Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Radio Bristol - Now Discussing New Manager Job


Recommended Posts

Just now, old parkender said:

Correct, told to me in person by Scott Davidson, a very disappointed Scott Davidson. He didn’t want pulis but the way the board was structured he had to go with the majority vote

Thank you. I have heard exactly the same from several sources too, all independent and some connected to the club in the past. I am interested in what @Merrick's Marvels has to say though 

  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cityexile said:

“fairly exciting news...” to Pep is joining us as DoF in a few hours.

The need to use the word “fairly” implies to me we need to keep our expectations well in check.

 

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

downgraded to 'mildly' within the next hour

Well I'm expecting to be 'somewhat nonplussed'. At the very least. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if hou go with rumours. come monday we will have dean holden as head coach.  with Ashley Williams and Cole skuse as  coaches. what experience have this lot got in coaching and management.  a season of struggle lies ahead. 

Cole skuse signed a new contract at Ipswich there is no chance he is coming here

Williams doesnt have the badges so doubtful be will be here

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see the club bring in an experienced DoF. There are a few around with a good eye for both talent and coaching, and I remember seeing Christian Heidel touted for roles in the UK a few times recently. While I love Big Sam, I wonder if he'd want to have a hands-off role when he's more than good enough to take a club of our stature on as a manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, old parkender said:

Correct, told to me in person by Scott Davidson, a very disappointed Scott Davidson. He didn’t want pulis but the way the board was structured he had to go with the majority vote

Genuine q though, did Pulis not have a better record than Moyes at that time?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedM said:
I think you are referring to a post I made and attempting to slur me @Merrick's Marvels?
 
My understanding has always been what is stated below. Care to clarify?

I think SL and John Laycock outvoted Davidson in the Pulis appointment fiasco. I'm a supporter of SL but that would go down as one of his most disastrous mistakes. 

The board were split on Moyes or Pulis. Lansdown opted to go with John Lacock's choice of Pulis,  Moyes being in higher league with Preston at the time, eventually leaving for Everton

Is it true that Joe Royle and Peter Taylor also applied for the job at that time?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You really don’t like him do you?! 😳😄🤣🍷🕺🏻

I think he’s too involved in Talent ID. I won’t criticise his negotiating skills and I’m sure he’s very proficient at running an operation, but I don’t think him and his team in Talent ID are finding players that are good enough AND cheap enough. I don’t expect every recruit to be a success, and I include LJ in not giving a clear direction in playing system too. 

  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think he’s too involved in Talent ID. I won’t criticise his negotiating skills and I’m sure he’s very proficient at running an operation, but I don’t think him and his team in Talent ID are finding players that are good enough AND cheap enough. I don’t expect every recruit to be a success, and I include LJ in not giving a clear direction in playing system too. 

Agree with most of that ...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I don't think Sam Allardyce will be coming here...however...if he did, it wouldn't be such a bad decision imo, if he were to be working dual purpose in analytics, recruitment and coaching guidance. 'Big Sam' is seen as a typical British manager...but he's far from that. One of the first to explore analytics, prozone etc...he's used all sorts of resources in the past.

I've met him a few times in the past and sat with him and Agents who were involved in Spanish players such as Campo and Jordi Cruyff... I was fascinated in how he spoke about football, compared to the public persona given across by the media.

Like I said...I'd be surprised if he was coming here in any form...but if he did, it would certainly be interesting.

This is a good insight if anyone is interested...https://thevideoanalyst.com/big-sam-english-footballs-unlikely-revolutionary/

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is it true that Joe Royle and Peter Taylor also applied for the job at that time?

I’m not sure when, but Joe Royle definitely applied for the City manager’s job. He discussed it in a Radio Bristol interview some years ago. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Genuine q though, did Pulis not have a better record than Moyes at that time?

I do remember his Gillingham team was rather good, think they reached the league 1 or whatever it was called back then playoffs 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Whilst I don't think Sam Allardyce will be coming here...however...if he did, it wouldn't be such a bad decision imo, if he were to be working dual purpose in analytics, recruitment and coaching guidance. 'Big Sam' is seen as a typical British manager...but he's far from that. One of the first to explore analytics, prozone etc...he's used all sorts of resources in the past.

I've met him a few times in the past and sat with him and Agents who were involved in Spanish players such as Campo and Jordi Cruyff... I was fascinated in how he spoke about football, compared to the public persona given across by the media.

Like I said...I'd be surprised if he was coming here in any form...but if he did, it would certainly be interesting.

This is a good insight if anyone is interested...https://thevideoanalyst.com/big-sam-english-footballs-unlikely-revolutionary/

 

Yes, far from the Luddite impression he gives.  All the sports science stuff too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Whilst I don't think Sam Allardyce will be coming here...however...if he did, it wouldn't be such a bad decision imo, if he were to be working dual purpose in analytics, recruitment and coaching guidance. 'Big Sam' is seen as a typical British manager...but he's far from that. One of the first to explore analytics, prozone etc...he's used all sorts of resources in the past.

I've met him a few times in the past and sat with him and Agents who were involved in Spanish players such as Campo and Jordi Cruyff... I was fascinated in how he spoke about football, compared to the public persona given across by the media.

Like I said...I'd be surprised if he was coming here in any form...but if he did, it would certainly be interesting.

This is a good insight if anyone is interested...https://thevideoanalyst.com/big-sam-english-footballs-unlikely-revolutionary/

 

I like him. Like Warnock plays up for the media. Wasn't he the first or one of the first to use a data analysis system at Bolton? Can't remember the name of it now but remember watching something about him years ago. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, far from the Luddite impression he gives.  All the sports science stuff too.

 

5 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I like him. Like Warnock plays up for the media. Wasn't he the first or one of the first to use a data analysis system at Bolton? Can't remember the name of it now but remember watching something about him years ago. 

I've mentioned in the past that City have set up a system that not all coaches and managers would easily except working with. I got shot down in flames a few times in mentioning it...however, I do think our system makes the pool smaller in who would want to work within our confines.

It'll be interesting to see who comes in to ' help'... especially if analysts have been sacked. 

The set up revolves around MA and his recruitment system...his analyst team and whether he balances the books or not.

Any coach has to work within those confines and imo, the balancing of the books has come before achievement on the pitch. Each time it's two steps forward, one step back, and any coach would have to put up with that, just like LJ did.

Under a less restrictive mandate I feel we could do better.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is it true that Joe Royle and Peter Taylor also applied for the job at that time?

I’m not so clear on this but certainly have heard their names mentioned in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I do remember his Gillingham team was rather good, think they reached the league 1 or whatever it was called back then playoffs 

Yeah, they were 2-0 up against Man City going into injury time, ended up losing on penalties.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was beyond livid at yesterday’s news.

Now, I can see a glimmer of hope.

If this Director of Football/Manager is high quality and the role well-defined and superior in the heirachy to the Head Coach, I can see the logic. 

Benefits of the top of my head, reduces MA’s/SL’s influence on the football-side, provides a safety net when/if MA moves on and if DH fails, retention of DH provides some knowledge of the existing squad, possible big name to attract players, critical injection of new ideas from an experienced football man and a quick judge of strengths/weaknesses of players/team.

Critical to get the right man...but the model could just work. 

I’ll wait to see who it is before going into meltdown mode.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is it true that Joe Royle and Peter Taylor also applied for the job at that time?

 

33 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m not sure when, but Joe Royle definitely applied for the City manager’s job. He discussed it in a Radio Bristol interview some years ago. 

Joe Royle applied twice for the job, here, losing out to Terry Cooper in '82, and McInnes more recently. And how do I know this? Because I asked him in a North Somerset supermarket - a top end one - when he was down visiting old pals, and taking in the Leeds game (the one where George Elokobi was crocked).

Much as I love Coops, we missed out big time not going for Joe. He was a class above TC as a manager. It's not only SL in our history that struggles to pick the right manager/coach.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I too, gain the impression that the way things operate at a coaching/management level at AG excludes lots of candidates as soon as the job of first team coach becomes available because it simply isn't the way they operate. They have achieved in managerial roles doing it pretty well their way but are then faced with with the prospect of having to achieve by doing it someone else's way. I can understand why we then don't appeal to the majority of managers and as Spudski says this is detrimental to our prospects and holds us back.

I would not be at all surprised to see Lee Johnson become a big success in his next managerial role as he will be freed from shackles that were applied here but he couldn't say anything about.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RedM said:

Thank you. I have heard exactly the same from several sources too, all independent and some connected to the club in the past. I am interested in what @Merrick's Marvels has to say though 

I was told (by a relative of a then board member) that the voting was on the board, and I thought it was pretty much public knowledge.  I was told that the vote was tied and Scott used his casting vote in favour of Pulis, even though he didn’t want him, because he felt bound to support John Laycock.  The precise reasons for him supporting Laycock on this matter are less widely known.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The New Manager's Saga continues...

 

Mixing rumours and current staff members...I wouldn't be surprised to see this new staff:

R.Gilmartin - coach for goalkeepers; A.Williams - coach for defenders (& assistant coach?); K.Cisse - coach for midfielders; A.Wilbraham - coach for strikers; Holden - head coach;  ? - Director Of Football (if confirmed).

 

Edited by Dan Robin
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

if hou go with rumours. come monday we will have dean holden as head coach.  with Ashley Williams and Cole skuse as  coaches. what experience have this lot got in coaching and management.  a season of struggle lies ahead. 

Don't "go" with rumours then.

Simples.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...