IGNORED

Anyone else thing we'll struggle to find a decent coach?

spudski

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Keep saying it but SL pays Pat Lam a lot for a Rugby coach. He's seen it pay off whilst wasting money on shitehawks in football who we'll be paying ongoing. 

Must have dawned on him that it's a false economy. He might look for a similar type. Someone with a bit of gravitas and charisma but a clear edge.

We all said this back in the summer though. It clearly hadn't dawned on him then as he appointed Holden. What's changed?

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We all said this back in the summer though. It clearly hadn't dawned on him then as he appointed Holden. What's changed?

Hopefully his continual appointments of the wrong man. He referenced needing to review his own performance on sound of the city, so perhaps he’s had his epiphany. We can but dream, but I get the feeling the penny might have finally dropped. 

19 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Keep saying it but SL pays Pat Lam a lot for a Rugby coach. He's seen it pay off whilst wasting money on shitehawks in football who we'll be paying ongoing. 

Must have dawned on him that it's a false economy. He might look for a similar type. Someone with a bit of gravitas and charisma but a clear edge.

And as has been said many times the football club expenses are about 6 times the cost of the rugby ones, he can afford to go and get Pat Lam and top players in rugby because its still a fraction of the cost of even getting a lower end championship head coach/manager

Just now, Redpool said:

I’m starting to pickup confidence it will be Appleton..

Appleton deservedly earned a reputation for jumping ship in his early managerial career. He's been at Lincoln City less than eighteen months and has a very good chance of leading them to promotion this season. Taking the Bristol City job now would reinforce the old accusation of disloyalty. I'd trust he would see the Ashton Gate vacancy as an attractive one but not for him at present.

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Any candidate worth his salt would do his research on the club, including undoubtedly reading Otib.  Thus our chances of recruiting anyone from outside the club will be severely limited by facts

I can't  decide which I find the more unlikely; managerial candidates researching the club via OTIB, or the proposition that there are facts on OTIB! 

Theres clearly two options here

1) get someone in till end of season then reassess. Im sure this was the plan with Holden but it went spectacularly wrong. A win on saturday for simpson and weirder things have happened. This will only happen with a currently unemployed manager

2) go out and get the manager you want now, doesnt matter if they are employed. 

Im not sure which way city will go. I am pretty certain holden was just a stop shop manager. Is this because they already have someone lined up or because they didnt really fancy anyone last summer, or because of total incompetence 

25 minutes ago, Hocca said:

Why are we never linked with European managers? It’s always the same boring English names it’s just so dull. Let’s try doing something similar to Brentford, Norwich and Barnsley in appointing a manger from a different European league with fresh ideas , new training methods and a new range of scouting targets. I just want some excitement for once 

That could have happened in the summer or even after this season ends, but no way could you now bring in a European coach who has no idea of the championship, has to be someone who will hit the ground running 

16 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

And as has been said many times the football club expenses are about 6 times the cost of the rugby ones, he can afford to go and get Pat Lam and top players in rugby because its still a fraction of the cost of even getting a lower end championship head coach/manager

Pat Lam gets paid more than Holden did. And Johnson. 

He can afford what he wants.  What is a waste of money is paying money to people you've sacked as well as the current people because they're not up to it.  Better off just investing more in the key position at the club and getting that right.

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think any seriously good coach would demand a top down clear out.

Ashton has been a failure and is hated by the fans

Coaching staff have shown nothing in terms of player improvement and organisation

Medical staff, no need to say more

Dressing room seems wrong when players constantly follow one improved performance with a dreadful display.

For me the best solution would be to look for a very experienced manager almost ready to move upstairs. Give him total control of all football matters, ask him to appoint a good number 2 and when he us ready promote the young guy and move the older guy upstairs.

I am putting on my flak hat before the next line but what about Roy Hodgson 

Good god, no

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

This is the popular but incorrect conclusion to draw, I'm afraid

It isn't about spending 6 times the amount of money on the football side of things. It isn't about money at all !

It's about appointing a football man who has achieved similar to Lam.

In other words, someone who can turn an underdog team, from a sporting backwater, into a success via excellent coaching and a bit of canny recruitment.

Connacht were just making up the numbers until Lam arrived and turned them into Pro14 champions, i.e. the best team in Ireland/Wales/Scotland. A phenomenal achievement. 

Appoint a football man who has similar personal qualities to Lam - easier said than done because he's a remarkable individual but what would we give for a similarly charismatic leader, what would the players give for a similarly astute and inspirational leader? What would Steve Lansdown give? Hopefully, not before time, whatever it takes.   

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This is the popular but incorrect conclusion to draw, I'm afraid

It isn't about spending 6 times the amount of money on the football side of things. It isn't about money at all !

It's about appointing a football man who has achieved similar to Lam.

In other words, someone who can turn an underdog team, from a sporting backwater, into a success via excellent coaching and a bit of canny recruitment.

Connacht were just making up the numbers until Lam arrived and turned them into Pro14 champions, i.e. the best team in Ireland/Wales/Scotland. A phenomenal achievement. 

Appoint a football man who has similar personal qualities to Lam - easier said than done because he's a remarkable individual but what would we give for a similarly charismatic leader, what would the players give for a similarly astute and inspirational leader? What would Steve Lansdown give? Hopefully, not before time, whatever it takes.   

The common line about Lam isn't about that when it comes to fans though, the line is 'Lansdown is willing to appoint one of the best coaches in the world for rugby' it doesn't mention his jobs elsewhere etc

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The common line about Lam isn't about that when it comes to fans though, the line is 'Lansdown is willing to appoint one of the best coaches in the world for rugby' it doesn't mention his jobs elsewhere etc

Yes and the common line is uninformed. Which is what I'm pointing out. 

If the common line thinks Lansdown will spend 6 x the amount on a football coach compared to his rugby coach, the common line's a fkwit. Whodda thunk it.

The common line is right to draw a comparison with the rugby but is motivated to do so by the wrong reasons.

The right reasons are those I listed above.

This is why, when Lansdown did that recent-ish Q&A with his puppet Dave Barton, he was allowed to answer a question about the rugby by asserting he spends far, far, far, far more money on the football - as if that was the answer we were looking for, when any halfwit knows that already. The question Barton should have asked when bringing up the rugby was "Why don't you appoint someone with similar coaching achievements to Pat Lam". But the chances of any interesting or "difficult" questions being asked during such a stage-managed charade are slim to none.   

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes and the common line is uninformed. Which is what I'm pointing out. 

If the common line thinks Lansdown will spend 6 x the amount on a football coach compared to his rugby coach, the common line's a fkwit. Whodda thunk it.

The common line is right to draw a comparison with the rugby but is motivated to do so by the wrong reasons.

The right reasons are those I listed above.

This is why, when Lansdown did that recent-ish Q&A with his puppet Dave Barton, he was allowed to answer a question about the rugby by asserting he spends far, far, far, far more money on the football - as if that was the answer we were looking for, when any halfwit knows that already. The question Barton should have asked when bringing up the rugby was "Why don't you appoint someone with similar coaching achievements to Pat Lam". But the chances of any interesting or "difficult" questions being asked during such a stage-managed charade are slim to none.   

I don't object to the logic behind someone like Lam in your post, I just object when I see people relate it to cost, the post I quoted said 'SL pays PL a lot of money', that doesn't talk about his past coaching experience it purely says chequebook.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

...firstly the pool is small to choose from, which has been discussed before, because of the way the club works/ restraints etc. Not many would agree to work under it.

But then on top of that...so many injuries to the squad to key players.

Who's going to want that job?

Pressure straight away, with half a squad and not able to buy.

I feel for the next coach whoever it is.

I think you are right unless we change the job role we are recruiting for we will struggle like we did in the summer.

If I was Steve Lansdown I would be bypassing Ashton and speaking with candidates to see why the likes of Cook are put off the role or not deemed suitable. I suspect Ashton and his control is the biggest issue.

Only Lansdown can change the vision and how the club operates. Is he willing to, that is the question?

1 minute ago, Dynamite Red said:

I think you are right unless we change the job role we are recruiting for we will struggle like we did in the summer.

If I was Steve Lansdown I would be bypassing Ashton and speaking with candidates to see why the likes of Cook are put off the role or not deemed suitable. I suspect Ashton and his control is the biggest issue.

Only Lansdown can change the vision and how the club operates. Is he willing to, that is the question?

I honestly don't think they'll change the remit. 

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I honestly don't think they'll change the remit. 

I agree, and what respectable manager will work under those circumstances?

Pretty much saying there role is a reduced position with little or no input into recruitment and strategy or even there backroom staff. 

I think the summer showed exactly the type of candidate willing to accept those conditions. 

31 minutes ago, Sarumred said:

I had no idea who Russell Martin is until I googled his name!!

"Some early names we're hearing include Paul Cook, Michael Appleton and Russell Martin. Our understanding is that the club is looking for a more experienced manager this time, ideally though. Nobody lined up. #BristolCity don't speak to people behind the head coach's back." 

- Russell Martin is not even that experienced though?!

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

If Martin or Appleton (League one managers) are best we can come up with i will be seriously pissed.

League one managers. How very ambitious

Didn't this happen last time though as well.  The new manager poll, the odds, the excitement....only to get the assistant manager.

We shouldn't expect not to be shocked again

Archived