Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

3 Peaps In A PodCast Steve Lansdown


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Decent.

I had to move the bird feeder to do the decking and got my first visitor - Blue Tit flew into the olive tree next door, onto the fence, onto the feeder. Hopefully he's off telling his mates as we speak. Marvellous. We've gone from tits on the pitch to Tits on the feeder.  

Advise you to keep your bird feeder under camouflage if possible.

Having got a new upright stand and relocated the bird feeders more centrally in the garden (instead of hanging within the high, mature, Pyracantha at the back) I thought we'd have a far better view of the the birds feeding.

Unfortunately not only us - yesterday witnessed a Sparrowhawk swoop in a blur to take a Sparrow away, and leave the bird feeder swinging with the sudden impact.

Feel quite guilty to have left them so exposed, feeders now returned to the more protective sanctuary of the Pyracantha.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

This is the end ....

There is no doubt in my mind that this will sooner or later lead to unprecedented disaster and unmitigated ruin (without the glorious spell at the top level and FA cup final triumph and subsequent European odyssey), and that we will before too long be pine-ing wistfully for the steady, safe and local stewardship of Uncle Steve (as some dodgy, overseas money takes us back to liquidation and relegation and dire Bristol derbies and days of Gillingham and Walsall and yore ..... )

So, we must make the most of what we have now. This just will not go well.

I fear this too.

Dint get here wrong I don’t think Steve Lansdown is an altruistic saviour. He’s made mistakes.

But in this day and age the only other type of investors appear unsavory and uncaring.

Heavy sigh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Advise you to keep your bird feeder under camouflage if possible.

Having got a new upright stand and relocated the bird feeders more centrally in the garden (instead of hanging within the high, mature, Pyracantha at the back) I thought we'd have a far better view of the the birds feeding.

Unfortunately not only us - yesterday witnessed a Sparrowhawk swoop in a blur to take a Sparrow away, and leave the bird feeder swinging with the sudden impact.

Feel quite guilty to have left them so exposed, feeders now returned to the more protective sanctuary of the Pyracantha.

 

I love the sparrowhawk (would rather it took magpies/jackdaws, though. Or the many plump wood pigeons). Never once seen mine catch anything, and I've been observing him, and her, for years now. Must be a L1 sparrowhawk I reckon. Doing the 5:2 diet or something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I love the sparrowhawk (would rather it took magpies/jackdaws, though. Or the many plump wood pigeons). Never once seen mine catch anything, and I've been observing him, and her, for years now. Must be a L1 sparrowhawk I reckon. Doing the 5:2 diet or something. 

Only the 2nd kill we've seen in the many years we've had up to 30 Sparrows at a time in our Pyracantha.

The previous one we watched as it dilligently de-feathered his victim over many minutes before devouring.

Agree about Magpies, nothing at all to recommend them, but we've got a resident Wood Pigeon who waddles around hoovering up any spillage from the feeders.

A comical character, and we'd miss him.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a scoop for the 3 Peaps guys by the way!

Revelations include the following:

1. We thought we could buy some time to buy a manager with the assistants "but that didn't work out, and they admitted it as well."

2. "A lot of [manager candidates] on our list were longer terms projects."

3. "Nigel...had made enquiries through his representatives." So NP applied, not headhunted.

4. "We'll make decisions in the next few weeks."

5. Lansdown didn't think LJ was ready for us but LJ was persuasive and was appointed.

6. LJ didn't have the "calm nous" required and made "too many changes..."

7. Supporters clubs and trusts "become like political movements."

8. There's a "disease through football..." whereby fans perhaps "supporters want to feel disengaged because then they've got something to moan about."

9. "Actively looking for investors..."

10. He theorises that the facilities are so comfortable at home that the players can't raise their game.

He's got a very rambly way of speaking and says some odd things. He probably could have held back some of those statements!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mozo said:

10. He theorises that the facilities are so comfortable at home that the players can't raise their game.

 

Thought it was the other way round and they raise their game away because the facilities can be poor at the moment - portacabins, no/cold showers etc so it's an us against the world sort of mentality?

Also I think he made it clear many of our players really miss the encouragement from our home fans, and, for whatever reason, he feels we suffer more than most other clubs in having an empty stadium.

Also thinks away teams prosper from AG obviously not having it's usual hostile atmosphere.

In fact, he seems to quite rate us supporters in positively influencing performances and results despite what some say to the contrary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Thought it was the other way round and they raise their game away because the facilities can be poor at the moment - portacabins, no/cold showers etc so it's an us against the world sort of mentality?

Also I think he made it clear many of our players really miss the encouragement from our home fans, and, for whatever reason, he feels we suffer more than most other clubs in having an empty stadium.

Also thinks away teams prosper from AG obviously not having it's usual hostile atmosphere.

In fact, he seems to quite rate us supporters in positively influencing performances and results despite what some say to the contrary.

I think he said that the players raise their game away from home due to the adverse environment which garners a "Dunkirk" spirit, but need the crowd to lift their spirits at home because they don't have the adverse conditions. 

Begs the question, why would this happen to City but not other teams?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mozo said:

I think he said that the players raise their game away from home due to the adverse environment which garners a "Dunkirk" spirit, but need the crowd to lift their spirits at home because they don't have the adverse conditions. 

Begs the question, why would this happen to City but not other teams?

It’s all just excuses, an easy cop out excuse. They bring it out on robinstv as well “need to fans to suck the goal into the net”. What always gets left out though, is that we were this bad at home with fans in the ground too. It’s been probably 3 calendar years that we’ve been poor at home now. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Advise you to keep your bird feeder under camouflage if possible.

Having got a new upright stand and relocated the bird feeders more centrally in the garden (instead of hanging within the high, mature, Pyracantha at the back) I thought we'd have a far better view of the the birds feeding.

Unfortunately not only us - yesterday witnessed a Sparrowhawk swoop in a blur to take a Sparrow away, and leave the bird feeder swinging with the sudden impact.

Feel quite guilty to have left them so exposed, feeders now returned to the more protective sanctuary of the Pyracantha.

 

Yes, on reflection the feeder was probably too exposed - like Dan Bentley! - to attract any visitors.

Now it's placed where the birds have somewhere to dive for cover if they sense danger, so hopefully they'll feel better protected now - as if Norman Hunter and Shaun Taylor are standing guard.

Apologies for the appalling football analogies! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It’s all just excuses, an easy cop out excuse. They bring it out on robinstv as well “need to fans to suck the goal into the net”. What always gets left out though, is that we were this bad at home with fans in the ground too. It’s been probably 3 calendar years that we’ve been poor at home now. 

And let's face it Pete, I'm a proud City fan but we're hardly Borrussia Dortmund! Besides a handful of memorable games, Ashton Gate has a tendency to be a theatre of groans.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mozo said:

I think he said that the players raise their game away from home due to the adverse environment which garners a "Dunkirk" spirit, but need the crowd to lift their spirits at home because they don't have the adverse conditions. 

Begs the question, why would this happen to City but not other teams?

Agreed, a little puzzling.

Our hostile atmosphere - and it certainly was - has definitely been reduced in recent years, both by long term stultifying fare on the pitch and over zealous stewarding.

Presumably he can't do much about the over attentive stewarding, but he has no doubt concluded that if a Bristol City manager can produce rousing football then we have enough passionate fans to be roused more than most.

Also that we have accumulated a great number of players for whom this passionate atmosphere (including the occasional vocal 'kick up the backside') is essential for them to perform well at AG - in fact perform at all, by the looks of it.

I think (hope) he believes Pearson - by producing far more exciting football, to, in turn, rally the fans, and getting rid of the many players who are evidently too set in their lethargic ways to respond to either him or the fans - is the man to solve these problems.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, eric04 said:

Steve has ploughed a lot of his “profits” from Hargreaves/Lansdown into Bristol City. Jon will inherit a lot of money, no doubt, but doesn’t have a money-making company of his own to keep ploughing further cash in. In essence he’ll instead be spending his inheritance on City. I’m not sure he wants to do that. 

Ah, got you.  Ta.

Yes, agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2021 at 08:08, Rule The Waves said:

Hardly.

Lansdown Jr has failed at / given up on multiple different career paths over the years, particularly those which involve him standing on his own 2 feet.

The only things he has stuck at are those things which Lansdowns Sr have set him up at and maintained an active involvement in I.e. Bristol Sport and property.

But I think @Johnny Musicworkss comment was about Jon’s ambitions, which is possibly a very different thing to your view about whether he’ll be successful at them!

Steve always used to talk about the need for the club to become self sufficient, to be able to support itself without his annual investment. If he’s now talking about the need for additional, or longer term, investment then presumably self sufficiency without the necessity for a wealthy owner in no longer an objective?.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, italian dave said:

But I think @Johnny Musicworkss comment was about Jon’s ambitions, which is possibly a very different thing to your view about whether he’ll be successful at them!

Steve always used to talk about the need for the club to become self sufficient, to be able to support itself without his annual investment. If he’s now talking about the need for additional, or longer term, investment then presumably self sufficiency without the necessity for a wealthy owner in no longer an objective?.

Yes I’m not sure what the multiple career paths that Jon has failed at are but it’s clear that he is a very different character to his father who is very much of a financial background. At the same time it’s easy to say that everything has been gifted to him by daddy but do we really know what his input at Board level is or what other business interests or ambitions he has.
 

He may well be instrumental in developing the brand/brands and clearly spends time in the USA, one of the likely sources of investment. It is also quite possible that he has ambitions beyond what we yet know that may or may not affect the Bristol Sport stable. Like most sons of successful fathers the ‘Daddy’s boy’ tag by which he is often dismissed on here is something he will only lose by starting/developing something of his own. That may well fire an ambition that backs up what Steve said about Jon maybe not being in it for the next 30 years. 
 

Jon compared with most if not all of us has been dealt a very favourable hand in respect of future life options and expectations but I sense he has much more about him than some would have us believe. If he brings investment that secures our long term future (pure speculation on my part) we could be singing his praises for generations to come. As Steve’s heir one way or another he will be instrumental in the future of all the Bristol Sport brands whether he stays long term or goes in the coming few years. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Yes I’m not sure what the multiple career paths that Jon has failed at are but it’s clear that he is a very different character to his father who is very much of a financial background. At the same time it’s easy to say that everything has been gifted to him by daddy but do we really know what his input at Board level is or what other business interests or ambitions he has.
 

He may well be instrumental in developing the brand/brands and clearly spends time in the USA, one of the likely sources of investment. It is also quite possible that he has ambitions beyond what we yet know that may or may not affect the Bristol Sport stable. Like most sons of successful fathers the ‘Daddy’s boy’ tag by which he is often dismissed on here is something he will only lose by starting/developing something of his own. That may well fire an ambition that backs up what Steve said about Jon maybe not being in it for the next 30 years. 
 

Jon compared with most if not all of us has been dealt a very favourable hand in respect of future life options and expectations but I sense he has much more about him than some would have us believe. If he brings investment that secures our long term future (pure speculation on my part) we could be singing his praises for generations to come. As Steve’s heir one way or another he will be instrumental in the future of all the Bristol Sport brands whether he stays long term or goes in the coming few years. 

In Jon's favour; he's from Bristol and a genuine fan. The Lansdown millions feel home grown.

Would we prefer a Vincent Tan? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pezo said:

There's some weird stat like 90% of a people that makes over a million there kids tend to lose it.

So long as the kids had fun doing it though!

The Lansdown wealth is ridiculous.  They may as well keep chucking it at City because it's pointless having a billion sitting in the bank.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mozo said:

In Jon's favour; he's from Bristol and a genuine fan. The Lansdown millions feel home grown.

Would we prefer a Vincent Tan? 

There is a small part of me that says it would’ve been a fun ride.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Pezo said:

There's some weird stat like 90% of a people that makes over a million there kids tend to lose it.

 

In my experience it's usually the third-generation who tend to be the wastrels who lose it, or sell up and gradually whittle down the inheritance.

You have the guy with the drive and the big idea who founds the business, the second generation will often remember a time when the enterprise was not massively successful and will often have been close to the founder when the business was built up and know the industry inside out. 

By the third generation, they were born into money, never have known a time when they've had to work for it, and any attempt by them to be involved in the major decision-making is a disaster.

There are exceptions of course, but I can think of a number of business dynasties in my local area where the third generation produces a posh idiot as company chairman. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2021 at 10:28, Desso said:

Steve Lansdown is saying that he is actively looking for new investors in Bristol Sport to prop up the finances and to take the club forward. He's obviously looking at when he retires (reading between the lines, Jon either doesn't want it or isn't considered up to it) so we may have a new board sooner than we thought. Anyone on here been approached? 

Or Jon doesn’t personally have the finances to support a football club? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Or Jon doesn’t personally have the finances to support a football club? 

When your dad is as wealthy and passionate as he is, it doesn't really matter if Jon has or hasn't got the personal finances. The money will be there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Desso said:

When your dad is as wealthy and passionate as he is, it doesn't really matter if Jon has or hasn't got the personal finances. The money will be there.

Perhaps once Steve’s out of the club he doesn’t was his money being what props the club up? ‘Dad the club needs another £10m that you don’t have a say in what it’s for’

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Perhaps once Steve’s out of the club he doesn’t was his money being what props the club up? ‘Dad the club needs another £10m that you don’t have a say in what it’s for’

You may be right but SL is not only our benefactor but fortunately, a big fan as well. If Jon took over, can you honestly see SL turning his back on the club if it was in trouble on Jon's watch? Until the takeover happens, the money will always be there. I think that this is a hypothetical argument anyway. I can't see Jon being put in sole charge anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...