Jump to content
IGNORED

Gregor and NP


REDOXO
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pearson can be a grumpy cantankerous old bloke and it's pretty clear he has a general disdain for the media. He begrudgingly does internal club stuff but seems to detest the third party stuff.

He's basically made Gregor's job hard. But yeh Gregor's taken the opportunity there to make the case for his role.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pearson can be a grumpy cantankerous old bloke and it's pretty clear he has a general disdain for the media. He begrudgingly does internal club stuff but seems to detest the third party stuff.

He's basically made Gregor's job hard. But yeh Gregor's taken the opportunity there to make the case for his role.

Yes. I agree fella. It is noticeable that NP laughs after every media question before he answers. 
 

However that, to me, read like a warning! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@REDOXO I hope you don't mind but I have copied the text in question as I think Gregor explains his issue quite well. If Nigel only does in-house media then the club control the narrative completely. We all heard the sycophantic commentary on RobinsTV last season, and a lack of third-party media coverage only serves to allow the club to put out more items in that vein. 

Gregor's argument is as follows:

"No show Nigel and Francois steals it

Pearson chose not to do any independent media after the game, speaking only briefly to the club's own media channels instead. It was a disappointing decision from someone who only months ago 'hit out' at club-controlled media, arguing the merits of non-club questioning.

Of course, this is only pre-season, to keep things in perspective, and a one-off disappearing act is no big deal, with the manager promising to speak on Saturday after the MK Dons game. It was however the first time in the almost five years of this reporter's time covering the club that a manager has refused to speak to the press or radio after a pre-season game.

To explain the difference, Robins TV front-man Ian Downs asked few questions on the many missing players on Tuesday, in a post-match chat with Pearson on the club channels. There were no mentions of Ryley Towler, Alex Scott, Joe Williams, Callum O'Dowda, Han-Noah Massengo, Sam Bell and James Morton, who were when not involved in this encounter, but with plenty of fans eager to know of their whereabouts. Also why Nathan Baker departed the match at the 45-minute mark: pre-planned or injury-related?

Pearson has had an at-times strained relationship with the media across his career and here's hoping all round that this was just a blip. The former Leicester City boss may have had his own reasons for passing up the chance to speak, though nothing was conveyed.

There is no need to speak on every occasion, certainly, though the manager has been little available over the last months bar for club interviews. At a time when scrutiny, transparency and local journalism is much needed, it was a worrying sign and something we hope is buried into insignificance all too quickly. Supporters always deserve answers, given the club is built upon their passion and means.

In stark contrast Danny Cowley was generous with his time speaking to the media following the match. The former Huddersfield Town boss explained that young winger Marlee Francois - another key facet of the game that Pearson wasn't asked about - was offered to Pompey to use as they didn't have enough players to complete the match. The have-nots coming up trumps, as Francois netted a late equaliser against his own club."

Edited by ExiledAjax
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes. I agree fella. It is noticeable that NP laughs after every media question before he answers. 
 

However that, to me, read like a warning! 

It is a warning, but I think it's one directed to the club rather than Pearson personally. Honestly, whatever people's opinion on Gregor's journalistic standards, I'd like to have Pearson answering his questions as well as those posed by renowned investigative journalist and Bristol City employee Ian "Downsy" Downs.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve just read the GMcG post Portsmouth article. I thought the last section read like there is an issue between NP and our esteemed Journo. 
 

anyone else think that or am I way off base?

Gregor has an issue, Nigel doesn't!! I'm not sure posting an out and out whinge that brings up conjecture about Pearson's previous media relationships is the way to go about building bridges.

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fair play to McGregory for writing that, he makes some important points. But Pearson considers friendlies as just training sessions and he doesn't do a media session after other training sessions, so why's this one any different?

The journalist should just have the balls to say to him - I don't expect you to like all my questions, and I'm sure you'll answer them how you see fit, but I am going to ask about things that I think supporters are interested in - the rest is up to you, Nigel.    

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

It is a warning, but I think it's one directed to the club rather than Pearson personally. Honestly, whatever people's opinion on Gregor's journalistic standards, I'd like to have Pearson answering his questions as well as those posed by renowned investigative journalist and Bristol City employee Ian "Downsy" Downs.

I agree with the sentiment but Gregor's journalistic standards are bottom of the barrel, let's be honest about it, absolute shite and full of stupid, ill thought out questions that would annoy most Managers who have to deal with that guff on anything like a regular basis tbh. And he's gone and compounded it by having a rant in print. Clever boy.

What's all this "warning" stuff about? What will they do if City don't give them what they want?

  • Like 11
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

@REDOXO I hope you don't mind but I have copied the text in question as I think Gregor explains his issue quite well. If Nigel only does in-house media then the club control the narrative completely. We all heard the sycophantic commentary on RobinsTV last season, and a lack of third-party media coverage only serves to allow the club to put out more items in that vein. 

Gregor's argument is as follows:

"No show Nigel and Francois steals it

Pearson chose not to do any independent media after the game, speaking only briefly to the club's own media channels instead. It was a disappointing decision from someone who only months ago 'hit out' at club-controlled media, arguing the merits of non-club questioning.

Of course, this is only pre-season, to keep things in perspective, and a one-off disappearing act is no big deal, with the manager promising to speak on Saturday after the MK Dons game. It was however the first time in the almost five years of this reporter's time covering the club that a manager has refused to speak to the press or radio after a pre-season game.

To explain the difference, Robins TV front-man Ian Downs asked few questions on the many missing players on Tuesday, in a post-match chat with Pearson on the club channels. There were no mentions of Ryley Towler, Alex Scott, Joe Williams, Callum O'Dowda, Han-Noah Massengo, Sam Bell and James Morton, who were when not involved in this encounter, but with plenty of fans eager to know of their whereabouts. Also why Nathan Baker departed the match at the 45-minute mark: pre-planned or injury-related?

Pearson has had an at-times strained relationship with the media across his career and here's hoping all round that this was just a blip. The former Leicester City boss may have had his own reasons for passing up the chance to speak, though nothing was conveyed.

There is no need to speak on every occasion, certainly, though the manager has been little available over the last months bar for club interviews. At a time when scrutiny, transparency and local journalism is much needed, it was a worrying sign and something we hope is buried into insignificance all too quickly. Supporters always deserve answers, given the club is built upon their passion and means.

In stark contrast Danny Cowley was generous with his time speaking to the media following the match. The former Huddersfield Town boss explained that young winger Marlee Francois - another key facet of the game that Pearson wasn't asked about - was offered to Pompey to use as they didn't have enough players to complete the match. The have-nots coming up trumps, as Francois netted a late equaliser against his own club."

IMO Greg is stirring it up and causing unnecessary rift. He’s putting his personal gripe for all to read. He needs to wind his neck in before he get it chopped off. He claims to speak for the fans, I wonder how many that is? 

  • Like 6
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bannerman said:

IMO Greg is stirring it up and causing unnecessary rift. He’s putting his personal gripe for all to read. He needs to wind his neck in before he get it chopped off. He claims to speak for the fans, I wonder how many that is? 

Put it this way, he doesn't speak for the fans that know every league game will get analysed to death every single week and therefore really can't be arsed to read the same stuff after meaningless pre-season games. Sam Bell didn't play yesterday and I haven't been told why not, well that's gone and ******* ruined my summer.............

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Fair play to McGregory for writing that, he makes some important points. But Pearson considers friendlies as just training sessions and he doesn't do a media session after other training sessions, so why's this one any different?

The journalist should just have the balls to say to him - I don't expect you to like all my questions, and I'm sure you'll answer them how you see fit, but I am going to ask about things that I think supporters are interested in - the rest is up to you, Nigel.    

A lesson I learned a long time ago is if you are going to write something emotive then do it, put it down/on the task bar for an hour or two, come back to it when you are a bit calmer and then think "do I really want to send/publish that?". Saves a lot of hassle in the long run imo.........

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know Gregor personally at all, nor do I have any interest in his own success. But I'll play devil's advocate for him.

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I agree with the sentiment but Gregor's journalistic standards are bottom of the barrel, let's be honest about it, absolute shite and full of stupid, ill thought out questions that would annoy most Managers who have to deal with that guff on anything like a regular basis tbh. And he's gone and compounded it by having a rant in print. Clever boy.

What's all this "warning" stuff about? What will they do if City don't give them what they want?

He covers a fairly unremarkable football club competing in the second division. How is he supposed to produce Pulitzer-winning material when that is his source and remit? I will concede that he possibly labours the point re absent players a little, but honestly look at the interest on here re the whereabouts of someone like Williams, or generally the amount of thoughts and opinions that have been posted about the injury crisis last season. The club "journalists" never ask about that.

Perhaps "warning" is too strong a word. Maybe "letter of note" is more apt?

13 minutes ago, Bannerman said:

IMO Greg is stirring it up and causing unnecessary rift. He’s putting his personal gripe for all to read. He needs to wind his neck in before he get it chopped off. He claims to speak for the fans, I wonder how many that is? 

Suspect Gregor would argue that it's Pearson that has caused the rift by refusing to do what is customary and answer a couple of questions after a pre-season match.

I agree with @Merrick's Marvels that Gregor should stand up to Pearson when his questions are shrugged off. He was denied the opportunity to do that post-Portsmouth so he's used his platform to do it instead.

FWIW the bit about Pearson 'hitting out' at club media is presumably based on comments in a question and answer session with journalism students at Leicester’s De Montfort University. Source here https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/19082535.former-watford-head-coach-nigel-pearson-hits-club-controlled-journalism/

"If I’m doing a press conference or any interviews, I know the ground rules: I’ve got a job to do and so have you," said Pearson.

I’ve sat in some press conferences and been grilled by very tenacious, well-prepped, well-read journalists who know their stuff.

If all we get is journalism from the perspective of the football club, we’re moving towards a dictatorial state and that’s not what we are.

If we don’t have [independent journalism] we may as well not bother, we may as well live in a Communist state where we’re taught not to think."

Now you can fairly argue that if Gregor reads that properly he will perhaps double down on his preparation, and think of a few more questions other than "Where is Joe Williams?" However, I'd also say that this suggests that if that happens then I'm sure it'll all blow over and Pearson will no doubt wetting himself with excitement for the pre-Blackpool press conference.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Interesting reading fans reactions to this, how many are siding with the club whereas if it had been Ashton and Holden/Johnson most probably would have been with Gregor rather than the club. Imo it is a bit shit from the club, Nigel may not like it but it doesn't take long even if Gregor's questions may irritate him. A  manager declining to speak to local press but speaking to in house media after the game isn't a good sign in pre-season where nothing has gone wrong yet, come the start of the season if we get off to a poor start is Nigel just going to decline speaking to local press more regularly? Or if he has to speak to them just shrug off questions.

Pearson has already confirmed he will be speaking to Gregor after the game on Saturday. Think people are looking for something that isn't there. It's typical of the micro analysis of everything these days. Ignore the fact that NP spoke to the press game after game last season when not only were we losing but we were fielding kids getting battered every week.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Pearson has already confirmed he will be speaking to Gregor after the game on Saturday. Think people are looking for something that isn't there. It's typical of the micro analysis of everything these days. Ignore the fact that NP spoke to the press game after game last season when not only were we losing but we were fielding kids getting battered every week.

Not sure it’s people looking for something that’s not there. But GMcG made it clear he was. The something being Nigel Pearson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Interesting reading fans reactions to this, how many are siding with the club whereas if it had been Ashton and Holden/Johnson most probably would have been with Gregor rather than the club. Imo it is a bit shit from the club, Nigel may not like it but it doesn't take long even if Gregor's questions may irritate him. A  manager declining to speak to local press but speaking to in house media after the game isn't a good sign in pre-season where nothing has gone wrong yet, come the start of the season if we get off to a poor start is Nigel just going to decline speaking to local press more regularly? Or if he has to speak to them just shrug off questions.

Agree. As far as I’m concerned it’s a manager’s duty to speak to the press after a game, friendly or not and whether they like it or not. Shouldn’t take long but it’s part of the role. NP’s creating unnecessary divisions here imho - just give the reporter 2/3 minutes and if he really has that much of an issue with the questions posed then say so and discuss like an adult. Seems pretty simple. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Genuine question about NP where does everyone think his head is at the moment? I know he will have signed up to it and the fact we have very little money to spend but wondering if the realisation that we don’t have enough quality to challenge the play offs could frustrate someone of his undoubted pedigree?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, lenred said:

Agree. As far as I’m concerned it’s a manager’s duty to speak to the press after a game, friendly or not and whether they like it or not. Shouldn’t take long but it’s part of the role. NP’s creating unnecessary divisions here imho - just give the reporter 2/3 minutes and if he really had that much of an issue with the questions then say so and discuss like an adult. 

You have, of course, only heard one side of the story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

Genuine question about NP where does everyone think his head is at the moment? I know he will have signed up to it and the fact we have very little money to spend but wondering if the realisation that we don’t have enough quality to challenge the play offs could frustrate someone of his undoubted pedigree?

I would imagine that his words to Matty James when persuading him to come "it's not going to be an easy job here" or words to that effect show people that he knows the size of the task........better than many supporters who are talking up "outside chance of play-offs" this season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a lot of time for Gregor. Originally thought he was a joke/parody of himself, especially considering his name & early reporting, but he has improved immeasurably with expereince, so fair play to the bloke.

At the end of the day, he has a job to do (& does often ask the questions fans ask him to) but if the manager is not talking to him & giving him a report, then Gregor needs to answer to his bosses, which could come back on him, so understand his frustration. However, i am sure this is merely a one off or because it is pre-season, if this was after a loss on a cold November Tuesday night, then could be more to look into, but certainly not now.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Pearson has already confirmed he will be speaking to Gregor after the game on Saturday. Think people are looking for something that isn't there. It's typical of the micro analysis of everything these days. Ignore the fact that NP spoke to the press game after game last season when not only were we losing but we were fielding kids getting battered every week.

You mean like he's obligated to do? 

Will be interesting to see how he communicates with Gregor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I would imagine that his words to Matty James when persuading him to come "it's not going to be an easy job here" or words to that effect show people that he knows the size of the task........better than many supporters who are talking up "outside chance of play-offs" this season.

Agreed I can’t see a play off challenge at all….everyone starts on zero and all that but will be happy with a better style of football and mid table while developing some of our own talent

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lrrr said:

You mean like he's obligated to do? 

Will be interesting to see how he communicates with Gregor.

Yes, he's obligated to do so and did so. Therefore without hearing both sides of the story I wouldn't be rushing in with both feet to condemn Pearson for not doing an interview he was not obligated to do based on a rant by a very inexperienced journalist who is also coming across in his rant as immature to go with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's a rant by Gregor and it won't do him any favours.

He does however highlight its the first time in his 5 years a manager/head coach hasn't spoken to the press after a pre-season fixture. I don't think his concerns are unfounded.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't blame Pearson, I also distrust journalists. Beware what you say to a them , because they will always change it to suit there own agenda. There job is to sell their papers and magazines etc. And to keep there advertisers and millionaire owners happy. 

So if your a Journo, little tip. Don't ask stupid questions. Keep to the point. And don't spin the story but keep to the facts. You might gain more respect that way for your next interview. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

He does however highlight its the first time in his 5 years a manager/head coach hasn't spoken to the press after a pre-season fixture. I don't think his concerns are unfounded.

Without knowing why Pearson didn't speak to Gregor I wouldn't rush in tbh. Could be a personal matter and rather than Pearson being a ***, which it might be, it could also be you lot condemning him without knowing what's what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Without knowing why Pearson didn't speak to Gregor I wouldn't rush in tbh. Could be a personal matter and rather than Pearson being a ***, which it might be, it could also be you lot condemning him without knowing what's what?

Not sure anyone is condemning him - seems a bit strong to me -  just saying that he should speak to the local journo for a few mins after a game if requested. Pretty simple and no need to blow it up into something it’s not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, lenred said:

Not sure anyone is condemning him - seems a bit strong to me -  just saying that he should speak to the local journo for a few mins after a game if requested. Pretty simple and no need to blow it up into something it’s not. 

Totally agree which is what six paragraphs in the local rag seems to be doing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...