IGNORED

Benarous

GrahamC

Look, he could well be the next big thing by 2024 but with O’Dowda, Scott or even Simpson sat watching it was incredible he came on & despite some saying he wasn’t any worse than others that is simply ridiculous, he looked a mile away on that evidence.

If you look at my post history I tend to be pretty supportive & have seen the likes of Scott, Conway & Sam Pearson come in as youngsters & do ok.

Not to highlight that he struggled hugely would be dishonest.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Was such a weird sub. I am usually for young players given a go, and he will be some player one day I'm sure. But why not Scott who is stronger, got experience, defended well in Cardiff and Peterborough games when coming on to play left midfield. What has Scott done wrong, he had a decent game against Forest.

And I know people don't rate him but O'Dowda did well defending corners last season. Bringing on Benarous another tiny player and having brought on Dasilva too and bringing off Pring (injured) and Bakinson who are both competent in the air. No wonder we looked so vulnerable from set pieces with the players we had on the pitch.

But more importantly O'Dowda would be better at getting us up the pitch, which we could not seem to do for much of the 2nd half. 

Pearson subs often make little sense to me. Palmer on against Forest when winning another.

What like he did when he came on against Forest? O’Dowda for me is not the player you write about. One game maybe a season he’s good then it’s back to normal. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Maybe just for a change, just wanted someone with energy on the pitch who hasn't been mentally scarred. 

Someone for the fans to get behind,someone for the senior players to rally around. A distraction from the nervous energy. 

Concede and its insanity 

Win and it worked; was it down to the sub? Prob not, but it's not like the standard option has worked for the last 18 thousand years 

A wise observation. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Look, he could well be the next big thing by 2024 but with O’Dowda, Scott or even Simpson sat watching it was incredible he came on & despite some saying he wasn’t any worse than others that is simply ridiculous, he looked a mile away on that evidence.

If you look at my post history I tend to be pretty supportive & have seen the likes of Scott, Conway & Sam Pearson come in as youngsters & do ok.

Not to highlight that he struggled hugely would be dishonest.

Pearson plays these players on merit. Fans are entitled to assess their performance on the same basis.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

How many of the members of this forum can remember the debut of a seventeen year old, still skinny and very raw in football terms? I can't remember his name but he did have one or two tidy games for two City's.

Well you could be seeing the beginnings of another one!

Tom Ritchie?

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I am not a COD fan but while Barnsley were pushed up to the halfway line we needed someone to run through with the ball. He seemed the obvious choice to me this time, just to stop them camping in our half. Even their keeper was almost in our half, it was nuts that they felt able to do that. 

O’Dowda’s had chances to help us close out games and failed pretty miserably. No probs with NP trying something different. 

• Like 2

Several of our senior pros have shown themselves to be chancers stealing a wage for many games this year so I’m not going to give a lad on his debut too hard a time tbh.

I’m 100% for giving kids a chance just now as I simply don’t want to see plenty of the well paid professionals who are performing like donkeys anywhere near the pitch.

• Like 14

Benarous has got a lot of talent and I didn’t see the harm in giving him a run-out from the bench today as it showed how far away he is from the first XI. Alternatively, he might be ready but was just overwhelmed by it all today.

Either way, that’s another academy graduate making their first XI debut (that’s a positive) and I think he’s got a good chance of making it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tin said:

Benarous has got a lot of talent and I didn’t see the harm in giving him a run-out from the bench today as it showed how far away he is from the first XI. Alternatively, he might be ready but was just overwhelmed by it all today.

Either way, that’s another academy graduate making their first XI debut (that’s a positive) and I think he’s got a good chance of making it. 

His comments to Nige was how quick it was.

• Like 1

At least he was able to take the ball into the corner near the end, something some of his more experienced colleagues could have done against Forest but chose not to.

If your looking for someone who gave the ball away cheaply what about Martin, twice in his own box.

13 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Tom Ritchie?

No, Sir Gerry.

In his first full season, plenty of City fans voiced very negative opinions about him. Tons of humble pie eaten

I'm not saying Benarous will be as good. But experienced managers like Pearson do not throw 17 year old kids to the wolves. They know it will be tough but have confidence that the young one will not let anyone down easily.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Prime said:

You don't want to knock the kid, but you did anyway. Incredibly harsh. He hardly received the ball and the times he did he was tackled by his teammates (Martin in a counter attacking situation and Wells in the box). I wouldn't say he played any better or worse than anyone else. The one time he was in a position to take someone on, he was outmuscled, but arguably it was a foul. I also thought he was committed and helped out in defence.

I really thought this would be a thread about how great it is to see another academy product make his debut. I really hope he doesn't read your post.

I agree with you, glimpses of talent there and certainly has some pace, hope he gets more minutes very soon.

I agree he struggled today. A surprising substitution and a massive gamble to bring him in in such a high pressure game. I would have thought that if NP doesn’t trust the likes of players like COD, then Scott would have been a more obvious choice seeing as he has impressed so far and we badly needed someone to hold onto the ball. 

Postives - it was good to see Benarous run at them with the ball (we don’t do that enough) and he took it into the corner to buy time when some of our other players seemed intent on giving them the ball. 

FWIW I think we missed Bakinson when he went off. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Honestly now - still think that?

Yes, palmer and cod coming on when we are trying to hold on to a lead is like playing with one less player.

the only shame is that benarous and scott are similar style of very young player, potentially competing for 1 spot. If one of them was a centre back, or left back, they might get more of a chance

Bizarre substitution and you give him a debut when coasting a game not when under the cosh.  He’s a play maker/dribbler  but we never had any of the ball and all we can judge him on is his defensive ability which admittedly wasn’t great.  He’s a massive talent & don’t let’s judge him on today as Pearson got his debut completely wrong.

Without knowing too much about him admittedly, is wide right his natural position? If not seems strange playing out out of position, in front of an also relatively experienced Tanner. I don’t think today was the right game for him to come in to. 
However to throw a big positive out there I was delighted to see him do what several senior pros have failed to do this season from a winning position and manage the game. Booted the ball away a couple of times, and twice looked to run the ball into the corner (I maintain we would have won a couple of games already if we were better at this). 

• Like 2