IGNORED

AG Redevelopment latest

CyderInACan

42 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Some new seats and filling in of the sides would make that part of the ground more aesthetically pleasing,I'm aware we don't need the extra capacity.

The Atyeo looks very dated in an otherwise ultra modern Ashton Gate.

More than dated as I saw it first hand at rugby on Saturday.

Outdated and beginning to look quite tatty and worn.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

No, it doesn't work like that.  The new developments are being made by Steve Lansdown and the companies he formed to develop the site that he acquired . The profit will flow to Steve Lansdown and his fellow investors in that company. Nothing to do with BCFC.  It's nice that there will be facillities that some might benefit from on matchdays (more retail, food etc) or if you want to watch basketball or attend concerts but all the money goes to SL & Co.

Ah, okay. So why is it that City can include AG profits towards FFP, but not the rest of the sporting quarter? My understanding (which may be wrong) is that the football club and AG are now 2 separate businesses?

54 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Some new seats and filling in of the sides would make that part of the ground more aesthetically pleasing,I'm aware we don't need the extra capacity.

I admit I haven't actually been in the Atyeo for almost 10 years, so it's hard for me to comment on just how worn out it may be.

I get the impression that there are a fair few stands in the Championship that are notably more old and nasty. Perhaps we would replace the seats, but even that seems unlikely given that it's used as the away end. Aesthetics probably falls quite a way down the list of priorities right now. 

My thinking would be that the Atyeo is the next stand to be rebuilt/redeveloped at a time when we want a notable increase in capacity (e.g. to 30k). Until then I imagine we'd be unlikely to bother with any significant developments, such as filling in the corners.

4 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Although working from home has proved doable, once full restrictions are lifted, office based workers will start returning to offices en masse although with many negotiating 1/2 days working from home. 

I realise a lot of jobs are also impossible to do from home, mine certainly was but I think the railway was planned mostly for the office type jobs that are (were) prevalent in central Bristol where the train stopped not sure it will be financially viable without the commuters that were expected to use it, maybe things will slowly revert back to how they were me I'm not so sure if the railway lines will ever be as busy going forward as they were, personally I think HS2 will turn out to be the biggest white elephant since the Brabazon airliner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest when the development starts, how much is it gonna affect the match day experience, parking, etc?

I reckon grabbing a few pints & watching the wrecking ball knocking down Braby's etc will be a darn sight better than the football. All positives for me. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Shame that building on the corner of Ashton Road isn't going.  Will look massively out of place.

Lots of leased flats/student rents isn't it? Probably be worth their while staying put and benefiting from the new infrastructure around them making them potentially more desirable? 

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

Nah its just a crappy office building that's half used. I think the club accountants are based in it? 

https://www.cookeproperty.co.uk/property-details/3884/bristol/marsh-road/charnwood-house?page=1&showstc=on&showsold=on&instruction_type=Letting&address_keyword=bs3&minprice=&maxprice=3000

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Zero affordable housing being provided as part of the sporting quarter plans, based on financial viability.

That's a pretty poor look.

You are forgetting that Marvin pledged to build thousands of affordable homes every year he was mayor, by the end of this term, there will be so many of them, he'll be paying people to take them off his hands.

3 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Ah, okay. So why is it that City can include AG profits towards FFP, but not the rest of the sporting quarter? My understanding (which may be wrong) is that the football club and AG are now 2 separate businesses?

The football club and the stadium are separate companies but one is a subsidiary of the other. The Rugby, flyers and Bristol sport are peers in the hierarchy and are all "owned" by Pula. The Football club is registered with the FA so profits from the stadium as a subsidiary count towards FFP, Pula isn't registered so profits made by Pula (not that it makes sense to have profits in a holding company) don't count towards FFP.

Basically for the same reason as if the rugby makes a profit that doesn't count towards our FFP but the rugby club pays rent to the stadium and that does count towards FFP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm all for developments which might aid BCFC and enhance profile and increase our chances of success. I can't help feeling that we've missed an opportunity here. Firstly in the design of the structures, they bare no resemblance to what has already been a fantastic development of the stadium. Ie: no rounded corners to the arena or car park, which looks like it's been copied from the "Bristol" former Unicorn Hotel. The block of flats could also have continued the theme, with a rounded design like the one in Broadmead or the "eye" at the back of TM. It's all a bit Lego.

The other thing that strikes me as odd, is that there are no shared facilities with the Lansdown stand, which could easily have been accessed with bridges, linking the arena to the restaurants and toilet blocks at different levels. Perhaps this is intentional, for future sub division of the site, who knows?

No doubt the usual nimby's will be out in force moaning about traffic increase, pollution, lack of affordable housing, newts in the stream upset. What they'll conveniently forget is that, there are already buildings, both retail and commercial on this site, which have hundreds of vehicle movements every day, the new link road has also taken traffic away from the area and a giant store was previously approved for AG with thousands of vehicle movements included in those assessments and, three quarters of the site is currently used for vehicle parking. They'll probably state there's a loss of retail to the area with these plans and they'll miss the site of the platforms on the horizon. No benefits to the area or community whatsoever, in their eyes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm all for developments which might aid BCFC and enhance profile and increase our chances of success. I can't help feeling that we've missed an opportunity here. Firstly in the design of the structures, they bare no resemblance to what has already been a fantastic development of the stadium. Ie: no rounded corners to the arena or car park, which looks like it's been copied from the "Bristol" former Unicorn Hotel. The block of flats could also have continued the theme, with a rounded design like the one in Broadmead or the "eye" at the back of TM. It's all a bit Lego.

The other thing that strikes me as odd, is that there are no shared facilities with the Lansdown stand, which could easily have been accessed with bridges, linking the arena to the restaurants and toilet blocks at different levels. Perhaps this is intentional, for future sub division of the site, who knows?

No doubt the usual nimby's will be out in force moaning about traffic increase, pollution, lack of affordable housing, newts in the stream upset. What they'll conveniently forget is that, there are already buildings, both retail and commercial on this site, which have hundreds of vehicle movements every day, the new link road has also taken traffic away from the area and a giant store was previously approved for AG with thousands of vehicle movements included in those assessments and, three quarters of the site is currently used for vehicle parking. They'll probably state there's a loss of retail to the area with these plans and they'll miss the site of the platforms on the horizon. No benefits to the area or community whatsoever, in their eyes.

You`re forgetting the fact that they didn`t move down from London two years ago to have this foisted on them.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Rich said:

There will be a bridge linking the lansdown to the hotel/SCC so that facilities can be shared

AB0A9F0C-AA03-4C6E-972B-95887C73D1B8.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

There will be a bridge linking the lansdown to the hotel/SCC so that facilities can be shared

AB0A9F0C-AA03-4C6E-972B-95887C73D1B8.jpeg

Don't think that was on the original plans, perhaps they saw my comments.  Though I was meaning more from along the side of the arena, so all facilities were accessible.

So is this going to be part of, and an extension of Ashton Gate stadium or is it something next to Ashton Gate stadium? Will the flyers be paying rent to Ashton Gate?

It's presented by Ashton Gate (which is our stadium even if it's in a separate company) whereas I thought it was something separate.

This application is the only official plans there have been but even the original illustrative images had a linked bridge to the lansdown. The main intention being access to the suites in the upper lansdown as there won’t be much other facilities along the side of the arena.

Although the arena will have a relatively small concourse, they could of course open up the lansdown concourse for concerts/live events 

BEF5C1DE-8BB9-4F62-9A92-05227D460548.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

Don't think that was on the original plans, perhaps they saw my comments.  Though I was meaning more from along the side of the arena, so all facilities were accessible.

Bridge from Landsdown to hotel has always been part of the plans - would want the prawn sandwich brigade to be a able to stumble to their beds + wedding receptions etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Spoke to someone at the Gate last week about the Atyeo 100% no plans to expand or redevelop for a number of reasons. There is not much demand for stadiums between 30-38k it’s either sub 30k or 40k plus. The club see no point in improving away fan facilities unless we’re establish premiership club and regularly selling out current. I’m teens if non sports concerts etc it’s it’s either up to 30k or over 40k in demand. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2021 at 12:59, Redland Red said:

I haven't looked at the plans yet but imo a shame if the aspiration for a railway station has been dropped.  Many of us in the wider city who have to rely on public transport to get to games would have found a station very useful. It would have created a more sustainable development as well.

The deal is all done for the reopening of the line , network rail already have it out to tender for the construction of it, it's just waiting for north Somerset to rubber stamp the planning once covid lets them have a public desplay of the plans, 

The idea of an Ashton gate station was dropped at least 3 version of the plans for the line ago after the report into the stations substantially and ability to generate income found that not enough local people in the area to use it and make it pay, interesting match day attending was not allowed to be considered as the rules do not allow for special events it all has to be based on how many will.use it when the football isn't on, 

I know there was an offer at one point for an excursion platform but this never went anywhere as the club didn't want to pay the millions it would have cost and they could not be sure that it would be used by GWR , 

The only hope at the moment is the Bristol west 4 tracking happens as this will make parson street back to 4 platforms so the trains from the new line will be able to stop something at the moment they will not 

• Thanks 2

On 21/06/2021 at 21:28, RedRaw said:

This application is the only official plans there have been but even the original illustrative images had a linked bridge to the lansdown. The main intention being access to the suites in the upper lansdown as there won’t be much other facilities along the side of the arena.

Although the arena will have a relatively small concourse, they could of course open up the lansdown concourse for concerts/live events 

On 21/06/2021 at 21:28, RedRaw said:

Thanks, I believe I'm going mental, must be old age.

On 21/06/2021 at 21:45, City37 said:

Bridge from Landsdown to hotel has always been part of the plans - would want the prawn sandwich brigade to be a able to stumble to their beds + wedding receptions etc.

Thanks for that. I must be going mad. I know I commented on it during the consultation period, perhaps I should pay more attention. 

On 21/06/2021 at 21:28, Bristol Rob said:

Had a quick read of the two comments voicing objections, and to be fair, they are both positive about the development but wanting reassurance about the parking and traffic situation.

Which sounds perfectly reasonable.

Well said.  As a Nimby here that is my only concern. I'd like there to be something in place preventing both facilities being used simultaneously.

Eg if city are home on a Tuesday night you can't have a concert at the same time. The additional parking needs to be used for football and rugby supporters on matchday 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, winsaw said:

The deal is all done for the reopening of the line , network rail already have it out to tender for the construction of it, it's just waiting for north Somerset to rubber stamp the planning once covid lets them have a public desplay of the plans, 

The idea of an Ashton gate station was dropped at least 3 version of the plans for the line ago after the report into the stations substantially and ability to generate income found that not enough local people in the area to use it and make it pay, interesting match day attending was not allowed to be considered as the rules do not allow for special events it all has to be based on how many will.use it when the football isn't on, 

I know there was an offer at one point for an excursion platform but this never went anywhere as the club didn't want to pay the millions it would have cost and they could not be sure that it would be used by GWR , 

The only hope at the moment is the Bristol west 4 tracking happens as this will make parson street back to 4 platforms so the trains from the new line will be able to stop something at the moment they will not 

Would the inclusion of 500 new homes have any impact on the initial decision? Surely this should be considered?