IGNORED

Norwich (H) - Sat 31st Oct 12:30 - Matchday thread

Norwich City (H) – 12:30 Sat 31st Oct – What Can We Expect?

City entertain Norwich in Sky’s lunchtime kick-off looking to bounce back from a horrible week of injury news and defeat to Bournemouth.  Alfie Mawson has undergone surgery, Steven Sessegnon has a hamstring injury and Andi Weimann has ruptured his ACL.  All of this coming on the back of news that Joe Williams and Liam Walsh won’t be available until after the international break.  City are therefore down to 19 first teamers which includes 3 goalkeepers. Barring any further injuries, the match day 18 now picks itself.

Norwich are starting to adjust to life back in the Championship following a solitary season in the topflight.  They have won 4, drawn 2 and lost 2 to sit in the top six, but importantly are unbeaten in four, having won three on the spin until their draw at Brentford on Tuesday night.

FC2FEA5C-D717-4B4A-9698-D839580C9D36.thumb.jpeg.86bbd759b0c3051c0279f77dd4c057de.jpeg

Pic 1 - Championship table (BBC Sport)

City have an identical record but a better goal difference so sit one place above the Canaries in the final play-off spot.

Who’s the boss?

Norwich, owned by Delia Smith (and Michael Wynn-Jones), decided on a new recipe in the summer of 2017 when they appointed Daniel Farke.  The 44 year old German had a modest playing career as a centre forward in the lower Regionalised divisions of German football, but it was during his six years as head-coach of SV Lippstadt that he came to the attention of Thomas Tuchel and Borussia Dortmund where he took charge of the Reserves (Dortmund II) in 2015.

60474782-4B2A-4D2D-B9A9-FED7E9A85927.thumb.jpeg.03737699c77ed037b2561f2515de22d5.jpeg

Pic 2 - Delia Smith and Dumbledore lookalike Michael Wynn-Jones cooking up some wizardry in Norfolk

With Smith bringing in Huddersfield’s Sporting Director Stuart Webber towards the end of the 2016/17 season and the rising prominence of Farke back home in Germany, it was a case of “let’s be ‘aving you” with Webber recruiting Farke over the summer, mirroring his time with David Wagner at the Terriers.  The ingredients of Webber’s player recruitment and Farke’s tactics and coaching took a season to mix, but when they did, they rose to perfection, initially securing promotion before winning the Championship title - the icing on the cake!

FD78684E-9112-47FF-8AFE-742957929476.jpeg.14c058a66de60673f0aa6f8147b2432e.jpeg

Pic 3 - Daniel Farke - a thumbs up as he wins another technical challenge!

Recruitment:

As mentioned above the decision to bring in Webber as Sporting Director and then Farke as manager gave Norwich the ability to tap into the Euro-German transfer market, picking up players they felt could adapt to the Championship for low fees.  German football, especially, has good fundamentals of physical and technical attributes so its surprising its only in recent years that clubs have tapped into this market.

Incoming(s):

§  Jordan Hugill – West Ham (£3m)

§  Przemyslaw Platcheta – Flask Wroclaw (£2.7m)

§  Kieran Dowell – Everton (£2m)

§  Jacob Sorensen – Esbjerg (undisc.)

§  Daniel Simani – F91 Dudelange (free – but loaned to Beveren)

§  Sebastien Soto – Hannover 96 (free – but loaned to Telstar)

§  Oliver Skipp – Tottenham (loan)

§  Xavi Quintilla – Villareal (loan)

§  Ben Gibson – Burnley (loan)

Outgoing(s):

§  Ben Godfrey – Everton (£25m)

§  Jamal Lewis – Newcastle (£15m)

§  Tom Trybull – Blackburn (loan)

§  Timm Klose – FC Basel (loan)

Despite losing Godfrey and Lewis they have retained most of last season’s squad (Buendia, Aarons, Pukki, etc) demonstrating their financial prudence last summer when promoted.

Formation / System:

Farke’s Norwich play a lovely passing style of football in a 4231 formation in the main.  They are exciting to watch, get their full-backs high and really push you back into your own third, and then keep you there, probing for openings.

7F65FD3C-5133-475B-8EA2-29A393DDD8E4.thumb.jpeg.9a082a11360c2a4e02c44420d6769908.jpeg

Pic 4 - Norwich's line-up versus Brentford on Tuesday

Although it is a 4231 on paper, the Canaries are very fluid in their movement.  However, Farke is more than happy to make tweaks depending on the state of the game. 

C906212C-3580-4EB3-A639-C6FD5164622E.jpeg.9a0031ad781e10732a65d90570681130.jpeg

Pic 5 - Farke changes to 343 versus Brentford [Wyscout]

With Norwich trailing 1-0 going into the last quarter of the match at Griffin Park, Farke brings on Jordan Hugill and Kenny McLean and switches to 343 with half-time sub Placheta moved to wingback.  It is McLean who grabs the 87thminute equaliser. 

Defensive shape / press:

Norwich are really good at pressing the ball, they do it as a team ensuring they don’t get played around.  Its not frenetic like Barnsley’s press but very efficient.

CA0CAB2D-BD00-47CF-B81A-236E6E636975.thumb.jpeg.19f9c493c1b49715f8d43adc8ed2f9cb.jpeg

Pic 6 - Norwich pressing game

Here we see a nice compact back four picking up three Brentford forwards.  Although Norwich full-backs love to get forward, they know when they need to stay solid too.  We also see a triangle of Norwich players ready to work as a team, triggered by Teemu Pukki.

751AF019-FED5-411B-8045-C542CCA79CCE.thumb.jpeg.947340144c6f6ce2c8ed2961bc261b16.jpeg

Pic 7 - Norwich force Brentford back towards their own goal

As Brentford pass from the centre-back to the left-back, the three Norwich players press the receiver but also cut off the passing lane inside resulting in Brentford’s player either having to go backwards or try to beat his man.  He tries to beat Buendia, loses it, and Norwich are away.  Simple but effective, maintaining the triangle.

When the opposition do beat the press then Norwich’s back four can become exposed.

D60DF7DC-826D-460D-9A90-FA68106F12AD.thumb.jpeg.658bd6cab8d3d8f9767d8923c08fbb28.jpeg

Pic 8 - Brentford break the lines

Brentford have managed to pass through the lines (caused by a bad throw-in infield), and we can see five Norwich players (circled) caught ahead of the ball.  Brentford have a three-on-three situation.

AD1E7888-4207-42A0-AFE1-6C225C2A02E4.thumb.jpeg.6c312e35ce2c328c2d6df0ef490afcbc.jpeg

Pic 9 - Mbuemo crosses for Toney to score

Norwich pay the ultimate price as Mbuemo skips into the channel and crosses for Toney to stab home for the first goal of the night.  Norwich never get back into shape after losing the ball.

The canary bird-box:

As I stated above, Norwich are very fluid with their 4231 but you will see that a lot of their attacks are formed around a tight-knit “box” of four players that can receive intricate passes, occupy more defenders than is necessary and leave space for the remaining players.

440C0299-4123-44E3-80CF-58056A26E9D0.thumb.jpeg.f2469e4299c5e9cb29b1328da53ae3d2.jpeg

Pic 10 - Norwich's fluid four

In this sequence, Vrancic has pushed onto Brentford’s backline and together with Pukki they are cleverly occupying four Brentford defenders.  Max Aarons at the top of the picture is free if he can be found.  The two Brentford defensive midfielders are mindful of Cantwell and Buendia as Skipp brings the ball over the halfway line. 

8E6D4034-639E-497C-9FAD-160BAF4EEB1A.thumb.jpeg.90240be1291991e1bf6eb528ce317366.jpeg

Pic 11 - Vrancic receives the pass and lays it off to Buendia

Vrancic shapes to come short and Skipp passes to him.  Ethan Pinnock tracks Vrancic but his clever flick sets Buendia away and there is now a huge gap through Brentford’s core.  This is so Norwich, so simple, but so well-drilled too.  Buendia goes on to see his shot tipped onto the crossbar.  Had Vrancic rolled Pinnock on the inside then Pukki has started to run off of the shoulder of his marker too.

This type of play is seen all over the opponent’s half, and once the Yellows are in your final third, they make it very difficult to get out.

E273CC87-0AFC-4C67-A6D7-E5ECF1BCEEDD.thumb.jpeg.ffc3827f211945063741266f89ca27fe.jpeg

Pic 12 - Norwich chase the game

With Norwich 1-0 down with a few minutes remaining they’ve committed men forward (six players in advanced positions).  But they don’t just throw it into the box where Hugill might come up with something, they retain their passing principles.

93B54876-1677-4933-AC58-747D6F7C2A83.thumb.jpeg.534b5ae922a3e7d5ecf58c12995e6950.jpeg

Pic 13 - the "box" starts to shape-up

The Norwich defender passes into the midfielder who’s dropped short.  We start to see Norwich position four players close together, although not quite a two-by-two box this time.  The ball is fed into McLean. 

60EE5859-9C8B-4928-B16A-B58CD6201279.thumb.jpeg.967f0f1e7cf9b904794d1454f4d5b914.jpeg

Pic 14 - McLean equalises

Kenny McLean manages to turn on the ball and we see Pukki ready to receive a pass having got away from his marker.  However, McLean shoots, it gets a horrible deflection and beats the keeper to make the score 1-1.  Norwich are fantastic at creating chances from tight spaces.

Set-pieces:

Norwich aim for the danger area with their free-kicks, with runners knowing where the delivery is expected.

06A7A86E-3C4B-4C1E-80DE-4A224B85B943.thumb.jpeg.42742bc98029d92aa45ad8e6312ee99e.jpeg

Pic 15 - right side free kick aimed the penalty spot

A right footed away swinger is hit towards the penalty spot where Grant Hanley heads over the bar when he should’ve got the header on-target.

F3A4EA74-D134-49A9-A90D-DB76696DB01D.thumb.jpeg.1700cc08b8bd5538d00a585e0cb2896a.jpeg

Pic 16 - left side free kick aimed for the penalty spot

A right footed in swinger is hit towards the penalty spot where Ben Gibson rises but heads wide.

City will need to be aware of the target and not allow Norwich runners to get into position ahead of them.

Possible Line-up:

GK: Tim Krul (32) – experienced shot stopper who came to prominence at Newcastle over a decade ago.  The former Dutch international had loans at Ajax, Den Haag and Brighton (that became a permanent transfer) before signing for Norwich on a free transfer two summers ago, helping Norwich to the Championship title.

RB: Max Aarons (20) – homegrown talent who is a key part of the Norwich system, playing like a right winger at times.  Closing in on 100 first team appearances and an England u21 international.

CB: Grant Hanley (28) – Dumfries born Scottish international who moved from Rangers to Blackburn as a 17-year-old for a nominal fee.  Went to Newcastle for £6m in 2016 and Norwich for £3.5m one season later and is club captain.  

CB: Ben Gibson (27) – on loan from Burnley but Norwich have an obligation to buy.  Rose through the ranks at Boro where his uncle (Steve) is the Chairman playing over 200 times before moving to Burnley for £15m in 2018.

LB: Jacob Sorensen (22) – Danish u21 international signed from Esbjerg in July for around £1m.  Made his debut at left-back with Xavier Quintilla (24) out injured.  The Spanish full-back is on a season long loan from Villareal having come through the Barcelona system.

CM: Oliver Skipp (20) – Tottenham loanee who’s started every league game so far.  An England u21 international who has had fleeting minutes in the Spurs first team.

CM: Lukas Rupp (29) – the German brings experience to the midfield and arrived from Hoffenheim in January for £500k.  Previously played for Stuttgart, Monchengladbach, Paderborn and Karlsruhe.  There is competition for places this season from Kieran Dowell (23) but he’s out injured and Kenny McLean (28) the former Aberdeen and St. Mirren man.  There is still Alex Tettey (34) the Norwegian international who’s sat on the bench every game so far to bring bite and experience if need be.

RM: Emiliano Buendia (23) – Argentinian born wide-man whose formative career was in Spain with Getafe.  Signed in the summer of 2018 for £1.3m Emiliano is a key provider of assists with 28 in 85 apps.

AM: Mario Vrancic (31) – another Euro recruit by Webber and Farke, signing for Norwich in 2017 from Darmstadt for £675k having been at Paderborn and Mainz previously.  Lovely left foot and a danger from free-kicks around the box. Vying for his place with Marco Stiepermann (29) who joined in the same summer from Bochum.

LM: Todd Cantwell (22) – Norwich academy recruit who loves to dribble with the ball.  Was loaned to Fortuna Sittard before making a impression back in Norfolk in the promotion season.  Norwich also have Przemyslaw Placheta (22) – the Polish u21 international signed in the summer from Slask Wrochlaw in the summer available to come in and play left side if need be.

CF: Teemu Pukki (30) – what a free transfer this was in 2018!  Signed from Brondby having been at Celtic the Finnish international with 25 goals had previously been in Germany at Schalke.  Top scorer in the last two seasons and a striker who finishes coolly.  My DANGERMAN.

CA1CB37F-AC36-4411-B6E4-B8283A02DBA6.thumb.jpeg.67d199e13c9efdc1be07cb6fb831b3cd.jpeg

Pic 17 - Teemu Pukki - a canary to keep caged!

Also, Norwich can call upon Jordan Hugill (28) – the summer signing from West Ham where it didn’t work out following a £9m move from Preston.  Physical striker who runs the channels well.  Adam Idah (19) – is suspended for this one following his red card against Wycombe 

Prediction:

So, that’s Norwich and how they play.  Tough game ahead for City.  Unfortunately, I can’t see past a Norwich win, even though they’ve not be totally convincing in their recent wins. 

Bristol City 1:2 Norwich City 

I can't see the usual "So how do we win?" section - a bad omen perhaps?

From what you've said above it looks like it could be an important/tough night for Bakinson, or whoever is sat in front of the back 3. Hopefully they're all well disciplined and don't let themselves get pulled around too much by the "bird box" and are clear on their responsibilities.

From memory we've had a couple of occasions where good central runs by the opposition have got a yard head start on us as someone from the back 3 realises it's their responsibility to track them - or tracks the wrong one and leaves another free. I'm sure Dean will have seen that though and hopefully have them well drilled!

Given the way we "handled" the press of Barnsley, the disruptiveness of Boro and the technical prowess of Bournemouth I also can't see us getting anything against Norwich. They've got a bit of all three of those qualities and I think it'll be a tough game where we struggle to build play. That box you identify looks perfect for dominating a back 3 with CDM like we play. One of COD or Pato will be sucked in by it, and I can see our third CB being unsure what to do and ending up out of position.

If we manage to get away with the 1-2 you predict, and make it hard for them for 90 minutes, then we'll be able to find some positives in the defeat.

I don't expect many changes from the Bournemouth team. Maybe one of Wells or Martin coming in for Fam or Semenyo, maybe Dasilva in at LB. Other than that I think we'll be unchanged.

10 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I can't see the usual "So how do we win?" section - a bad omen perhaps?

The games have come too thick and fast to do that section, and personally I think it reads better without it.  I tried to incorporate it into the earlier section, e.g. Brentford breaking the lines from a throw-in

From what you've said above it looks like it could be an important/tough night for Bakinson, or whoever is sat in front of the back 3. Hopefully they're all well disciplined and don't let themselves get pulled around too much by the "bird box" and are clear on their responsibilities.

yes, very important.  It’s so simple what Norwich do, but so effective....at this level.  It does mean they can be counter-attacked.

From memory we've had a couple of occasions where good central runs by the opposition have got a yard head start on us as someone from the back 3 realises it's their responsibility to track them - or tracks the wrong one and leaves another free. I'm sure Dean will have seen that though and hopefully have them well drilled!

good old transition....so dangerous.  Albeit more dangerous is winning it back and starting your own transition....then it gets very messy ?

⬆️⬆️⬆️

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Given the way we "handled" the press of Barnsley, the disruptiveness of Boro and the technical prowess of Bournemouth I also can't see us getting anything against Norwich. They've got a bit of all three of those qualities and I think it'll be a tough game where we struggle to build play. That box you identify looks perfect for dominating a back 3 with CDM like we play. One of COD or Pato will be sucked in by it, and I can see our third CB being unsure what to do and ending up out of position.

If we manage to get away with the 1-2 you predict, and make it hard for them for 90 minutes, then we'll be able to find some positives in the defeat.

I don't expect many changes from the Bournemouth team. Maybe one of Wells or Martin coming in for Fam or Semenyo, maybe Dasilva in at LB. Other than that I think we'll be unchanged.

It is why I think we must play a flatter CM3 tomorrow....at least 2 conventional CMs tomorrow.  My recurring thoughts are that the “6 and two 8s” doesn’t have the same effect without Weimann and Pato playing well nor against the better sides.

Tomorrow I want the new flavour of CM3!

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is why I think we must play a flatter CM3 tomorrow....at least 2 conventional CMs tomorrow.  My recurring thoughts are that the “6 and two 8s” doesn’t have the same effect without Weimann and Pato playing well nor against the better sides.

Tomorrow I want the new flavour of CM3!

Agreed. Where would you draw the extra man from? Do we match up their back 4 and go 442? Or do we play a more defensive 352 that effectively plays as a 3412? The second option is less of a change away from what we are drilled in, but it would pile even more pressure on the two wing-backs to be the creative force in the midfield, and I'd really fear that the 1 (probably Paterson or COD) would struggle to link the strikers and the two CDMs. So we'd likely see our strikers dropping deeper to compensate...and then we end up with only 7 shots in the game because no one can break Norwich's line.

I think the answer possibly lies in using the spare CB of our three. To match that box requires only two of the three. That could leave Vyner or Moore free to bring the ball out from the back and support the relevant wing-back in linking with the front three. You can see in your 'bird-box' pictures (pics 10 and 11) that there is space between the central box and Buendia on the touchline. That is the space I would be targeting. Disrupt the box, nick the ball, and then look to play it into that space for the spare CB to run onto and start the counter. Again this places a responsibility on that player to quickly get back into position should we lose he ball in attack, but it is something we've seen shades of in previous games, and could be something to look for.

Just my musings.

We always seem to struggle against pressing teams. So much, that I wonder why every manager doesn't do it.

If, as you say, Norwich's natural game is pressing high then I can't see anything but 0:2 to Norwich with a 95th minute second.

Before I read your excellent post, I thought it would be 0:1 Norwich with a 87th minute penalty... ?

18 minutes ago, Chivs said:

We always seem to struggle against pressing teams. So much, that I wonder why every manager doesn't do it.

If, as you say, Norwich's natural game is pressing high then I can't see anything but 0:2 to Norwich with a 95th minute second.

Before I read your excellent post, I thought it would be 0:1 Norwich with a 87th minute penalty... ?

it’s not just pressing, every team presses pretty much, it’s more what type of press, where they do it from and how heavy.  Barnsley’s press was different Boro’s which was different to Forest’s.

The press I describe above (pics 6 and 7), isn’t heavy per se, it’s triggered from Pukki and involves him and two others....but it’s done from a position of solidity, e.g. back 4 in place, midfield shape fine.  From that point he identifies the left back really has no pass on if they press correctly as a unit.  If for example one of Brentford’s midfielders or strikers had bent a run down the side of Aaron’s at RB, Pukki might not trigger the press as he did.  He might decide it’s wasted as the ball is going down the channel and a press would be wasted energy.  It’s what Reid was so good at, knowing when to press and when to just get into shape.

Barnsley press everything...but they get picked off too, as we saw from our two quick-fire goals.

Boro pressed (predominantly) as we tried to move the ball into midfield....the goal was a bit of an exception - bloody worked though.

In the Boro game, the antidote was to either go over the top of the midfield, or Vyner and Mawson go down the sides.

So in summary not all presses are equal.

30 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agreed. Where would you draw the extra man from? Do we match up their back 4 and go 442? Or do we play a more defensive 352 that effectively plays as a 3412? The second option is less of a change away from what we are drilled in, but it would pile even more pressure on the two wing-backs to be the creative force in the midfield, and I'd really fear that the 1 (probably Paterson or COD) would struggle to link the strikers and the two CDMs. So we'd likely see our strikers dropping deeper to compensate...and then we end up with only 7 shots in the game because no one can break Norwich's line.

I think the answer possibly lies in using the spare CB of our three. To match that box requires only two of the three. That could leave Vyner or Moore free to bring the ball out from the back and support the relevant wing-back in linking with the front three. You can see in your 'bird-box' pictures (pics 10 and 11) that there is space between the central box and Buendia on the touchline. That is the space I would be targeting. Disrupt the box, nick the ball, and then look to play it into that space for the spare CB to run onto and start the counter. Again this places a responsibility on that player to quickly get back into position should we lose he ball in attack, but it is something we've seen shades of in previous games, and could be something to look for.

Just my musings.

it’s tough to plan until you see how Norwich respond.  Typically they defend without the ball in their formation of 4231, (rather than the box they attack with) and depending on the ball position Pukki plus the 2 of his attacking midfielders make up the press.  The 2 DMs try to stay in position.  The Brentford game was two back fours so let’s just assume we go 352.  If we use Vyner and Moore to create width then Hunt and Dasilva (or Rowe) can force either full-back to mark.  Against Brentford the full-back could play narrow and cover his CBs, who could go tight.

If suddenly you have Hanley and Gibson tight to Martin and Wells but Aaron’s is out on the touch line picking up Dasilva you get a very different defensive dynamic...and a lot more risk for Norwich...especially if Martin starts dropping into pockets to receive the ball.  Does his marker go with him and leave Wells the hole in behind?

But that’s all theoretical nonsense.  We will have to wait and see....but I’d certainly be trying to get Aarons at RB or whoever is for to play LB playing as far away from their CBs as possible,  that’s where the space is for me.

Tapping into the Euro-German transfer market has proved very beneficial to Norwich, and before DH was appointed I was praying that a left field appointment of a continental manager would happen, knowing that it wouldn't of course.  I still think that when DH goes, as he inevitably will it is an avenue that i hope we will go down, as there is so much talent at good prices if you have the nescessary knowledge?   I can see it being a comfortable win for Norwich, and am really looking forward to seeing Cantwell, who is a class act.  IMHO We need some injured back and maybe a dip into the January market before we can look to the top six ....we have been very unlucky with injuries, which has disrupted our good start, but i still think we will be able to challenge for the top of the table as the season progresses...but i think Saturday might prove just too hard. ........... Hope I am wrong of course.

Two number 8s in CM isn’t working against this side, especially if both of them disappear again in the second half.  Need to have two CMs in front of the CBs and one further forward linking with Martin or Fam in a fluid formation that allows one of the 6s to get forward when we have the ball and the other to sit and both to drop back when we don’t.  We need the ability to control the ball in there and keep possession which means movement from all three, good interplay with the WBs and better hold up play from the 10.  Pato looks like he only has half a game in him at the moment, COD looks like he doesn’t know what to do in this system, so it’s time to try something new.  Massengo would bring energy, Nagy given half a chance improves our control, if he commits himself to the game. Right formation, right players in there, we have the beating of Norwich as long as our CBS can keep Pukki under control. 

Evening chaps. Very good post from the OP there and I've learned something about my own team so always worth visiting the other teams board.

I am not too confident about this game as teams have learned how to disrupt our play and our performances going forward have been nowhere near as good as two seasons ago. However we have been grinding out the results and seem to be more robust. We are also unsure how we will turn out tomorrow as our only LB is out(2nd choice is on loan and just scored a winner against Reading). We have a few options(Switch Aarons to the left, a DM to cover or either side or bring in RB Mumba) but either way we won't be as potent on both wings. Our midfield should be about the same, but then we have still to see them light up the pitch yet with Pukki more isolated these days and Buendia off the boil.

Only thing that give me some real hope is reading about your injury crisis and from your general board chat. I'd expect a draw, but we do feel we are due to roll a team over somepoint soon.

Oh and don't give free kicks away outside the box if Vrancic is playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIUyQUlVif4

Anyway have a good evening and best of luck tomorrow.

8 hours ago, YellowFarke said:

Evening chaps. Very good post from the OP there and I've learned something about my own team so always worth visiting the other teams board.

I am not too confident about this game as teams have learned how to disrupt our play and our performances going forward have been nowhere near as good as two seasons ago. However we have been grinding out the results and seem to be more robust. We are also unsure how we will turn out tomorrow as our only LB is out(2nd choice is on loan and just scored a winner against Reading). We have a few options(Switch Aarons to the left, a DM to cover or either side or bring in RB Mumba) but either way we won't be as potent on both wings. Our midfield should be about the same, but then we have still to see them light up the pitch yet with Pukki more isolated these days and Buendia off the boil.

Only thing that give me some real hope is reading about your injury crisis and from your general board chat. I'd expect a draw, but we do feel we are due to roll a team over somepoint soon.

When opposition fans see DaveFev analysis of their club they’re always really impressed and reckon that Dave knows more about thier players than they do.

Dave puts a lot of work into them.

Another of my "top 5"

Flat early kick off, extra days rest for them.

I think as much as formations and players make a difference, in this case it's fitness and timing as well.

So what I expect is, us to look absolutely knackered and flat, lose pretty comfortably 0-2 and this place to melt down about individual players rather than the team!

Maybe there's a trigger in Callum O'Dowda's head about playing vs Norwich and it unleashes him for his one goal for the season!

11 hours ago, YellowFarke said:

Yes, Vrancic....I’d screenshotted his free kick v Wycombe, but when I came to use it, I found that as I’d clipped it from Sky it only screenshots a blank screen (image right n all that) and I didn’t have enough time to go and re-clip it.  Although it was a bloody dive!!

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

Another of my "top 5"

Flat early kick off, extra days rest for them.

I think as much as formations and players make a difference, in this case it's fitness and timing as well.

So what I expect is, us to look absolutely knackered and flat, lose pretty comfortably 0-2 and this place to melt down about individual players rather than the team!

Maybe there's a trigger in Callum O'Dowda's head about playing vs Norwich and it unleashes him for his one goal for the season!

You are either gonna be spot on....or we get the opposite and we play for the cameras. ???

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You are either gonna be spot on....or we get the opposite and we play for the cameras. ???

If we do that I'll be delighted.

I think our best chance is that they're also flat because it's the dreaded early kick off and because they had to travel on a short week, maybe we steal a goal and then can counter and not chase so much.

In my head Covid football has been reduced to Fomula 1, and managing the tyres (player fitness) is maybe becoming more important than being good.

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

Weather could play a part today; would a Martin/Diedhiou combination suit the gusty conditions, with Hunt whipping in the crosses?

No, has to be Martin and Wells, and hope Wells contributes more having had a virtual kick up the backside being dropped from last game.

Also, horrible weather and tough opponents may well be too much for a lightweight Pato performance, would like to see Nagy or Massengo start in his place. 

Archived