IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

2 hours ago, Rebounder said:

I was screaming in my head for him to do that and how wrong I was. 

I was the opposite, I was shouting “do him” (as in take on Tom Lees).  Lees through he was going on his left foot, where he has scored some good goals from…but advantage-Semenyo, he has a thunder-bastard capability in both feet.  He stroked that in with his right foot, wasn’t a blast, but was just too quick for Nicholls.

Absolute diamond.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was the opposite, I was shouting “do him” (as in take on Tom Lees).  Lees through he was going on his left foot, where he has scored some good goals from…but advantage-Semenyo, he has a thunder-bastard capability in both feet.  He stroked that in with his right foot, wasn’t a blast, but was just too quick for Nicholls.

Absolute diamond.

First time I've seen him live as I've been away for some time, but I won't make the mistake of thinking he should pass again. 

Edited by Rebounder
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Absolute diamond.

That was the thing for me. Live (Dolman), I thought there was nothing wrong with Nicholl’s positioning - and as the photos show, there wasn’t.

Realistically, that’s the one place you don’t put that shot if you’re taking it on from there. I don’t think the keeper is unsighted (there is a player in front but not fully obstructing view) but if you watch the video his hands aren’t up until it’s past him, and it’s totally within “reachable” distance.

Insane Power.

29C30E8F-9B41-48E7-B4CF-45EBCC965AB5.jpeg

9CFAB2F3-F28E-4C97-8620-F8A9BC4D2BFA.jpeg

6F7605DE-A027-4A26-8845-2D950649524A.jpeg

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 15:14, Better Red said:

First thing is I am not saying his not worth his place in team at the moment.When I said on here that I just don’t think he will make it as a striker I got pelters. He has had a few good games and I got reminded of my post. But I still stand by my option he won’t make a championship  striker. I said he won’t get 10 goals a season and I stand by that call. Wide in a front 3 yes but he still has to score at least 6 a season. If he can’t then for me then we find someone who can. O’Dowda should have been let go for the same reason 2 seasons ago. So if he ain’t a striker then Wells has to play as one of the front 3. If we play with a 2 then for me it’s Martin. Goals win you games and we have to find the right mix of players that in a attacking 3 who get 10 games plus a season. If we don’t then we wont progress to the next level. So for me it’s simple he plays but if he ain’t scoring then we try someone else. For me it’s a bit like Massengo we all want the youngsters to be the answer and we have to give them time but eventually you have to make a honest judgment. Some times it does not work out. Bakinson is now way ahead of him and that was in just 12 months. Time will tale. I know I will get questioned for this post. I am sure I will be reminded of this post if he starts  to score goals. Hopefully I will. But honestly ask yourself is he a championship striker?

Yes. Yes, he is.

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Someone who wasn't a striker would have squared that ball, most of the crowd were screaming at him to do so, but he backed himself.

I think the thought he might have squared it did the keeper. I'm sure he slightly adjusted his positioning to cover this as Semenyo turned inside. This left a slightly bigger gap to hit which the keeper couldn't quite cover.

Like Lees I was convinced he was going to go with his left.  Semenyo is an absolute nightmare for defenders.  You can’t show him either way because he’s got 2 great feet.  If you stand off he’ll just power past you.  We are now seeing that he’s just too good for this level, it’s going to be a nervy day today…. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Absolute diamond.

Pleased to see that u have your finger on the pulse of youth culture Dave .........with your Thunder Bastard reference...Ha! ?

59 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Like Lees I was convinced he was going to go with his left.  Semenyo is an absolute nightmare for defenders.  You can’t show him either way because he’s got 2 great feet.  If you stand off he’ll just power past you.  We are now seeing that he’s just too good for this level, it’s going to be a nervy day today…. 

Plus, over a short distance he’s ridiculously quick.

Stand off him, he runs at you, go tight & he’ll do you for pace, try the physical stuff and it doesn’t work, he’s bloody strong.

Nightmare to play against, last season on a couple of occasions he robbed a defender of the ball due to his acceleration over short distances, as a consequence they dropped deep & so he ran at them.

By the end they are so intimidated they are reduced to hoofing it anywhere when he gets near.

Edited by GrahamC

52 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

I am really not concerned, as I cannot see Antoine going anywhere at this late stage.  I would be more worried about the January window, if he continues to consistently impress?  City quite rightly want big money for him, and i believe Prem teams will be closely monitoring him over the next few months to make sure he is doing it week in, week out?  If he is....then the large bid's might well come in. 

Just gotta hope that we are in the top six, to encourage Antoine to stick around?

Absolute diamond.

I was shouting the same.... Take him on, take him on?

• Like 2

Just now, 2015 said:

Semenyo is a hybrid of Ade Akinbiyi and Leroy Lita. It is freightening to think what he could potentially go on to become if he continues to improve.

Akinbiyi is a great reference, I would agree, same speed and power but even younger so perhaps more potential. 

Tammy is still for me the best we’ve had in decades, finesse and range of finishing but Semenyo is quite something, such an exciting player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, One Team said:

Akinbiyi is a great reference, I would agree, same speed and power but even younger so perhaps more potential. 

Tammy is still for me the best we’ve had in decades, finesse and range of finishing but Semenyo is quite something, such an exciting player. 

Tammy was a brilliant hold up player, finisher in and around the box but I rarely recall him picking the ball up from deep, running at defenders and powering shots passed goalkeepers. Different type of striker I suppose but he was brilliant at what he did and still does.
Semenyo is of the same type as an Akinbiyi and Lita - Pace, power, dribbling. At this level it's devastating.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, One Team said:

Tinnion’s reaction is great on that video!

Watching it live real time from the singing section was just incredible. The movement, pace and sheer power was just unbelievable. You really don’t see many goals like that at this level. 

Said , after watching him for U23s in his return from Newport , he hits the ball with power you rarely see 

At that time he was trying (IMHO) the ball too hard and his shots were flying , a bit wild , generally high , but like rockets

Said at the time that he hits a ball so naturally , that he needed to not try and hit it too hard , but concentrate in hitting the target , ideally picking his spot / area , and his natural power  would bring him goals

It looks to me , that’s what he’s done , he certainly hits the target far more often than he did when he was still raw 

Thunder feet

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

Absolute diamond.

Not sure about that bit Dave, he put his foot through it to the extent he threw himself off his feet. :) 

1 hour ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Nige has said that he’s not expecting any bids as he’s not aware of any serious interest in AS or any of our starlets so far and that it would unusual for the summer window for late bids with no time for recruiting  any other players.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

That was the thing for me. Live (Dolman), I thought there was nothing wrong with Nicholl’s positioning - and as the photos show, there wasn’t.

Realistically, that’s the one place you don’t put that shot if you’re taking it on from there. I don’t think the keeper is unsighted (there is a player in front but not fully obstructing view) but if you watch the video his hands aren’t up until it’s past him, and it’s totally within “reachable” distance.

Insane Power.

29C30E8F-9B41-48E7-B4CF-45EBCC965AB5.jpeg

9CFAB2F3-F28E-4C97-8620-F8A9BC4D2BFA.jpeg

6F7605DE-A027-4A26-8845-2D950649524A.jpeg

⬇️⬇️⬇️

51 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not sure about that bit Dave, he put his foot through it to the extent he threw himself off his feet. :) 

If you watch it again, it’s actually a side foot!

I was thinking yesterday about being like Akinbiyi but on reflection I think he’s going to be a far better player.

Just every time I see him he goes up I’m my estimation and when I first saw him I thought very highly of him.

Thought he should have had the match ball yesterday, played 80 minutes this season and has scored 3 goals

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Plus, over a short distance he’s ridiculously quick.

Stand off him, he runs at you, go tight & he’ll do you for pace, try the physical stuff and it doesn’t work, he’s bloody strong.

Nightmare to play against, last season on a couple of occasions he robbed a defender of the ball due to his acceleration over short distances, as a consequence they dropped deep & so he ran at them.

By the end they are so intimidated they are reduced to hoofing it anywhere when he gets near.

Yep.

Not identical but similar to the Vardy effect when Leicester won the league.  defenders were terrified of him. His presence caused panic before he even did anything.

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

When AS got the ball wide left I, and everyone near me were yelling ‘go for it’ and ‘take him on’ and what a strike!  

You could feel a lift of excitement that spread through the stadium when he picked up the ball. Whenever he has it near the box and a slither of space the ball really could end up in the goal at any given point. Thrilling player 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

You could feel a lift of excitement that spread through the stadium when he picked up the ball. Whenever he has it near the box and a slither of space the ball really could end up in the goal at any given point. Thrilling player 

Absolutely. It’s brilliant to have a player who can score goals like that and strike fear into defences.