v Arsenal at 5:30pm...............:dunno:

Says a lot about how important the FA Cup is to me these days.

Todays is the first one I've watched this Millennium, for various reasons  Its either that or mow the lawn!

4 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

Are you telling me it's FA Cup final day today

Where the **** did that spring from?

? I had forgotten about this, but despite being a football fan, am so apathetic to it, I'm watching the cricket ODI.

I changed channels at 5.00 only to find the kick off was even later. C'mon FA, put it back to 3.00pm. ?

Archived