IGNORED

So Baker is back.

Bristol Rob

18 hours ago, billywedlock said:

You are not being factual and his appearance record is no worse that all of those top class defenders I listed. He had one bad season, last year. In the last 6 seasons 4 of them he played in 34/35 league games, one of  16 games and last season a wipe out. Where does your 1 in 4 fallacy number come from ? Are  you  saying that Jansen. Lees, Hanley,Mepham,  Troost Ekong are a disaster too, or are those clubs sugar coating it too , as some of those have worse appearance records than Baker ? Please explain your injury issue , unless it is related specifically to him having recovered sufficiently from last seasons wipe out, your comments are not fair and misplaced. Even then he would have had to have passed a full medical before signing. 

My only comparison was with with Flint. 

You mention 5 or 6 defenders with what you consider equally poor appearance records to Baker.

I didn't ever say he was unique among CB's in being so injury prone. But why no mention by you of all the others who are not - there must be 40 - 50 regular Championship CB's?

The figures I gave I believe to be correct, or as near as damn it, and not a 'fallacy number' at all.

I said since signing for City permanently (4 seasons) NB has missed more games than he's started (indisputable fact) and has come off early in approx. 25% of those he has started - a figure I have seen quoted many times and strikes me as eminently credible having watched Baker's literally 'on-off' City career.

There is nothing 'unfair' about what I have said, and your apparently animated response seems OTT.  

38 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

My only comparison was with with Flint. 

You mention 5 or 6 defenders with what you consider equally poor appearance records to Baker.

I didn't ever say he was unique among CB's in being so injury prone. But why no mention by you of all the others who are not - there must be 40 - 50 regular Championship CB's?

The figures I gave I believe to be correct, or as near as damn it, and not a 'fallacy number' at all.

I said since signing for City permanently (4 seasons) NB has missed more games than he's started (indisputable fact) and has come off early in approx. 25% of those he has started - a figure I have seen quoted many times and strikes me as eminently credible having watched Baker's literally 'on-off' City career.

There is nothing 'unfair' about what I have said, and your apparently animated response seems OTT.  

@Nogbad the Bad

I understand where you are coming from but I think you are missing a point or two.

He has played around 35 games per season since joining us permanently.

Except for one season with only 16 game's when he was not injured but not selected.

And last season. He and up to a dozen others who were injured and missing for long periods in a season for injuries that I have never seen at City in my 71 years supporting them.

It is a reasonable assumption that the now departed Mr Rolls was almost single handedly responsible for this debacle that almost cost us our place in the Championship.

I see this season as one of recovery. One in which Pearson is having to rebuild. If he considers that a 30 year old Baker is a safer option over, let's say, Atkinson from Oxford with only one season in League One as experience, then I accept that.

We have not yet spent any cash on transfer fees but have contracted Weimann, Simpson, James, Baker, possibly to be joined by King. Five very experienced and decent players. Two of those, Weimann and Baker plus Williams are three season long injuries who were sorely missed from our team.

Again I accept your doubts but we have to trust Pearson in the same way that those of us with initial reservations about Cotterill, Alan Dicks and even back to Fred Ford, were proved too cautious.

PS. Maybe NP can see that in a season or so, Towler and or Cundy will be better than Atkinson and no transfer fee, so keeps Baker for this season only?

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

@Nogbad the Bad

I understand where you are coming from but I think you are missing a point or two.

He has played around 35 games per season since joining us permanently.

Except for one season with only 16 game's when he was not injured but not selected.

And last season. He and up to a dozen others who were injured and missing for long periods in a season for injuries that I have never seen at City in my 71 years supporting them.

It is a reasonable assumption that the now departed Mr Rolls was almost single handedly responsible for this debacle that almost cost us our place in the Championship.

I see this season as one of recovery. One in which Pearson is having to rebuild. If he considers that a 30 year old Baker is a safer option over, let's say, Atkinson from Oxford with only one season in League One as experience, then I accept that.

We have not yet spent any cash on transfer fees but have contracted Weimann, Simpson, James, Baker, possibly to be joined by King. Five very experienced and decent players. Two of those, Weimann and Baker plus Williams are three season long injuries who were sorely missed from our team.

Again I accept your doubts but we have to trust Pearson in the same way that those of us with initial reservations about Cotterill, Alan Dicks and even back to Fred Ford, were proved too cautious.

PS. Maybe NP can see that in a season or so, Towler and or Cundy will be better than Atkinson and no transfer fee, so keeps Baker for this season only?

Not sure Baker's unreliability selection-wise can all be put down to Rolls, or even his time at City. 

He was known for similar at Villa, very likely one reason they agreed to let him come to us in the first place.

I hope the Baker re-signing isn't instead of Atkinson, and now it's happened, I still hope Atkinson will follow.

I hadn't found Ashton Gate yet at the time of the appointments of Ford & Dicks, but I had no reservations whatsoever about Cotts. the moment I saw his first interview. Exactly the right man at the right time, similar to GJ. In more recent times not happy at all about the appointments of LJ or DH, but very pleased with Nige, who I do 'trust' but the signing of Baker does seem to go against his stated desire for a robust squad.

Of course now he is back I hope, like the very many others who have voiced similar doubts here and elsewhere, that Baker can finally put any long term or recurring injury issues behind him.

I believe he's on a 2 year deal btw.

Utmost respect for the length of your City support and your views CA.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure Baker's unreliability selection-wise can all be put down to Rolls, or even his time at City. 

He was known for similar at Villa, very likely one reason they agreed to let him come to us in the first place.

I hope the Baker re-signing isn't instead of Atkinson, and now it's happened, I still hope Atkinson will follow.

I hadn't found Ashton Gate yet at the time of the appointments of Ford & Dicks, but I had no reservations whatsoever about Cotts. the moment I saw his first interview. Exactly the right man at the right time, similar to GJ. In more recent times not happy at all about the appointments of LJ or DH, but very pleased with Nige, who I do 'trust' but the signing of Baker does seem to go against his stated desire for a robust squad.

Of course now he is back I hope, like the very many others who have voiced similar doubts here and elsewhere, that Baker can finally put any long term or recurring injury issues behind him.

I believe he's on a 2 year deal btw.

Utmost respect for the length of your City support and your views CA.

Thanks for the response.

I know Baker has two years which could be NP is relying on him and Kalas to be the stalwarts in central defence with all the younger ones, Vyner, Moore, Cundy, Towler and another recruit like Atkinson.

Although we don't know if he'll be using a back 3, or 4 or 5? Or if Vyner is in line for right back?

Archived