IGNORED

Us against the Rams in Division 1 days.

City oz

Looking back and remembering some classic football matches against Derby in the late 70s bring back some memorable memories when we played then at Ashton Gate and away before the Pride Park days. they were also a bit like us and struggled to stay in Division 1 and all our matches were close ones. 

76,77 and 78 and up to 1980 ones I remember well. home matches then we watched from the Enclosure for those of you that remember this area. It was in front of the Grand stand and had a great view. 

76/77 against the Rams I think we went down away and then drew at home. 77/78 I remember Tommy sticks Ritchie bagging a couple and Gillies getting one and we won 3-1.

The only one season in this era we had a double was around 78/79. 

Then we all know what happened in 79/80 we got relegated . But I do remember we  did well away that season against Derby for a 3-3 draw.

well I got me cider army tee shirt on today and hoping we get a win. COYR

I remember possibly the most blatant handball I ever saw back then. John Shaw (I think) launched a clearance towards the Park End and Colin Todd decided he wasn`t going to get a head on it so just caught the ball. The ref wasn`t quite sure what to do - he couldn`t believe it. Red card now but I don`t think Todd even got booked.

Was in the Schoolboys for the 6-2, down the Open End end. Always stood that end or side of the Schoolboys for some reason. Howard Pritchard did well that day, think. I don't think we scored six under Dicks very often (so that's the entire 1970s). Collector's item win, that one. Not that it led to anything good.

When did we next score six (in League or the two proper cups)?

An even better FA Cup win than the 6-2 v Derby was the 2-1 replay win in 1909 as it took City to our only Final in the competition. Derby were a second division club then but ran City of the first very close in the semi indeed it was a last kick of the game penalty winner from Rippon that put us through to our date with Man Utd at Crystal Palace. Rippon, our goalscoring talisman in the cup that year, missed the Final through injury. 

Went to most of the City away games at the Baseball Ground in the top flight. Not a very welcoming place!

Always trouble just outside where the 2 sets of fans, who'd been baiting each other from fairly close quarters all game, were let out of 2 exits a few yards away from each other. On a couple of occasions Derby fans had shown themselves in our end (side) and were eventually led out at the side of the pitch to cheers from their fans to our right.

One time police horses charged in to separate the fans outside but 1 City fan got isolated on the wrong side and we could see him getting a dreadful pounding from a mob of Derby fans. Amongst the worst things I've seen at a football match.

Another time we were walking away down the narrow tunnel outside the away end when trouble started behind us and a City fan with his leg in plaster, and on crutches, turned round and hobbled back as fast as he could, desperate to join in. That was the match when they had surprised us with an outrageous entry fee (£4?) and many of the City fans lining up to go in were furious as they didn't have enough money on them to get in.

The most memorable one was probably the Tom Ritchie 3-3 draw, though on that occasion I was with my girlfriend and we paid for seats in the stand opposite the City fans so had a good view of all the shenanigans from up there.

Always seemed to be very cold, dark, wet and windy there, a very aggressive atmosphere, and the renowned dreadful quagmire of a pitch of course!

14 hours ago, handsofclay said:

An even better FA Cup win than the 6-2 v Derby was the 2-1 replay win in 1909 as it took City to our only Final in the competition. Derby were a second division club then but ran City of the first very close in the semi indeed it was a last kick of the game penalty winner from Rippon that put us through to our date with Man Utd at Crystal Palace. Rippon, our goalscoring talisman in the cup that year, missed the Final through injury. 

Wow, great memory especially given your age mate.

6 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Remember being at The Baseball for a late 70's game where Norman Hunter got sent off. It may even have been his debut? Someone correct me please? 

Hunter made his debut for us at the Baseball Ground  but was never sent off for City against Derby. You are conflating his infamous sending off in a Match of the Day spat with Franny Lee against Derby for Leeds the previous season with his debut for us, his first match back at the Baseball Ground since the fight with Lee. 

27 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Hunter made his debut for us at the Baseball Ground  but was never sent off for City against Derby. You are conflating his infamous sending off in a Match of the Day spat with Franny Lee against Derby for Leeds the previous season with his debut for us, his first match back at the Baseball Ground since the fight with Lee. 

Thanks. He must have been booked then. I remember him getting pelters from the Derby crowd. Did we lose 3-0 that day? 

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I remember that game. Was pleasantly surprised by Hunter's cultured distribution of the ball, which was in complete contrast to his more popular reputation as a hard as nails enforcer.

Archived