IGNORED

Dont mention the Manager - you'll get your head bitten off by sour fans

Hampshire Red

To be fair to Hampshire red. its my posts that gets the stick. i think some on hear should notice the difference between Red and Reds. might be a bit difficult for some on hear. i asked for people to tell me why there is so much support for a football manager who cant win football matches. after all thats what its all about. i for one think he is doing a dreadful job. no wins in 14. Buying and selling players is what keeps football clubs going. managers like warnock and Warburton can do it. i will wait for the stick.

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

To be fair to Hampshire red. its my posts that gets the stick. i think some on hear should notice the difference between Red and Reds. might be a bit difficult for some on hear. i asked for people to tell me why there is so much support for a football manager who cant win football matches. after all thats what its all about. i for one think he is doing a dreadful job. no wins in 14. Buying and selling players is what keeps football clubs going. managers like warnock and Warburton can do it. i will wait for the stick.

I wouldn't call people out on here if they miss the difference between Red and Reds...

13 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I am not going to start a post on our current manager but someone with a similar name to me did earlier. He got slagged off by all the numpties who cried for recent managers to be sacked, thinking they ought to do better and now (of course) they are so ashamed of their poor judgement they come on to this forum and slag off anyone daring to question if no wins in 14 is good enough.

Shame on you 'Taxi for Lj / DH / MA mob' - you should have thought harder about what you wished for...and you know who you are

Is there a Hampshire red posting and also a Hampshire reds. Bloody confusing as I have seen weird posts from both, are they the same. It is either me that needs to go to my doc for more meds  or both Hampshire red/s need to some how call their respective doctors. OK We are all City supporters but still is it them or is it me drinking to much Victoria Bitter, Red wine or them drinking too much cider ?

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

I wouldn't call people out on here if they miss the difference between Red and Reds...

Looking in from the outside I've followed Bristol City for many years and have often said that given your rescoures and fanbase you are continuously under achieving but the problem is you're up against some really big teams in the championship who have the same plus much more. when NP assessed your demise last season he stated that quite a few players either weren't good enough or didn't take to his football philosophy so it was hardly surprising that he got rid of quite a few but also surprising to see he only brought three new players in although there's still time for more.

I've no idea what's holding you back so assuming it's not money is it location, poor scouting or literally down to individual managers making the wrong decisions?

13 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I am not going to start a post on our current manager but someone with a similar name to me did earlier. He got slagged off by all the numpties who cried for recent managers to be sacked, thinking they ought to do better and now (of course) they are so ashamed of their poor judgement they come on to this forum and slag off anyone daring to question if no wins in 14 is good enough.

Shame on you 'Taxi for Lj / DH / MA mob' - you should have thought harder about what you wished for...and you know who you are

Mate Mark Ashton is the main problem here.

I broadly agree with you in that LJ isn't hugely culpable and definitely not Dean Holden. I therefor don’t hold Pearson culpable either.

But pick your battles. Mark Ashton and those around him are responsible for the dire mess the club is in. 

My concern is it’s so deep rooted we are far beyond the solution simply being a change of manager.

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Looking in from the outside I've followed Bristol City for many years and have often said that given your rescoures and fanbase you are continuously under achieving but the problem is you're up against some really big teams in the championship who have the same plus much more. when NP assessed your demise last season he stated that quite a few players either weren't good enough or didn't take to his football philosophy so it was hardly surprising that he got rid of quite a few but also surprising to see he only brought three new players in although there's still time for more.

I've no idea what's holding you back so assuming it's not money is it location, poor scouting or literally down to individual managers making the wrong decisions?

I think there’s a big hangover from the last few years. We probably should’ve got rid of Johnson a bit sooner than we did and never should’ve appointed Holden. That’s before taking into account Ashton’s role over that period.

It would’ve been interesting to see if Johnson would’ve done better here without Ashton’s influence in a parallel universe. He’s recruited pretty well at Sunderland and they’re looking good so far - although he’s famously streaky. There was a period around 2017/2018 where we really looked ready to kick on and push for promotion before falling away selling our assets.

Holden was a ridiculous appointment and the negative effects of which have been compounded by covid. It’ll take Pearson a while to stop the rot and reverse the mentality at the club. 

As you say - we’ve got everything (on paper) that we need to push on. It’s almost a unique situation - huge catchment area, affluent city, good stadium and training facility. 

I think Pearson will prove to be the right man but this season could be really dicey.

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It's multiple factors of course but for me the key one, apart from short periods, has always been culture. It's long been a cosy club where you can make a good living while being under no real pressure.

Good money, nice lifestyle in a nice place to live with no real consequences for mediocrity. So why strive for more?

I'm hoping Pearson has the ruthlessness to change that over time.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It's multiple factors of course but for me the key one, apart from short periods, has always been culture. It's long been a cosy club where you can make a good living while being under no real pressure.

Good money, nice lifestyle in a nice place to live with no real consequences for mediocrity. So why strive for more?

Let us hope he does. He will deliver.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

The culture comment is quite an interesting one which may have been over looked by many but given time I'm sure Pearson will stamp out but it may take him 2 or 3 transfer windows to get the squad he wants.

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

The culture comment is quite an interesting one which may have been over looked by many but given time I'm sure Pearson will stamp out but it may take him 2 or 3 transfer windows to get the squad he wants.

It’s been a real issue here for years. I’ve been following us since 05’ and the only two times I can consistently remember us having a ‘winning culture’ were under Gary Johnson from L1 promotion to Champ Playoffs and under Cotterill during the double winning season.

Lots of people see 15/16 as a big missed opportunity as Cotterill wasn’t able to add the players he wanted. Both times the squad were a tight and devoted bunch which can make it harder for managers afterwards. It’s fine having a winning culture under a manager for short term success - but that winning culture needs to allow subsequent managers to carry it on.

It’s something clubs like Brentford, Leicester and Swansea have managed over the last decade. Not every single managerial appointment there will be a success - but even if one doesn’t work out, the foundations of what initially made their culture a success aren't replaced thus allowing another manager to take over. 

I suppose what I’m trying to say is there isn’t a clear ‘identity’ at the club that runs through several managers. It seems we radically change our entire ‘identity’ with each appointment and thus a winning culture can’t run on and on.

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Quite, and it's as much about the character of the players you recruit as their ability.

Ashton and Johnson used to claim they investigated players' character but we ended up with too many whose attitude was and is distinctly meh. The only player in recent times I have seen get angry at his and the team's performances is Kalas, who will likely soon be gone.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Quite, and it's as much about the character of the players you recruit as their ability.

Ashton and Johnson used to claim they investigated players' character but we ended up with too many whose attitude was and is distinctly meh. The only player in recent times I have seen get angry at his and the team's performances is Kalas, who will likely soon be gone.

Maybe Aden Flint as well 

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s a strange coincidence because they’re both complete boneheads. It’s genuinely pretty hard to distinguish which is which based on their content.

Now… I don’t want to get all Line of Duty hear… but I’m be pretty sure they’re the same person…

31F1B2EE-4F1E-4B8D-B5F7-0034F9EAFA28.jpeg

0FB22534-F67B-476E-BAAF-8D13F89BEC91.jpeg

16 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I took a 15 month break from the forum during the pandemic. Reading bollocks like this I’m tempted to take another 15 months off.

Absolutely , tend to check on any potential in and outs but that apart from that ignore most of crap on here , over reaction on every result and then threads like this , a pop at Bentley and the one about all the kids are shit are a classic example of the champion shit stirring this forum is famous for 

18 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Zzzz.

Ah the new manager syndrome where things aren't going as expected.   Not to worry, we have the same thing over this side of the country.

I'd offer a swap, Cook for Pearson but don't think you'd have him.   Was watching the Quest Highlights show last night and they said Bristol City haven't won a league game in like 13 / 14 attempts ?    Look out for your results every now and again and hope to be playing you once more when we make back it to Championship level.  

A new manager in doing poorly is nothing new.    We have the very same thing this end and what with the big takeover and Ashton coming on board big things were supposed to happen.    A number of new players - almost a new team in fact - but being unable to get beyond the likes of Morecambe, Newport County and Burton Albion, 90 minutes at a time, is something of a concern.  

Hope it works out for you and Pearson can do a job there.   I'd suggest time and patience, but often empty words when little changes and problems linger and persist.  

2 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Ah the new manager syndrome where things aren't going as expected.   Not to worry, we have the same thing over this side of the country.

I'd offer a swap, Cook for Pearson but don't think you'd have him.   Was watching the Quest Highlights show last night and they said Bristol City haven't won a league game in like 13 / 14 attempts ?    Look out for your results every now and again and hope to be playing you once more when we make back it to Championship level.  

A new manager in doing poorly is nothing new.    We have the very same thing this end and what with the big takeover and Ashton coming on board big things were supposed to happen.    A number of new players - almost a new team in fact - but being unable to get beyond the likes of Morecambe, Newport County and Burton Albion, 90 minutes at a time, is something of a concern.  

Hope it works out for you and Pearson can do a job there.   I'd suggest time and patience, but often empty words when little changes and problems linger and persist.  

I'd suggest time and patience

But this is OTIB!

23 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Is this... trolling?

Or shear stupidity? - I'm confused.

History repeating itself?

Gary Johnson, we were an established top half club - got rid because of the fans. We ended up regretting it...

Lee Johnson we were an established top half club - got rid for not making top 6... and look at us now... gonna struggle...

Careful what you wish for indeed.

Archived