IGNORED

Brentford (A) - Wed 3rd Feb 19:45 - Matchday thread

Game polls.  

267 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome be?

2. 2. How many will Brentford score?

3. 3. How many shots on target will we have?

4. 4. Where is the game being shown?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/21 at 19:46

We will see how good we really are in Feb - I can see us being below mid-table as we go into March, based on our next six league games!

6 losses away from home in the last 6 games is pretty damning too.

Think the “plan” was always just to survive this season, re-group (potentially with a new Head Coach if the club is generating income again) and go again......

Also likely to see a big turnover of players again, given the number we have OOC

42 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We? It's one man's club.

That’s true but it’s the same for every league team apart from a couple of lower league community teams.  If SL went, all that would happen would be another billionaire would come in and take his place. IMO a new owner would be far worse as most have a short term money making model - eg sell the ground and borrow a lot of dosh. It’s always been the same with just, in the past, the owner was typically a local businessman who had a couple of million in the bank. He would typically be a local supporter of the club - eg Harry Dolman and the club would be safe. I find it funny when people talk about “my club”. Fans are customers. 

32 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would be interested to see what their net spend is in comparison to ours. I would imagine ours is a fair bit higher.

A quick totting up based on using on figures quoted by Transfermarkt.co.uk (Yes I know not 100% reliable) shows Brentford have a transfer income of around £141 million over the past 4 seasons with an expenditure of just over £49 million. This returns a gross transfer profit of £92 million.

In comparison our transfer income is £77 million, with an expenditure of almost £51 million showing a gross transfer profit of £26 million.

The more savvy accounting bods on here will know more detail and be to explain the nuance of why these are simplistic ways of looking at it but in simple gross terms our expenditures are not that far apart over 4 years. The difference being that they have received far greater incomings which I would expect means they could potentially afford more in terms of wages, signing on fees and bonuses?

4 minutes ago, redrob said:

A quick totting up based on using on figures quoted by Transfermarkt.co.uk (Yes I know not 100% reliable) shows Brentford have a transfer income of around £141 million over the past 4 seasons with an expenditure of just over £49 million. This returns a gross transfer profit of £92 million.

In comparison our transfer income is £77 million, with an expenditure of almost £51 million showing a gross transfer profit of £26 million.

The more savvy accounting bods on here will know more detail and be to explain the nuance of why these are simplistic ways of looking at it but in simple gross terms our expenditures are not that far apart over 4 years. The difference being that they have received far greater incomings which I would expect means they could potentially afford more in terms of wages, signing on fees and bonuses?

Similar expenditure figures then RR with vastly different results. 

Beggars the question, why are we doing things so badly comparatively? As many people have said tonight, they are way ahead of us. 

2 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Are you kidding? Hes been immense and our defence has looked a hundred times better with him in it. He got to the ball ahead of Fosu there. He got very unlucky. Let's not over-analyse it and start rewritting history.

I think it was a rare mistake from him and I'm not going to criticise him for it because he's immense as you say. I've thought a few times since his return that he doesn't seem to be running fluidly, it's not something that I've noticed before.  

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Its strange though how since their promotion from league 1 , they have continued this season after season. Not even sure how many times they have made the champ playoffs. 3 or 4? 

I thought they would become a Peterborough and have their spell in championship then drop but make profits using the money ball project.

Very impressive.....Anyway my knees are hurting.

If you look at their positions, they've actually had ups and downs. We finished above them just 2 seasons ago eg.

Their progress has been very impressive though, I agree.

30 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Similar expenditure figures then RR with vastly different results. 

Beggars the question, why are we doing things so badly comparatively? As many people have said tonight, they are way ahead of us. 

Cuts both ways though. Birmingham had a wage bill exceeding £30m in each of the last two seasons, maybe 3 and finished in the bottom half on all 3 occasions, twice near the drop.

Reading wage bill 2018/19, £40m I believe. Lower midtable, maybe bit even all that far from bottom 3. 

I do think Brentford do fantastically with their system though- pound for pound, the most efficient over time in this division?

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd be surprised if either goes down and for both the only way is - slowly - up.

If we have another season with "Deano" I wouldn't rule out us being a club with "barely a sniff of the play-offs" despite a fairly hefty investment prior to this season.

A bit late for that.

Wells 5m, Fammy 5m, Kalas 8m, Palmer 2m, Massengo 2m, Nagy 2m, Hunt 1m, COD 1m, Wiener 2m, Bentley 2m, Baker 3m etc...

We have spent a fortune and we are no where near the playoffs...

Whilst the scoreline was 3-2, the performance was 5-0.  God knows how we managed to get 2.

The players ARE good enough, but the coaching certainly isn't.  A decent German manager would have this squad in the top 6 easily.

I'm sure that DH and his useless coaches are costing us a lot of money and not adding anything between them. I guess they will be given until the end of the season, but after that, we need a gaffer who understands tactics and man management rather than someone who read the FA's coaching textbook.  This is even worse than LJ.

I don't think it was a 5-0 game.

3-2 might have flattered us a bit, by which I mean the late Wells goal but definitely not a 5 goal deficit! Definitely not.

As far as (League) away games go, it's a low bar but best in a while. Our season won't be decided by an improvement in display but ultimately deserved loss at Brentford.

Far more damaging is home losses with barely any shots vs Birmingham and Millwall, not digging out a point (at worst) in games like Rotherham, Preston, Luton, Derby.

Not saying we should have emerged undefeated from all but we got zero points from these!

Archived