IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

To be fair, in his early introductions to the team, Antoine looked strong and aggressive and had many great qualities, but he missed some sitters and seemed scared to take a pop at goal, even when he was in a better position than the player he passed to.

As many predicted, once he started chalking up a few, he gained confidence rapidly and now he's a massive attacking asset and in market terms, our most valuable player.

I'll hold my hand up and say at one stage I wondered whether his future was as a forward midfielder rather than an out-and-out central forward. I think a fair few of us wondered that.

But clearly the qualities he showed in training are now evident in competitive games and I'm very happy that he has evolved into the sort of player we'll be talking about for decades to come.  

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Based on what evidence?

The evidence of a season split between Holden and Pearson, when he played mainly as a wide-forward, and where you formed the opinion he’s not a striker.  That’s quite convenient…especially as since his return to the team post-injury last December he’s played as a central striker and done incredibly well (that’s not just my view but professional football’s view) and looked every bit a central striker.  You’re still not sure though.  Come on, swallow your pride “just, maybe”….just say yes he is. ???

What evidence ? Watching him play is the main one.

Its not convenient that’s what I saw - maybe Holden & Pearson do as well.

A wide forward if you won’t to use that term  - Deff Yes and Deff top end of the Championship - Deff yes

In my opinion he is more effective for us and will be through out his  career playing wide of the main Striker.

I am not saying he is not a good player ( read my comments from way back always have said I like him) 

Lets see what happens and see if he plays through the middle now he is fit.

2 questions that was posed from my post 

1 - Can he score goals at this level ? I questioned that and clearly he can.

2 - Is he a main Striker through the middle - I said No and I still say the same. Is he closer today than when I posted the comment? clearly.

I stand by the comment at the time and he’s goal scoring record stands up to that comment at the time like it or not.

Can he play as a main Striker ? 

He’s only problem is Conway at the moment is looking like a ‘ Striker who can score goals and ‘play through the middle - And wow by the way who thought we would be saying that ( unless someone wants to disagree…)

Will my opinion change ? Sure it well as the players improve or go backwards.

Can I be wrong - Sure like everyone else game of opinions.

So back to the question can he play through the - Yes

The real question is will he (that’s the test - if managers believe if can he will)

My opinion is he will be the wide player not the player through the middle.

So have I changed my mind about the position- No

Have I changed my opinion about will he score goals - yes

so is he a Striker - still maybe 

Big Question ? It’s tough one.

Both fully fit who’s would you play through the middle - Conway (started less than 10 Championship games). Or Seymenyo ? 

Don’t say both….

I know who I will pick.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Better Red said:

A wide forward if you won’t to use that term  - Deff Yes and Deff top end of the Championship - Deff yes

In my opinion he is more effective for us and will be through out his  career playing wide of the main Striker.

I am not saying he is not a good player ( read my comments from way back always have said I like him) 

2 - Is he a main Striker through the middle - I said No and I still say the same. Is he closer today than when I posted the comment? clearly.

I stand by the comment at the time and he’s goal scoring record stands up to that comment at the time like it or not.

He’s only problem is Conway at the moment is looking like a ‘ Striker who can score goals and ‘play through the middle - And wow by the way who thought we would be saying that ( unless someone wants to disagree…)

The real question is will he (that’s the test - if managers believe if can he will)

Both fully fit who’s would you play through the middle - Conway (started less than 10 Championship games). Or Seymenyo ? 

Don’t say both….

I know who I will pick.

Just take the L - you got it wrong, but who cares really. It’s far better for all of us is Semenyo continues to blossom.

You’re posting under a pseudonym - it really doesn’t matter that much whether ‘Better Red’ on OTIB got it wrong.

• Like 2

Johnson brought back Semenyo from Newport. Apparently Chelsea had bid four million for him. I don’t remember him scoring a goal during that period but he was sent off against Derby which ended our season. I remember it well as I had a drunken rant about our lack of fire power under Johnson. 

The change for Semenyo was when Pearson got hold of him. All of a sudden he was nearly impossible to play. Look at him yesterday, no one could get the ball off him. 

so whatever Pearson and or his staff did has changed the direction of that lads career!

11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Johnson brought back Semenyo from Newport. Apparently Chelsea had bid four million for him. I don’t remember him scoring a goal during that period but he was sent off against Derby which ended our season. I remember it well as I had a drunken rant about our lack of fire power under Johnson. 

The change for Semenyo was when Pearson got hold of him. All of a sudden he was nearly impossible to play. Look at him yesterday, no one could get the ball off him. 

so whatever Pearson and or his staff did has changed the direction of that lads career!

Combination of things I’d summise 

Pearson and coaching staffs influence , trust , etc

But probably more significant

His injury - or rather his gym work and how he used his recovery time to analyse his own game - Pearson was clearly impressed by it

And , the influence , help and advice of Martin , Weimann & Wells

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

@Better Redboth…I’d happily pair Conway and Semenyo as my centre forwards / strikers.  I’m a great believer in striker partnerships.

I see both as very good making in to out runs.  Play Antoine as a wide forward and you cut down his influence to only when the ball is on that side.

Totally agree 

He likes to ‘roam’ , you certainly don’t want to restrict him

No different from Weimann really

You could play a flat front three with 

Antoine / Tommy / Andi and have Antoine and Andi constantly making out to in diagonal runs around Conways movement - it could be devastating 

But why change what’s working 

Antoine / Conway , Antoine / Martin , Antoine / Wells , with Andi bursting from behind all sound decent to me !

@Better Redboth…I’d happily pair Conway and Semenyo as my centre forwards / strikers.  I’m a great believer in striker partnerships.

I see both as very good making in to out runs.  Play Antoine as a wide forward and you cut down his influence to only when the ball is on that side.

I think you are saying Seymeny

Simple question not loaded.

Front 3  - 

who would play down the middle Conway or Seymenyo ?

No right or wrong answer.

Its only an opinion. 

I have said Conway because all my comments above.

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Totally agree 

He likes to ‘roam’ , you certainly don’t want to restrict him

No different from Weimann really

You could play a flat front three with 

Antoine / Tommy / Andi and have Antoine and Andi constantly making out to in diagonal runs around Conways movement - it could be devastating 

But why change what’s working 

Antoine / Conway , Antoine / Martin , Antoine / Wells , with Andi bursting from behind all sound decent to me !

So you would put Seymenyo out wide as well.

Everyone disagrees when I say Seymenyo is best wide in a 3

But when I ask who you would play through the middle in a front 3 ?

Everyone seems to says they would play Conway through the middle and Seymenyo ‘Wide in the front Three’ I think that what they are saying.

It feels like we all sort of agree and yet I am the only one who is able to state  it ‘ clearly’ as my opinion.

Its not questioning his ability he is an excellent player - I am sure we all agree with that.

Just opinion after all.

We will able to see where Nige plays him as he is hopefully fit to start in the next 2 or 3 games.

Seymenyo is a Wide player in a front three who scores goals….

I knew you would say ‘both’

How did I guess that.

Maybe , just maybe because you actually agree.

And that is ok to say it.

I have already said he proved me wrong and ‘can’ score at this level he is a great player for us.

If we play a back 5 and we do we can only have 3 front players as we need 2 midfielders.

If the 3 are - Conway, Seymenyo and Wieman (my best 3)

Front 3  - who plays through the middle Semenyo or Conway - there is ‘no wrong answer’ it’s just an opinion.

I don't think any of of our front 3 have set positions, it depends on how the play breaks, which markers they feel they can be most effective against and how their partners are placed.

I am just watching Forest Spurs and although Forest have a similar front 3 and they look quite effective, they are much less fluid positionally which is allowing Spurs to cope reasonably well with them.

1 minute ago, Better Red said:

I knew you would say ‘both’

How did I guess that.

Maybe , just maybe because you actually agree.

And that is ok to say it.

I have already said he proved me wrong and ‘can’ score at this level he is a great player for us.

If we play a back 5 and we do we can only have 3 front players as we need 2 midfielders.

If the 3 are - Conway, Seymenyo and Wieman (my best 3)

Front 3  - who plays through the middle Semenyo or Conway - there is ‘no wrong answer’ it’s just an opinion.

No one ‘plays down the (exact) middle

Weimann plays behind the two 

You appear desperate to pigeon hole Semenyo wide in a three to , in some misguided way think it will keep alive your argument , or what’s left of it , that he ‘isn't a striker’

Out of interest , If NP did play him either side in a flat front three - what would you be calling him ? A winger ? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Better Red said:

Everyone disagrees when I say Seymenyo is best wide in a 3

But when I ask who you would play through the middle in a front 3 ?

Everyone seems to says they would play Conway through the middle and Seymenyo ‘Wide in the front Three’ I think that what they are saying.

It feels like we all sort of agree and yet I am the only one who is able to state  it ‘ clearly’ as my opinion.

Its not questioning his ability he is an excellent player - I am sure we all agree with that.

Just opinion after all.

We will able to see where Nige plays him as he is hopefully fit to start in the next 2 or 3 games.

Seymenyo is a Wide player in a front three who scores goals….

Everyone disagrees with you because you are a moron 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Everyone disagrees with you because you are a moron 

Well done great contribution.

12 hours ago, RedHienz said:

Or he is just a troll that has been using several names over the last few years with no actual knowledge about the team. 

Hey Dog.

No knowledge - Yeah right

21 hours ago, Better Red said:

Don’t say both….

I know who I will pick.

AS is not a natural No9 like Conway or Wells, he is a player who will power towards the opposition defence and cause havoc but will get his fair share of goals. He appears to have developed and been coached to do this role and I dare say his assist ratio may be more of an advantage than his goals scored. If he stays after this window and bangs in 10 goals before January and provides the same amount of assists then his value will be significantly more than it is currently and clubs will be clamouring for his services - I hope we can resist and push for a top 6 place but a lot depends on Wells, Weimann & Conway’s form/fitness 

18 hours ago, Better Red said:

I think you are saying Seymeny

Simple question not loaded.

Front 3  - 

who would play down the middle Conway or Seymenyo ?

No right or wrong answer.

Its only an opinion. 

I have said Conway because all my comments above.

We don’t play a front 3 so it’s irrelevant?

We play 2 strikers, so Conway AND Semenyo is possible (though a bit harsh on Wells at the moment)

Why can’t you just accept you’re wrong? Semenyo is not better wide of a 3 as that’s where he was playing when you said he couldn’t score?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

AS is not a natural No9 like Conway or Wells, he is a player who will power towards the opposition defence and cause havoc but will get his fair share of goals. He appears to have developed and been coached to do this role and I dare say his assist ratio may be more of an advantage than his goals scored. If he stays after this window and bangs in 10 goals before January and provides the same amount of assists then his value will be significantly more than it is currently and clubs will be clamouring for his services - I hope we can resist and push for a top 6 place but a lot depends on Wells, Weimann & Conway’s form/fitness 

I think he is a natural no9 / striker.  Is he conventional, maybe not, but I do think he’s a natural.  But it’s just words, so feel free to ignore me ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Better Red said:

Well done great contribution.

No knowledge - Yeah right

Yet here you are demonstrating a lack of any sort of basic understanding, reasoning and above anything a lack skill to engage and admit when your opinions are wrong.

Keep playing on semantics kid.