IGNORED

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)

Red Army 75

14 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Got to keep morrell, if we’re planning on playing 3-5-2 then 4 centre midfielders won’t be enough. 

Would be really interested to see a Morrell, Williams and Walsh centre midfield 3, that could be class if utilised correctly

Im pleased with this signing, theres definitely not a lot of championship know how between the rest of them though, williams hopefully stays fit and plays a lot of games

It will be interesting to see how DH uses his midfield players this year, with Massengo,Walsh, Williams, Morrell, Nagy, Palmer, Szmodics, Paterson, Bakinson and Morton competing for 3 starting positions, I believe the 2 young guns will go out on loan, which still leaves a overloaded midfield, so I believe another couple of players leave either on loan or permanent. 

1 hour ago, WirralRobin said:

This from Wigan fans on twitter bodes very well!

The thought of him and Walsh in centre mid together recreating their Everton youth days is mouthwatering!

image.thumb.png.b434c7c311299dce3073aa531e84e261.png

image.thumb.png.51f014189cde825c40faa35185da3d24.png

That’s a good way of summing him up.

Heres his data.

A really good compliment to what we have.  The first of the signings.  Also I said I wanted all signings to be “better than we had / have”.  Williams is a bloody good start.  I guess fee will be around £2.0-2.5m.  Wages won’t be astronomical either.  At 23 exactly the type to fit in with a predominately young group.

But most importantly for a lot of you.....

he’s 6’1”. ?

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

There has been a lot of people touting him over in the transfer forum in previous windows. Likes a tackle apparently, which I am a little unsure about in the modern game, but played alongside Liam Walsh in Everton’s youth team. No outstanding injury issues, but may pick up a few bookings and suspensions, just as well we have cover maybe. :)

Yep..........tackling should be outlawed, it plays no part in the modern game? ?

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Heres his data.

A really good compliment to what we have.  The first of the signings.  Also I said I wanted all signings to be “better than we had / have”.  Williams is a bloody good start.  I guess fee will be around £2.0-2.5m.  Wages won’t be astronomical either.  At 23 exactly the type to fit in with a predominately young group.

he’s 6’1”. ?

And he's tons of fun and he dresses to a T

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Heres his data.

he’s 6’1”. ?

Sounds like a very decent human indeed possible captain material

What great news to wake up to, this guy is quality and exactly what we have been needing in midfield, really impressed me when I saw him play last season, and really good seeing the club showing the ambition to go get him as am sure there would have been a fair few championship clubs after him,

Really nice to see positive news

Really excited about this lad. I've monitored him since we were first linked with him. Exactly the type of player we need in midfield. A Young player with 100 championship appearances already, likes a tackle and also managed 4 assists last season from a defensive position. He sounds very sensible in his interview as well, Potential leader on the pitch which I think we were lacking. 

On a sidenote, does anyone else think the 8am announcement is strange? Should we expect more news today, as the club generally announce new signings in the evening. I believe last summer we announced Rowe, Szmodics and Bentley in the same day? 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not sure we’ve got too many in midfield.  Play any three of Williams, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell, Massengo, with the other two on the bench.  Looks about right to me.  Williams is as much a replacement for Josh Brownhill as Korey Smith.  We were light on midfielders last season.

Yep gonna have to mix and match those 3 midfield positions.  As others have said in other threads it’s possible we could play Paterson, Szmodics or Palmer off of Wells (especially if Diedhiou goes).

1 hour ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Finally, after 4 years, we bring some physicality in to the centre of the park ???

Yep, first Holden signing....and he’s already tried to solve that issue.  No disrespect to Korey, but on paper this is a real upgrade.

Nice to see us beating off rumoured opposition from “bigger” clubs.

52 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Got to keep morrell, if we’re planning on playing 3-5-2 then 4 centre midfielders won’t be enough. 

Would be really interested to see a Morrell, Williams and Walsh centre midfield 3, that could be class if utilised correctly

Morrell is a full international, I don't think he will be loaned out?..........it will be a long tough season, and we will need a large squad,  One or two injuries suddenly change everything, and i believe Morrell will get his share of games.

29 minutes ago, redpole said:

It will be interesting to see how DH uses his midfield players this year, with Massengo,Walsh, Williams, Morrell, Nagy, Palmer, Szmodics, Paterson, Bakinson and Morton competing for 3 starting positions, I believe the 2 young guns will go out on loan, which still leaves a overloaded midfield, so I believe another couple of players leave either on loan or permanent. 

I think you have to separate the true CMs and DMs from the attacking central mids that can also play out wide or as a no 10.

If we're to persist with a 3-5-2 then we absolutely need to have Williams, Massengo, Morrell, Nagy and Walsh as our 5 CM/DMs throughout the campaign. So easy for one of those to pick up an injury early doors and then we're down to 4 straight away.

Palmer, Szmodics, Pato & Weimann are competing for those roles further up the field so shouldn't relate to the 5 I just mentioned. Szmodics & Weimann and Pato can all play as a 10. Fully expect Morton and Bakinson to go out on loan, and maybe even Szmodics. 

Never heard of him and don't recall anyone ever saying "wish we'd sign Williams"

Not suggesting he's a bad signing, just don't know anything about the lad.

I wouldn't read into the comments about fighting off competition from lots of other clubs.... They've said that with every signing we've ever made

Welcome to another great human. Hope he works out and enjoys his time at AG

5 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Never heard of him and don't recall anyone ever saying "wish we'd sign Williams"

Not suggesting he's a bad signing, just don't know anything about the lad.

I wouldn't read into the comments about fighting off competition from lots of other clubs.... They've said that with every signing we've ever made

Welcome to another great human. Hope he works out and enjoys his time at AG

Not a big reader of the transfer section of the forum then? He's a player who has been linked to us and recommended by fans for a couple of years now.....

Worth checking out the 'Wigan Athletic players for sale' thread for recent remarks.

2 hours ago, Saunders87 said:

Out of nowhere. 

Great signing by the club, hopefully a Korey 2.0, and one that remains fit! 

Mark Ashton says our first signing of the summer, hopefully this means we ain’t finished yet. 

Well if someone uses the phrase first signing then you would naturally assume it wasn't the last.

Archived