IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Apologies, duff data but not by much. 

The kid's done well of late and hopefully will improve but he's much to improve upon. In all competitions for us that's 10 goals in 84 appearances. For those who claim he's been played out wide his assists, historically, haven't been much better. He's had plenty of chances and one might have expected a better return.

But it's not about the past, it's about the future and I hope he starts converting everything that comes his way. I don't however, think lauding him from the rafters for what he's delivered to date does him any favours. That sure didn't when we had those star-striking England youths Shaun Penny & Marvin Brown. Look what became of them?

I get where you’re coming from, he’s been performing to this standard for a relatively short period of time and we need to see this quality over a longer period to understand his potential fully. I think some of the talk around Semenyo is premature, nothing to do with the player simply down to performances turning around in the last few months. If he keeps it up for the rest of the season then I’ll be fully convinced.

That being said, quoting his goal record is ridiculous. A lot of those appearances will have been off the bench or in a poor side and certainly weren’t up front. The point about assists is valid but he was in a poor team that was struggling across the board. It’s a big ask for a young player to come in and deliver in the championship. Just because he didn’t do so at age 20 doesn’t mean his upturn in form at 21 is a flash in the pan, players just develop at different rates.

Talk of playing for England by some posters is ridiculous mind. It’s way too early to have an inclination of that and it’s only going to put additional pressure on him. Just enjoy watching an exciting youngster, don’t put him on a pedestal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

The kid's done well of late and hopefully will improve but he's much to improve upon. In all competitions for us that's 10 goals in 84 appearances. For those who claim he's been played out wide his assists, historically, haven't been much better. He's had plenty of chances and one might have expected a better return.

But it's not about the past, it's about the future and I hope he starts converting everything that comes his way. I don't however, think lauding him from the rafters for what he's delivered to date does him any favours. That sure didn't when we had those star-striking England youths Shaun Penny & Marvin Brown. Look what became of them?

You appear to be missing the rather simple fact that the award is for what he did in January 2022. What he did in the 2019/2020 season is utterly irrelevant.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

"Semenyo was chosen by the judging panel of Sky Sports’ EFL expert Don Goodman, EFL Communications Director Mark Rowan and Sky Bet EFL trader Ivor Davies."

Thanks, so it's a PR exercise then. Who else did they consider and what is their criteria?

Actually, don't bother,  it's not worth debating.

• Confused 1

On 12/01/2021 at 10:46, 2015 said:

Give Semenyo a chance, he will score goals for us in the future I think. Strikers/Attacking players, especially young ones need to be given the opportunity to show what they can do, it's only half a season. 

We, as a club in the past few years have been too quickly to write off attacking players who have gone on to do well - Woodrow, Robinson, Kent to name but a few.

He has done well this season in a poor team imo, he will get better

I don't want to be smug here... oh f it. ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Thanks, so it's a PR exercise then. Who else did they consider and what is their criteria?

Actually, don't bother,  it's not worth debating.

Sounds like you’re a bit upset that your gloomy forecast about Semenyo looks to be wrong.

That’s such a strange mentality - he’s our player and is doing well. No one knows who you are, so it doesn’t really matter if you’re wrong about him, there’s no repercussions. Far easier to enjoy his development - I think he’s a really exciting player.

• Like 5

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Sounds like you’re a bit upset that your gloomy forecast about Semenyo looks to be wrong.

That’s such a strange mentality - he’s our player and is doing well. No one knows who you are, so it doesn’t really matter if you’re wrong about him, there’s no repercussions. Far easier to enjoy his development - I think he’s a really exciting player.

That's what I said. I hope he goes right to the top, though I've seen little in him to date that suggests he will. Folks seem to think that because I don't wish to jump on the hysterical bandwagon that makes me the odd one out. Perhaps, though I'd see it the other way.

Recall, it wasn't that long ago there were those of us reminding Reid wasn't a striker. Funny how once we'd banked the cash they returned to the 'of course we knew he wasnt' camp. Though not a goalscorer undoubted a decent player. Perhaps Semenyo will prove likewise. We'll find out.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

image.png.6822b71042e50440427fec00eac9df1b.png

Ignoring position played.

Hes played the equivalent of 49.01 matches (90 min equivalent).  Call it 50.

14 assists in 50….0.28 assists per 90

10 goals in 50….0.20 goals per 90

At present his rates are better than these City career numbers.

0.28 assists per 90….would be the 8th best in this current Championship season. He’s actually 2nd this season.

0.20 goals per 90….would be 74th best in this current Championship season.  He’s actually 23rd this season.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

That's what I said. I hope he goes right to the top, though I've seen little in him to date that suggests he will. Folks seem to think that because I don't wish to jump on the hysterical bandwagon that makes me the odd one out. Perhaps, though I'd see it the other way.

Recall, it wasn't that long ago there were those of us reminding Reid wasn't a striker. Funny how once we'd banked the cash they returned to the 'of course we knew he wasnt' camp. Though not a goalscorer undoubted a decent player. Perhaps Semenyo will prove likewise. We'll find out.

Just comes across as a bit strange and bitter - which is odd because Semenyo is currently doing well for us meaning we all benefit. 

Seems a bit strange to go through life with such a negative outlook about things.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Why not try being happy for the lad - bit bizarre tbh. 

Exactly. It’s really weird. The poster in question also admitted to enjoying Lee Johnson getting criticised at Sunderland so perhaps that’s his outlook on everything.

The other thing about Semenyo is that he’s clearly a really nice guy, it was obvious from that interview the other week. I don’t see why you wouldn’t be happy for him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Semenyo has delivered and achieved far more than either , already 

If you can’t see the improvement in him and the potential , well.......

You'd of thought there would be a lot more burping on here, given the amount of humble pie that should be being eaten,  .....   after our future Ghanian International won Championship Player of the Month?  He was always gonna be a star, it was just a matter of Time?  Chelsea saw his potential over 18 months ago.

Edited by maxjak

4 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Semenyo has delivered and achieved far more than either , already 

If you can’t see the improvement in him and the potential , well.......are you stupid ?

Finished it for you - never end a sentence on a preposition.

Thats what Mr. Knee told me about 50 years ago anyway.

6 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

You can't have been watching him since he came back from injury then

I think I mentioned somewhere, maybe even earlier on this thread, players develop at different rates. DCL is the obvious one. Jamie Vardy a very similar type of player was playing non league and then Fleetwood before his life changed. 

Ihave always thought that this may become what happens with Semenyo. The fact he got player of the month is the first step on this path. Fingers crossed we keep him on it. 

I will have a tenner on him for Sunday

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

0.28 assists per 90….would be the 8th best in this current Championship season. He’s actually 2nd this season.

0.20 goals per 90….would be 74th best in this current Championship season.  He’s actually 23rd this season.

There's a reason history records what players do, rather than what might be selectively extrapolated as to what they might have done. It's for that reason David Fairclough isn't the greater goalscorer of all time.

I appreciate you're one for predicted goals and suchlike. Sadly games aren't decided by them.

• Confused 1

On 11/02/2022 at 08:25, Redtucks said:

It's all gone quiet over there!!!!

???

Has been playing very well.

Do I like him - again as always stated Yes

Has given us a threat we were so sadly missing. He takes the team up the pitch like Albert like to do.

But he has only scored ‘7’ championship goals not 25 or 30.

if he can get to 10 this season ( he should play 35 games this season)  then  we can all say he can including me he is a ‘Striker’ and he scores goals.

To be clear on this a striker needs to get at least 12 a season if they get 35 games to be a ‘Striker’ worth there position if they don’t then likely we will go down.

He is getting there but ain’t quiet there yet.

Hopefully I am wrong with my statement.

As for quoting stats - it the goals he scores that will ultimately define wither he is a striker or not.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Glad you pointed this out Dave, plus goals and assists seem a key part of an all-round package for a modern striker IMO.

Still think recalling him from Newport when we did probably stalled him a bit but he's well past that now and still with good room for growth I think.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

There's a reason history records what players do, rather than what might be selectively extrapolated as to what they might have done. It's for that reason David Fairclough isn't the greater goalscorer of all time.

I appreciate you're one for predicted goals and suchlike. Sadly games aren't decided by them.

So you will forever tarnish anything he ever does for us because of his first 50 / 60 games….when he was 19/20, making his way in the game and at this level? ??‍♂️

Guess what?  David Fairclough wasn’t the greatest goalscorer of all time.  You’ve allowed a rose tinted view of important goals in a small sample of televised games or highlight on Sportscene or MWSS to cloud your memory.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/298

Fairclough's final figures for Liverpool still make impressive reading. 37 goals from 92 starts is a fine achievement but he never quite got rid of the 'Supersub' nickname and that is borne out by the fact that he scored 18 goals in 62 substitute appearances. 

Stats are quite useful for highlight that FACT is often actually just an OPINION. ?

• Like 2