IGNORED

Christmas nostalgia.

The Batman

Films, songs, traditions 

Wack them all on here. Share some ideas that others may want to follow. 

Could be obvious ones, ie watching its a wonderful life on Christmas eve. 

Or something obscure, Only You by The Flying Pickets was Christmas number 1 in 1983 and everytime I hear it, always reminded of Christmas growing up because it was on Christmas tapes / cds that used to be played at mum and dad's house. 

• Like 2

As a child I was sent out on Christmas eve to deliver presents to friends and family. Turns out it was just ploy to get me and my brother out the house so our presents could be wrapped. Now I drag my wife to see the same people from our flat. 

Also any carol service, preferably whilst wrapped up warm, in the cold, holding a candle.

Pubs closing at 3 and not reopening til 7. 

All day opening has knackered Xmas eve. 

Back in the day everyone finished at 11.30 and were in the pub for 12. Leave at 3.15, home for a kip and back up for the night.

Nowadays everyone finishes at different times and you miss the early finishers. 

Bah humbug. 

• Like 3

circling the must see telly in the bumper Radio Times edition. Lots of great films/telly on in the morning, especially the old black and white classics, including Laurel & Hardy, Champion the Wonder Horse, White Horses etc

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Great Escape.

Christmas Top of The Pops with Slade, Wizzard, Mud etc when the songs were out originally. Johnny Mathis, Boney M…Christmas in the 70s!

As a teenager/adult, to the pub early afternoon on Christmas Eve in Keynsham or Bath…getting home about 1am.

we used to have our works do on a weekday afternoon (when it should be) so you felt you were actually getting some kind of treat from work.

• Like 2

I mentioned the old cds and tapes that used to play in our house. 

There was one compilation of the greatest Christmas songs that mum used to play while we were prepping Christmas Dinner and Rock n Roll Christmas by Gary Glitter was on there. That shows how old the CD was. 

Actually a good Christmas song. *puts tin hat on*

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 15:19, Offside said:

I remember as a very young child in the late 1970s going to see Santa in Fairfax House (that massive dept store where the Galleries is now). 

You’re lucky to have found your way out of that labyrinth - there’s rumoured to be people who were still lost in there when it was demolished and never even knew the war was over!

The lifts were also strange as I recall, some sort of dumb waiter type lift for humans?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Who remembers the Covid Christmas when we weren’t allowed to mix households and there was no football, no pubs and no fun?

Too soon? 

Going back home to NS for ‘tier 3’ or whatever it was, we were able to go the pub (Brewers Arms in Banwell) on the morning of, as they were selling sausage sarnies (for 25p) to get people in. 

Downside was they obviously didn’t order any barrels in, so all there was on tap was Carling. Felt so ill after 4 I almost couldn’t eat lunch. 

Edited by petehinton

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Going back home to NS for ‘tier 3’ or whatever it was, we were able to go the pub (Brewers Arms in Banwell) on the morning of, as they were selling sausage sarnies (for 25p) to get people in. 

Downside was they obviously didn’t order any barrels in, so all there was on tap was Carling. Felt so ill after 4 I almost couldn’t eat lunch. 

Oh god I’d forgotten about tiers and Scotch eggs counting as a dinner

• Like 1

Getting a Matchbox Motorway for Christmas.

Always lots of bowls around the house full of chocolates and other treats and always in trouble for eating them !!

Mums home made sausage rolls.

Going to White Lion or Sawyers Arms with my folks at lunchtime for an hour before coming back for Christmas dinner.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1