IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

grindr GIF

But a right one...

Next time perhaps don’t be to quick to dismiss other people’s opinions.

They just  might remind you that they were right.

Did I mention I was right. 

Don’t like to say I told you so, but I told you so....

Also how is the reading up on ‘Strikers’ going ?  Again  I was right

Sorry I keep having to say I am right...

Obviously seems to erk you a bit.

Like I said, don’t dismiss other people’s opinions to quickly otherwise they will keep telling you they are right, when there right.

56 minutes ago, Better Red said:

But a right one...

Next time perhaps don’t be to quick to dismiss other people’s opinions.

They just  might remind you that they were right.

Did I mention I was right. 

Don’t like to say I told you so, but I told you so....

Also how is the reading up on ‘Strikers’ going ?  Again  I was right

Sorry I keep having to say I am right...

Obviously seems to erk you a bit.

Like I said, don’t dismiss other people’s opinions to quickly otherwise they will keep telling you they are right, when there right.

Seriously if you need to chat, DMs open.  

Several times on Robins TV they made reference to him 'trying one trick too many', or 'trying to do too much'. What they actually should have said was 'trying to control the ball, unsuccessfully'.

He didn't score, he rarely does, he gave the ball away easily but he wasn't the worst (I'll reserve that again for Wells who other than miss his first header did nothing so far as I could see.)

Again tonight it was blatantly obvious, if we want to compete we need a fire sell, including the non-strikers on show.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davo370 said:

Semenyo is one of our better players. Creates more than the rest of the team put together.

I think he has improved this season.

But in a front three you have got to score  otherwise we try someone else.

Same goes for a Fammy and Wells. They have to contribute goals.

Its not all his fault. The midfield create so few opportunities. But watching him he never looks like scoring.

Maybe it’s the tactics or maybe it’s poor coaching. Either way he is not improving that side of his game.

Also everyone says about his pace. You never really see that in the games. He comes inside a lot from deep positions and can beat his man. But I have never seen him beat his man on the outside and go to the byline. I have seen Edwards do it twice in 15 mins of football.

I like he but I want to see goals or maybe he ain’t as good as the hype.

Just now, Slacker said:

Genuine question. What do you get out of this?

When people abuse people on here - 

1. I don’t like it.

2. I like to remind them that other people’s opinions are as important and valid as theirs. 

3.Other people’s opinions even if different can also be right.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Better Red said:

When people abuse people on here - 

1. I don’t like it.

2. I like to remind them that other people’s opinions are as important and valid as theirs. 

3.Other people’s opinions even if different can also be right.

I completely agree with all of that,however it is starting to look in my eyes that you have a big agenda against a young player in a struggling side,and that you are enjoying/looking forward to his next blank sheet.I understand your frustration with the teams performances,but you just seem to be constantly picking on an inexperienced young player,just to try and score worthless points against other posters.Semenyo is not exactly a stand out bad player in an otherwise performing team.If you want to challenge other posters opinions, that is of course fine,but it seems very unfair on a young player,to be using him as your ammunition. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Genuine question. What do you get out of this?

Can I offer the answer to that. I think he gets the satisfaction of knowing that his prediction to date is the correct one.

If we're honest, he hasn't looked like scoring and has been getting into good positions on a regular basis. To that end, you'd think that counting his many attempts on goal, he'd have got lucky with the odd one or two. That hasn't happened to date.

The OP has often stated that he hopes he (Semenyo) comes good and proves him wrong, but he doesn't think he will. I have to agree with him at the moment.

Semenyo has lots of abilities such as, pace, strength, a hard shot, a certain amount of trickery. What he doesn't appear to have is a brain that works at the same pace as the game. He will often make the wrong choice in passing or shooting or the run to make space and doesn't see the other players giving him options (if they are). Those things come naturally to a goal scorer. Some things can be coached and other things can be improved upon and maybe, eventually he might start scoring a few goals but, doubt he'd ever get as many as ten in a season. I know he's a long way behind in his football education in professional terms but, you have to have a knack of scoring. that seems to elude him at present.

Hope the OP is wrong and I hope I am wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

Can I offer the answer to that. I think he gets the satisfaction of knowing that his prediction to date is the correct one.

If we're honest, he hasn't looked like scoring and has been getting into good positions on a regular basis. To that end, you'd think that counting his many attempts on goal, he'd have got lucky with the odd one or two. That hasn't happened to date.

The OP has often stated that he hopes he (Semenyo) comes good and proves him wrong, but he doesn't think he will. I have to agree with him at the moment.

Semenyo has lots of abilities such as, pace, strength, a hard shot, a certain amount of trickery. What he doesn't appear to have is a brain that works at the same pace as the game. He will often make the wrong choice in passing or shooting or the run to make space and doesn't see the other players giving him options (if they are). Those things come naturally to a goal scorer. Some things can be coached and other things can be improved upon and maybe, eventually he might start scoring a few goals but, doubt he'd ever get as many as ten in a season. I know he's a long way behind in his football education in professional terms but, you have to have a knack of scoring. that seems to elude him at present.

Hope the OP is wrong and I hope I am wrong. 

Have to agree with this really.OP has in fairness,said he hopes AS progresses,as we all do.I feel though that constantly highlighting one player,in what are continuing poor performances,is unfair and unnecessary. We can all see AS goal stats,and I don't see the need for the constant gloating.

• Like 1

Just now, JonDolman said:

Semenyo had a bad game today except a couple of good things he did.

To be fair there haven't been many bad games from him, and is often our main creative spark. I am always thinking get it to Antoine.

It should be him that is inconsistent not some of the others. But to be fair to the others I don't think Holden sets them up right so no one is expected to play to their best when the blend isn't right.

Yet you wanted to play Semenyo at Left Wing Back !

10 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Have to agree with this really.OP has in fairness,said he hopes AS progresses,as we all do.I feel though that constantly highlighting one player,in what are continuing poor performances,is unfair and unnecessary. We can all see AS goal stats,and I don't see the need for the constant gloating.

I haven't read the whole list of posts but, it looks like the OP was given a hard time on here, perhaps some of it deserved, as a result he's taken to getting his own back on those posters. Probably down to frustration as well, in regards to the shyte we're having to put up with at the moment, from more than just the one source.

There appears to be a section of posters OTIB, in life as well, who delight in having the opportunity to knock others and never miss an opportunity to do so. We also have those that see any criticism of the team/club as a personal attack on themselves. They then shout all sorts of abuse, towards the critic. We have to be careful that this response doesn't grow, as we could end up like the blue few, who ban any detractors under the guise of shitheads., and, it doesn't seem to be doing them any good whatsoever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was getting desperate! ? If we were to play wing backs then what options would be better at left wing back? Marriapa?

When I looked at that starting 11 I thought that might be the best way to go. And I still think that actually. We looked terrible in that 433 with Mariappa left back, Wells right wing. Lansbury in front of our defence!?

Holden seemed to agree with me when he moved him there 2nd half and went to 352. I don't think Semenyo is a wing back but we don't really have any obvious player to play left back or left wing back. 

Hudson Odoi has recently played a couple of games at wing back for Chelsea and looked fine. I think sometimes wingers can do that role if they work hard like Semenyo does, and has good attributes like Semenyo has for that role.

Not ideal but would not have looked any worse than how Holden had us set up!

Fair enough

But an experienced Ex Premier League defender shouldn’t look so out of place , even playing on the wrong side

Not easy but give him some protection and just ask him to defend no frills , basically and simply

Been very disappointed in him , even with the mitigation he’s out of position 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Fair enough

But an experienced Ex Premier League defender shouldn’t look so out of place , even playing on the wrong side

Not easy but give him some protection and just ask him to defend no frills , basically and simply

Been very disappointed in him , even with the mitigation he’s out of position 

Agree with you on that assessment. Very poor in all aspects of his game, seems to lack a bit of enthusiasm. If it weren't for beggars can't be choosers, I don't think we'd have signed him in the first place.

It seems obvious to me that we should play with our strongest three available at the back, in Mawson, Kalas and Vyner. Stick with Hunt on the right and a strong mobile player on the left, possibly Semenyo, then you can try and form a defensive and an attack side to the central three midfielders. Both wing backs would/should do a decent job which only leaves the task of providing an attacking threat from our remaining two attackers. Simple aint it?

The question really is why can’t we produce players that will score from midfield.

When I say midfield I mean not the front 2.

Seymenyo, Massengo, Bakinson all look technically good but I wager none of them score this season.  That’s a big statement but they just dont look like they know where the net is. 

They can’t be coached well enough and or maybe they are not as good as people think they are.

They are all attacking midfield players and yet never look like scoring.  That’s a problem for me. They need to get minimum 6 a season.

None of them are physical enough to stamp authority on the game at this point in there career.

So do they look neat and tidy yes. Will they improve yes but will they improve enough to be here this time next season not so sure.

Would they be in the team if everyone was fit? Don’t think so. That would mean we have no one from the academy except Vyner near the first team and he is not really a kid anymore.

So for all the praise of the academy set up not sure it’s as good as some would say.

Edwards does look like an exciting player that for me looks like he could be a player that holds done a first team place ‘now’ we don’t have another player in the squad that can run at players like him.

We all want the kids to come through but they have got to be good enough. Its not about potential it’s about ‘now’ and winning games. 

I am not anti players young or old. But I will say it as I see it and if that means not always being positive for the sake of it then I will say it. 

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The emergence of Semenyo, Vyner, Bakinson etc has been the highlight of an otherwise Depressing season

Apart from a few games at start I’d wouldn’t be getting excited about Bakinson. Vyner has been OK - people seem to be going way ott about him. Semenyo I think is close to being handy and may well be so next season but he isn’t a goal scorer. 

• Like 1

He needs a rest.

The kid has talent - but isn't being coached in a way he understands - as per matchday commentary comments.

If he doesn't get it - then the message needs to be delivered in a way he can get it.

Video, wax crayons, role-play, whatever.

The biggest issue is that we have D grade coaches with some young players who could actually be Championship / lower Prem players one day.

HNM, Semenyo, Bakinson and Vyner.

If I were them, I'd be seeking a club with top-class coaching and fitness staff.

Just to see how good I could actually be.

4 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The emergence of Semenyo, Vyner, Bakinson etc has been the highlight of an otherwise Depressing season

Shows how poor the season has been then. A striker with no league goals, a centre half playing anchor midfield, and a guy who’s early season promise has dropped off a cliff.

Pretty damning in itself if this is your highlight.

Edited by TomThumb84
  • Like 2

Perhaps forum members might like to consider it this way?

Rather than considering them 'personal' attacks on certain players, an apparent agenda against them, perchance it could be members stating the blindingly obvious in that amongst a woeful squad of players there are some who simply shouldn't be there. Players who aren't good enough and never will be. City underperform because they do.

It's interesting to note the difference in attitude between those we've acquired and those we've supposedly developed (sic). I could pick from dozens of examples (they're not personal attacks,) but here goes:

In the former category we have the likes of Wells and Mariappa. Wells is pound for pound the biggest waste of money ever spent at AG. He came with a vastly over-inflated reputation, he's only ever had two good seasons in an otherwise inglorious career. I'm not convinced by: 'he's playing out wide', 'low on confidence' excuses. He's supposedly a quality striker, save he's unable to hold up the ball, has poor touch and if he can't motivate himself to 'go and go again' it means he's a loser. As clearly are City. Mariappa's another. Other than being 'Ex-Premier' I knew little of him. I do now. I know he hasn't the ability to track a run, I know he thinks the best way to tackle an opponent is to point to where a teammate should intervene on his behalf, I know he's firmly in the Bryan school of defending the cross (i.e. 5 yard distant so not defending at all,) I know he ducks under headers in the box. I know he should be anywhere but AG.

In the latter category the excuse is usually they're 'young', 'for the future'. Neither are acceptable. Either they are able to compete, NOW, or they are not. If it's that they aren't up to it, they shouldn't be in the squad. Folks bang on about Bakinson having a 'nice touch' and 'movement'. That he does, though only if there's nobody within a country mile of him. He is also  allergic to the tackle and, worst of all,  gives the ball away time, after time, after time. These final two characteristics render him a liability in midfield and until he learns to rectify his weaknesses he shouldn't play (at least not for City.) Ditto Semenyo whose 'Last Time I Scored A League Goal' counter ticks faster than the US National Debt billboard in midtown Manhattan. So the striker (who isn't) gets dropped deeper and deeper and deeper such yesterday he was supposedly a wing-back. Save he wasn't. His tackles are as rare as him hitting the back of the net. He should be dropped deep; somewhere near Clevedon Town, I reckon, where he may find use for his talents.

I could have highlighted 15 or more other first teamers. Until we cease making good excuses for bad rubbish we deserve the types of performance (sic) we observed again yesterday. If you wish to continue with the excuses then, in my book, you're every bit as culpable as Ashton, management & medical staffs.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Ditto Semenyo whose 'Last Time I Scored A League Goal' counter ticks faster than the US National Debt billboard in midtown Manhattan. So the striker (who isn't) gets dropped deeper and deeper and deeper such yesterday he was supposedly a wing-back. Save he wasn't. His tackles are as rare as him hitting the back of the net. He should be dropped deep; somewhere near Clevedon Town, I reckon, where he may find use for his talents.

Sadly correct....

A waste of a shirt as it stands.