IGNORED

The MLS Thread

Harry

Don’t know if anyone watches MLS? I’d never bothered before but I took an interest recently. I follow the NFL and my team is Cincinnati Bengals and I noticed recently that they’d started plugging the FC Cincinnati team a fair bit. So I started following them on Twitter and then managed to watch their opening game last weekend. 
I was pleasantly surprised to be fair and am now going to attach myself to my 2nd Cincy sports team and follow them every week. 

I think the MLS has been considered a bit of a joke league in the past by us supposed football snobs over here. A last pay day for our ex-stars etc. But I have to say I found the quality, intensity and tempo to be be very much to my liking. 

Cincinnati played away at Nashville in the season opener, and played out a 2-2 draw, after we’d gone 2 up. It was played in a 40% reduced capacity crowd, so approx 25-30k were in attendance and the atmosphere was actually pretty good. Made a pleasant change to hear a proper football crowd on the tv!! 

The technique and the pace of the game was as good as anything you’ll get in the championship. In fact I’d argue that the technique on show from many players was certainly of Prem quality. The teams are pretty much loaded with central and South American internationals, so you’d expect the technical skills to be there, but the central/South American leagues are generally of a slower tempo. But the MLS didn’t seem to be that way to me. So you had good technical players playing at a high tempo. Made for really good viewing I have to say. 

On watching the highlights/roundup show, I noticed that the likes of Higuain, Pato, Matuidi, Nani, Chicarito etc are all playing. So yes, there is still the high profile graveyard element, but I found it most enjoyable. I’ll be following Cincinnati this season - away to New York City FC this week. Also interested to see how our new signing from Brazil gets on. Brenner has been signed for £11m from São Paulo, a 21 year old ex-Brazil u17 international. There should be some decent players on show. 

Thought I’d start a thread to see if anyone else watches any MLS and if so, are you watching generally or are you getting behind a specific team? Thread might not last long, but hey ho, I’m enjoying watching some damn decent football. There’s a couple of games on Sky Sports each week and a roundup show and then there’s about 3 games on the Free Sports Channel too, so lots of action to enjoy and makes a change from the mostly drab premier league games, which I’ve pretty much given up watching nowadays. 

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don’t know if anyone watches MLS? I’d never bothered before but I took an interest recently. I follow the NFL and my team is Cincinnati Bengals and I noticed recently that they’d started plugging the FC Cincinnati team a fair bit. So I started following them on Twitter and then managed to watch their opening game last weekend. 
I was pleasantly surprised to be fair and am now going to attach myself to my 2nd Cincy sports team and follow them every week. 

I think the MLS has been considered a bit of a joke league in the past by us supposed football snobs over here. A last pay day for our ex-stars etc. But I have to say I found the quality, intensity and tempo to be be very much to my liking. 

Cincinnati played away at Nashville in the season opener, and played out a 2-2 draw, after we’d gone 2 up. It was played in a 40% reduced capacity crowd, so approx 25-30k were in attendance and the atmosphere was actually pretty good. Made a pleasant change to hear a proper football crowd on the tv!! 

The technique and the pace of the game was as good as anything you’ll get in the championship. In fact I’d argue that the technique on show from many players was certainly of Prem quality. The teams are pretty much loaded with central and South American internationals, so you’d expect the technical skills to be there, but the central/South American leagues are generally of a slower tempo. But the MLS didn’t seem to be that way to me. So you had good technical players playing at a high tempo. Made for really good viewing I have to say. 

On watching the highlights/roundup show, I noticed that the likes of Higuain, Pato, Matuidi, Nani, Chicarito etc are all playing. So yes, there is still the high profile graveyard element, but I found it most enjoyable. I’ll be following Cincinnati this season - away to New York City FC this week. Also interested to see how our new signing from Brazil gets on. Brenner has been signed for £11m from São Paulo, a 21 year old ex-Brazil u17 international. There should be some decent players on show. 

Thought I’d start a thread to see if anyone else watches any MLS and if so, are you watching generally or are you getting behind a specific team? Thread might not last long, but hey ho, I’m enjoying watching some damn decent football. There’s a couple of games on Sky Sports each week and a roundup show and then there’s about 3 games on the Free Sports Channel too, so lots of action to enjoy and makes a change from the mostly drab premier league games, which I’ve pretty much given up watching nowadays. 

Sadly I think the MLS sums up everything I hate about modern football. Money, Money, Money!

I'm almost certainly in a minority id imagine but I think Id get more enjoyment watching City in league one. 

Can't stand the current crop of lazy, over privileged players, and feel like there is less of a divide between fans and players the lower down the leagues you go.

I absolutely love non league football as its reasonably priced, entertaining football and when you're down to tiers 8 and 9 the players are there because they love the game, not turning up for a pay cheque. I've seen more passion in the tool station league than at City in recent years and the MLS is just about buying names and players move there for an easy retirement and to live the Hollywood lifestyle

17 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Sadly I think the MLS sums up everything I hate about modern football. Money, Money, Money!

I'm almost certainly in a minority id imagine but I think Id get more enjoyment watching City in league one. 

Can't stand the current crop of lazy, over privileged players, and feel like there is less of a divide between fans and players the lower down the leagues you go.

I absolutely love non league football as its reasonably priced, entertaining football and when you're down to tiers 8 and 9 the players are there because they love the game, not turning up for a pay cheque. I've seen more passion in the tool station league than at City in recent years and the MLS is just about buying names and players move there for an easy retirement and to live the Hollywood lifestyle

I’m not sure I’d agree on the “money money money” aspect. They operate a salary cap, which I think would actually be a decent way of reigning in the overspending we have in Europe. 
They have a 30 man squad of which 20 of them have to come under a cap, which averages out to about £8,500 per week per player. Much more respectable salaries than our overpaid ‘stars’!! 
The other 10 squad places have certain stipulations over salary levels, home grown players etc. They are allowed 3 players who exceed the salary cap - hence the odd Higuain, Pato etc. 
I think it’s a decent system in fairness. The budgets are kept low with most players being on less than £10k per week, and only a limited number of players can exceed that, thus restricting a huge overspend and even one-team dominance. It’s generally a pretty level playing field. 

I think far from being a “money” league, it’s actually a pretty decent model to think about how we might correct some of the ills of our financial buffoonery over here. 

You'll be pleased to know Slim, that I have decided - against all odds - to follow NYC FC. 

Who weirdly, your new club play tomorrow.

After me taking an interest in Multan Sultans in the Pakistan Super League of Cricket, and you declaring yourself a very sudden Karachi King Kricket fan (or the KKK if you prefer) and then you posting a somewhat intimidating picture of you getting the train for a 'meet' (never knew seats were so difficult to come by with that number on the outside of the train), I feel my new alliance will redress the balance and see me champion of sport no one gives a shite about.

(For the record, the KKK did beat the Sultans).

We're ready! Bring it on. We hate your lot. And we are prepared to drink 3% ABV beer in a sociable way to prove it.

Consider that both a callout AND a warning. 

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

You'll be pleased to know Slim, that I have decided - against all odds - to follow NYC FC. 

Who weirdly, your new club play tomorrow.

After me taking an interest in Multan Sultans in the Pakistan Super League of Cricket, and you declaring yourself a very sudden Karachi King Kricket fan (or the KKK if you prefer) and then you posting a somewhat intimidating picture of you getting the train for a 'meet' (never knew seats were so difficult to come by with that number on the outside of the train), I feel my new alliance will redress the balance and see me champion of sport no one gives a shite about.

(For the record, the KKK did beat the Sultans).

We're ready! Bring it on. We hate your lot. And we are prepared to drink 3% ABV beer in a sociable way to prove it.

Consider that both a callout AND a warning. 

Still smarting over the KKK taking your Sultans of Plonk to town, eh. 
And your trying to redress by choosing the NYC offshoot of Man City. Ugh. Poor choice young man. Here’s your mob arriving this week... 

image.gif.e2ebdce496b91c0bdaefe806848bf96a.gif

I have been to two Sporting KC games including at home to LA Galaxy with Beckham playing for them.

The latter was horrific, Beckham never left the centre circle, played a few good passes but mainly argued with the referee non-stop like the onset of age to his career was a personal affront from the match officials.

Both teams had eager but utterly useless Central American full backs. The football was mainly dire but oddly the one thing I expected to hate (the atmosphere) was quite good, they do really get into it (then drive home).

Cincinnati is an expansion team that has been long overdue joining the MLS with how popular they are. It's an amazing but very small city (been there on business) great people and specific old German/Swedish heritage.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Still smarting over the KKK taking your Sultans of Plonk to town, eh. 
And your trying to redress by choosing the NYC offshoot of Man City. Ugh. Poor choice young man. Here’s your mob arriving this week... 

image.gif.e2ebdce496b91c0bdaefe806848bf96a.gif

This'll be the local crew on our way back to Parson Street after we whip your honky arses.

You'll be crying in to your grits Sunday morning.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

I have been to two Sporting KC games including at home to LA Galaxy with Beckham playing for them.

The latter was horrific, Beckham never left the centre circle, played a few good passes but mainly argued with the referee non-stop like the onset of age to his career was a personal affront from the match officials.

Both teams had eager but utterly useless Central American full backs. The football was mainly dire but oddly the one thing I expected to hate (the atmosphere) was quite good, they do really get into it (then drive home).

Cincinnati is an expansion team that has been long overdue joining the MLS with how popular they are. It's an amazing but very small city (been there on business) great people and specific old German/Swedish heritage.

I agree that the early days of the MLS were pretty crap, I tried to watch it back then and had zero interest. However, on the strength of the couple of games I saw last week, it’s vastly improved from those Beckham days. 

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

This'll be the local crew on our way back to Parson Street after we whip your honky arses.

You'll be crying in to your grits Sunday morning.

I’ve just discovered your nickname is “The Pigeons”. 
Ha ha. Your main lad is probably one of those really gimpy pigeons with growths on his skinny-ass feet 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’ve just discovered your nickname is “The Pigeons”. 
Ha ha. Your main lad is probably one of those really gimpy pigeons with growths on his skinny-ass feet 

Says the orange and blues fans who sound like a confused Irish army and a selection of chocolate treats. We tap ya', we unwrap ya.

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Says the orange and blues fans who sound like a confused Irish army and a selection of chocolate treats. We tap ya', we unwrap ya.

The Orange and Blue are coming for you - ya skinny-ass street rats. 

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I find it difficult to attach myself to a team just like that. But that’s just me...

Same goes for the NFL. But I’m not particularly keen on the sport anyway..

Oddly, so do I.

Personally I think Harry started a thread, almost encouraging a derailment.

But you would expect that from someone like him.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I agree that the early days of the MLS were pretty crap, I tried to watch it back then and had zero interest. However, on the strength of the couple of games I saw last week, it’s vastly improved from those Beckham days. 

It has - and I think one of the factors is the “B team” or "feeder" club equivalent which is the lower leagues in US soccer and aided by all the MLS clubs having an affiliate (Sporting KC having Swope Park Royals).

The quality at youth level is definitely improving and they're importing more peak age European players - but I can never accept it's a proper league when my KC connections a renamed after Sporting Lisboa. ? 

Bengals are my nfl team too, although i normally end up following the teams ive backed to win the superbowl at the start of the season just as closely and as im sure you will appreciate its never the bengals.

Will follow this thread closely as never really got into mls though because of times and tv coverage i probably should.

2 hours ago, Northern Cider Ed said:

Bengals are my nfl team too, although i normally end up following the teams ive backed to win the superbowl at the start of the season just as closely and as im sure you will appreciate its never the bengals.

Will follow this thread closely as never really got into mls though because of times and tv coverage i probably should.

Now Burrow is on board, hopefully we’ll see the Bengals getting closer to the super bowl. 

Re the MLS kick off times, there’s a couple of games per week that are evening viewing over here, but mostly they’ll be early mornings - so I’ll be recording and watching later (it’s much easier to avoid the score than it is for our games!) 

Free Sports - Sky channel 422 are showing loads. 

23 hours ago, Berkshire Red said:

Underneath the hood, non league is just as much about money. 
the fans might feel more connection and it’s all a bit intimate but most players are still motivated by and will go to the money. Part of the reason I stopped playing the level I did, only so many times you can turn up to find out a couple of your better players aren’t playing because they wanted more money or felt they should get paid extra for mid week games 

Big NFL fan also @HarryI have season ticket for London games at the Spurs stadium which is unreal and well worth a visit if you ever get the chance.

I've struggled with MLS tbh, like you mentioned my team the Cleveland Browns are plugging Columbus Crew quite heavily being from Ohio. But I already watch enough shite football to last me a lifetime. 

If anything though I'm up for some AFC North banter. 

10 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Big NFL fan also @HarryI have season ticket for London games at the Spurs stadium which is unreal and well worth a visit if you ever get the chance.

I've struggled with MLS tbh, like you mentioned my team the Cleveland Browns are plugging Columbus Crew quite heavily being from Ohio. But I already watch enough shite football to last me a lifetime. 

If anything though I'm up for some AFC North banter. 

Yep, done a good number of the London games over the years. Actually left the Wigan game last season at half time to get to Wembley in time to watch the Bengals. 
As for your choice of team ?
Get over to the non footy forum for the NFL thread. 

Edit - sorry, I know you’re already on it 

Ugh American Football...pointless.

However, with the massive Latin American population in the USA, there should be some cracking kids playing in the MLS, although I'm not sure what the standard is over there.

Still too many 'last payday' players for my liking, it's a bit like an upgraded League 2.

On 23/04/2021 at 23:41, Olé said:

It has - and I think one of the factors is the “B team” or "feeder" club equivalent which is the lower leagues in US soccer and aided by all the MLS clubs having an affiliate (Sporting KC having Swope Park Royals).

The quality at youth level is definitely improving and they're importing more peak age European players - but I can never accept it's a proper league when my KC connections a renamed after Sporting Lisboa. ? 

Just caught up with the Sporting Kansas game with Orlando over the weekend. 
You’ll be pleased to know that they haven’t stuck with the green side of Lisboa and the left back was actually an ex Benfica player - Luis Martins. 

On a wider note, my initial post stated how impressed I was with the quality on show. I’ll caveat that now. I’d only watched the one game at that point (Nashville v Cincinnati), and it was indeed a very good game. 
However, having now watched Philadelphia v Miami yesterday and now Kansas v Orlando, I have to say that whilst the games have been entertaining, they have actually been littered with unforced errors, particularly by defenders.

The pace of the matches is still good, and there are some good technical players on show, but there are a lot of errors too. 

I’m gonna persevere with it, I am finding the games to be very watchable, open, end to end, lots of good action. Just a lot more unforced errors than I’d witnessed in that first game. 

Archived