IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So you will forever tarnish anything he ever does for us because of his first 50 / 60 games….when he was 19/20, making his way in the game and at this level? ??‍♂️

Guess what?  David Fairclough wasn’t the greatest goalscorer of all time.  You’ve allowed a rose tinted view of important goals in a small sample of televised games or highlight on Sportscene or MWSS to cloud your memory.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/298

Fairclough's final figures for Liverpool still make impressive reading. 37 goals from 92 starts is a fine achievement but he never quite got rid of the 'Supersub' nickname and that is borne out by the fact that he scored 18 goals in 62 substitute appearances. 

Stats are quite useful for highlight that FACT is often actually just an OPINION. ?

I'm afraid Dave when it comes to selectively choosing to make a point you must be in contention for Sky Bet Stato of The Month.

Semenyo's record is what it is, whether or not you seek to decide that forever impairs his record is ridiculous. All players start at the same place, so why should allowances be made for an individual? Youth? We all were once. Slow Starter? Perhaps, perhaps not and that's what we'll find out. We should focus on what he's delivered to date and the potential he holds. In my opinion ( and that's all it is, my opinion,) that in no way accords with the hype fans love bestow on anybody who these days crosses the white line. Fans who vent their anger at those who fail to subscribe to their blind and shallow hysteria.

I may have been facetious citing Fairclough but somebody is the greatest goal scorer per minute in the history of the game. Probably somebody few have ever heard of who notched a second half double hat-trick in his only ever appearance.

Now you love to analyze games to the nth degree. So what stats have you in support of where I think Semenyo is at present and how he might improve, for some at present appear to suggest he's little upon which to improve?

Let's just look at Wednesday's game. His finest moment was the rapid chest trap, turn and shot in which he was unlucky to hit the post. Great skill and hopefully a sign of things to come. But history books won't record that. Nor his run into the box where, as he is wont, he held onto the ball too long, running out of options and finding his shot blocked. That's something he does often, perchance you've stats to show where City would likely have been better off had he shot earlier or passed the ball? Ditto (and I'd never criticise a striker for being selfish,) those occasions when, on the break, he appears somewhat blinkered in his vision, failing to identify those teammates in space. Now both those traits come from positives on his part, getting forward, looking to press but they're areas I'm sure the coaching staffs are working on with him as they do not lead to as many positive outcomes as they should. Hopefully he'll learn and do better.

What history will record is his goal. What it won't record is when City gained possession Semenyo was half way down the Long Ashton Bypass ( I've no idea what he was up to but he was out of the game, never good for a striker.) History won't record that had Weimann passed to him he'd have been given offside. History won't record that City were fortunate in Weimann's shot rebounding straight back to him having touched an opponent allowing him to pass to Semenyo. History won't record that, owing to the utter stupidity of the interpretation of Law 11 these days, that the 2nd passage of play negates all advantage gained in coming from an offside position. Semenyo took his chance well, that's in the history books. But were you to Monte Carlo scenarios from that break 1000 times City'd score very few times.  As with your goals per minute it's indicative yet meaningless. There is only ever one break. There will only ever be one goal.

Semenyo has scored 7 times in the league for us. That's fact, not opinion.

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I may have been facetious citing Fairclough but somebody is the greatest goal scorer per minute in the history of the game. Probably somebody few have ever heard of who notched a second half double hat-trick in his only ever appearance.

I know, but it was too good an opportunity to be a bit of an arse back at you . ?

Appreciate your reply. ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Better Red said:

Has been playing very well.

Do I like him - again as always stated Yes

Has given us a threat we were so sadly missing. He takes the team up the pitch like Albert like to do.

But he has only scored ‘7’ championship goals not 25 or 30.

if he can get to 10 this season ( he should play 35 games this season)  then  we can all say he can including me he is a ‘Striker’ and he scores goals.

To be clear on this a striker needs to get at least 12 a season if they get 35 games to be a ‘Striker’ worth there position if they don’t then likely we will go down.

He is getting there but ain’t quiet there yet.

Hopefully I am wrong with my statement.

As for quoting stats - it the goals he scores that will ultimately define wither he is a striker or not.

Unlike you who has been very quiet about him for the past year!

:innocent06:

32 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Unlike you who has been very quiet about him for the past year!

:innocent06:

Might be worth reading my original post just to put in context what I said.

I could have messaged every week his did not score not sure I would have been  that quiet….

Like i said above let’s see what he gets this season before we all get carried away.

It if gets close to 10 then maybe we start to call him a striker…. 

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

So after constantly replying telling everyone they are wrong and you are right,

you still cant be big enough to just admit you were just plain wrong

First just have a read of my message that started my thread.

I am wrong at this point - Not yet

If he scores close to 10 and does similar next season then yes i think we say he is a striker at this level and yes fair to say I was wrong.

Will he get to 10 maybe and I hope so.

Will I be I here to say I am wrong - Yes

Again read my message at the start of this thread it reads pretty well to me and looks balanced to me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Better Red said:

First just have a read of my message that started my thread.

I am wrong at this point - Not yet

If he scores close to 10 and does similar next season then yes i think we say he is a striker at this level and yes fair to say I was wrong.

Will he get to 10 maybe and I hope so.

Will I be I here to say I am wrong - Yes

Again read my message at the start of this thread it reads pretty well to me and looks balanced to me.

You said

"But I still stand by my option he won’t make a championship  striker"

Although not hit 10 goals yet, (not sure where the definition states you can only be a striker if you score 10 goals?), AS has shown every bit of power, technique and finishing that a striker needs to process, so much so that we have already received bids from Forest and talk of prem teams tracking

But of course they and everyone else are all wrong, as you know best

By the way, if we need to wait to next season so see if he also scores 10 goals, before you can accept you are wrong, don't bother as sure it will be surpassed with loads more stupid quotes you will have come out with by then.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

The facts show that Semenyo's this season is already 'there', and that he is contributing to lots of goals, especially for a 22 year old. Can't understand the refusal to see this and to enjoy watching an academy player starting to flourish...

image.png.74ececc4761e647ccd7ebfbf24170992.png

Because for some, being ‘right’ and scoring a few forum points whilst using an anonymous alias is infinitely more important. Pathetic really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

The facts show that Semenyo's this season is already 'there', and that he is contributing to lots of goals, especially for a 22 year old. Can't understand the refusal to see this and to enjoy watching an academy player starting to flourish...

Any reason you did not put up the top goal scorers charts? 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Because for some, being ‘right’ and scoring a few forum points whilst using an anonymous alias is infinitely more important. Pathetic really.

criticising others that’s easy to do.

But actually forming a thought and and a considered opinion that’s a little bit more difficult.

Give it ago rather than just pasting ‘Pathetic really’

5 minutes ago, Better Red said:

criticising others that’s easy to do.

But actually forming a thought and and a considered opinion that’s a little bit more difficult.

Give it ago rather than just pasting ‘Pathetic really’

I think he was just pointing out you were very quick and happy to point out after pretty much every same where Antonine didn’t score he wasn’t a striker. Then you would type

”I was right”.

Now you appear to be squirming as AS has turned out to be a decent striker. So as it turns out you were actually wrong. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I think he was just pointing out you were very quick and happy to point out after pretty much every same where Antonine didn’t score he wasn’t a striker. Then you would type

”I was right”.

Now you appear to be squirming as AS has turned out to be a decent striker. So as it turns out you were actually wrong. 

Not quiet yet - 7 championship goals does not prove he is a Striker. 

Also I don’t message ever time he does not score that would have been about 40 messages…..

Wrong now ? - No

Wrong Future ? - Maybe

Lets see what happens this season.

I will be happy to post a new topic when/if  he gets to 10.

Again ‘read’ my message that I started this thread still looks pretty good.

Perhaps after you have ‘read’ it you may have a slightly different view of what I actually said.

5 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Not quiet yet - 7 championship goals does not prove he is a Striker. 

Also I don’t message ever time he does not score that would have been about 40 messages…..

Wrong now ? - No

Wrong Future ? - Maybe

Lets see what happens this season.

I will be happy to post a new topic when/if  he gets to 10.

Again ‘read’ my message that I started this thread still looks pretty good.

Perhaps after you have ‘read’ it you may have a slightly different view of what I actually said.

It’s not your original post that is the issue. It’s the repeated “Haha - still not scored - I was right” ongoing posts. Almost delighting in the fact. Very weird for a supporter

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Better Red said:

Any reason you did not put up the top goal scorers charts? 

Because it's only you and the BTOGOF or whatever his name is seem obsessed with the ONLY attribute you can judge a striker on is is goals. Nothing else. Not his game play, assists, workmate. Only goals.

The continual mention of his has played X amount of championship games but only scored 7 goals. He's only played as a striker in the last 10 games in which he has 5 is it? + a number of assists + a Player of the Month award + Goal of the month nomination

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, grifty said:

Because it's only you and the BTOGOF or whatever his name is seem obsessed with the ONLY attribute you can judge a striker on is is goals. Nothing else. Not his game play, assists, workmate. Only goals.

The continual mention of his has played X amount of championship games but only scored 7 goals. He's only played as a striker in the last 10 games in which he has 5 is it? + a number of assists + a Player of the Month award + Goal of the month nomination

It's the fact that one particular poster seems totally distraught that the kid, one of our players, has won an award that gets me.................

It's an award, there's loads of them floating about, who cares about it that much? I'm told Don Goodman is in a Police Protection Scheme after the fall out from this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Antoine's just a different sort of player now then the tentative, raw kid we saw earlier in his City career.

Last season, you could see he had the physicality and some good instincts, but he was shy of taking shots, made poor passing decisions and often had not positioned himself to receive the ball.  His main use was slowing down opposition attacks in their half.  The OP was right, he wasn't a striker then. 

The Semenyo this winter has all those drawbacks largely fixed so I'm inclined to believe, unless they replaced him with an ultra-handy lookalike, his talk of working hard on the weaknesses in his game during his time out injured was gospel truth.  He's someone who has obviously bought into Pearson's coaching regime and has benefitted from it.

I don't want to go OTT about a player finally achieving his potential, but how anyone could question him starting up front now is beyond me. 

• Like 2

On 11/02/2022 at 15:24, BTRFTG said:

Apologies, duff data but not by much. 

The kid's done well of late and hopefully will improve but he's much to improve upon. In all competitions for us that's 10 goals in 84 appearances. For those who claim he's been played out wide his assists, historically, haven't been much better. He's had plenty of chances and one might have expected a better return.

But it's not about the past, it's about the future and I hope he starts converting everything that comes his way. I don't however, think lauding him from the rafters for what he's delivered to date does him any favours. That sure didn't when we had those star-striking England youths Shaun Penny & Marvin Brown. Look what became of them?

Antoine came into the pro game quite late so never had the academy coaching that most pro's have had. It was always about raw potential.

After a few years of being coached properly he has now learnt how to use his natural talents for the greater good of the team. 

Let's face it, he is quick, powerful and can go past players for fun. He just needed to learn how and when to shoot or pass at the appropriate time, which he is now doing. I personally think there's a lot more to come from Antoine and he will only get better

• Robin 1

8 hours ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

Interesting stats, but why doesn’t Herr Weimann appear in them?

17 hours ago, grifty said:

What judge a ‘Striker’ that would be crazy…

Just to clear it up a ‘Striker’ measurement is goals scored.

Not complicated.

You only bring the other ones in to an argument when the player has not scored enough goals to justify the tag ‘Striker’

It was all my title that you have so clearly responded to.

With both know that Striker are judged on goals.  

So when he scores say 10 goals when can say he is a ‘Striker’ 

When he does I will post a new thread.

43 minutes ago, Better Red said:

What judge a ‘Striker’ that would be crazy…

Just to clear it up a ‘Striker’ measurement is goals scored.

Not complicated.

You only bring the other ones in to an argument when the player has not scored enough goals to justify the tag ‘Striker’

It was all my title that you have so clearly responded to.

With both know that Striker are judged on goals.  

So when he scores say 10 goals when can say he is a ‘Striker’ 

You judge a goal scorer on the number of goals scored, not a striker.

Not complicated.

Goals is one of the metrics you judge a striker on, not the only one.

50 minutes ago, Better Red said:

It's alright dont bother, you have started enough sh1t threads that you keep popping on to tell everyone how cleaver you are and right all along.

No doubt if he does score 10 then it will be he needs to do it next season as well to prove he is a striker.

• Flames 1