Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Henri Lansbury- Comfirmed signing

Just now, bris red said:

In fairness as @Kid in the Riot has pointed out he is here on a short term deal until the end of the season.. financially it is much less of a commitment than signing Walsh on say a 3 or 4 deal at £10 k a week..

We also have the money potentially saved by Brunt terminating his contract.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think it could be a decent enough signing. If he stays fit then he's a quality operator at this level. Only here for 3.5 months so no big waste of funds.

Mutual termination of contract shows he had a willingness to come and play first team football. 

I mean he turned it down earlier when he was left out the Premier League squad, so not that committed to playing. No shame or blame, could be his last pay day, has to do what's right for him.

It's a waste of funds and can hurt the minutes the players who will be here next year at the worst. But on the positive we're trying to win, by signing a guy with a lot of ability if fit.

When was the last player with the "if fit" tag that stayed fit for us?

Here until the end of the season. I feel more comfortable with that. Whether he’s playing to earn a longer deal here or elsewhere, it should hopefully mean he’s eager to do well and prove a point. 

• Like 1

Interesting signing this.

Always liked him when he played but.... no games this year, prone to a knock, Joe Williams and Jamie Paterson getting fit again, Vyner in good form in midfield, formation (currently working apparently) only allows for two centre midfielders.... what now for Massengo? Walsh?

I will reserve judgement until he has had a few weeks here but our transfer policy is surprising at the moment to say the least.

4 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I mean he turned it down earlier when he was left out the Premier League squad, so not that committed to playing. No shame or blame, could be his last pay day, has to do what's right for him.

It's a waste of funds and can hurt the minutes the players who will be here next year at the worst. But on the positive we're trying to win, by signing a guy with a lot of ability if fit.

When was the last player with the "if fit" tag that stayed fit for us?

Adam Webster. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Stop with the Robins State TV BS as well.

two seasons after he helped Villa reach the Premier League, while he also helped Norwich and West Ham United to promotion into the top flight.

He played 3 times!

He has a proven track record both in the Premier League

He has like under 20 Premier appearances in his entire career.

"Chris is going to be very useful to us on and off the field,"

“Henri will add to the group both on and off the pitch. "

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Could be a very good signing.

Short term contract & No FFP to worry about.

Stop getting sand in your vag some of you with the normal crap.

Wages might be an issue.

Can't afford that way too high.

Wages might be an issue, oh not that again.

Way out of our league (what league 1 when we get relegated for not spending :laugh:)

Wages might be an issue :laugh:

Chill out!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not saying I’d sign him, just explaining the financial side, as some are giving the impression that we would be paying him serious wages, whereas I think Villa mutually terminating gives an opportunity for a sensible wage....albeit that could still be deemed high in this climate.

Who knows, it might be a 6 month deal, with a year option.

🤣🤣🤣

When I read it would be a perm I thought we'd be paying a fee and offering a medium term contract, so I was happy to see his contract terminated and confirmation of a short term deal til the end of the season. There's a good player in there certainly but despite the fact the termination of his contract should reduce the wages we'd otherwise be paying, I can imagine he's added a decent wedge onto the wage bill. There won't be any resale value IF we did extend his contract at the end of the season either. The rest of our business in 2021 will be interesting viewing.

Please prove me wrong but everything that Henri Lanbury is & was ... has happened in the past.

We are just getting a surplus of over-bloat in a midfield that we didn't ask for now.

Nagy, Bakinson, Vyner & Massengo could keep this wage hogger out of the team anyway.

38 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Stop with the Robins State TV BS as well.

two seasons after he helped Villa reach the Premier League, while he also helped Norwich and West Ham United to promotion into the top flight.

He played 3 times!

He has a proven track record both in the Premier League

He has like under 20 Premier appearances in his entire career.

"Chris is going to be very useful to us on and off the field,"

“Henri will add to the group both on and off the pitch. "

Villa promotion year. It was actually 1 start, 2 subs. Totalling 98 minutes. 
The 1 start was last day of the season and they lost. 

Had more of a hand (slightly) in the Norwich 09/10 and West Ham 10/11 promotions. Norwich, 15 starts, total of 1,405 mins (equivalent of 15.5 games). West Ham, 13 starts, total of 1,304 mins (equivalent of 15 games total). 
Spells at Watford and Forest, generally saw him finish in mid to bottom of the table (16th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 16th, 21st). 

Premier league record with Villa. 2 starts, and a total minutes played of 187. 

As said in my previous post, he’s a damn fine player. But once again the ‘dressing up’ from the club media is overblown. 

Yes, he’s had 3 promotions from the champ, over only 31 games (1 totally non-contributory). He’s then been a player pretty much performing as a mid-table championship player. With 187 minutes of premier league experience (not sure how that has been egged as “proven premier league track record”). 
As said, good player. Let’s not overdo the hype though, hey. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

Please prove me wrong but everything that Henri Lanbury is & was ... has happened in the past.

We are just getting a surplus of over-bloat in a midfield that we didn't ask for now.

Nagy, Bakinson, Vyner & Massengo could keep this wage hogger out of the team anyway.

Who was that other midfielder we were linked with for years, Darren Caskey? Hope it don't turn out like that! 

4 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

very happy with this signing.....said we've beaten other clubs to his signature.....Watford Norwich etc, would be interested to know why he chose us over them.

Because he wouldn’t be in their starting line up. 

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Villa promotion year. It was actually 1 start, 2 subs. Totalling 98 minutes. 
The 1 start was last day of the season and they lost. 

Had more of a hand (slightly) in the Norwich 09/10 and West Ham 10/11 promotions. Norwich, 15 starts, total of 1,405 mins (equivalent of 15.5 games). West Ham, 13 starts, total of 1,304 mins (equivalent of 15 games total). 
Spells at Watford and Forest, generally saw him finish in mid to bottom of the table (16th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 16th, 21st). 

Premier league record with Villa. 2 starts, and a total minutes played of 187. 

As said in my previous post, he’s a damn fine player. But once again the ‘dressing up’ from the club media is overblown. 

Yes, he’s had 3 promotions from the champ, over only 31 games (1 totally non-contributory). He’s then been a player pretty much performing as a mid-table championship player. With 187 minutes of premier league experience (not sure how that has been egged as “proven premier league track record”). 
As said, good player. Let’s not overdo the hype though, hey. 

Our official Twitter account makes me want to puke, I've stopped reading it altogether this season

1 minute ago, RedJim said:

Our official Twitter account makes me want to puke, I've stopped reading it altogether this season

It’s not the Twitter account that makes up this bull. It’s our wonderful spiel-meister general. 
He couldn’t just say “he’s a vastly experienced championship player”. That would be the actual truth. And certainly no bad thing. 
No, we gotta ham it right up and say “proven premier league player”. 1 start Mark. 1 start - 187 total minutes - over 2 seasons. And the 1 start was a 3-0 defeat to Watford!! Jeez. There’s just no need. Just be straight and honest. He’s a vastly experienced player at this level. That’s all we need to know. The truth. 

• Like 4
Just now, Harry said:

It’s not the Twitter account that makes up this bull. It’s our wonderful spiel-meister general. 
He couldn’t just say “he’s a vastly experienced championship player”. That would be the actual truth. And certainly no bad thing. 
No, we gotta ham it right up and say “proven premier league player”. 1 start Mark. 1 start - 187 total minutes - over 2 seasons. And the 1 start was a 3-0 defeat to Watford!! Jeez. There’s just no need. Just be straight and honest. He’s a vastly experienced player at this level. That’s all we need to know. The truth. 

Its a funny thing to say isn’t it? “Proven Premier League Player”. 

Why say it? As you say, tell it like it is. Almost like he is convincing himself. Don’t get it. Lansbury is a decent player and may knit our lot together bit this hyperbole is patronising.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Steve Lansdown told us we needed a breath of fresh air. We all got excited. We appointed Dean Holden. 

Im not sure anyone would have been particularly upset with Holden if it hadn’t been for SL’s wise words. 

Signing Lansbury is similar in my opinion. No one would complain about us signing him if Ashton hadn’t just pleaded poverty in respect of offering Walsh a contract. 

What is going on?

Future Financial Information and March FFP submissions could be one of the factors here- the two do overlap and 6 month deal is a lot easier to fit into that framework given the lack of revenue.

*Wages permitting of course.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Couldn't care less what he's done in his career before today, my only interest is what he does in a City shirt.

Like most footballers at our level they've had up and down careers, give him a chance and hopefully he'll improve the side over the remainder of the season 

• Like 9

Happier now I've seen it's an initial 6 months. Always considered him a decent player at this level, but hes not played much. 

Reading between the lines I'm guessing this means Liam Walsh is still a long way off being ready to play. If he can hit some form and get the midfield going then it could be a very exciting signing indeed.

• Like 1